PDA

View Full Version : a good bear story

Sikanni Stalker
03-24-2006, 08:36 PM
My father in law called tonightand told a good one. He builds roads for a loging show out the Morice somewhere. Anyway, last week they were working ( him and the dog) and the dog had been hanging around a particular tree for a few days, sniffing , circling etc. Finally the dog started digging and getting a bit crazy, Hugh thought it was a porcipine or somthing so got off the machine and went to where ranger was performing. At the bottom of this tree there was a hole, so Hugh cleared it out a bit and had a look. Well sure enough there was a blackie denned up. The dog went nuts and subsequently the bear tried to run but could only climb the tree where he was found, and barely was able to do that much. So hughy loaded up the dog and they left for a few days to return yesterday. this time he brought a guy from the crew asking him if he ever saw a bear den. the guy was saying "yeah right". they got there, and my FIL brought the guy to the den and said have a look, well his bud knelt down at the opening and stuck his head in and came out of there light a lightning bolt, knocking the FIL ass over tea kettle. He made for the truck and slammed the door shut. FIL was startled but laughing, turns out the bear was in there and not quite sleeping again. they were looking at each other not 18" between their eye balls. The bear was way to lethargic to act out or even respond to the visitor but it would be something for sure. This would have been a once in a lifetime for sure. Just thought I would share it.

cowboy-up69
03-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Haha thats crazy! I wouldnt even go near the bear den if that was me haha. PRetty cool story though.

houndogger
03-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Good story! It is always exciting when dogs find a bear den!:biggrin:

Steeleco
03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
So what your saying is, that next to the brown spot on the snow there's a bear den!!!!

huntwriter
03-24-2006, 09:33 PM
This is to funny.:biggrin:

Hope the other guy did not make a "mess" in your father -in-laws truck. I would pay to see that guys face. Priceless.:biggrin:

ratherbefishin
03-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Afriend of mine works for a bee company and they hired an eager young eco-type college student to help them out in the summer.Anyway, the guy ran out of the bee yard when he first got stung-and his yelling first grew fainter as he ran, but then was louder again as he came running back-he had seen a bear on the road-they had a heck of a time even pursuading him to unlock the truck doors so they could get back in-he quit as soon they got back to the plant.

Blktail
03-29-2006, 09:41 PM
My younger brother found a bear den up north while timber cruising. He actually reached in and gave it a pat when he saw how lethargic it was. He left it his apple and it was gone the next day.

Personally, I reckon one should let sleeping dogs (and bears) lie.