PDA

View Full Version : Pack string cost?

Buck
05-04-2010, 11:07 AM
I have always wanted to hunt by horse.How much to run a three horse packstring per year?I'm sure there are many opinions on types of horses gear ect.Is three enough per guy? Lets hear your thoughts.

05-04-2010, 11:25 AM
If your talking hiring a packer, costs are up there and range from 200 to 350 per day depending if you have worked out a deal to just be dropped or have the services of the packer or wrangler in camp.

Great experience, I personally have Hired Steamboat Mountain Jeff Browne 3 times and still wish I could afford it now, having kids and spouse have made it very tough to afford though. He accesses some great area, for Elk, Sheep, Moose etc.

As said, I wish I could do it more often, Jeff is good at what he does but back when I was using him would not do the cheaper drop camps.

Get what you pay for.

CT

boxhitch
05-04-2010, 12:24 PM
How much to run a three horse packstring per year?Owning and maintaining for just the hunting season could be costly, unless you can free range them the other 10 months. Costs can be spread out if you use them longer for rec riding.

Here are some WAGs for a year for three at home
Boarding them out will be way higher.

Basic feed ~ $3000 depends where you buy
Farrier ~ $400 per set, lasts maybe 8 weeks.
Dewormer and flu shots ~ $150

Not sure what you have for equipment, but consider a large trailer may be needed and the larger truck to haul it.

New pack rigs maybe ~$1000 - $1200 each
Decent riding saddles about the same for used.
The list is long of what this could include or not include.

Then the intangibles like fencing and medicine and vet visits. Some years are cheaper than other.

Thats off the top, without much thought.
Others will chime in .

boxhitch
05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Three head meaning one rider and two packing ?
Nice setup. Can be done with less, but who wants to leave the chair at home or the mix ?

Alpine85
05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Should throw around other options also. Cheaper to buy horses right before the trip, then shoot them after the hunt, once you return to the truck?. Would save the year round costs, something to think about anyway. :mrgreen:

300wsmXboltKiller
05-04-2010, 02:06 PM
lmao i know of a few people who have used horses and will nvr do it again but the first thing is first be sure your horse is good around gunfire and is well broke having a horse walk you into trees banging your knees will end your eagerness to shoot anything but it also if your horse isnt good around gunfire id be sure to tie them up well before taking your trophy as you will be packing it by yourself and you will nvr see your horse again :)

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Owning and maintaining for just the hunting season could be costly, unless you can free range them the other 10 months. Costs can be spread out if you use them longer for rec riding.

Not sure what you have for equipment, but consider a large trailer may be needed and the larger truck to haul it.

Then the intangibles like fencing and medicine and vet visits. Some years are cheaper than other.

Others will chime in .

Looks about right for this part of the world.

Think shoes are around $120/horse and they charge around $80 for a trim I believe. 8 weeks, sometimes much less depending on the horse.

Seems like a fair bit more for shots and wormer if you're on a schedule (think the liquid ivermec would be around $25 for 3 horses and they say somewhere around 8 weeks). The paste is more expensive and you're supposed to mix it up. Also we've got that there west nile in the Okanagan. A guy should probably get on that program.

Seems folks are into the 'teeth thing' as well????

Like you say fencing, property and vehicles + maintenance to all the gear which adds up as well. Then there's the wrecks and the vet......................... and the time.

Cheaper to rent them for a couple week trip than it is to own them - that's for sure.

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Should throw around other options also. Cheaper to buy horses right before the trip, then shoot them after the hunt, once you return to the truck?. Would save the year round costs, something to think about anyway. :mrgreen:

As long as you make it out alive. :wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Looks about right for this part of the world.

Think shoes are around $120/horse and they charge around $80 for a trim I believe. 8 weeks, sometimes much less depending on the horse.

Seems like a fair bit more for shots and wormer if you're on a schedule (think the liquid ivermec would be around $25 for 3 horses and they say somewhere around 8 weeks). The paste is more expensive and you're supposed to mix it up. Also we've got that there west nile in the Okanagan. A guy should probably get on that program.

Seems folks are into the 'teeth thing' as well????

Like you say fencing, property and vehicles + maintenance to all the gear which adds up as well. Then there's the wrecks and the vet......................... and the time.

Cheaper to rent them for a couple week trip than it is to own them - that's for sure.

That plane's looking cheaper all the time:?.

Oh ya, cheaper renting them too:wink:.

SSS

J_T
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Horses aren't "for" hunting. They become a partnership and a lifestyle and as a result are something that you can enjoy while out in the bush and hunting.

They will get you up earlier than you need to, everyday, they will prevent you (in many cases) from a relaxing vacation on a beach, they will force you to own more property than you need, drive a larger truck than you would otherwise need, they will provide you with opportunities for exercise as you pull in 4 ton of hay each year and shovel out the stalls.

They are fantastic and the relationship one can establish with their horse can be second to known. Next to the dog you'll need.

The cost is really not the question. It's whether you have the commitment and want the lifestyle.

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Three head meaning one rider and two packing ?
Nice setup. Can be done with less, but who wants to leave the chair at home or the mix ?

1 riding and 1 packing is pretty tight if a guy's going for a couple weeks. No beer!!!! Pretty limited as to what you can shoot especially if you run into a problem.

Always liked adventure but not too keen on crossing a river on a pack saddle.:wink:

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
That plane's looking cheaper all the time:?.

Oh ya, cheaper renting them too:wink:.

SSS

Hahaha, costs 30,000 to rebuild the engine on the plane. Maintenance on those things is a PITA thanks to TC. Could have owned a lot of horses.

Yes, definitely cheaper to rent now that we've got one at work.

boxhitch
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
No beer!!!! Takes up too much space. Better to pack rum, or better , the concentrate.

Everett
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Well personaly think horses from my exsperiance are evil:twisted: but they sure taste good in a sandwich so this sounds like a great idea to me but mayby just shoot the horse first drop him at the butcher and go rent a plane.:-D

boxhitch
05-04-2010, 04:08 PM
The cost is really not the question. It's whether you have the commitment and want the lifestyle.Actually, this htread is about the cost (see title):-D
You do make good comments about the lifestyle though.

frenchbar
05-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Owning and maintaining for just the hunting season could be costly, unless you can free range them the other 10 months. Costs can be spread out if you use them longer for rec riding.

Others will chime in .

Thats about right...its dam expensive for the amount of time u use them for a couple hunting trips a yr...Hell of a lot cheaper to hire a packer!

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Takes up too much space. Better to pack rum, or better , the concentrate.

Yes there's always trail shortener, but it's nice having a beer horse. Got a bottle somewhere called "Yukon Horse Piss", high test potatoes from the North built a longgggg time ago. With the third beer horse you've got one that's fresh that you can circulate through. The job gets lighter through the trip which means more room for meat.................. if a guy ever shot anything.:cry:

budismyhorse
05-04-2010, 04:17 PM
3 "good" horses = 7.5k (2500 average call it for round numbers)
Tack for all +spare = 4k (unless you rob someone)
Trailer 5k (minimum)
Feed 4k (year round including pasture and hay)
Shoes (twice minimun) and Vet bills = 1.5k

22k for start up costs is my guess.

Keep in mind you can get better deals on each of these prices....however, you may not want to if you know what I mean.

example would be cheap tack = constant problems.....

but as JT states, it isn't about the money, and horses aren't "for" hunting, best you get that thought out of your mind or you are into a world of trouble.

Its a lifestyle.

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Hahahaha, here's a pick from Boxhitch.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Scoop_2009_065.jpg

Moose Guide
05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I have always wanted to hunt by horse.How much to run a three horse packstring per year?I'm sure there are many opinions on types of horses gear ect.Is three enough per guy? Lets hear your thoughts.

figure on 75 small sqare bales per horse for winter(half a bale per horse per day)and about $100 worth of oats, Total feed bill for 1 year should be about - 75x$3x3=$675+$100=$775. Add about $25 dollars per horse for dewormer in spring and $20 for a couple of salt blocks!! This is asuming you have summer pasture!
Buy 2nd hand tack
saddle-$150-$350
bridle-$20-$40
pack saddle-$150-$350 each
pack boxs or panniers-$50-$250 a pair(make your own from plywood or canvas)
learn to trim feet and only shoe when you need to:-D

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
figure on 75 small sqare bales per horse for winter(half a bale per horse per day)and about $100 worth of oats, Total feed bill for 1 year should be about - 75x$3x3=$675+$100=$775. Add about $25 dollars per horse for dewormer in spring and $20 for a couple of salt blocks!! This is asuming you have summer pasture!
Buy 2nd hand tack
saddle-$150-$350
bridle-$20-$40
pack saddle-$150-$350 each
pack boxs or panniers-$50-$250 a pair(make your own from plywood or canvas)
learn to trim feet and only shoe when you need to:-D

Guess it depends on where a person lives.

You'd be lucky to find a small square for $5 in this part of the world nevermind 3. Sold some of ours for $7 last year and they're 55 lbs and it's half alfalfa. Guys are charging up to $10 a bale for good horse hay.

Gilmore
05-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Others will chime in .

Don't forget the trailer, and the truck to tow that trailer, theres another $40,000 minimum.

But don't let that scare ya, I sell timothy hay and I think everyone should have at least 2 horses. Infact my Dad came up with the idea that we start buying horses and giving them away to people, of course with a clause in the contract that you must buy your hay from us. He figures we would be ahead after 18 months!!

Moose Guide
05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I have 5 horses and have never paid more than $3.00 a bale, I type slow and about 30 posts went up while I was figuring, needless to say, I was shocked by some of the other prices posted! I have just found 3 excellent mixed grade horses for $1500($500 each)

Gilmore
05-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Guess it depends on where a person lives.

You'd be lucky to find a small square for $5 in this part of the world nevermind 3. Sold some of ours for $7 last year and they're 55 lbs and it's half alfalfa. Guys are charging up to $10 a bale for good horse hay.

Yep, we charge $7 for a 70-75 pound bale of first cut. Its a timothy/alsic clover mix and is as good as any horse hay you will find. We could probably get $10+ right now, on the other hand the barns are empty and our customers are happy. Around here if you wanna feed crap you can get it for about 4 bucks out of the field.

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I have 5 horses and have never paid more than $3.00 a bale, I type slow and about 30 posts went up while I was figuring, needless to say, I was shocked by some of the other prices posted! I have just found 3 excellent mixed grade horses for $1500($500 each)

Never seen the worst of cow hay for $3 a bale around here.

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Yep, we charge $7 for a 70-75 pound bale of first cut. Its a timothy/alsic clover mix and is as good as any horse hay you will find. We could probably get $10+ right now, on the other hand the barns are empty and our customers are happy. Around here if you wanna feed crap you can get it for about 4 bucks out of the field.

That's what guys are charging for 55 lbs bales around here. Know one guy who was pre-sold @ $10 for 70 lbs last year.

J_T
05-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Actually, this htread is about the cost (see title):-D
You do make good comments about the lifestyle though. My point is, there can be no direct cost evaluation. It's a lifestyle. I thought I was on safe ground (relative to the subject line) with all the plane discussion and the discussion on disposable horses. Cheese give a guy a break. (do I have to use one of the stupid smiley things to let you know I'm razzin?)

Gilmore
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Actually, this htread is about the cost (see title):-D
You do make good comments about the lifestyle though.

I agree with JT, if you are going to shell out mega bucks, trailer, truck, and barn + horses and tack + yearly expenses, you'd have to be loaded not to make it part of your lifestyle. I see people everyday who can barely afford rent and food, who work 2 jobs just to shell out money to feed and board their horses. Why, not because its their lifestyle, because its their life. To take on 3 animals and care for them properly plus haul them around, like I said you make a bigger check than me if it doesn't change your life a little.

daycort
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Get one good ridin horse, thats been to the mountains before1500-2500$. 4 heinz 57's. Meat prices right now are about 30 to 40 cents/lb. Surley out 4 young horses you should be able to make a 2 or 3 pack horses. The ones that don't turn out just send them back to the auction for meat. The ones you will want to buy will have big hairy feet and a head long enough to eat oats out of a 45 gallon drum, and no whites showing in there eye. Buy some used equipment(500 dollars for a decent riding saddle and 350-500 for pack saddle rigs) replace cinches, tie strings and latigos with new ones.

With feed I would suggest hand feeding out of round bales. I buy good quality horse feed for 50$ for 1500 lb hard core bales from here at home, put down in the interior I would imagine the same bale would be close to double that. I have 6.5 horses and last winter I bought 21 bales. I trim all myself, and just get shoes around july(110 a horse). USed trailer about 5000$. Deworming is pocket change something you would spend at the pup in an hour. People that love there horses don't really add up the costs trust me.

waistdeep
05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
:) :)

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Just picked up a couple aluminum adjustable custom packrigging saddles, the older style plastic boxes, all the riggin', basically new, $500 per set.

Guess there's some decent deals out there if a person keeps their eyes peeled.

boxhitch
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Hahahaha, here's a pick from Boxhitch.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Scoop_2009_065.jpg
Thats going extra lean. one rider one pack horse. May choose to walk some.

boxhitch
05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
basically new, $500 per set.Good score.
Deals can be had for the schrewd.

Buy 2nd hand tack
saddle-$150-$350
Ouch, that hurts just reading it.

Gilmore
05-05-2010, 05:56 AM
saddle-$150-$350

Sure glad I don't have to wear it!

GoatGuy
05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Sure glad I don't have to wear it!

Just as soon walk.

bridger
05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
i have had my own packstring for 40 years and cannot fathom hunting any other way for a serious adventure. That being said as others have pointed out horses are a way of life that require care year round. the initial acquistion cost is only the beginning. Our packstring maintainence is about $6,000 annually. In my view unless you live in an area that allows you to use your horses more than one trip a year and only if you are ready for a lifestyle change you may want to hire a transporter the cost will be about the same without you worrying about the constant care of a packstring. To the initial cost you have to have tack, and a horse trailer, and a pickup that is capable of handling it. the other big factor is learning how to use horses in the mtns which is a discussion on its own.

Buck
05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info guys i may have an opportunity to move to the Kootenays and was trying to figure that lifestlye into the mix.I also need to know how many acres i would need of my own to keep the beasts.Learning to use horses in the wild as you say is another discussion.I am surprised that this is not talked about more here.Still it seems about the same startup cost as buying an Argo and probably the same maintanance cost.:mrgreen: with the horses having the edge in the backcountry.

J_T
05-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the info guys i may have an opportunity to move to the Kootenays and was trying to figure that lifestlye into the mix.I also need to know how many acres i would need of my own to keep the beasts.Learning to use horses in the wild as you say is another discussion.I am surprised that this is not talked about more here.Still it seems about the same startup cost as buying an Argo and probably the same maintanance cost.:mrgreen: with the horses having the edge in the backcountry. In terms of space, I comfortably had 3 horses on a 5 acre property. 3 separate fields. I managed my rotation and only had to feed mid October to mid April. 5 acres will do, but it does depend on the quality of your property.

Rod
05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
The best education you will find short of working for a outfitter is to join your local chapter of Backcountry Horsemen www.bchorsmen.org (http://www.bchorsmen.org) you will be involved with people who have diverse backgrounds and experience levels but everyone will have a love for horses and a willingness to share info and educate you..

You can jam 20 horses on 2 acres if you desire and many people do it, personally i would shoot for more space, I just bought 10 acres and intend to stick with no more than 4 horses. 3 fully trained to ride/pack and one in training.. this is even a little tight but good management should make for a positive experience for myself and my horses..

if you are looking for more info feel free to drop me a PM ill be happy to share my limited knowledge that I earned the hard way, trial and error to start followed by working as a guide/wrangler for a outfitter who is also a great horseman.

Cheers
Rod

Thanks for the info guys i may have an opportunity to move to the Kootenays and was trying to figure that lifestlye into the mix.I also need to know how many acres i would need of my own to keep the beasts.Learning to use horses in the wild as you say is another discussion.I am surprised that this is not talked about more here.Still it seems about the same startup cost as buying an Argo and probably the same maintanance cost.:mrgreen: with the horses having the edge in the backcountry.

calvin L
05-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Goat guy when the saddle breaks and it will remind me to say I told you so:wink:

boxhitch
05-05-2010, 11:27 AM
The best education you will find short of working for a outfitter is to join your local chapter of Backcountry Horsemen www.bchorsmen.org (http://www.bchorsmen.org/) Thats how I cut my teeth on packing and driving. Our whole neighbour hood belonged at one time.

trapperRick
05-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I found mules to easier/cheaper not as spooked by other critters

frenchbar
05-05-2010, 03:23 PM
i have had my own packstring for 40 years and cannot fathom hunting any other way for a serious adventure. That being said as others have pointed out horses are a way of life that require care year round. the initial acquistion cost is only the beginning. Our packstring maintainence is about $6,000 annually. In my view unless you live in an area that allows you to use your horses more than one trip a year and only if you are ready for a lifestyle change you may want to hire a transporter the cost will be about the same without you worrying about the constant care of a packstring. To the initial cost you have to have tack, and a horse trailer, and a pickup that is capable of handling it. the other big factor is learning how to use horses in the mtns which is a discussion on its own.

your last sentence is VERY important...things can go awry pretty dam fast if you dont know what your doing...can end up costing you a lot of cash for busted up or lost horses...and could even cost you your LIFE .

proguide66
05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I think you either gotta love em to have em or they better earn their keep$ themselves.
I use mine as part of my buisiness , they dont make big$ but I write em off as well anything related to em ( 7 here now).
Horses cost $..no getting out of it ( just like boats) ..there's various ways to make horses 'less expensive or MORE expensive'...sadly there's a horse subculture out there that forgets horses have fur..(wich REALLY DOES keep em warm)....trees/bushes for shelter works fine....my ' heinnz 57's ' are tough buggers and cost me $7 hundred a copy..one of wich is the best damned horse I have ever been on or had ( been on dozens and dozens) .. I shoe them once a yr , trim myself..de worm 3 times a year and make Gilmnores truck payment each year with hay purchases:roll:...really , $100 a month per head for me....I forget how much my pack gear cost..think I bought two complete sets a bit ago with tarps for total 900$ ??..bit more??

You can go ' my little pony club' and move em inside/outside twice a day..change their little jackets each am/pm..give em 6 different suppliments and pay up to $1000 a month board each if you want to!!:mrgreen: ( my girl does that with one of hers...:roll::lol:)
I suggest borrowing one er two for a couple months...you will either love em or shoot em...:wink:...and buy cheap ol mixed blood...my $700 specials are twice the horse as my g freinds $30,000.00 money pit and I'll have em till they die.

GoatGuy
05-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Goat guy when the saddle breaks and it will remind me to say I told you so:wink:

Which saddle are you talking about?

waistdeep
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
A couple of points I will throw in if you buy a few ponies: smaller big boned horses are easier to pack and tie and good feet is The MOST important thing you look for..

calvin L
05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
your new alum pack saddle . We used one and it has broke 3 time . It now is dust ball in the tack shed

GoatGuy
05-05-2010, 09:58 PM
your new alum pack saddle . We used one and it has broke 3 time . It now is dust ball in the tack shed

That would suck.