PDA

View Full Version : Am doing somethin wrong?

shadow1982
05-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I went to Skagit past weekend, Saw few bear scat, but no sign of bear, and I drove around up and down 3 times.

Am i doing something wrong?

Is there anything else i should look for?

Huntergurl
05-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Ya, get out of the truck!!!

springpin
05-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Yup....Use the heel toe express..

camelsfoot
05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Ya your drivin way to slow.:wink:

Drillbit
05-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Wear some spandexx, walk a yappy little dog, and pack some bear spray in a fanny pack

Guaranteed to see a huge bear!

If that doesn't work, set up a tent, wearing the same outfit as plan A, and fry some bacon in a pan on the edge of the fire. Fry all night long. And leave the pan out by the fire.
Should work!

Seriously though, you should see something if there is some green grass and the sun is shining. You didn't wake up early to go did you? Try afternoon. And try to find a creek or some running water.

Good Luck!

Rock Doctor
05-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Maybe spend some time glassing the hillsides

Steeleco
05-03-2010, 03:01 PM
It might help to try walking a little ways in off the road, but it is the Skagit. It's not that easy to find critters in there unless you know the area well.

Paulyman
05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
This is where I have seen bears and would seriously consider spending time if i was looking for one. I don't know how to mark this map, but i am refering to the slash in the top left of the photo just off to the right of the main logging road if your looking at the pic.Take the gps co ordinates and plug them into google earth.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.289146,-121.38952&z=14&t=h&hl=en

300wsmXboltKiller
05-03-2010, 04:09 PM
bears always scat on thew road lol it is there washroom try the living room newly growing slashes and or green hillsides is the first place i would look good luck im going after a big blackie again soon just havnt found the time and it keeps trying to snow here in pg :( by may 15th ill have a pic posted of my blacky if someone doesnt get him first :) he isnt on the salmon fsr :)

moosinaround
05-03-2010, 04:29 PM
bears always scat on thew road lol it is there washroom try the living room newly growing slashes and or green hillsides is the first place i would look good luck im going after a big blackie again soon just havnt found the time and it keeps trying to snow here in pg :( by may 15th ill have a pic posted of my blacky if someone doesnt get him first :) he isnt on the salmon fsr :)
COCKY??!!!!!:wink:

~T-BONE~
05-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Get off the beaten path (main road). Look for sign other than scat, ex. chewed off grass, turned rocks or logs and tracks. Check these spots over glass if u can maybe walk into them other than driving..... watch the wind!!!! Persistence and homework shall pay off.

300wsmXboltKiller
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
COCKY??!!!!!:wink:

sorry if i came across as cocky not my goal indeed i could have been more helpful im not familiar with where he is hunting or i would offer to show him some nice spots i spend most of my bear hunting around salmon valley also many wolfs and moose even some elk in there but it is 10 minutes from home to begin hunting if anyone wants a bear i have some good green grass fields with permission to hunt :)

moosinaround
05-03-2010, 09:53 PM
sorry if i came across as cocky not my goal indeed i could have been more helpful im not familiar with where he is hunting or i would offer to show him some nice spots i spend most of my bear hunting around salmon valley also many wolfs and moose even some elk in there but it is 10 minutes from home to begin hunting if anyone wants a bear i have some good green grass fields with permission to hunt :)
I was just razzin yah!! Bears in this neck of the woods are a dime a dozen!! Salmon FSR North Fraser ect are pretty safe bets for a dead blackie for sure!! So, where are these green grass fields and has there been any ungulate sign of the Wapiti variety??? Moosin

gutpile
05-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Go on sunny evening after a good rain and start hunting about 3:30-4:00pm and you will see bears. Drive slow and look carefully in the bushs, good luck.

300wsmXboltKiller
05-04-2010, 03:36 AM
I was just razzin yah!! Bears in this neck of the woods are a dime a dozen!! Salmon FSR North Fraser ect are pretty safe bets for a dead blackie for sure!! So, where are these green grass fields and has there been any ungulate sign of the Wapiti variety??? Moosin

wright creek road 110 bear sightings last year on this property also a grizz has taken out 4 horses there so im working on getting people to come get some bears there with me i also have a good field in isle pierre area that has shown good promise for a big blackie wright creek is my main bet this year as 110 sighting one huge black and a huge brown on the property last year and isle pierre is more an oat field so better for fall bears

000buck
05-04-2010, 07:05 AM
if your looking for a bear you won't see one....certainly not a blackie.
you need to look for stumps ....with ears, then you will start to see all the bears you've been driving by...

wolverine
05-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Find a slope with Southern exposure or an old road or skidder track that has lots of grass growing in the middle and the sides and then walk that slowly, paying attention to sound and movement and you will likely find what you are after before too long. It sounds like you are new to bear hunting, or hunting period. Remember you are always better off on foot than driving up and down a road. If you're walking you see much more and hear much more. When you're driving you miss the sounds of an animal moving in the bush near by. You've probably driven past more bear than you will ever kill in your lifetime. If you're nervous about walking by yourself then take someone else with you for your first time or two but whatever you do.... get out of the truck!

GoatGuy
05-04-2010, 08:51 AM
I went to Skagit past weekend, Saw few bear scat, but no sign of bear, and I drove around up and down 3 times.

Am i doing something wrong?

Is there anything else i should look for?

If you're seeing bear shit on the road the bears are probably still feeding right there. Just take your time, drive slow and look for bears on the road.

If you spook one off the road keep on driving a km or so and walk back. Set up and wait. 8 times out of 10 they'll be back on the road chowing down within 20 minutes. Either that or follow them into the bush. They're usually not off the road more than 100 yards.

They'll move off the roads once 'the bush' greens up but usually while everybody's waiting for may long weekend the bears are hanging out right on the roads. That's true all the way north of Prince George.

Keep in mind all applicable laws for shooting near roads.

Trust me, it works.

Manglinmike
05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Lot's of good info here allready,like looking for the chewed grass, you can see the grass that has square tops as you drive by it in your truck.If you are seeing piles of used grass along the road,that means that the bear that left it behind is not that far away,look around for chewed grass anytime you see shit piles.LO0K for old roads that have poor acsess and walk them,they well often have a switch back or two that gets great sunlight and is covered with grass,they spots are moneyin the bank even if there is no bear there know there well be at some point.Start making a list of places that show good sign and check them out in late afternoon and evenings and start saving some dough for the taxi guy .good luck manglinmike

BearStump
05-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Theres a spot that I like to go for bear that see's no vehicle traffic. when I drive the valley I do see bears but they are long ways away or running full out. when I walk the valley I surprise them and walk pretty close to them and I have lots of time to judge them and decide on a shot.
Yes I walk the same road/trails that are drivable,. just hope that no-one drives up on me and passes me in their truck.

shadow1982
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, its my first time hunting big game

i shoudl have gone on a better weekend.. it was rainin like crazy. Everytime i saw a trail, i walked about 1 km up, should i consider walking more into the brush, or is that distance fair enough.

boxhitch
05-04-2010, 12:42 PM
We can't judge what you can see in that distance, sorry. You have to go where you have the chance of spotting something before it detects you. That may be just around the corner of the road or trail or it may be out in a meadow or cutblock. The distanc efrom your vehicle should be limited to what you are willing to do for retrieval.
Always keep that in mind. You have to get home, don't use all your gas going one way. That goes for your body too.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Driving works pretty good for bears but driving to a spot where you can pull over and glass-over quite a bit of area from a distance works even better. Spot your bear from a distance plan the stalk and let the excitement begin!

SSS