PDA

View Full Version : LEH Shared Hunt vs Single Application

tristanmac
04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
.................................................. .

BromBones
04-28-2010, 10:03 PM
If you compare the possibility of one out of three snagging a draw -

Put in as single, you get a single moose tag. Put in as shared, you get two for the group.

Yes, it's always possible for all three of you to get single draws, but I think the odds on a shared hunt can be more productive for you.

blackbart
04-28-2010, 10:13 PM
With a shared hunt, if drawn you all get to legally hunt. With singles, those not drawn can't legally hunt.

I for one like the option of a shared hunt for Moose. Go for it, if your partners back out you can still go hunting.

jml11
04-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Your odds are a bit better doing a shared hunt, how much will depend on the overall odds of the hunt itself, plus it allows you to hunt as a group with no 'grey' areas about legality...what I mean is during a shared hunt, you all have authorizations so any one in the group can hunt and shoot the animal...if only 1 out of 3 of you gets the draw, legally only that person is allowed to hunt and shoot the animal...depending on where you get drawn, this might mean the others can't actually hunt and may not want to go on the trip...for moose this usually isn't a big problem as many regions have spike-fork seasons, calf seasons or seasons on deer that the other members of the group can hunt while you hunt the LEH moose. Clear as mud?

tomahawk
04-29-2010, 09:34 AM
With a shared hunt, if drawn you all get to legally hunt. With singles, those not drawn can't legally hunt.

I for one like the option of a shared hunt for Moose. Go for it, if your partners back out you can still go hunting.

Well said. good advice!

moosetaken
04-30-2010, 10:25 AM
If you get a group draw you are all hunting in the same area, with single hunts one of your buddies may get drawn for 2nd choice in another area which adds to the driving time from camp. If anyone has only a short time to come hunting it also doesn't screw up the hunt for the others although if they are too late it may be all over but the drinking :)

MDG3
04-30-2010, 06:39 PM
I put in for shared hunt in my first year and was successful. I think, being it's your first year as well, your odds are better than a single hunt. IMHO.:wink:

peashooter
04-30-2010, 06:44 PM
On the down side. Say you have a group of 4 there are 3 tags left in the pot. I believe you and your posse are ousted from the pool.

cariboobill
05-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Hit the nail on the head. Odds aside hunting with your buddies legally is the only way to hunt, and 2 moose tags for three guys is more than enough fun. Go for Group hunt for sure.

CB

f350ps
05-01-2010, 08:44 AM
On the down side. Say you have a group of 4 there are 3 tags left in the pot. I believe you and your posse are ousted from the pool.
On a Shared draw you wouldn,t be SOL, on a Group hunt you would be. K

d6dan
05-01-2010, 08:51 AM

So true, when your applying for a group hunt always put in for an area with lots of animals available. I got lucky once and 2 of us pulled a group hunt for caribou. The catch was, only 4draws available.
Last year I put in for a cow moose and got it in an area that everybody puts in group hunts for. So I don't believe that group draws have better odds than singles. Odds are odds no matter how you slice it..

f350ps
05-01-2010, 09:24 AM
So true, when your applying for a group hunt always put in for an area with lots of animals available. I got lucky once and 2 of us pulled a group hunt for caribou. The catch was, only 4draws available.
Last year I put in for a cow moose and got it in an area that everybody puts in group hunts for. So I don't believe that group draws have better odds than singles. Odds are odds no matter how you slice it..
Correct me if I'm wrong but the question was Shared vs Single App. NOT Group vs Single App. K

d6dan
05-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the question was Shared vs Single App. NOT Group vs Single App. K

Shared replaced group on moose only. Sorry for not getting it right!. Geezzzz, :?

ChilliwackWinchester
05-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Your odds are a bit better doing a shared hunt, how much will depend on the overall odds of the hunt itself, plus it allows you to hunt as a group with no 'grey' areas about legality...what I mean is during a shared hunt, you all have authorizations so any one in the group can hunt and shoot the animal...if only 1 out of 3 of you gets the draw, legally only that person is allowed to hunt and shoot the animal...depending on where you get drawn, this might mean the others can't actually hunt and may not want to go on the trip...for moose this usually isn't a big problem as many regions have spike-fork seasons, calf seasons or seasons on deer that the other members of the group can hunt while you hunt the LEH moose. Clear as mud?

More than a bit better. If there are 2 in a shared hunt, you double your chances of being drawn vs. a single app. If there are 3, you triple your chance, and with 4... well, you probably see the pattern :-)

Phreddy
05-02-2010, 11:30 AM
The boys and I all went individual hunts this year. We'll operate out of the same camp, but if only one gets drawn the other two will be looking for bullwinkles back yard and direct the lucky draw to that spot.

afors
05-02-2010, 07:22 PM
So, if you enter a shared draw with two others and one of you is drawn all of your odds go down for the next year because you are all considered successful in the draw.

And from what I read it sounds like a group of two entering gets one animal and a group of three or four will get two animals.

:"If a group is drawn, a group of two will be allowed to take one Moose
only, and a group of three or four will be allowed to take two Moose only."

You are all entered as single applications but if one of you is drawn the whole group is drawn... "The applications for each member of the group will enter the draw as single applications, but if any member of the group is drawn, then the entire group will be drawn."
so... if Bob, Dave and Fred enter a shared hunt and Fred is drawn then they get two animals.
I may be wrong as I have not entered a shared hunt until this year. If anyone has any info or experience on this I would like to hear your input.

f350ps
05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Nothing to tell you, you said it yourself. Good Luck! K

SR80
05-06-2010, 06:50 PM
something to add, that if one of the people in your group is on the shit list for moose, then everyone in that group will be on the shit list, whether they have been drawn before or not.

CanuckShooter
05-09-2010, 10:49 PM
something to add, that if one of the people in your group is on the shit list for moose, then everyone in that group will be on the shit list, whether they have been drawn before or not.

And what list is this?? They don't make any mention of it in the synopsis???

yamadirt 426
05-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I didnt think we had a shit list here. Or point system if you will.

GoatGuy
05-10-2010, 01:06 PM

I believe you are referring to reduced odds and yes, you are correct the entire 'team' that puts in for a shared or group hunt will end up on reduced odds if one person in the group is on reduced odds.

GoatGuy
05-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Shared replaced group on moose only. Sorry for not getting it right!. Geezzzz, :?

The shared hunt is in addition to the single applicant and group hunts for moose.

Barracuda
05-10-2010, 01:12 PM
the one other thing to consider is that on a group hunt if you are the last number drawn (remember that all the people get put in as one draw on the group )and there are not enough authorizations left for the group hunt then you total shared application is in the shitter.

Blainer
05-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Those who apply for a Limited Entry Shared
Hunt will have an advantage in the draw over
a single applicant.

The applications for each
member of the group will enter the draw as single
applications, but if any member of the group is

drawn, then the entire group will be draw.

Barracuda
05-10-2010, 02:09 PM
isnt that only for Moose though?

Dont the rest of the shared/ group hunts for other species go in as one number to draw and it is an all or nothing deal?.

CanuckShooter
05-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I believe you are referring to reduced odds and yes, you are correct the entire 'team' that puts in for a shared or group hunt will end up on reduced odds if one person in the group is on reduced odds.

The reduced odds really don't mean anything anyway. I know people who haven't drawn a moose tag in 18 years and others that have hit bull moose in the same region 3 out of 4 consecutive years. IF reduced odds actually meant anything this would never happen.:(

Barracuda
05-10-2010, 02:35 PM
reduced odds mean exactly what it says LOL

Your odds are reduced . :mrgreen:

Blainer
05-10-2010, 02:44 PM
isnt that only for Moose though?

Dont the rest of the shared/ group hunts for other species go in as one number to draw and it is an all or nothing deal?.
shared-all members of the hunt are entered in the draw...
group-all members combined are allotted 1 entry in the draw...

CanuckShooter
05-10-2010, 02:48 PM
reduced odds mean exactly what it says LOL

Your odds are reduced . :mrgreen:

Yes, but just because you got drawn last year doesn't mean you cannot get the same draw...reduced odds will not kick you out of the draw.

Barracuda
05-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I guess moose is the only one you can do the shared hunt thing on which is too bad .

Personally i would have liked to see it for other animals also. We always put in for group Grizz which is all or nothing but we only put in for that because we are both hunting for it together.

We would be just as happy with a Shared type hunt where one animal can be taken between the two of us especially if it increased our odds.

I guess over an infinite number of draws my ship will come in :wink:

GoatGuy
05-10-2010, 08:02 PM
The reduced odds really don't mean anything anyway. I know people who haven't drawn a moose tag in 18 years and others that have hit bull moose in the same region 3 out of 4 consecutive years. IF reduced odds actually meant anything this would never happen.:(

Well, that's not quite correct, it's certainly possible.

There are people that could be drawn every year for bull moose in some areas and regions.

CanuckShooter
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Well, that's not quite correct, it's certainly possible.

There are people that could be drawn every year for bull moose in some areas and regions.

If they are being drawn every year they must be extremely lucky....or extremely connected :mrgreen:

TyTy
05-10-2010, 10:18 PM
does everyone have to be on everyone elses application, or can you put you # in with multiple parties??