PDA

View Full Version : Its just not fair

sealevel
03-25-2006, 06:49 PM
A guy i know from salmon arm shot a hugh mulie by revelstoke i saw pics of it but he had it at the kamloops gun show today it scored 228 huge buck ! The thing thats not fair is he`s a damm road hunter.shoot it right of the road.

Ozone
03-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Some guys are just lucky, others are just jelous

slyfox
03-25-2006, 06:57 PM
My buddys dad shot a full curl ram on his 4 wheeler in ashnola.

Steeleco
03-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Right time, right place!!!

bsa30-06
03-25-2006, 08:10 PM
goes to show you that a little luck can really make a hunting trip a success.I don't have that kind of luck i have to look and look and when i finally find what i'm looking for it seems that i cant get the shot i want.Thats going to change this year .

sealevel
03-25-2006, 08:24 PM
He wasn`t really road hunting he was driving in to his goat hunting area but he did shoot it of the road.Thats the biggest rack i have ever seen.

mark
03-25-2006, 08:40 PM
every dog has his day! you put yer time in and one day it pays off! conrads to the lucky guy!

steveo32
03-25-2006, 10:37 PM
I dont know if that is the biggest rack you have seen if you were at the gun show then the one at ricks booth out scores that one by 14 inches!!!

There were a few nice deer that came in but i could not wait and i guess i missed that hog!

steve

moosecaller
03-25-2006, 11:02 PM
My buddys dad shot a full curl ram on his 4 wheeler in ashnola.

What the heck was the ram doing on his 4 wheeler? They don't have thumbs so driving it was out of the question!:biggrin: And shooting him in the ashnola was a poor shot!

brotherjack
03-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Heck, some of the nicest deer I've ever shot were spotted from the truck while going to/from my favourite hunting spots. It's bound to happen sooner or later when you're driving in/out of good areas. I'm not a "road hunter", but if I'm on the road and I see some game, you can bet your butt I'll take a crack at it (assuming it's a legal hunting area, and all that stuff).

marcus44
03-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Whats wrong with road hunting? Absolutely nothing... you have about as good a chance road hunting as you do walking or sitting. Its all a matter of chance of being in the right spot at the right time. Which he just happened to be.

3kills
03-25-2006, 11:49 PM
plus with road hunting u can cover more area...i road hunt but i also walk and i sit and spot...and honestly i have seen way more game road huntin...and seen some nice game at that...

Foxer
03-26-2006, 01:08 AM
you know - there's road hunting and then there's road hunting.

"road hunters" are hated because of the stereotypic idiot barrelling down the road hoping to get lucky with the radio blaring throwing beer cans out as he goes, then sees something and jumps out and blasts away till he hits it. If it doesn't go down right away and heads off wounded.. ahh well, maybe there's another one up the road.

But it can be a bit of an art too. You can cover a lot of territory and you can learn a HECK of a lot about what the animals are doing and whats happening in the area, and those who are good at it really are a step above the stereotype. It's a good way to scout out a new area you haven't been to before, and you just never know if you'll get lucky while you're doing it.

marcus44
03-26-2006, 03:19 AM
Thank you Foxer, that is exactly my point. I have road hunted for years, covering territory and finding areas to take a closer look at, and see what animals are up to. I have shot as many animals driving as I have walking. And always make sure of kills to best of my ability. Have yet to have one get away (cept the odd bird with a bit of shot in it).

So dont stereotype all us "road hunters" together, we are as dedicated to the sport as much as other hunters, with a few "bad seeds" as I am sure there still are with other hunters as well.

Walksalot
03-26-2006, 06:26 AM
While driving to our cabin for a week of hunting I came around the corner and there stood a respectable whitetail buck. The rifle was buried under some stuff, I don't classify myself as a road hunter, so I couldn't get to it and it turned out to be the only buck I saw.:oops::-(

sealevel
03-26-2006, 07:00 AM
I didn`t mean to start anti road hunting :D :biggrin: thread i guess i didn`t put any smille faces on it. I was giving steve a hard time that he had killed it with his dodge. The other big deer i no of shot around here was shot from the road. I on the other hand have shot some good bucks one close to 200 but i worked damm hard to get it.:biggrin:

Walksalot
03-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Sealevel, I knew exactly what you were meaning. I too have looked at a whole elk in the back of a hunters truck and thought "lucky SOB", everyone we have taken had to be packed out.

I think we all road hunt to a certian extent to locate a good area to hunt. Some really enjoy the drive and it can be a very productive way of hunting. Personally, I enjoy roaming the back country by foot and sometimes it is a real challange to relocate the truck.:biggrin:

Having said that, the biggest mule deer I have ever shot I had to drag off the road to gut it.

marcus44
03-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Alright... my misunderstanding.... just used to getting the ole stereotype... I enjoy both ways of hunting... doesnt matter as long as I am in the bush

Fred
03-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Some of us are just too banged up to do a whole lot of walking even though we would love to do a lot more of it. I really sucks too when someone who can't walk much can't afford a good quad neither. :-( Fred

johnes50
03-26-2006, 11:01 AM
If they opened up Jasper to hunting you could lassoo them and walk them into your trailer they're so tame. Now that's my kind of hunting.

FlyingHigh
03-26-2006, 11:14 AM
my buddy wants to take me road hunting up on gang ranch. i use a bow so i told him that i'll get out of the truck and stalk the deer till it's in range and if he drills it with his lee enfield before i get it with my bow, he will suffer the consequences. 8-)

longhairmtnman
03-26-2006, 06:38 PM
my buddy wants to take me road hunting up on gang ranch. i use a bow so i told him that i'll get out of the truck and stalk the deer till it's in range and if he drills it with his lee enfield before i get it with my bow, he will suffer the consequences
Bring the regs. and a backroads mapbook to be aware of the roads closed to motorvehicles transporting hunters.

'Hunting' the road on the way in, or out, of an area, is done by all, and there ain't nobody gonna pass on a trophy buck when in a LEGAL position to take one the shoulder of an fsr, or other roadway. You have the right when you purchase the tag. Many find roadhunting works for them. Why not? The truck is comfortable and warm. The beer is nearby, and you can pick your tunes to listen to. There is no aching back or wet feet. You don't have to worry too much about getting lost, or injured. You can yuck it up with a buddy. It's good times.
What it boils down to, is that it takes no skill to take game this way. It's not even hunting, it's shooting. To learn to 'hunt' you have to get out of the truck, and put some miles on the boots.
Foxer mentioned luck. He also knows, 'those who learn the skill's, earn the kills'. Hunting IS a gamble. I'd put my money on skill over luck anytime!

marcus44
03-26-2006, 07:22 PM
What it boils down to, is that it takes no skill to take game this way. It's not even hunting, it's shooting. To learn to 'hunt' you have to get out of the truck, and put some miles on the boots.
Foxer mentioned luck. He also knows, 'those who learn the skill's, earn the kills'. Hunting IS a gamble. I'd put my money on skill over luck anytime!

This is the kind of ignorance that I was talking about.... people that think that road hunting doesnt take any skill or anything.... all big and mighty walker. Hunting is not all skill.... its mostly luck and timing... with skill playing a 10-25% role.

moosecaller
03-26-2006, 07:40 PM
This is the kind of ignorance that I was talking about.... people that think that road hunting doesnt take any skill or anything.... all big and mighty walker. Hunting is not all skill.... its mostly luck and timing... with skill playing a 10-25% role.

I would strongly disagree with this statement!!! :evil: Where did you get the % fiquires for skill can you back this up with any studies or proof, if you make a statement like this be prepared to defend it. I am mostly a moose hunter and believe me there is a lot of skill invovled I get my moose and some for my partners by calling. This "SKILL" has very little to do with luck or timing although the moose should be in rut. There are many different ways of hunting and unless you can prove it wrong most involves some level of skill and knowledge. Do not say my method of hunting does not require skill,you have offended me.

Phred
03-26-2006, 08:07 PM
I'd say it's opposite...10-25% luck with the rest going to skill (not that I think you can come up with this type of stat). Other than skilllfuly picking the road, the time of day, the area to hunt ,and shot placment, there is no skill in road hunting.
While I can see the merits of hunting from a truck, it's not for me.

sealevel
03-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Spotting game is a skill i am pretty good but i have seen a lot better. I use to work on the island with a guy from cumberland how could spot a deers ear sticking above the brush while driving 70 mph down franklin river road.

Foxer
03-26-2006, 08:30 PM
its mostly luck and timing... with skill playing a 10-25% role.

I'd say it's opposite...10-25% luck with the rest going to skill

All depends on the hunter boys. So you're both right.

The difference between a hunter who's more luck than skill, and one who's more skill than luck, is CONSISTANCY of results.

And this is what i mean by saying some road hunters are a cut above.

A good hunter, adapting his skill to road hunting, can CONSISTANTLY pull animals out of areas including ones he doesn't know. I've seen it many a time - they watch terrain, animal sign, local features such as feed and cover, they look at predator tracks, and they start to zero in. Often by day 2 or 3 they just drive and park in one spot and wait - and because they're zeroing in on the animals every time they go out they're more and more likely to find a good animal.

So i'd say you're both right .. depending on the hunter :) Ones with less skill have to rely on luck more. The better ones can stack the odds in their favour, and make their own luck.

It aint' about who can get a deer - it's about who gets one again and again and again in a short period of time.

If you are willing to study the animals, willing to practice your skills, willing to invest the time, energy, focus to really learn to HUNT ... you can turn ANY method (spotting, walking, horse, driving, whatever) into a game of skill, more than luck.

And really - isn't that what makes a GOOD hunter? One who's skill is such that they consistantly get in front of a good animal in a firing position again and again, because they take the time to KNOW.

Tarp Man
03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
"The truck is comfortable and warm. The beer is nearby..." (quote post #22)

Something seems to have been missed. While not a card-carrying member of MADD or DADD, is this quote shedding some light on DUI's? Hunting and simultaneous consumption of alcohol? I DAMN well hope not. I don't care if you hunt from the driver's seat of a quad, truck, car or moped. Mixing alcohol with actively driving and hunting is a recipe for disaster. Having a drink or however many in camp when the day is done or you're done hunting for the day is one thing. Actively hunting and drinking AND driving would suggest a lack of judgement. I think this qualifies as my $0.04.
-Tarp Man

huntwriter
03-26-2006, 09:55 PM
That makes me laugh a bit. And here I always thought hunting success is 90% skill (scouting) and 10% luck. At the begining of my hunting career 30 years ago I use to depended on 90% luck and little skill. Funny thing is, I never shot anything back then. The momnent the skill became 90% I got my tags canceled every time. Me and lady luck don't go on to well with each other, I guess.:lol:

03-27-2006, 08:43 AM
At the beginning of my hunting career 30 years ago I use to depended on 90% luck and little skill. Funny thing is, I never shot anything back then

You obviously didn't have enough luck!!;) :lol: Comes in a little bottle and is right beside the bottles of "luv potion #9"

That being said.........to each there own! l have seen wall hangers harvested from both styles of hunting and personally, l don't pass judgement of my fellow hunters, it tends to splinter our hunting fraternity with chicken shit arguments, that at the end of the day really don't matter. If its legal and fair chase, why get twisted about what another hunter is up to........l hunt to enjoy myself, not to keep tabs on how other hunters pursue their pastimes in the bush.

huntwriter
03-27-2006, 11:21 AM
You obviously didn't have enough luck!!;) :lol: Comes in a little bottle and is right beside the bottles of "luv potion #9"

That being said.........to each there own! l have seen wall hangers harvested from both styles of hunting and personally, l don't pass judgement of my fellow hunters, it tends to splinter our hunting fraternity with chicken shit arguments, that at the end of the day really don't matter. If its legal and fair chase, why get twisted about what another hunter is up to........l hunt to enjoy myself, not to keep tabs on how other hunters pursue their pastimes in the bush.

I think exactly the same about hunting and hunting methodes as you do. My post was referring to marcus44 who belives that hunting is only 20% skill the rest luck. My comment was with tong in cheek.

I agree with you absolutely. To each his own as long it is legal I really do not care one way or another how an animal is taken of for what reason. Hunting is supposed to be fun first and foremost. In fact I will stand up for every hunters right to hunt the way he preferes, regardless if I agree with it or not.

03-27-2006, 01:06 PM
In fact I will stand up for every hunters right to hunt the way he prefers, regardless if I agree with it or not.

Your right! That is the position we all have to have if we want our heritage to grow and flourish. Whats worse is recently, l have noticed an increase in the lack of acceptance for different viewpoints on the various forums l haunt. Healthy debate is good, but total disregard for fellow hunters methods and choice of toys, l think really hurts us as a group.

moosecaller
03-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Is a logging road a game trail that is big enough to take a Winnebago down?

farside
03-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Johnes50

Having been raised in Jasper and having lived there for near 29 years I can tell you some VERY funny stories about them thar "tame" bucks and bulls. Hellarious stories of garages and basements being TRASHED and THRASHED by bull elk and huge mulies.

This kinda slowed down by the late 70's early 80's as the new crop of wardens weren't so underdstanding as to why the bull elk was running down the back alley with a cooper water line hooked over his antlers dragging your hot water tank. Anyways - back then a couple of the poorer families used to feed themselves using the above mention methods. I always thought that the wardens used to turn a blind eye when they knew it was for a family that really needed it.

Now they just have your basic straight shooten poachers to contend with

huntwriter
03-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Your right! That is the position we all have to have if we want our heritage to grow and flourish. Whats worse is recently, l have noticed an increase in the lack of acceptance for different viewpoints on the various forums l haunt. Healthy debate is good, but total disregard for fellow hunters methods and choice of toys, l think really hurts us as a group.

You said it how it should be and gave the reason for it too. I often said if hunting dies then it is because of us, the hunters and not because of the anti-everything-crowd.

huntwriter
03-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Is a logging road a game trail that is big enough to take a Winnebago down?

If it is big enough for a Winnebago then it is big enough for game to walk on.:lol:

oldtimer
03-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Here in the Cariboo a road big enough to handle a Winnebago is usually an active logging road or will be next year. I road hunt a lot with my son and grandson ( he is six ) we have gone on a lot of walks together but for his short legs the vehicle covers way more ground for him. I should say he has some of the best eyes I have ever seen and can pick out a moose or buck at a respectable distance. He has even learned that when road hunting you wait till the game is on the high side of the road so that it just rolls back down onto the tailgate. If anybody doesn't think what we are doing is hunting then they haven't hunted all day with a grandson.
My 2 cents. Oh yea the grandaughter also comes with us sometimes.
You try and get young ( and I mean young ) kids into hunting and this is the ONLY way. You drag them thru the bush all day and soon you will be alone when you ask them to go the next time.
My little rant

sealevel
03-27-2006, 06:19 PM
After i drug a huge deer 8 hours down the mountan ( i didn`t have the sence to pack it down in pieces) my brother in laws dad says to me thats deer meat. So i look at him kinda funny and he asks me whats the difference between deer meat and venison? I say theres no diff. He points at the deer and says thats deer meat ! venison is what you shoot on the high side of the road. Deer meat is shot way back.

marcus44
03-27-2006, 10:59 PM
I didnt say that the rest was luck... I said that I only believe that skill has 25% to do with it... there are many factors in hunting... with skill and luck being part of it... timing also has a lot to do with it. But anyways my whole point was the ignorance factor.... hunting has enough opposition without hunters fighting amongst one another which was the point I was trying to make in the first place. I wasnt and am not trying to start a fight, just tryin to open some peoples eyes... I hunt both ways and there are advantages to both. Thats all I am saying. The whole point of hunting is to get out in the woods and enjoy mother nature. So all enjoy.

huntwriter
03-28-2006, 12:43 AM
I didnt say that the rest was luck... I said that I only believe that skill has 25% to do with it... there are many factors in hunting... with skill and luck being part of it... timing also has a lot to do with it. But anyways my whole point was the ignorance factor.... hunting has enough opposition without hunters fighting amongst one another which was the point I was trying to make in the first place. I wasnt and am not trying to start a fight, just tryin to open some peoples eyes... I hunt both ways and there are advantages to both. Thats all I am saying. The whole point of hunting is to get out in the woods and enjoy mother nature. So all enjoy.

So you did marcus44 and that is a good thing. I like hunters that are open minded like you. If you hunt with more luck and it works for you then I find this truly great. Maybe you could give me some of that luck too, because lady luck and I really do not get along at all with each other.:D

longhairmtnman
03-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Boy's, relax. I never said any one method was wrong or unethical. Nor did I say that there was no effort involved using these tactics. Not even really a personal opinion, but more of an observation. The fact that we are out there doing what we love is more than enough justification, no matter what means are being used. I'm actually of the opinion, the more guys on the road = more game for those hunting the bush. But think about this for a moment. How many hunting programs have you seen where hunters cruise down backroads day in and day out looking for game? Or a 'how to' video of roadhunting? :idea: (I may be onto something here!) why do you think that is?

Foxer
03-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Or a 'how to' video of roadhunting? images/smilies/icon_idea.gif (I may be onto something here!) why do you think that is?

Not stereotypically 'manley' enough :)

I've seen a few things on hunting videos i wouldn't consider doing either :) they ain't the be-all end-all.

Walksalot
03-30-2006, 06:38 AM
I have to admit that there is a percentage of luck in hunting but for me luck plays a small part. Pre season scouting, locating food sources and finding a corner of the world where the animal spend most of it's time takes the luck out of hunting. I even had a habitat biologist disagree with me on a food source the elk used and until I took him into the hills and showed him he thought I was wrong.

When the rains arrive in the fall there is a fungus which springs up and the elk just love it. I learned about this from reading a study done on elk down in Jackson Hole and the study pointed out that elk will travell long distsances to eat certian fungus, and they were right. We busted our asses packing elk out of these areas and the last one was closer to four miles than three by the map. Luck, I don't think so

I knew a large buck was hanging out in a corner of the world I hunt so I hung a treestand in the area. For three years the same trees were rubbed and for three years I spent time in this treestand with my bow as this was the weapon I wanted to havest it with. I had passed up many smaller bucks waiting for this particular one and on a November weekend my father and I were doing some work on the cabin. I had left my bow at home and had thrown in my rifle so at three in the afternoon I told my dad I was going to sit in my treestand for a couple of hours. I got into my treestand , pulled up my pack and my rifle, put a round in the chamber, put the safety on and I immediately heard deer walking. Minutes later I shot the buck at thirty yards and it was a beauty. The trees were never rubbed again. Luck, I don't think so.
The vast majority of animals I have shot had to be dragged or packed out of the bush.

johnes50
03-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Johnes50

Having been raised in Jasper and having lived there for near 29 years I can tell you some VERY funny stories about them thar "tame" bucks and bulls. Hellarious stories of garages and basements being TRASHED and THRASHED by bull elk and huge mulies.

This kinda slowed down by the late 70's early 80's as the new crop of wardens weren't so underdstanding as to why the bull elk was running down the back alley with a cooper water line hooked over his antlers dragging your hot water tank. Anyways - back then a couple of the poorer families used to feed themselves using the above mention methods. I always thought that the wardens used to turn a blind eye when they knew it was for a family that really needed it.

Now they just have your basic straight shooten poachers to contend with

I lived there in the mid 70's for three years and there were a lot of elk, deer, and bear hangin around town then. I surprised a few bears dumpster dining on the way home from the Atha-B and the Astoria.:biggrin: