PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack River Valley

MuleyStalker
05-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I was swapping hunting stories with an older gentleman at work today and we got to talking about mountain goats. He started telling me that when he was young, him and his buds would head up Mount Slesse area and find mountain goats but thanks to overhunting, very few are left. He also mentioned of seeing goats up behind Lady Peak. It never crossed my mind that there would goats in those mountains so I was just wondering if anyone could varify this? Has anyone ever seen mountain goats up the Chilliwack River Valley?:confused:

~T-BONE~
05-06-2010, 09:26 PM
They are there!! Can vouch for that personally. Seen as many as 27 in a day! Most of those high peaks have got them.

Mtn Wonderer
05-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I second that, they inhabit the main cheam range,Knight, Welsh, Foley, Williams peaks have goats usually, counted 22 animals in one group last year, the largest I have ever seen in the last 15 years of hunting region two. Lastly one bit of info all the peaks in the range except Cheam I believe are named after young men who lost there lives in WW1.

MTW

TIKA 300
05-07-2010, 02:15 AM
Seen um up there.

treeclimber
05-07-2010, 07:44 AM
yup they are there

Paulyman
05-07-2010, 07:48 AM
I have seen goats just on the other side of that mountain range up the Skagit Valley.

Gord
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Have also seen them on Mt. Cheam, right on the hiking trail, and that vertical face of Lady Peak that drops to Jones Lake.

Gord.

huntinnewbie
05-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Haven't seen the goats but have seen their tracks and not far off the Chilliwack FSR.

xtremearchery
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
I was swapping hunting stories with an older gentleman at work today and we got to talking about mountain goats. He started telling me that when he was young, him and his buds would head up Mount Slesse area and find mountain goats but thanks to overhunting, very few are left. He also mentioned of seeing goats up behind Lady Peak. It never crossed my mind that there would goats in those mountains so I was just wondering if anyone could varify this? Has anyone ever seen mountain goats up the Chilliwack River Valley?:confused:

I have counted 9 in one evening.

wolverine
05-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Yup. Haven't seen one for a long time but I haven't really been looking either. There also used to be one hell of a healthy Elk population in the valley too. And don't let anyone kid you... there are Griz back at the far end by Paleface too. Seen them and the tracks to boot.

MikeH
05-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Yup. Haven't seen one for a long time but I haven't really been looking either. There also used to be one hell of a healthy Elk population in the valley too. And don't let anyone kid you... there are Griz back at the far end by Paleface too. Seen them and the tracks to boot.
Seen elk tracks last fall deer hunting up chilliwack lake road off the beaten path of course.:mrgreen:

sillybear
05-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I shot my first billy on Lady Peak in 1969. Actually we had one cinamon and one blonde bear of Cheam ridge in the morning, and the goat off Lady Peak in the afternoon.
Goats were a GOS back then.

Jelvis
05-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Check out a Pierce Mountain I do believe it's tickling my outer hunting brain waves ..
Pierce Mtn ... for a silly billy ... Can I get a witness?
Jelly Peirce Mtn Goat ?????? Talk @ Me

wolverine
05-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Was a time, not so many years ago, that it was a hunters dream in the valley. It all started downhill when the road got paved and then the Elk got cleaned out .... and I won't say by which group... but it was a real Mecca as far as game was concerned. It can still produce if you know where to go and get off the beaten path but nothing like it used to be.

Jelvis
05-07-2010, 06:16 PM
The Chilly Whack Valley is good hunting but the local residents do best cause they know the hot-spots ........ POW!
Jellne$$ .. Hot Spots!

MuleyStalker
05-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the info. I had no idea. I did an overnight hike up Pierce last summer and didn't any goats but then again I really didn't look for them. It's my new mission to do a little more hiking this summer. A few spots I'd like to head include Ling lake and Hanging Lake. I'll keep my eyes open for those white goats:)

vortex
05-08-2010, 12:18 PM
I think it was in the '80's the MOE had a LEH on goats in there. They let out 10 permits expecting maybe a harvest of 1 or 2. Ended up 10 goat hunters got 10 goats. The herd nearly dissappeared but has been slowly rebuilding ever since.

~T-BONE~
05-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Ling lake is awesome once u get in there. Seen a dozen nannys and kids, actually walked amongst them with good wind! The hike in though is not for the average person unless the trails been open up again? You can pm me if u would like some more spots

Mtn Wonderer
05-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Went up to Ling last year almost lost my dog on one of the steep rock faces, trail is there but weak. there are a lot of flex ropes on the the steeper more exposed areas.

MTW

MuleyStalker
05-09-2010, 09:04 PM
I would love to hear of some more great areas to explore! I'm in relatively good shape and willing to try to get into some neat places. Maybe you could PM because im no good at this computer stuff and don't know how to PM. Thanks:)

Jelvis
05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
If I were you I would climb up the Thurston Mountain way and see the prettiest hunting area around the chillywack valley and the lovely hiking is world class along gorgeous ridges .. I like Thurston a lot .. look it up 4 access.
Jel Mt Thurston for hiking and hunting is fabulous ..

skeletalmachine
05-10-2010, 04:55 PM
No shortage of goats in the Chilliwack Valley. I've seen them hiking several times and found hair all over the place.

thinkingman
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
was up on foley lake this last february just poking around and saw 6 goats on the rock faces north of the lake. they are there!

thinkingman