PDA

View Full Version : Labs are such knuckleheads

Angus
04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
I have my trainer watching my 4yr old lab while I head out of town for the day tomorrow for work. I got the dreaded call this evening, "Terry, I just got back from the vet and...." .

Turns out while leaving the park, Angus sees a ball roll out of the truck and he bolts full out for about 10 yards, doesn't notice a parked car, and runs headlong into the door. Sound's like he's a little sore and limping a bit on his right side. He got checked out and everything seems okay, but to be sure he's back off to the vet in the morning for x-rays.

Sometimes, you just gotta shake your head. I think I need a beer.

Rob
04-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Good to hear the injuries are minor! My black is almost 3 yrs old and she's starting to listen. Rob

BlacktailStalker
04-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Sounds like a good retriever though !

tackdriver
04-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Good to hear the injuries are minor! My black is almost 3 yrs old and she's starting to listen. Rob

x2 mine is now 4 and she is now more than i hoped for great bird dog,family dog,guard dog she now obeys all my hand commands without me speaking. Hang in there you will be rewarded with a wonderfull dog.:-D

pnbrock
04-29-2010, 06:10 AM
my lab is 8 months and i was thinking of an x ray to actually confirm he even has a brain......lol

johnes50
04-29-2010, 08:15 AM
I had a black lab many years ago. Friendliest dog in the world and dumb as a hammer.

Everytime I took it for a ride as soon as I opened the door near lake or river,
and before I could grab him, Buck would do a full blown charge and dive right in. That dog was swept down river many times. But he was as strong as an ox and weighed about 110lbs., so I would just wait for him to come back. He always did.

When I worked on a ranch near Cochrane, Alta. he would play with the Coyotes. Everybody told me he would be eaten alive, but he just made friends and loved to play with them. They seemed to like it too.

He used to eat frozen cowpies in the winter and wouldn't touch his food till we figured out what he was doing. It was fairly obvious by the green ring around his mouth and the really bad breath when he tried to jump into bed at night.:-D

Yup, dumb as a hammer.

04-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Quit telling all these stories about labs........ The toller croud will use them against us!

My dog is smart he stopped eating poo at 3

Iron Glove
04-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Quit telling all these stories about labs........ The toller croud will use them against us!

My dog is smart he stopped eating poo at 3

Nah, we Toller owners are well aware of the mental deficiencies that Labs have. That's why we have Tollers. We have no need to rub it in.:mrgreen:

The post reminds me of the Lab / Samoid cross the wife had in her teens. Great dog, but he would chase cars up the street and then we'd hear a "bang" and he'd come staggering back like he'd hit a brick wall. Turned out he was doing the running into parked car act too. Slow learner.

Sasquatch
04-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Glad to hear he's going to be allright. That is pretty funny though.

RJ
04-29-2010, 09:37 AM
I just have one question, was the car ok? :mrgreen:

My last dog, a lab, ran into a car and I was worried there was going to be a dent he hit it so hard

greenhorn
04-29-2010, 03:36 PM
I had a black lab many years ago. Friendliest dog in the world and dumb as a hammer.

Everytime I took it for a ride as soon as I opened the door near lake or river,
and before I could grab him, Buck would do a full blown charge and dive right in. That dog was swept down river many times. But he was as strong as an ox and weighed about 110lbs., so I would just wait for him to come back. He always did.

When I worked on a ranch near Cochrane, Alta. he would play with the Coyotes. Everybody told me he would be eaten alive, but he just made friends and loved to play with them. They seemed to like it too.

He used to eat frozen cowpies in the winter and wouldn't touch his food till we figured out what he was doing. It was fairly obvious by the green ring around his mouth and the really bad breath when he tried to jump into bed at night.:-D

Yup, dumb as a hammer.

Wow! And I thought my lab was a bit challenged!

Good story, that's hilarious

Angus
04-29-2010, 04:11 PM
I just have one question, was the car ok? :mrgreen:

My last dog, a lab, ran into a car and I was worried there was going to be a dent he hit it so hard

I'm picking him up tonight, and that was one of the questions I was gonna ask. Hope it wasn't a Toyota, 'cause if it was, I'm sure I'll be hearing from ICBC.

Deer Sausage
04-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Ha these are funny! Funny because I feel your pain!....My lab Bella is nearly one now...i think she would jump straight down a dark mineshaft for a tennisball! I love my dog and it's embarrassing to admit it but she makes it her duty to pick our walking trails clean of horse poop. She loves it...sheesh... and I guess if nothing else it's cheaper than purina pro plan.
Haha...enjoy your dog!

Red arch
04-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Is it just me or has any of the Labs above not either eaten poo or ran into a car?
I have a 6 year old Black lab. Not a gun dog but a really fun family dog. Also helps and really enjoys chasing down foam baseballs during BP. Only problem is when he tries to carry two in his mouth....

swampthing
05-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Gots to love the labs though. I raised one 25 years ago, next to twangers blue healer. Those two dogs and twanger and I had the best of times. Between hunting, partying, chasing women and such, the dogs were always there and were always good, for the most part. I have a 12 week old lab right now and he is the devil. He just finished tearing a key off the computer. I will keep at it.

wolverine
05-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah, they're knuckle heads alright. No argument there. But what beautiful knuckle heads they are. I miss my yellow lab terribly. He was as stupid as everyone says but he was a great dog. Maybe one day I'll have another one. He lasted 17 yrs. Very difficult to part after that many years together. Takes a huge emotional toll.:icon_frow

500grhollowpoint
05-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I have a Golden retriever. He gets a little over eager when knows he is going in the truck. He will jump over the tailgate if I don't get there fast enough. Once I yelled "NO" at him and he must have thought he was on the wrong end because he ran around front and jumped up on the hood. It's no little truck either. Moron.

Once I had a step ladder on the deck up onto the roof. I was talking to him, with my back to him, from the roof. Well I heard this CRASH and he just made it onto the roof, with enough force to knock over the ladder. Nice one, dumbass. I'm stuck on my roof....with my 95 lb dog.

Angus
06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I have my trainer watching my 4yr old lab while I head out of town for the day tomorrow for work. I got the dreaded call this evening, "Terry, I just got back from the vet and...." .

Turns out while leaving the park, Angus sees a ball roll out of the truck and he bolts full out for about 10 yards, doesn't notice a parked car, and runs headlong into the door. Sound's like he's a little sore and limping a bit on his right side. He got checked out and everything seems okay, but to be sure he's back off to the vet in the morning for x-rays.

Sometimes, you just gotta shake your head. I think I need a beer.

So we're almost seven weeks post-accident and Angus is still not completely recovered. He's still sore on right hind leg, but gradually getting better.

Oh yeah, it turns out that it was a moving car that he torpedo'd; not a parked car.

The first 3 weeks I let him walk at his own pace for short durations on leash, no stairs , no jumping. Then gradually upped the pace and duration of the walks from five minutes brisk walks a few times a day up to 10 min, 1/2 hour etc. For the last two weeks I've had him swimming almost every other day.

Took him back to the vet last week and, well really, there's not a lot a vet can do. He's like your GP when you have a sports injury. So the vet recommended hydro-therapy. Has anyone on the site used this methodology to rehab their hunting dogs?

Also have been recommended (and don't snort here) that he see an animal chiropractor. Anyone have any experience with this?

I dunno if this is getting a little too far out there, but I have to do something to get my pal fixed up.

If this doesn't work, I assume the next step will be off to see the orthopedic vet.

srupp
06-15-2010, 11:31 AM
first labs do not grow brains for their first 2 years..:mrgreen:

Hydrotherapy...=swimming..movement and dtretching w/o the weight bearing...:wink:

you guys are scaring me first 3 days with Ebony

1) completely(hope) potty trained out side to "the run " drop and squat and deliver ..gone in 60 seconds..:wink:

2) can climb the 12 stairs back into the house..still working on going down the stairs..

3) kennel crate comfy..not much whining to get out

4) sleeps most of the nite..one mid inning stretch @ 3 am 4 a pee break..

not too bad for 3 days @ 6 weeks

CHEERS
steven

Kasomor
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
So we're almost seven weeks post-accident and Angus is still not completely recovered. He's still sore on right hind leg, but gradually getting better.

Oh yeah, it turns out that it was a moving car that he torpedo'd; not a parked car.

The first 3 weeks I let him walk at his own pace for short durations on leash, no stairs , no jumping. Then gradually upped the pace and duration of the walks from five minutes brisk walks a few times a day up to 10 min, 1/2 hour etc. For the last two weeks I've had him swimming almost every other day.

Took him back to the vet last week and, well really, there's not a lot a vet can do. He's like your GP when you have a sports injury. So the vet recommended hydro-therapy. Has anyone on the site used this methodology to rehab their hunting dogs?

Also have been recommended (and don't snort here) that he see an animal chiropractor. Anyone have any experience with this?

I dunno if this is getting a little too far out there, but I have to do something to get my pal fixed up.

If this doesn't work, I assume the next step will be off to see the orthopedic vet.

Check out Aldergrove Animal Hospital. Their specialty is sports rehab for working dogs.
http://www.thespaw.ca/thespaw/index.html

I've been to an consultation appointment there with Dr. Jeff Bowra. He has a special interest in canine sports and rehabilitation medicine and is a a member of the American Canine Sports Medicine Association.

I have never been to as complete of an exam/ consultation as that one was.

Highly recommend him.

Good luck,
Kasomor

ps You may want to start a new thread with your question...since you really aren't talking about the short comings of labs any more :mrgreen:

Islandeer
06-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Check out Aldergrove Animal Hospital. Their specialty is sports rehab for working dogs.
http://www.thespaw.ca/thespaw/index.html

I've been to an consultation appointment there with Dr. Jeff Bowra. He has a special interest in canine sports and rehabilitation medicine and is a a member of the American Canine Sports Medicine Association.

I have never been to as complete of an exam/ consultation as that one was.

Highly recommend him.

Good luck,
Kasomor

ps You may want to start a new thread with your question...since you really aren't talking about the short comings of labs any more :mrgreen:

Great feedback Kasomor. speaking of shortcomings, I have never seen a toller out perform a lab. :)

Buckster
06-20-2010, 01:06 PM
We have a three year old Chocolate 100lbs, and he is just starting to come in to his own. I call him Fat Head and the wife calls him Chester great family dog, and absolutly loves the water. I just wish I could get him to find / track with his nose? If he doesnt see it he isnt getting it.

Buckster
06-20-2010, 01:08 PM
He too runs into everything... doesnt seem to be able to focus on more than one thing at a time.