PDA

View Full Version : Old but good: A Rationale for Wolf Control Vancouver Island

GoatGuy
05-06-2010, 11:52 AM
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/finishDownloadDocument.do?subdocumentId=534

Some good reading here.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Linky no workie. Says session timed out.
I'll try a search on their site.

SSS

GoatGuy
05-06-2010, 12:32 PM
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/basicSearch.do

A Rationale for Wolf Control in the Management of the Vancouver Island Predator-Ungulate System (http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/viewDocumentDetail.do?fromStatic=true&repository=BDP&documentId=2894)

Stone Sheep Steve
05-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Used the exact same words and no luck. Privileged user??

Archives?:? All search results were for newer articles.

SSS

shadow1982
05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
click on the second link, it works..

Phreddy
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/basicSearch.do

A Rationale for Wolf Control in the Management of the Vancouver Island Predator-Ungulate System (http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/viewDocumentDetail.do?fromStatic=true&repository=BDP&documentId=2894)

I lived in Campbell River in the late 70's/early 80's when they first reintroduced wolves to the island, and remember the havoc they caused, decimating the deer population and turning on the domestic sheep herds.
After many complaints and threats, the provincial wildlife service decided to hold a town hall meeting in Courtenay to address the concerns of the citizens and farmers.
In those days the students at Carihi School manned the cameras, etc. for the local tv channel and they were televising the meeting live.
A panel of experts was set up and the meeting was going pretty well until one bright eyed young lady on the panel, who was obviously fresh out of university and eager to share her expertise suggested that she had done a study and believed that if the Alpha male in each wolf pack was neutered or castrated the problem would likely take care of itself.
One poor old sheep farmer had obviously had enough of all the crap the goverment experts were spouting and stood up to the mike and stated, "God damn it lady. Those wolves are killing my sheep, not f#%@ing them.
The poor kid operating the tv camera just about dropped it and had an awful time getting it shut off in the ensuing pandemonium.
I've never seen anything so funny on live tv before or since. It was priceless.

BlacktailStalker
05-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Thats pretty funny.
You neuter an alha male and you'll have more problems than you started with.
Goes right along with the b.s that only the alpha female has pups.

Gunner
05-06-2010, 08:07 PM
I lived in Campbell River in the late 70's/early 80's when they first reintroduced wolves to the island, and remember the havoc they caused, decimating the deer population and turning on the domestic sheep herds.
After many complaints and threats, the provincial wildlife service decided to hold a town hall meeting in Courtenay to address the concerns of the citizens and farmers.
In those days the students at Carihi School manned the cameras, etc. for the local tv channel and they were televising the meeting live.
A panel of experts was set up and the meeting was going pretty well until one bright eyed young lady on the panel, who was obviously fresh out of university and eager to share her expertise suggested that she had done a study and believed that if the Alpha male in each wolf pack was neutered or castrated the problem would likely take care of itself.
One poor old sheep farmer had obviously had enough of all the crap the goverment experts were spouting and stood up to the mike and stated, "God damn it lady. Those wolves are killing my sheep, not f#%@ing them.
The poor kid operating the tv camera just about dropped it and had an awful time getting it shut off in the ensuing pandemonium.
I've never seen anything so funny on live tv before or since. It was priceless.Phreddy "they" never reintroduced wolves to Vancouver Island,they've always been there and the population is continually freshened from wolves crossing from the islands near the Mainland Coast.At one time the wolf lovers were going on and on about the Vancouver Island Wolf being a "distinct subspies of canis lupus."It isn't, any more than the Great Bear wolves are.It just gives them more reason to try and protect them! Gunner

Schutzen
05-06-2010, 08:58 PM
At one point they declared wolves extinct on Van Isle.
Gunner... I read about that somewhere too they are just kinda Heinze 57 wolves. LOL
Yep found the article..http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=4a0e27ec-9f00-402c-8255-231408b1da99

Gunner
05-06-2010, 09:46 PM
At one point they declared wolves extinct on Van Isle.
Gunner... I read about that somewhere too they are just kinda Heinze 57 wolves. LOL
Yep found the article..http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=4a0e27ec-9f00-402c-8255-231408b1da99Schutzen I remember that article,what complete and utter BS that is!Wolves were never eliminated from Vancouver Island and their numbers took a huge jump when the logged off habitat favored an increase in the blacktail population.I remember in the 70s MOE trapped some wolves in the Black Creek area,and a couple of them showed interbreeding with dogs but that can happen throughout their range just as it can with coyotes. Gunner

Gateholio
05-06-2010, 10:45 PM
I've never seen anything so funny on live tv before or since. It was priceless.

Heard the exact same story a couple of years ago about sheep farmers in the USA where they had reintroduced wolves. I wonder what SNOPES has to say abotu it?

steel_ram
05-07-2010, 08:53 AM
The Vancouver Islands wolf was once considered a distinct sub-species and in the 70's was considered endangered.

The population boomed since, perhaps to logging opening up the habitat. I also heard that mainland wolfs were illegally brought over to bring down the booming deer population, which were destroying new seedlings. Suppose they could swim to.

I believe there is always a place for wolve's and don't understand why so many hunters, would like them irradicated. I even recall a president of a F & G Club speaking on how he hates them and they should be wiped out. Isn't that ironic?

Phreddy
05-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Heard the exact same story a couple of years ago about sheep farmers in the USA where they had reintroduced wolves. I wonder what SNOPES has to say abotu it?

Don't know if CRTV is still around or not, but if they are they probably have that tape in their archives. It was hilarious.
I can't speak for sheep farmer stories in the USA, but can verify the validity of this one. It was priceless.