PDA

View Full Version : Looking for fishing buddies

Toma Grubb
05-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi,

Found this site when doing a google for Halibut Bank. Looked promising but the general consent was not a good place for halibut.

Might be good to start off with a short intro. I am a landlubber from Colorado and moved to Vancouver Island at the urging of my wife. Bought a boat last Sept and have been getting it ready for this summers fishing season. Putting it in the water today or tomorrow getting ready for the "Just for the Halibut" tournament next week down in Victoria. At present there is a fourth spot on the boat if there is anyone interested. My son is here from Hawaii and we will be fishing all of the waters around Vancouver Island and as many tournaments as we can find. I have also set up a website (http://www.Nanaimo-Salmon-Fishing.info)to help find fishing buddies interested in getting out on the waters with us.

If anyone has any tips and coordinates for great fishing spots please share.

bighorn
05-02-2010, 11:11 AM
how big is your boat

shaner338
05-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Fish for hali's off Constants or West Race.
Just follow the boats!:mrgreen:

NaStY
05-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Well welcome to the site. There isn't a lot of fisherman on here but some do get out when hunting is closed.

What you are offering is against the law as far as fishing/guiding goes. I sure hope you have a guides license. Cause if you don't, you will be fined and maybe loose your boat. What you could do is offer to take someone fishing and if they decided to offer some money for fuel and food, then that would be border line. But supplying everything for a fee, well that's just plain guiding...

SPEYMAN
05-02-2010, 08:36 PM
There are no licensing requirements to guide in the salt water.

blindguy
05-02-2010, 08:51 PM
no such thing as a saltwater guide license he is doing no wrong.
wish there was a guide license though

scallywag
05-02-2010, 08:58 PM
i thought you were looking for friends not just someone to take on a guiged fishing trip for 200$

NaStY
05-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Apparently I'm wrong? :confused:

Sorry about that. I just thought that guiding in Canadian waters required some sort of licensing ....I only ever guided in non tidal.

Good luck with the venture.....

Salty
05-02-2010, 09:13 PM
i thought you were looking for friends not just someone to take on a guiged fishing trip for 200$

LOL, 2 bills to be 'guided' by the landlubber who's asking here where the fish are?? that's some funny shit. :mrgreen::mrgreen: Nice first post. Anyways, have fun I guess :-?

303Brit
05-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Seems to me you're style is more of a trolling style than a bottom fishing style ;)

RJ
05-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I've caught a few big ones of Notellin Point. Varying depths.
Also, check out Payurdues Reef, its in the same general area :-D

05-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I think the guy was just asking for a partner to split the gas.
He never mentioned being a guide.

But you Should spell check your site

Notka Sound, etc. should be planned as a 2 or 3 dayr outing.

Nootka and Day

Any way welcome to the site and good luck in your fishing season
007 664

kojero
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Lots of halibut out sayward way

capt.T
05-05-2010, 11:32 AM
You don't need a "guide license" in tidal water. You have to register your boat as a small commercial vessel with transport Canada. It cost $50 and requires an inspection of your boat.
If you are only guiding on protected water all you need is the PCOC, and ROC-M if you have a vhf. There is a list of protected waters on the transport Canada web site.
If you are planing to guide outside those protected waters you need the SVOP (small vessel operator proficiency), MED-A3, and a 16 hour marine first aid. With that you can guide up to 25 miles off shore.

I think guiding without that voids your insurance, and a $250 fine if you get caught.

P.s. halibut bank is closed for fishing it's an RCA. If you live on van isle you should be going to the west side, to spots like, swiftsure and La perouse (aka the big bank). If you need directions p.m. me.

good luck :)