PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ranch questions

whitetailsheds
05-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Looking into these packs...and trying to figure 'em out. Interested in multi-day (7-10 day). Have come to the conclusion the NICE frame and NICE 6500 bag are the right combination.
Does the bag not have a harness system to be able to pack already? You have to buy the frame separate? Why not have them together in the first place?
They ask if u want to upgrade the waistbelt...why not just put a good one on in the first place?
Sorry, realize these are "systems"...just new to me....thanks ahead....

TSW
05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
The reason why the pack doesn't come with the harness is because the NICE frame is interchangable with several packs. If you already bought a NICE frame with a Crewcab pack or a 7500 for example, you obviously wouldn't need another frame for $300 when you decide you want to buy the 6500 bag so they give you the option of buying the bag only (that's one of the benefits of the system). The thing about the waist belt, they are both good belts, you can be sure of that. One is just a different style (pocketed), some want it, some don't.

KodiakHntr
05-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Pretty much the difference between the regular belt, and the upgraded belt, is an external pocket on each side. Hold a smaller ranger finder, or digital camera, and your licence....that sort of thing.

Worth the money for the upgrade, in my opinion.

bigwhiteys
05-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't even think they charge extra for the pocketed waist belts anymore? Most people want them. I can fit my swaro 8x30 binos and spot in one pocket. Camera, snacks, even a rainjacket can be stuffed in.

Carl

SHACK
05-07-2010, 06:20 AM
No the bag does not have any sort of harness, just some "tote" handles. The NICE frame is quite slick, I purchased the 6500 a couple months ago, and it is a great looking, built and carrying pack. You wont be disapointed.
I found the website a little bit foggy about the "belt upgrade" as well, but like the rest have told you, its the same belt, just with a pocket on each hip.

KodiakHntr
05-07-2010, 06:33 AM
I dunno Carl, I think they do still charge for them. Although, if a guy talks nice enough at Seacat I think he'd do a deal......Ask me how I know......grin

Although, I'd be hard pressed to stuff my Zeiss into one of those pockets, in fact, it's a tough fit to get the leica 1200crf into mine if its in the case.

That said, still worth the pennies for them. As is an additional water bottle pocket.

bigwhiteys
05-07-2010, 07:23 AM
I dunno Carl, I think they do still charge for them. Although, if a guy talks nice enough at Seacat I think he'd do a deal......Ask me how I know......grin

Looking on my reciept from my pack and they did not charge me any extra for the pocketed waistbelts. I dealt with Andrew Crow.

Carl

whitetailsheds
05-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks guys....what are some other advantages of the NICE bag and frame/ external than being able to change bags on it, and being able to use it as a frame? Want to compare that set up to the Kodiak and Grizzly internal packs.

Everett
05-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Buy a load sling and it turns into a dedicated freighter pack for hauling those big quarters

bigwhiteys
05-07-2010, 08:15 AM
There are quite a few MR packs on eBay right now. There is also a 6500 NICE (bag/frame) for $550 USD buy it now... Not a bad deal.

Carl

05-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I recently purchased a Crewcab...so far I like it, but I haven't put much weight in it yet. I wanted it for day hunts up to 2-3 nights. I think it will work great. Definately a quality pack.

whitetailsheds
05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info guys....one last one, and this is one is regarding the zippers...heavy duty? quality? i've used zippered packs/ pockets and found them to split or break, thus unreliable....

Kody94
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the info guys....one last one, and this is one is regarding the zippers...heavy duty? quality? i've used zippered packs/ pockets and found them to split or break, thus unreliable....

The zippers are heavy duty (on the sides...a little lighter on the sleeping bag "entrance") and I've been impressed with the quality so far.

whitetailsheds
05-07-2010, 11:07 AM
The zippers are heavy duty (on the sides...a little lighter on the sleeping bag "entrance") and I've been impressed with the quality so far.

Overstuffing would be the guilty party here. With any zippered pocket/ compartment, compression straps would be a huge asset/ back-up plan on those spots.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-07-2010, 12:01 PM

That's because you have a WW:?...IIRC. Binderdunnit. New heavy zippers on all my pockets.

SSS

bigwhiteys
05-07-2010, 12:20 PM

The sleeping bag compartment and side entrances are really heavy duty on my bag. The "tube pockets" have lighter weight zips, but still won't break.

Chironomid_16
05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Just got my 7500 last week, very impressed. Good zippers, outstanding quality and service. The pack is bombproof. Cant wait till season opener!

whitetailsheds
05-07-2010, 04:24 PM
That's because you have a WW:?...IIRC. Binderdunnit. New heavy zippers on all my pockets.

SSS

LOL...ya u got it Brent, did have to put new zippers in the side pockets ...time to replace a shoulder strap on my WW now, but figured time to retire it....maybe....and the MR is the choice...

troutseeker
05-07-2010, 07:47 PM
I've got a WW, and I still use it and like it. I also have a Kifaru Longhunter, I use it and like it too.

I will someday get a MR, and will probably like it too. I'm pretty easy to please, I guess...

358mag
05-07-2010, 08:00 PM

SSS
You playing pocket pool again ???

whitetailsheds
05-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I've always felt my WW was quite close to my back, and felt real comfortable. But just had it pointed out how well an internal does for bushwacking, being so close to your back and not really many spots where it gets hung up on brush.
I can see "some" difference between the NICE frame and an internal such as the Kodiak/ Grizzly, but, is there? Is there that much of a difference in how the bag rides with the difference of the frame?

bigwhiteys
05-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I used to use an Internal and moved to the MR NICE and haven't found anything I didn't like. The packbag cinches down tight against the frame (which is not exposed) and haven't had an issue with brush catching it any worse than any other pack.

Toad Hunter
05-09-2010, 10:33 AM
What is the opinion of the Outdoorsman BackPack System?
http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product.sc?productId=299&categoryId=58

I was eyeing this up.

bigwhiteys
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM
What is the opinion of the Outdoorsman BackPack System?
http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product...&categoryId=58 (http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product.sc?productId=299&categoryId=58)

I was eyeing this up.
4600 cubic inches of storage isn't really enough for extended backpacking trips, for the price ($499.00) it doesn't seem that great.

Up&Out
05-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Just got my 7500 last week, very impressed. Good zippers, outstanding quality and service. The pack is bombproof. Cant wait till season opener!

Now, all you need is a bombproof hunting partner! Check!

troutseeker
08-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Anyone her who owns and uses a Crewcab can give me a quick opinion/review?

luckynuts
08-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Have been taking my 6500 for a walk every night while I'm stuck in camp feels great with 53 lbs in it so far. Though the only complaint I have is the shoulder straps cut in a little bit at the top of the arm pit. Any suggestions. I used their site to set it up. Other than that the pack feels really good..

W.

Crazy_Farmer
08-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Same thing with my 6500 though I think it will go away once I put on a couple layers. Only worn tshirts while hiking so far. I find playing around with chest strap aswell as the shoulder straps you can find a very comfy spot.

bigwhiteys
08-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Have been taking my 6500 for a walk every night while I'm stuck in camp feels great with 53 lbs in it so far. Though the only complaint I have is the shoulder straps cut in a little bit at the top of the arm pit. Any suggestions. I used their site to set it up. Other than that the pack feels really good..

If you've got it adjusted properly, you shouldn't even feel the shoulder straps, the hipbelt should be carrying pretty much all the weight.

You can try pulling down on the loadlifter straps, or changing where they buckle up to (there is two options)

Carl

mark
08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
I have to say, Ive been on 3 good hikes with mine so far.
Most comfy pack Ive ever used, compress's very small, goes through bush like its not there.
Expands huge, and quality seems top-notch.
I showed it to a buddy, and he ordered one the same day.
Id reccomend it to anyone!
(I got the 7500 nice combo)
the pockets on the belt are awesome!

338 winmag
08-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Anyone her who owns and uses a Crewcab can give me a quick opinion/review?

Great pack , compact yet unfolds to create a space for half a deer,moose quarter,bear hide etc. Has zippered pockets for bladder and assorted gear. A little heavy but built like a tank. Frame is too short for effective use of the load lifters but also makes it much easier for negotiating thick bush. Highly recommend it.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PB060006.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/PB060004.jpg

whitetailsheds
08-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Have been using the Kodiak for the last 3 weeks now, and have to say what a treat it is.
Hopefully it will see plenty more sheep trips, albeit "south" now (bighorns) with a new focus...
I'd swear the truck and all my gear, loaded themselves and wanted to be doing the "north" trip July 29 all by their lonesome selves after so many years of being northbound at that time of year.
The Kodiak?........ What a ride!

luckynuts
09-03-2010, 12:31 PM
If you've got it adjusted properly, you shouldn't even feel the shoulder straps, the hipbelt should be carrying pretty much all the weight.

You can try pulling down on the loadlifter straps, or changing where they buckle up to (there is two options)

Carl

Gave the boys at MR a call, I sent them pics of me with the pack on, a couple of pointers and Wow! bang on advice. Took it for a 7km hike no pain other than maybe my calves:-D. Thanks Ben/Patrick

Crazy-Farmer Quote: Same thing with my 6500 though I think it will go away once I put on a couple layers. Only worn tshirts while hiking so far. I find playing around with chest strap aswell as the shoulder straps you can find a very comfy spot.

CF try raising your yoke about 1.5 /2" and don't pull down on your load lifter straps to much. My mistakes. Used to cinching down those load lifters quite a bit on the old pack. Man can you say Comfortable!

W.

Crazy_Farmer
09-03-2010, 06:07 PM
CF try raising your yoke about 1.5 /2" and don't pull down on your load lifter straps to much. My mistakes. Used to cinching down those load lifters quite a bit on the old pack. Man can you say Comfortable!

W.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it out, I do normally tighten the load lifter straps quite a bit so that may make the difference raising the yoke and doing that. I'll go for a walk right now haha.

troutseeker
09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
I just received my MR pack today (Nice frame, 6500, Crewcab and 3 loadcells). Very nice, now I have to play around with it a bit to asjust it. It may just be the last pack I ever need!

I bought it off Ebay and got a good deal from a great guy. He tell's me he can get more, so if anyone is interested PM me for his coordinates.