PDA

View Full Version : For Hunting Pathfinder vs 4 Runner

blackford
04-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Well , I have a f 150 that i find isnt big enough as far as the cab goes for me, my wife and the 2 kids. I need something with a bigger cab... so i decided to get her ready for the market. I had a buyer interested in it and he was going through a rough time so i agreed to hold it for him... but...... no tickey no laundry as they say....

Anyhow with selling a vehicle comes a new one being purchased. I have narrowed it down to 2 vehicles. The 4 runner or the Pathfinder. With each i would buy a light trailer for hunting so i can pile the deer in it. But i am looking to spend about 12 to 15k so i am wondering?????

what would you buy.. a 4 runner or pathfinder

anyone hunt with any of these 2 vehicles ever. what do you find... how did you like it

cloverphil
04-30-2010, 11:42 PM
the Nissan Pathfinder is not a good choice in my opinion, I own one and have had to change the front control arms twice for the bushings wearing out, and now I'm doing the rear ones tomorrow, I think it was made for driving 4x4 in the snow and rain but not offroad,

putting the suspension through too much travel too often - it was not built for

blackford
04-30-2010, 11:50 PM
thanks cloverphil this is exactly the knowledge i wanted to tap into

anyone else

MFERGIE
05-01-2010, 02:54 AM
I know you didn't post anything about Jeeps on here but that kinda money would buy a pretty sick Cherokee capable of hunting or driving the kids to school....not to mention parts and labour is much less costly on domestics vs imports !

Slime green cat
05-01-2010, 06:08 AM
I dont have any first hand knowledge on the Pathfinders as I have never owned one, but I have had a few 4Runnners and Toyota trucks, and I can tell you that you wont find a better bush vehicle .... tough, reliable and capable ... period
You should look for a mid 90's Landcruiser over a 4Runner . The 4Runners are great, but they dont have alot of room inside . the Landcruiser are a bit more $$ , but are twice the vehicle in my opinion .

The Hermit
05-01-2010, 06:30 AM
I had a Pathfinder and it was flawless for 100K and I took it into the back country all the time. AWESOME vehicle. So maybe Cloverphil got unlucky or perhaps had a different model year but my 1995 and was terrific.

Franko Manini put 300K+ on his 1987 with only normal wear and tear and again he beat hellish hard on it in the backcountry too.

I think the newer model years are bigger and I can't speak for them... but if I were buying one today I'd go with one of your two choices for sure! My Bronco 11 sucked donkey balls and let me down numerous times and once had to stay out overnight when it just quit one day.

scope-bite
05-01-2010, 06:42 AM
I used a 90's 4-runner all last summer for bush work. Was really impressed how it performed on the rough logging roads and would recommend for a hunting rig. It was really smooth on rough terrain and had good clearance, although the 4 cyl was pretty gutless and I would go for the 6. Surprisingly tough vehicle!

Brambles
05-01-2010, 07:28 AM
I would suggest the 4runner. We had a pathfinder and it was a complete POS, stripped the torsion bars out of it twice, had to almost completely disassemble the thing to get the transmission out of it. Not easy to work on.

tim3500
05-01-2010, 08:08 AM
OK this is just a opinoin The Toyota is a Quality product that has a proven track record I owned one that came with a Argintenian(spelling?)registration had 478000 km when i sold it and still got $3500 for a 86 4runner with rust so they do hold there money and are dependable but there are some horror stories out there to ! . I have seen some Pathfinders with the same sort of history and have had the same milage but they dont hold there price qiute as well and dont have the off road capabilitys as the toyota but still a Quality product . Both get poor milage Toyata with a 22r 21mpg Pathfinder 18 mpg I would expect more form a high priced SUV I am a Auto Mechanic for 25 years and have Nissan dealer experiance so what do i drive a Dodge with a Cummins gets the same milage but pulls and tows and hold 6 in a pinch and 4 comfortable just a opinion !

digger dogger
05-01-2010, 08:27 AM
4 skin runners are a good choice, very tight inside, if ur a big guy with lots of gear.. i've had 5 toyotas no real nightmares, keep up the maintanance..
x2 on slime cats info..

MB_Boy
05-01-2010, 08:58 AM
I had a Pathfinder and it was flawless for 100K and I took it into the back country all the time. AWESOME vehicle. So maybe Cloverphil got unlucky or perhaps had a different model year but my 1995 and was terrific.

I have to agree.....I am on my 2nd in 10 years and have had NO issues at all. Normal maintenance type things.....brakes etc, but other than that I would recommend them whole heartedly.

What year are you looking at buying??

swampthing
05-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Go with the 4runner. I bought my wife one a few years back that had the lift and a few other goodies. It was a full load and was pretty plush bouncing through the hills. It was a 93 with 300k on it. Not much power in them for the hwy. though. Ours had the 6 banger with an intake and exhaust on it. It sounded cool but there was not much passing going on. My wife just bought herself a Hummer H3. Now that I got the suspension and cold air intake on it, we are going to trade it for an FJ Cruiser, so I can start over again. Right back to Toyota. My dad bought a new nissan in 89 and ran that rig for 400k. He hauled firewood with it and it was a good truck. Go toyota though.

rhinogeek
05-01-2010, 10:06 AM
My in-laws have a Pathfinder, and although I can't speak to how it would fair hunting - I've always found it pretty cramped space-wise. The back seats seem to sit really close to the floor, which makes for a really awkward leg angle when sitting there. I've also noticed that even as far as usable space goes for gear/cargo - I can fit more gear in my CR-V than they can in their Pathfinder.

blackford
05-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Well it looksa like nobody has a bad thing to say about the 4 runner.

Well I should probably sell my truck first and get to this.

arcadia
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Try a Cherokee. They are cheaper and never die.

blackford
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I am looking to spend 13 grandish.

I have a f 150 that I in excellent shape but I can't fit my kids all in with car seats....it was at the mechanics today getting a oil change and he kept telling me I would be crazy to sell it cause it's in awesome shape.

Ferenc
05-02-2010, 02:19 PM
If you decide to buy a 4runner stay away from the v6 3.0 the motor is crap!!!! they have a fault with the head gasket design and had a recall stay away!! as for the 22r 4cylinder thats the way to go a much better motor, I know 4runners beleive me!!!! check out the recall

blackford
05-02-2010, 04:46 PM
ference... what years are you talking about?

skeletalmachine
05-02-2010, 04:51 PM
If you are going to avoid the 3.0 v6 4runner, do it beacuse of fuel mileage, not the recall. The recall is OLD news and most trucks have had the head gasket redone witht he newer reinforced one. Just ask the seller.

Either way, I second the landcruiser option!

Slime green cat
05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
The head gasket on the 3.0 v6 is old news . They weren't all affected, and even if you could find one that hasn't been done on the recall yet.... I would say your safe anyways if it hasn't blown yet it probably never will .
The 3.0 v6 was first available in 1989 in the pick ups and then in the 4Runner in 1990 . I think the recalled years were 91 to 93 or 94 . Other than that one issue, they are a solid engine ... not a power house and drink alot of fuel for there size, but 2 that I owned logged over 400 000 kms and still didn't use any oil ... I also have a couple buddies with over 300 000 ks on there's with similar results . They are a good engine .
Either way it shouldn't be an issue for you because your price range puts you in the 1996 to 2002 body style witch was available with a more efficient and powerful 3.4 liter v6 . They also had a 2.7 liter 4 cyl as the base engine .
No known issues with either one .

I would still look into the bigger Lancruiser wagons if I were you . They are bigger, can tow more ... have a solid fron axle and they had optional front and rear diff locks . You will not find a tougher and more capable family off road vehicle .
Something like this http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/1713413266.html
The Cruisers can also be found in right hand drive diesels imported from Japan if sitting on the wrong side isn't an issue for you ? Some of the imported ones even have air ride captains chairs and factory winches and snorkels ....True factory bush machines :twisted:

Good luck :)

chinook
05-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Well Im kind of in the same situation as blackford, except Im in the market for an SUV 'cause the wife and I are expecting our first in late September....yes, I know, bad planning on my part as Im a moose hunter!! I've been looking into both the 4Runner and the Pathfinder as well as the X-Terra. Has anyone got any advice or experience on the X-Terra as well?

Im 6-4" so head / leg room is a concern for me.

Any tips are appreciated.

Ferenc
05-02-2010, 10:18 PM
carsurvey.org hit toyota then 4runner then year

cloverphil
05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
our pathfinder is a '97, plenty of horsepower with the 3.3 V-6 but we had horses last year about 2 k off the main road down a dirt road every day, so maybe too many pot holes are to blame for the bushings wearing out, the replacement neoprene bushings for Sou. Cal. are way better than the stock ones

the Exterra maybe a better option if you're looking at Nissan

Tarp Man
05-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I have been through this debate from many angles, none of which I have decided on. I spent 2 years hunting out of a 1999.5 Pathfinder with a standard transmission. That thing was solid for driving down gravel roads and can fit two blacktails plus two guys and gear with the back seats down. It can tow a small trailer without too much difficulty, but there were issues with it from time to time. Electrical mostly. Still, an ideal vehicle for hunting with family and friends. Can also sleep in the back with the seats down.

A 4runner is the same style, but is slightly longer and narrower. Get the 3.4 V6, unless you plan to take your time up hills, with a full load, or on the highway. Besides, the fuel mileage savings is not worth the extra strain on the engine. Stay away from the traction control systems on the 2002 and newer models. It cuts power as soon as the wheels start to slip, like ABS for your gas pedal. This feature sucks big time.

If you aren't stuck on a standard transmission, you could look at the 2001-04 Tacoma crew cabs. They have the same cab space as the 4Runner, are the same engine and drivetrain in an automatic, and have the short box for wet gear, dogs, and deer.

mijinkal
05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
I have an 85 4runner, lifted and locked and it is pretty damn solid but I don't use it as a family vehicle. It's more of a bush beater because it's a bumpy ride and doesn't have many luxuries. There also isn't much room in the back after you put in the kids and hunting gear. You'll have to get a roof rack or trailer if you plan on bringing an animal home.

For 15g's I bought an 05 GMC Sierra crewcab 4x4 with 110k's. There's way more room for the kids than most SUV's and you have the option to pull a trailer if you wish. There's also a hell of a lot more cargo room in the bed of the truck.
I have 2 kids and there's more than enough room for the family plus all our gear. I took my kids hunting with me last fall and we spent a night sleeping in the cab of the truck. The back seats fold down flat so it easily turns into a bed.
That's my $0.02

GN HNTN
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
As a previous owner of 1987 PATHFINDER and current owner of a 1997 4RUNNER I can only say that the 4RUNNER is the vehicle I would choose over PAYHFINDER. I bought mine 4 years ago with 160k and I have more than doubled that and my vehicle is always heavy during hunting season, because I also sleep in it. It does not cost much to maintain it, and the gas mileage is pretty decent.
Just remember that most of the new SUVs are unibody and are good for maintained highways and roads, and not for a typical hunting terrain.

Benelli FanBoy
05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Go with the Toyota, only Nissan worth spending money on is a Nissan Patrol, which you might not be able to get your hands on in Canada

The Hermit
05-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Which ever vehicle you decide on be sure to look on Ebay for dealers n the US... much less money and the dollar is high, importing is easy! I saved at least 10K on my Frontier.

DGuest
05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
I have a 93 4runner and love it, great off road etc. It always surprises me what I can get through, very reliable, I never have to do anything but change the oil. BUT if I did it again, which I will when this one dies on me, I would go for something a little newer, mine doesn't have 4 wheel abs so it's a little sketchy (I'm only 25, grew up driving cars with full abs) and the 3.0 L is kinda guttless, those are my only 2 complaints, that and the rear window is cool but it is bound to fail, everyone knows it does.

For a family it's not that big inside, 6'2" and my seat is all the way back, not much room for your kids unless they are short, and if they are... I'm sure they won't be for long!

Someone mentioned maintenance on foreign vehicles is more expensive.... that doesn't matter when you never have to fix anything. My mom had a Corola that she put 400k on, never did anything but change fluids and break pads.

Toyota all the way