PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Gear Advice

700bdl
04-29-2010, 09:16 AM
My partner and I are looking for a lightweight packable tent for when we hike in for a few days. Anyone have any experience with these things? I am also looking for a lightweight packable sleeping bag.

MichelD
04-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Not to hijack, but I'm looking for advice on good back packing rainwear too.

700bdl
04-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Do they make lightweight packable queen size sleeping bags?

ruttinbuck
04-29-2010, 09:34 AM
No!!!!they don't make lightweight queen sized bags.
If you want a tent big enough for two guys and minimal gear buy at least a 3 man tent.
Two guys and all gear means 4 man tent IMHO

BlacktailStalker
04-29-2010, 10:24 AM

You going hunting with your wife ?

Check out the hunting gear section and do a search, you should find what you need to know.
MSR makes affordable light tents.
I have a columbia brand queen bag for camping with the wife but its huge when rolled up and almost 4lbs.

KB90
04-29-2010, 10:38 AM
If you want a tent big enough for two guys and minimal gear buy at least a 3 man tent.
Two guys and all gear means 4 man tent IMHO

You don't need a 3 man tent, thats just more weight to pack, and 4 man is definitely over doing it in my opinion. Pick up a 2 man tent with 2 vestibules and 2 doors. Keep your backpacks in your vestibules and you will have plenty of room.

Like someone else said MSR has good tents, a lot of people use the limelight, I did not as I wanted 2 doors and 2 vestibules. I went with a north face roadrunner as I got a really good deal on it.

Do a search for "backpack tent" or "backpack sleeping bag" and you will get all kinds of results.

KB90
04-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Hey I was in coast mountain sports (now called atmosphere) and they had a mummy style 2 person sleeping bag. Not a queen size, maybe a double?

DEXTER
04-29-2010, 10:43 AM
You have to ask yourself what type of weather you plan on tenting in? If your not likely to see rain or snow then head down to MEC and pick up either a Tarn 2 or Tarn 3. Super light and a n all round great 3 season tent. If your planning on nasty weather, snow and rain, then get a North Face Mountain 25. Might be a little small for two, but it will keep the weather out for sure.

huntcoop
04-29-2010, 11:27 AM
My partner and I are looking for a lightweight packable tent...

This outta get interesting :mrgreen: :? .

Alpine85
04-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Been using a Sierra Designs 3 person-3 season tent for about five years now in the mountains. The tent has held up through day long downpours to 10+ inchs of snow over night.

I love buying new gear and have looked at different tents for a couple years now, however the SD just hasn't let me down yet so I haven't replaced it.

Terry

pupper
04-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I use the columbia frosty ridge (http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Columbia_Frosty_Ridge_Tent), its alright but Sierra designs small tent is better.

TyTy
04-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I'll suggest MSR, 3 man, for tent w/ them vestibules.
You'll need an siltarp, 80-120 sq feet.
A poncho that goes over your backpack,
And look @ a hybrid sleeping bag, made of both sythetic and down, best bang for your buck for a moisture resisting/warmth balance. something rated -10 or colder. get a water proof stuff sack too!

that'll take you through 3 outta the 4 seasons.

troutseeker
04-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Some companies make mummy sleeping bags that can zip together. Are you and your partner about the same height and size?

thebigrig
04-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I have the msr hubba hubba. It's big enough for me and my girlfriend, but I sure as shit wouldn't be sleeping in it with another guy. There is barely enough room to fit two thermarests side by side. I would get a three man tent. It's not much extra weight split between two packs, and you won't wake up in the morning spooning your partner.:wink: Or tell your buddy to get his own!

700bdl
04-30-2010, 09:37 AM
[quote=BlacktailStalker;669838]You going hunting with your wife ?

quote]

No, but he may as well be.

dutchie
05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
No, but he may as well be.

You are female and you are referring to your your boyfriend right? Just checking cuz it sounds a little awkward!

Dutchie

troutseeker
05-04-2010, 12:36 AM
It did sound a little Aardvark...

DGuest
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
I have a MEC tarn 2 (2 man) and love it, great price and packs up well, very good in nasty wet weather. Not a huge amount of space but you can make it work for 2. My father just got the Tarn 3 (3 man) good for 2 bigger guys and still light enough to pack around.