PDA

View Full Version : Wabbitt huntin

ianwuzhere
03-26-2006, 12:31 PM

Went for a hike the other day, seen a few rabbits. That nite i upgraded the ol 4 power scope on the .22 to a 3x9 cheep Walmart bushnell scope for under $100- any reason to upgrade is a good reason.

Next day sighted it in and walked the same area lookin like elmer fudd.
Brought home a few wraskly wabbits, taste pretty good and was pretty fun. Missed one- shot twice at it and both times lil willow branches fell down that were in front of the rabbit, hehe.
Anyone else ever try huntin wabbits in the snow??
cheers...:D

johnes50
03-26-2006, 12:43 PM
When I lived in Jasper a friend and I would go outside the East Gate and hunt bunnies in the snow. He would take his shotgun and I would take my .22. If we flushed one he would have first crack at them and if he missed I'd use the .22. It worked out well and we had lots of fun. We would swap guns every once in awhile so we got good practice with both guns.

CanAm500
03-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Sounds like fun :)

FlyingHigh
03-26-2006, 12:56 PM
how do you cook your wabbits?

ianwuzhere
03-26-2006, 01:01 PM
i keep all 4 legs and especially the nice tenderlion strip along their spine. Quick and simple just fry them. It can be pretty tuff- especially the skinny front legs where there isnt a lot of meat.
When i fry them i always add water to the frying pan so its gettin boiled while i fry em- water boils away= add lil more. Works pretty good to eliminate having tuff meat. Add some spices and its good to go...

MichelD
03-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Are those snowshoe hares?

Benthos
03-26-2006, 01:48 PM
i would think those are snowshoe. that's mostly what is around pg i think. ian, you out near tabor mtn?

ianwuzhere
03-26-2006, 08:10 PM
ya snowshoe hares- nope i near salmon valley...

ruger#1
03-26-2006, 08:15 PM
i use snares, the twenty two works good to.i was hunting in 100 mile one year,at the end of october, and in the evening, i was out looking for deer. every thing was green exceopt for the white ghosts, and there were lots of them, went back early the next morning and taken eight of them. it was fun. i didnt have to walk . i shot one then onother. it seemed every wher i turned there was a rabbit.

marcus44
03-27-2006, 11:04 PM
I hunt wrascilly wrabbits in the snow on a regular basis, well when I can. Its fun trying to spot them, hones the eyesight. Had bad luck with the last wrabbit I shot though.... Made a perfect head shot and he fell back into his hole, which turned out to be about 5-10 feet deep and I could not for the life of me get him out of there.... which totally wrecked my afternoon after getting the sick feeling of leaving a shot animal without retrieval but I know I made enough effort to retrieve it.

Other then that, just need to get some snowshoes or x-country skiis to go deeper after the wrascilly lil buggers. Whats up Doc.

000buck
03-27-2006, 11:08 PM
quarter them lay in a caserole dish veggies (potatoe carrots peas what have you ) fresh black pepper green and red pepper a bit of onion and gravy mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. wabbit yum

harbinger
03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
For cooking waskawee wabbits you must use hosenpfeffer!;)

mark
03-28-2006, 02:56 PM
used to hunt em as a kid in 100 mile. 8 years old me and dad used to get 20 a day!