PDA

View Full Version : Muskwa Sept 2 - 15 2010

300wsmXboltKiller
04-29-2010, 06:46 PM
HI everyone just wondering if anyone will be up here around this time as im going in for my first time with some experienced hunters on the river.

please post if you are gunna be there or have been there and have any tips for me as it will be my first elk if i get one been hunting them a few years and missed a monster 6x6 last year :( off hand 150 yards and nvr shot off hand b4 no rest in sight couldnt take a knee as no shot presented when kneeling :(

Bear Chaser
04-29-2010, 07:06 PM
The first tip is free. Practice shooting offhand.
Good luck.

300wsmXboltKiller
04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Good luck.

Have put three boxes through my gun offhand now im confident i can shoot up to 150 yards off hand also i bought a bi pod for longer shoots some people say im a sissy but i nvr make the same mistake twice

MOOSE MILK
04-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Takes more than three boxes, keep at it.

Deaddog
04-30-2010, 04:56 AM
see you there, just put some miles on your boots, hunt back off the river and you will have the trip of a lifetime.

.330 Dakota
04-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Good luck.

Ohhh thats a good one LOL

tuchodi
04-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Like Deaddog said be willing to put lots of miles on those boots as the elk get pushed back off the river with all the traffic. Good luck and you will enjoy the trip.

300wsmXboltKiller
04-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Planning on going up past the aligator shute i here and hunting the hills im willing to put on 10-15 km a day as long as im off the river by dark as camp will be down river thnx guys i here this is most beautiful country and i have an all expense paid trip coming to me :)

CanuckShooter
04-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Be extra cautious of bears up there...they are big and aggresive...do not dress your animal without a loaded firearm nearby....:-D....

300wsmXboltKiller
04-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Be extra cautious of bears up there...they are big and aggresive...do not dress your animal without a loaded firearm nearby....:-D....

thnx nice tip ill remember that there is 6 of us going and all put in for fall grizz hoping to get one anyway :)

BCRiverBoater
04-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Good luck getting your grizz draw. Only one tag for each of the two management units. With any luck the tag might be mine but I highly doubt it. We will be up there right around when you will be leaving. Hope you have a great time and a lot of success just not in our valley. Good luck!

cwocarsten
04-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Don't use calf elk calls unless you have a grizzly tag.

islandhunter
05-01-2010, 08:20 AM
I carry 60" steady stix ALWAYS, they fold up small and hang off your belt.

digger dogger
05-01-2010, 09:09 AM
check the Rock doctors vids(you tube), on tuchodi, and gatho, river. they're wicked..

300wsmXboltKiller
05-03-2010, 12:48 PM
well thnx for a info i receivd i think that i am better going to the kootneys asking for elk help lmoa i know im new here but have many great spots of my own i can share in region 7 a and b but all i get is watch for bears thnx i know that much lol :(

trapperRick
05-03-2010, 01:51 PM
When I was young I had an issue with the right side of my cheek bone and jaw so for 8 years I had to shoot off hand so now it don't matter I am good with both

Rock Doctor
05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I will probably be up there at about that time:-D, 18ft white Shuman Boat/Sportjet.
Some tips:
Just remember, any idiot can drive Upstream, pay attention to your route for the return trip.
Get at least one hill back off the river.
Take 2 pairs of boots, if you have them.
Pack cloths for ALL seasons.
Be prepared to spend an unexpected night in the bush.
Hang your meat HIGH, if you get something. At least 10-12 ft up.
Pay attention through the "Canopener", and know your route back through (on your way back down, it always looks better to the left.......don't go that way)
ALWAYS tie your boat with TWO ropes (it's a pain in the butt, but not as much of a pain as walking downtream looking for the boat.
DON't rely on "Two above the Dagger" to be a 6 point. Many elk up there don't have 3 points below the dagger.
Grizz DO come to gunshots, be prepared.
Too much fuel is better than not enough.
Lots of guys think Lifejackets are boat decorations, but they are also good for keeping your ribs from breaking when you hit the windshield frame.
Tie your gear into the boat, there is not much worse than 1000lbs of gear slamming into you when you hit the sharp rocks.
Run up the river in the morning, and down in the afternoon, to keep sun glare to a minimum. Make sure to have GOOD sunglasses.
Boats coming downstream will take the "right of way", get out of their path in any way possible.

I'm sure you, and your friends know most of this stuff, but a reminder is always good.

RD

300wsmXboltKiller
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
thnc rock doctor that is the kinda reply i was looking for i wasd a little worried going up that river but my captain is well experience he has lost 2 boatsto rivers already and doesnt make foolish mistakes anymore

as to the white sportjet ill be looking for you :) ill be in a 20 foot alicraft ranger with 350 hamilton jet and double teflon and xtra stringers

pm me and maybe we could have you in for a cold or a hot drink if you go by our camp :)

05-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Holly crap Rock Doctor you sure paint a fun picture!
especially the life jacket rib guard!

gameslayer
05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
I will probably be up there at about that time:-D, 18ft white Shuman Boat/Sportjet.
Some tips:
Just remember, any idiot can drive Upstream, pay attention to your route for the return trip.
Get at least one hill back off the river.
Take 2 pairs of boots, if you have them.
Pack cloths for ALL seasons.
Be prepared to spend an unexpected night in the bush.
Hang your meat HIGH, if you get something. At least 10-12 ft up.
Pay attention through the "Canopener", and know your route back through (on your way back down, it always looks better to the left.......don't go that way)
ALWAYS tie your boat with TWO ropes (it's a pain in the butt, but not as much of a pain as walking downtream looking for the boat.
DON't rely on "Two above the Dagger" to be a 6 point. Many elk up there don't have 3 points below the dagger.
Grizz DO come to gunshots, be prepared.
Too much fuel is better than not enough.
Lots of guys think Lifejackets are boat decorations, but they are also good for keeping your ribs from breaking when you hit the windshield frame.
Tie your gear into the boat, there is not much worse than 1000lbs of gear slamming into you when you hit the sharp rocks.
Run up the river in the morning, and down in the afternoon, to keep sun glare to a minimum. Make sure to have GOOD sunglasses.
Boats coming downstream will take the "right of way", get out of their path in any way possible.

I'm sure you, and your friends know most of this stuff, but a reminder is always good.

RD

Some good tips there Rock

digger dogger
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
pay attn to tip #1.. commin down in the pissin rain adds to the adventure. which leads to the life jacket tip.. which leads to why we were o.k.. took a nasty BIG bump there!! good tips, R.D

Twobucks
05-03-2010, 09:01 PM
For the guys that call you sissy for shooting off a rest: you can call them dummy. I don't shoot what I can't hit clean, and when my lungs are heaving and my body's tired, I need a rest to shoot straight.

Good luck up there - you got me jealous!

300wsmXboltKiller
05-03-2010, 09:07 PM
hit a few rocks on the isle pierre rapids the other weekend felt good to have life jacket on but when we hit the first rock my 300wswm xbolt hit the floor so i bent down to get it when we hit rock 234and 5 lol my head could have used a life jacket but i know about hitting the winshield plenty of times lmao i kinda like that part adds to the exitment of hunting and the adventure seen a wolf eating another wolf wish i got picks and i only ended up with one wolf skull as the other was to crafty :) only seen one cub bear on the river lots of dolly fishermen :)

Rock Doctor
05-03-2010, 09:20 PM
pay attn to tip #1.. commin down in the pissin rain adds to the adventure. which leads to the life jacket tip.. which leads to why we were o.k.. took a nasty BIG bump there!! good tips, R.D

A fiend of mine hit a MASSIVE rock on the way down 2 yrs ago, he didn't see it in my wake untill too late. I knew it was going to be close for him, so I was watching behind me. He hit it square, punched a huge dent into the front of his boat, and jumped far enough out of the water for me to see his jet intake (water was pouring back out of his intake). Would have made an exellent vid, but I was unprepared for it. Everyone was OK, but he said that his wife almost went over the side:shock:

RD

Rock Doctor
05-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Holly crap Rock Doctor you sure paint a fun picture!
especially the life jacket rib guard!

I learned most of those tips the hard way:?.

digger dogger
05-03-2010, 09:40 PM
another good tip, a phone book and a sledge hammer gets the dents out pretty good! the river can be a SCARY place.. have fun and be careful..
stash ur gas at the mouth of the tuchodi! if you go up the tuchodi..

Rock Doctor
05-04-2010, 09:39 AM
another good tip, a phone book and a sledge hammer gets the dents out pretty good! the river can be a SCARY place.. have fun and be careful..
stash ur gas at the mouth of the tuchodi! if you go up the tuchodi..

It works if you don't have to work around the 400 bolts that are sticking up through your hull:-D. I had good luck using a "Post Pounder" (About 70 lbs) and a length of heavy wall steel pipe:eek:.

Hey digger, I'm not going to argue with your last comment, but I would like to discuss it. WHY leave gas at the mouth of the Tuchodi, if you plan to hunt and camp further up the Tuchodi? It only takes 12-15 gals of gas to get back to the landing from there. That works out to less than 150lbs, now granted 150lbs is 150lbs, but in the grand scheme of things it's really a drop in the bucket. At the most, I could see just leaving a couple of 5ers there just to get home.
I usually stash my gas right close to where I camp, that way I don't have to burn a bunch of fuel making a run to my gas stash. Actually, most of the time I stash my gas in my camp, that way, when I want fuel, I have it with me.
The reason I bring it up at all is that (1) over the yrs I've found that leaving gas at the mouth of the Tuchodi to be a real "Crap Shoot". Your fuel may or may not be there when you need it. (2) you are so close to the landing that there is no need to leave more than 10 gals there to get you home, which is only saving you about 100lbs.

So many times I've had guys stop in at my camp for a BS or a coffee, and when I ask them where they are headed, I get the answer " I'm headed to my gas stash at the mouth of the Tuchodi" I sit back and think to myself " Why the hell did you leave your gas there, it's going to take you 20 gals of gas to go there and fuel up?"

Comments?

RD

sako_300
05-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Stashing works if you know the river and what 'activities' are planned. If you don't have a clue error on the side of caution and pack it with you. You never know what you will find further up...

I'm with RD - I always pack most of my fuel to use around camp and don't worry about 'running for gas' which is counterproductive if you ask me.

The comment re: hit or miss stashing is troublesome. If someone is stealing my gas so they can get back without fully comprehending the fact that the persons gas they are stealing might not be able to get back leads me to the conclusion that these people shouldn't be boating...

300wsmXboltKiller
05-04-2010, 01:40 PM
tnx guys all exellent tips we hold 100 gallns in tanks and will bring alot of extra fuel we have 3 boats on this trip and 2 guys per boat so we can haul all neccassary items and some plus if everyone gets game we wont have a problem hauling it out as in the past 4 guys on boat with 2 elk make a bad trip losing both elk and a boat plus countless items insurance nvr covered atleast everyone was ok :)

digger dogger
05-04-2010, 02:44 PM
when we went up, it was in a 21 north river and no teflon, the tank held quite a bit o fuel then we brought 6, 25ltr gas cans up with us and filled the boat, tons of gear in a fraser boat(real heavy to start), and we were worried that if we got an elk & or a moose, we would dredged the river for everone else, and the river dropped a bit while we were up, the ride down was pretty hard on the n. river, broke a motor mount, hit bottom (no shit) atleast 1000 times now i have a boat with full teflon 8 degree bottom, so the gas/weight thing, won't be as much of an issue.. i don't get to use my boat as much as you's northern guys as much, so i don't mind the road hunt on the way down..lol if we could have packed the gas we would have.. (no argueing there) :-) by the way we brought way to much gas, which is a good thing, commin down the muskwa with to much gas was a good feeling..(we wern't sure what to expect), as no one was giving much info and i'm still not all that computer wise..

70 lbs post pounder eh? i gotta feeling the bottom of your boat is not normal! lol.. the bolts on my boat only stick up an inch, maybe. enough to get a get an altered phone book and a piece of wood in between the stringers..
by the way where did ya get the black teflon?:mrgreen:

300wsmXboltKiller
05-04-2010, 03:01 PM
where did ya get the black teflon?:mrgreen:

when you go through pg talk to the guys at alicraft they will be glad to help you im sure if you are really interested pm me and i can get you a price on double teflon black what length and width of your boat ect....

BCRiverBoater
05-04-2010, 03:11 PM
I rarely stash gas either and especially to run the Tuchodi. Even when we go to the lakes we never bothered stashing gas. A few boats did leave 15 gallons behind but we carried ours. 15 gallons was not worth our time dropping it off. The only time I have dropped gas was when running the top end of the Kechika/Frog. That trip was about 6-7 hours run time so we ran until we burnt 30-40 gallons. Then we fueled up and left all the empties and enough fuel to get home from there. We still packed all the other gas to the top end so we had all our play gas with us.

I would never run down river to get gas then run back up to camp. The gas wasted to make the fuel run would be more than the extra gas burnt to carry the extra weight. Also having the fuel in camp is the ONLY guarantee that it will still be there when you need it. It is not only people that steal fuel but the bears will chew on your cans/jugs if they are plastic.

I will second RD comments on safe boating. The Tuchodi has chewed up and spit out more than one boat, especially in the fall.

Get off the river and put some miles on and you WILL get your elk and have an excellent trip. Does not really matter where you hunt. That valley has elk everywhere, you just need to leave camp to get them. Do not rush to the open hills thinking it is the only place to hunt. You will find a lot of people camp in the same stretch of river. The bulls like the bush... Why camp in someones backyard, there is a ton of river with a ton of game. Go one range over and you will be in paradise.

The bears...well for those who hunt in the north...they are thick everywhere. This area appears to have educated bears. Pay attention when working with a downed animal and try very hard to get it out that night. If you leave it over night come "loaded for bear" in the morning and to not be surprised if you return to camp empty handed. Even talking with the Outfitter in that area one year he said you can not leave your game overnight. He said to take it out immediately and do not stop until it is done. But other than that I feel it is not any different on the Muskwa or Prophet. Even the Kechika is getting bad.

The weather conditions and alcohol cause most the "oh sh*ts". Sun and rain make the already tough down river trip even more exciting. Pay attention and take your time and you will be fine.

Keep an eye on water levels and the weather. Those mountain rivers can change fast so be careful how far you are going up based on the water conditions, weather and length of stay. That time of year is pretty safe as it is still early. The October boys have a little more work on their hands as the cold can wreak havoc on the water levels. More than one boat has spent a winter up there.

Good luck and have fun. I do not think we will be up there until you are already out or heading home. We will be on the Muskwa...Grey Firefish, Orange Firefish and a brown Shuman. Our camp is always open for coffee, beer or what have you.

Rock Doctor
05-04-2010, 04:02 PM
by the way where did ya get the black teflon?:mrgreen:

Redwood Plastics in Prince George
2- 4x8 sheets and 2-4x10 sheets, all 3/8" thick. About 6$ per sq Ft
Worked out to about 1000$

RD

300wsmXboltKiller
05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I rarely stash gas either ans especially to run the Tuchodi. Even when we go to the lakes we never bothered stashing gas. I few boats did leave 15 gallons behind but we carried ours. 15 gallons was not worth our time dropping off. The only time I have dropped gas was when running top end of the Kechika/Frog. That trip was about 6-7 hours run time so we ran until we burnt 30-40 gallons. Then we fueled up and left all the empties and enough fuel to get home from there. We still packed all the other gas to the top end so we had all our play gas with us.

I would never run down river to get gas then run back up to camp. The gas wasted to make the fuel run would be more than the extra gas burnt to carry the extra weight. Also having the fuel in camp is the ONLY guarantee that it will still be there when you need it. It is not only people that steal fuel but the bears will chew on your cans/jugs if they are plastic.

I will second RD comments on safe boating. The Tuchodi has chewed up and spit out more than one boat, especially in the fall.

Get off the river and put some miles on and you WILL get your elk and have an excellent trip. Does not really matter where you hunt. That valley has elk everywhere, you just need to leave camp to get them. Do not rush to the open hills thinking it is the only place to hunt. You will find a lot of people camp in the same stretch of river. The bulls like the bush... Why camp in someones backyard, thee is a ton of river with a ton of game. Go one range over and you will be in paradise.

The bears...well for those who hunt in the north...they are thick everywhere. This area appears to have educated bears. Pay attention when working with a downed animal and try very hard to get it out that night. If you leave it over night come "loaded for bear" in the morning and to not be surprised if you return to camp empty handed. Even talking with the Outfitter in that area one year he said you can not leave your game overnight. Take it out immediately and do not stop until it is done. But other than that I feel it is not any different on the Muskwa or Prophet. Even the Kechika is getting bad.

The weather conditions and alcohol cause most the "oh sh*ts". Sun and rain make the already tough down river trip even more exciting. Pay attention and take your time and you will be fine.

Keep an eye on water levels and the weather. Those mountain rivers can change fast so be careful how far you are going up based on the water conditions, weather and length of stay. That time of year is pretty safe as it is still early. The October boys have a little more work on their hands as the cold can wreak havoc on the water levels. More than one boat as spent a winter up there.

Good luck and have fun. I do not think we will be up there until you are already out or heading home. We will be on the Muskwa...Grey Firefish, Orange Firefish and a brown Shuman. Our camp is always open for coffee, beer or what have you.

thnx appreciate your 2 cents seems like muskwa hunters are friendly well most should be on the river i know if anyone needs my help ill be there to help you guys seem like a good bunch and are making this sight a hit for me i now want to make sure i get good pics and storys for everyone who helped me so far :)

OutWest
05-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Have put three boxes through my gun offhand now im confident i can shoot up to 150 yards off hand also i bought a bi pod for longer shoots some people say im a sissy but i nvr make the same mistake twice

Not a sissy at all for buying the bi pod. Why take the risk of missing or even worse, wounding an animal? Anyone who calls you a sissy for buying a bi pod needs to give their head a shake. Free hand is the last shot I'd take unless it was absolutely necessary. Good luck with your hunt. Elk hunting is an absolute blast!

BCRiverBoater
05-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I bought a bi-pod last fall as well. It has a quick attach so I will not have in on 99% of the time but if needed it snaps in and is ready to go. Of course they only work in the right situation as well. That is why I did not want a permanent one. Also why pack the weight if you do not need it.

digger dogger
05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
thank-you, 300xb, and R.D... The blk teflon looks cool! i'm thinkin on a blk skunk stripe..

moose2
05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
The parking lot can look intimidating and dissapointing when you pull in and see 100 boat trailers. Don't be concerned everyone seems to spread out really good. Like the guys said wear good boots and take your pack board when you head for your walk. If you go far enough back 3-5 km you will need it. I also took my sleeping bag and a tarp this allowed me to hunt great meadows at the best time mornings and evenings. I did not see another hunter while I was on foot unless I was on the river edge. Once I got far enough back I saw plenty of elk , getting them by the boat is a challenge. A small cow bell might be worth packing as funny as this sounds. Alot of the elk I saw were using the same meadows as the pack horses which were wearing bells. The elk were very comfortable with the sound of them. I haven't tried it but I think a bell would get you close in noisy stalking conditions(just an idea) pm me if it works. Good luck and have a safe trip mabey you will shoot your first 6 pnt where I did over 15 years ago.
Mikehttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/muskwa_elk.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18908&size=big&cat=500)

shallowH2O
05-05-2010, 05:37 AM
I'll be heading up about the time your heading down as well. Grey, high half top on aluminuim color 18 ft sportjet. Also heading up above aligator shoot. RockDactor about said it, get back off the river, pack lots of gas, and wear chest protection (I wear a TekVest from my snowmobiling days) definetly has safed a few broken ribs over the last few years. Remember if your not bouncing rocks, youre not having fun! Good luck and hope to see you up there

300wsmXboltKiller
05-05-2010, 06:01 AM
i luv it every post gets me closer to my dream hunt i know im gunna have a blast and gunna wanna go every year forwards just hoping i can get into good shape in 4 months to get way back and get my elk and maybe even a sheep going to buy gym pass today and beging walking the cutbanks soon for hill practise im looking to buy a new cot and another good pair of boots also im interested in the new garmin with radio and friend finding devices can anyone think of any other gear that came in handy we got wal tent and i have good sleeping bag have decent pack but i need to get a new one with pack board any recommendation also would be cool :)

moose2
05-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Your pack needs well padded shoulder straps and a great hip belt and a chest sinch is a good idea as well, you will also want a big cargo area , deboned meat takes up alot of room. Internal or external frames are just a preferance but they are both good. I myself like external frames. A stick can easily be tied across it and tied to the antlers on each side for stability. Frame packs tend to hang up a bit more though. Pillow cases are a good Idea to put meat in they leak through, but they are light to pack and keep your meat clean and cool, and can be hung along the trail or near the kill site if needed . They are also more stable and durable than cheese cloth , you can also purchase game bags for this purpose, but they tend to be heavier, bulkier, and quite expensive . A light weight sleeping bag might be a good idea if you plan an over night off the river. As for bears they are there and caution is a good idea. I like to pack all my deboned quarters and antlers about .5 km away from the kill site hang everything in a visable spot so you can get a good look when you return for the next load , I also carry disposable coveralls to pull over my camo when I am dressing the animal it cuts down on the blood I will be wearing for the rest of the hunt. They can either be burnt or buried when your finished. Survey tape hung on the antlers if you are packing them out will make you feel safer. You probley know this but you will need a good compact saw for getting the antlers off. If you have room for a moose or two drifting down the river for the first couple of hours of daylight work well. Have a guy sit on either side of the boat with 12' or 15' pole and use this method to control the boat with the motor off. ( but leave the key in incase the river gets sketchy lol)
Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Mike

300wsmXboltKiller
05-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Your pack needs well padded shoulder straps and a great hip belt and a chest sinch is a good idea as well, you will also want a big cargo area deboned meat takes up alot of room. Pillow cases are a good Idea to put meat in they leak through, but they are light to pack and keep your meat clean and cool, and can be hung along the trail or near the kill site if needed . They are also more stable and durable than cheese cloth , you can also purchase game bags for this purpose, but they tend to be heavier, bulkier, and quite expensive . A light weight sleeping bag might be a good idea if you plan an over night off the river. As for bears they are there and caution is a good idea. I like to pack all my deboned quarters and antlers about .5 km away from the kill site hang everything in a visable spot so you can get a good look when you return for the next load , I also carry disposable coveralls to pull over my camo when I am dressing the animal it cuts down on the blood I will be wearing for the rest of the hunt. They can either be burnt or buried when your finished. Survey tape hung on the antlers if you are packing them out will make you feel safer. You probley know this but you will need a good compact saw for getting the antlers off. If you have room for a moose or two drifting down the river for the first couple of hours of daylight work well. Have a guy sit on either side of the boat with 12' or 15' pole and use this method to control the boat with the motor off.
Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Mike

thnx mike i aprrecciate everyone helpful hints :) im gunna luv this trip and wanting to be sure im well prepared for anything that may come up as for moose i can get one in my backyard basically so traveling that far for moose is doubtfull unless i see something over 60 inches ill leave him for someone else that isnt as lucky as living in prime moose habitat

hawkdog
05-06-2010, 10:03 AM
great thread guys, I am heading up around the 24th of august, hope to get some sheep hunting in as well elk. Can't wait!

GoatGuy
05-06-2010, 10:05 AM
i need to get a new one with pack board any recommendation also would be cool :)

Find someone with a strong back and a weak mind.

300wsmXboltKiller
05-11-2010, 10:30 PM
+
Find someone with a strong back and a weak mind.

i think that is me and why i was invited lmao

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-12-2010, 06:40 PM
wow wish i read this before i went up the tuchodi, almost got caught in the can opener on the way down!! so close it it's not even funny,there was a little hole between a rock and a gravel bar that i squeezed through on the right hand side!! half way down!! no dents= shit-house luck!!

.330 Dakota
07-12-2010, 08:02 PM
try a shootin stick, the extendable one works real well in tall brush and grass

bridger
07-12-2010, 10:48 PM
i carry 80 gallons of fuel in my tanks which gets me up and own the tuchodi with fuel to spare. also carry another 20 gallons into camp for running around etc. agree with rock doctor why run down the river to get fuel. we are fortuante in that we also run a pack string into the tuchodi to hunt a long ways from the river and bring the meat and heavy camp equpment out with the boat. also agree about the bears we have lost six elk and moose over the years to bears. no longer leave a carcass out overnight. one thing for certain whether you get an elk or not the trip will be one of the highlights of your hunting career. good luck and have lots of fun.

BCRiverBoater
07-13-2010, 04:09 PM
wow wish i read this before i went up the tuchodi, almost got caught in the can opener on the way down!! so close it it's not even funny,there was a little hole between a rock and a gravel bar that i squeezed through on the right hand side!! half way down!! no dents= shit-house luck!!

Haha! I know exactly where you are talking. On the way up it is so obvious that it is bad and would be catastrophic to take that channel on the way down so we always mark some land marks. But coming down it is easier said than done. So far we have never been close to taking it and now it is safe to say we have it memorized. I guarantee people have come down through it and not fared to well. I would pay money to be able to sit there and watch the show.

BCRiverBoater
07-13-2010, 04:12 PM
i carry 80 gallons of fuel in my tanks which gets me up and own the tuchodi with fuel to spare. also carry another 20 gallons into camp for running around etc. agree with rock doctor why run down the river to get fuel. we are fortuante in that we also run a pack string into the tuchodi to hunt a long ways from the river and bring the meat and heavy camp equpment out with the boat. also agree about the bears we have lost six elk and moose over the years to bears. no longer leave a carcass out overnight. one thing for certain whether you get an elk or not the trip will be one of the highlights of your hunting career. good luck and have lots of fun.

Talk to many people who hunt up there as well as guide on the Tuchodi and Muskwa and they never, ever leave an animal over night. We personally have stayed out well into the dark to get our animals out the first night. You are almost guaranteed to have a bear on your kill within 24 hours.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Haha! I know exactly where you are talking. On the way up it is so obvious that it is bad and would be catastrophic to take that channel on the way down so we always mark some land marks. But coming down it is easier said than done. So far we have never been close to taking it and now it is safe to say we have it memorized. I guarantee people have come down through it and not fared to well. I would pay money to be able to sit there and watch the show.

ya it was my first trip up and down so now i will have that spot forever implanted in my mind:) and it's so true about the sun in the morning coming down is not fun:eek: