PDA

View Full Version : Lost Keys

DGuest
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Hey folks,

I moved last weekend and misplaced my keys.... all of them, in fact in order to move my stuff I needed to open a box and find the spare keys to my truck. I assumed I packed them accidentally and continued on with the move thinking I would find them when I unpacked, I am unpacked and still no keys. So my question to all you wise hunters out there:

What do you do when you have lost the keys to your trigger locks?

I was told by a friend they are pretty cheap locks and I could probably drill it out, but one is on a particularly special/valuable shotgun and would rather not damage the gun in anyway.

Thanks for the help guys!

Shooter
05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I have heard that 2 big pairs of plier's, one on each side will twist them off. If you are concerned about the rifle perhaps a call to a locksmith would be worthwhile.

TurtleGod
05-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Were they all "keyed alike" or no. If they were you can buy another one and problem solved if not then they should not be to hard to pick. YouTube will show you how.

I would suggest when you decide to buy new one's remember to ask for keyed alike just for this kind of thing.

Trigger locks are only there so that the kids don't get into them and it make the FUZZ happy. If they get stolen they will get them open.

Hope this helps.

TurtleGod

BigBanger
05-05-2010, 07:04 PM
If its a Master, just drill it out. I've done it lots.

JoshLedoux
05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Very easy to pick by sliding a coat hanger behind the rubber and forcing teeth away from body

Steeleco
05-06-2010, 08:57 AM
If the rifle allows it, just unscrew the floor plate and throw the T/L in the recycling bin.

Jetboater
05-06-2010, 09:03 AM
one solid hit with a hammer breaks the teeth on the lock... or a rock works when in the bush....

05-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Sounds like there are alot of thieves here or alot of people have lost their keys :)

moosetaken
05-06-2010, 09:43 AM
I took my 1911 in for a trigger job and forgot the keys. I was going to go back and get them and the gunsmith said don't bother and had it off so fast I didn't get a good look at how it was done. He just put what looked like a thick feeler gauge past the rubber and it came right apart.

DGuest
05-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys! I'll give a few of these methods a shot and see how things go.

Allen50
05-09-2010, 04:02 PM
i know how you feel, i lost a whole ring of keys about 6 month ago, still never found them, had to cut the locks off the shop and out buildings, to get in,, has any one seen them?????,, not me anyway,,,,still looking,,i think there out side some place,,???

shotgunner
05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
if you want to save the lock just take a small knife or jewelers screwdriver and slip it behing the rubbers depressing the lock toggle and pull abart like normal. Only takes a second and it works.