PDA

View Full Version : Rosevelt Elk and sheep Premiere's permits

lange1212
05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I would like some information as to why the premiere permits were discontinued. I've heard that the GOABC would not support the elk permit as the GO does not benefit from it, but support the sheep permit as it provides access to unallocated areas and the GO providing the guiding service profit personally. It appears the GOABC supports conservation when there's a profit to made but does not support conservation when not. Exactly where does this stakeholders group priorities lie?

My understanding is that the premiere's permits and funds generated would 100% support conservation programs and interets, not provide an additional commercial opportunity, profit and access to GO's to areas that would otherwise be off limits.

Was the removal of the premiers permits a result of this system being *******ized and abused with its function shifted from a conservation program to a commercial exploit for personal profit program?

boxhitch
05-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Looks like you have it right for the most part.
The stakeholders agreed to the original criteria, for the benefit of wildlife.
Then one player feels slighted by the rules he agreed to, and his team supports his claim. They want to move the game to other play areas.
Not all teams agree to this, so the MOE calls a time out.
Whether the old game comes back, or the hope for a new game dies softly, time will tell.

6.5x55mm
05-04-2010, 06:46 AM
From what I have heard the guide outfitter on the island complained about excessive pressure on his area. Due to both permit systems being Linked both had to be dropped. We should see the system back in place next year.

bridger
05-04-2010, 07:16 AM
the position taken by the goabc is that if the hunt takes place in a guides allocated area they will not support the tags unless the outfitter is compensated. so much for conseervation first. at this time it is unlikely the elk permits will be re instated. the sheep tag is a good possibility but with different terms.

boxhitch
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
the sheep tag is a good possibility but with different terms.Then not likely to happen as soon as next year

Kody94
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
the position taken by the goabc is that if the hunt takes place in a guides allocated area they will not support the tags unless the outfitter is compensated. so much for conseervation first. at this time it is unlikely the elk permits will be re instated. the sheep tag is a good possibility but with different terms.

Compensated for what? I didn't realize that they owned the animals. ;)

MuleyMadness
05-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Compensated for what? I didn't realize that they owned the animals. ;)

Exactly...the guides don't own a ****ing thing related to their areas, except the exclusive right to guide hunters there (of course they can own buildings, equipment, etc but I'm sure you get my point).

When you think about it, the guides ARE being compensated because all that money going into conservation means better numbers of healthy animals in the future.

I have never bought one of the tags myself, but I can see their appeal. For the life of me I can't understand why the government wouldn't tell them to **** off and continue the hunt as they see fit...it's not like the GOABC has a RIGHT to anything like the natives do.

Stuff like this is why people need to contribute to BCWF and resident priority. Put ourselves and the animals conservation first and let the GO's have what is left.

I have no doubt a large majority of the GO's in the province are good people, who are just looking to run a profitable business and enjoy their lives. Like everything else it's the ****ing assholes that ruin it for everyone.

boxhitch
05-04-2010, 04:19 PM
That word 'compensation' always flames things up.
Nobodies asking for money
Nobodies asking for trades

lange1212
05-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I appears that the MoE and BCWF did the right thing by removing support of the premiere's permit program due to changes proposed by the GOABC.

I'm appaulled that the GOABC would take a position of personal profit and greed over supporting conservation. Guess this issue shows where their true colors.

It's clear at this point that the commercial hunting sector will only support this conservation program if they can line their pockets with cash. Shame on those GO's with such a narrow minded attitude, those driven by greed and personal gain over that of promoting wildlife conservation efforts that would otherwise benefit us all.

bridger
05-06-2010, 09:01 AM
From what I have heard the guide outfitter on the island complained about excessive pressure on his area. Due to both permit systems being Linked both had to be dropped. We should see the system back in place next year.

not exactely accurate. the issue involved all the elk guides on the island and was not a result of pressure in just one area. the elk permits will not be re instated unless the g/o's drop their request for compensation. also this is not just an issue on vancouver island the goabc position is that any animal taken by the special permit holders in any guide area in the province will require the g/o's to be paid compensation. if the sheep permit comes back and i hope it does the format will be completely different.