PDA

View Full Version : kootaney elk

killerforreal
05-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Has anyone heard anything about a reg change for kootaney elk....3 point or better?

05-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Has anyone heard anything about a reg change for kootaney elk....3 point or better?

No, not happening.

GoatGuy
05-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Heard there were only 5000 elk in the east Kootenay the other week.

05-07-2010, 10:46 AM

Maybe between Cranbrook and Wasa.........................

Heard the same story about 4-26, guy told me the wolves ate 'emall, white tailed deer all gone too.

eastkoot
05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I think I saw a large majority of them today while plinking gophers on private farmland!!!:)

GoatGuy
05-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Heard the same story about 4-26, guy told me the wolves ate 'emall, white tailed deer all gone too.

Nope it was all of the ek.:mrgreen:

05-07-2010, 02:39 PM

The wolves haven't killed them all...but the number of wolves in the EK and WK is becoming worrisome. Starting to see more wolf tracks than elk tracks in certain areas.

Jelvis
05-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Of course elk taste good so the wolves eat them like you eat a double greasy cheese burger, with fried onion, sauteed mushrooms, mara nara sauce, mayo and ah, sesame seed bun with real butter slightly toasted.
.... Fries wit Dat?

aggiehunter
05-07-2010, 07:37 PM
I heard the same thing...lots of wolves and a big winter coming...kill em all now before we have to do something!

358mag
05-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I heard the same thing...lots of wolves and a big winter coming...kill em all now before we have to do something!
Count me in too !!! nothing like a goood wackem + stackem BCWF hunt

Fisher-Dude
05-07-2010, 08:17 PM

You're far too shitty a hunter to kill anything.

bearass
05-07-2010, 08:19 PM

That has to be wrong, I thought the elk population was around 18,000 to 20,000. It would take alot of wolves to kill 15,000 elk.

Everett
05-07-2010, 08:33 PM
That has to be wrong, I thought the elk population was around 18,000 to 20,000. It would take alot of wolves to kill 15,000 elk.

Closer to 30,000 was the last # I heard

Jelvis
05-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Let's hope that those elk herds stay strong and healthy they are truly a gorgeous animal to see in the wild Koots. Magnificent animal like in a class of their own. Huge bulls and large cows.

gibblewabble
05-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Get them while you can because from what I have gathered from the news its going to be a slaughter this fall and they are all going to be gone :wink:

GoatGuy
05-07-2010, 09:37 PM
The 5,000 was just something that came from a couple of wonderful people from Crazybrook.

If that was the case I know one rancher who had 5% of the entire elk population living on his ranch which seems highly unlikely. :wink:

GoatGuy
05-07-2010, 10:00 PM

It's tough to have the discussion when a guy doesn't believe in wildlife management or science.

Leaves only experience and knowledge to the discussion. To wander around the bush aimlessly for 30+ years without noticing change or seeing 'into the future' kinda throws that out the window.

Not doing anything and sitting on the internet complaining endlessly certainly doesn't help, but if the present is any indicator of the past that's been going on for years.

All in all, doesn't really leave much to work with.

Although it probably makes you feel better it sure isn't helping anyone else.

05-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Considering the current elk and white tailed deer populations Ernie, is it really any surprize that there's a lot of wolves....?

I'm not worried about the elk and white tailed deer, they can probably sustain the current wolf harvest and they will thus sustain the current wolf population density as well.

This brings the big question to mind,,, what is the current wolf density going to do to the lesser populations like mule deer, moose, and bighorn sheep, and even more critical,,,, what is the current wolf density going to do to the remaining mountain caribou herds....????

GoatGuy
05-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Considering the current elk and white tailed deer populations Ernie, is it really any surprize that there's a lot of wolves....?

I'm not worried about the elk and white tailed deer, they can probably sustain the current wolf harvest and they will thus sustain the current wolf population density as well.

This brings the big question to mind,,, what is the current wolf density going to do to the lesser populations like mule deer, moose, and bighorn sheep, and even more critical,,,, what is the current wolf density going to do to the remaining mountain caribou herds....????

He doesn't care enough to know or understand.

Much easier to sit back and complain about what everybody else is doing.