View Full Version : Stave Lake area

Yotapup
05-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm wondering if any one has ever tried and had any success looking for bear out the stave lake area, passed the FVSLHA on the west side, or even the entire east side. I did see a black bear cub once last year sitting on the road, looked like a dog till it got up and walked into the bush.

I'm just curious if it's worth the time to make an afternoon stalk since it's so close to home, as opposed to going up Chilliwack Lake area.

Thanks
Brad

Steeleco
05-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Never say never, but that area is thick with off roaders and other outdoor users. I stopped trying in there a few years back due to all the vandalism??

ruger#1
05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
If you can get up high and away from all the atv's and fourwheelers. There are a few ponds way up high that I have seen bears at.Better bet is Suicide Creek. Thats if they do not have the gate up.

stixnstones
05-03-2010, 04:17 PM
dont go to suicide gate is up/

Surrey Boy
05-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Don't leave your truck unattended.

ruger#1
05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
dont go to suicide gate is up/Thats no good, Lots of new clear cuts. You can still go up Dewdney mountain.

Yotapup
05-03-2010, 05:27 PM
yeah I know the area all too well as far as the local yahoos that go up there. (I had my younger days wheeling on the flats) If I do go, it'll be during the week when there is little traffic. I'm sure most of them don't go passed Sayers Lake

Big Lew
05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
If you can find your way into the middle-east side of Stave Lake, (Statlu
creek area and north) you might see some really big bears, although the logging slashes are very old and grown up. I have'nt been in there for a few years, but used to hike way back and up, seeing numerous blacks, some were massive. One of them was probably five hundred pounds or better. The CO at that time, I think he was Rick Hahn, witnessed this same bear, (as big as an average grizzley sow)

ruger#1
05-03-2010, 07:01 PM
yeah I know the area all too well as far as the local yahoos that go up there. (I had my younger days wheeling on the flats) If I do go, it'll be during the week when there is little traffic. I'm sure most of them don't go passed Sayers LakeThey are logging up above pine lake, So watch for logging trucks. Used to be good goose hunting on the flats when they used to plant rice there.