PDA

View Full Version : hunting around Burnaby?

islandarcher
03-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Hey Guys:

Have a bit of a decision to make. I may be enrolling at BCIT next year, and may have to take up residence near the Burnaby campus. My major hang up in deciding whether or not to enroll is ultimatly my love of the outdoors. I currently live less than a 20 minute drive from some decent hunting. How far would I have to travel to go bowhunting in Burnaby

Foxer
03-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Bowhunting? Well - more than 20 mins but not THAT far. Certanly not for bear, that's for sure.

A little bit of legwork would likely get you quite a few private places to hunt come fall in the valley, they have a few places in no-shoot zones with a decent population i hear.

There's places around squamish that are no shooting but not no hunting. (there's a few no hunting as well so keep an eye out).

If you're willing to put in the time and research you'll find there are places.

Steeleco
03-27-2006, 03:52 PM
An hour and a half from the Campus will get you to Hope. And there's TONS of area to hunt between the two places. I too love to be outdoors, but don't let that stop you getting an education, a few years at BCIT and you'll be better able to afford bigger and better hunting trips!!! Worked for me :wink::wink:

bushape
03-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Ditto to that steel!

A fellow BCIT alumnus.

bsa30-06
03-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Like steeleco said an hour and a half from bcit puts you in Hope and an hour from bcit will put you at the exit to harrison lots of area around there.I know theres lots of area around there because i live 5 minutes from bcit and hunt the harrison area frequently.I've seen lots of does up there and saw a big mulie in the back of somebody elses truck, and heard of a couple blacktails coming out of that area(in my spot well i guess first come first shoot hey) last year as well.I'm going to go for a drive out that way and see if i can't find me a bear this year.BCIT is a great school don't waste an oppurtunity like that.

ianwuzhere
03-27-2006, 07:46 PM
i go to bcit off and on for skewl- missed first half of huntin season last fall- 2months i was down there- did nothin regarding hunting, sucked, especially when u phone home to hear others are havin a great time, hehe, but i was still able to come home and find sum deer.

bsa30-06
03-27-2006, 09:24 PM
islandarcher, what were you planning on taking at BCIT.?

Foxer
03-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Ian - if you're a bcit student, perhaps you'd best look to your english skills next semester :) they could use 'sum' improvement i think :)

rollingrock
03-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Go to Burnaby Mountain, bring your sawed off spear. A lot of deer are sitting there. :)

islandarcher
03-28-2006, 12:17 PM
looking into the forensics courses there bsa. I am a semester away from my associates degree in criminal justice, and crime scene investigation, geographic profiling and such things seem rather interesting.

MB_Boy
03-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Archer......on another note depending where you live.....you can jump on the highway around BCIT and head the other way up towards Squamish area or even up to Pemberton......Squamish (depending on traffic) would be ~1 hour tops and then you can work your way from there.

But remember......bcboy will tell you that there are NO deer there ;)

Steeleco
03-28-2006, 04:04 PM
And Gatehouse will tell you there's no animals in Pemberton, but me thinks he fibs!!! Once they open the gate to the Indian river, I'll be ll over it!!!!

bsa30-06
03-28-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm going to have to get in the truck and try going squamish/pemberton direction one of these days, i always head the other direction.

TravisC
11-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Squamish is the sh*ts might be nicer if the indian riv was opened. i was there last weekend and no matter what road i went on or how far back i was there was the was someone hugging a tree or walking there dog. For 3 months of the year could us hunters please have the woods that have been designated for hunting. If you want to walk your dog in the winter there are more then enough areas from squamish to pemberton that are no hunting areas! Pemberton would be a great choice for bow but you have to put on lots of miles get in the bush. hike the knolls along ryan river. also if you can get your self to bowen island some quality spots to bow hunt. Best bet would be to finish BCIT first theres many more years to get the big bucks.