PDA

View Full Version : Help a New Hunter with Bear Meat Recipes

700bdl
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi everyone. I am new to this site, and a relatively new hunter. Only been hunting for about 5 years now. My significant other and I have hunted mainly deer, and had a couple unsuccessful moose hunts. Black bear hunting has peaked our interest lately, as we have seen photos of a few bear rugs belonging to other members on this site. I love the look of a big black bear trophy rug, but not too sure what to do with the meat if I get one. So I guess my question is, "What are some black bear recipes?".

Do most hunters just get peperoni made? Do you actually use cuts like roasts and steak? Does the meat have to be treated in a special way for triconosis?

Any advice is appreciated as I am totally clueless in this.:-D

Jelvis
04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey 700bdl welcome to HBC. Check this out for recipes galore the first page of the Forum under
...........Wild Game Recipe ...... towards the bottom left side
..Actual professional Top Iron Chefs giving hints on wild game recipes as well as back yard recipes by hunters to tickle your taste buds and keep you satisfied while eating bear and other tasty meats...
jElvi$ ... World class Chefs right here on Wild Game Recipes .. For you to use and enjoy ..

moosinaround
04-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I get sausage made from my bears. I may have a couple hams made this year, but I will be getting smokies and pepperonies made for sure!! Some folks really like ground bear, others would rather eat the bear as cuts of steak and roasts! It really doesn't matter shoot one and have a quarter made into cuts, and the rest made into sausage! Check out a few other threads as there is a ton of info on bears, bear meat, bear meat with worms, Tricinosis ect. Do a search! If you shoot a bear way out in the woods, well away from civilization it should be good to go. A garbage bear may have issues with Tric! Get out and shoot one, they are tastey!! Moosin

Tanya
04-28-2010, 05:52 AM
It depends very much on the age of the bear. A younger spring bear 3-5 year old type is usually good eats for loin, and rump roasts, the rest for stew meat or the sausage pile. If it is a "trophy" bear, pepperoni or the like is the way to go.

BiG Boar
04-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Where does one take the hams from and how would I save those specifically. Dont just say the arse of the animal. Hopefully this question is helpful to the thread, sorry for the jack.

moosinaround
04-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Where does one take the hams from and how would I save those specifically. Dont just say the arse of the animal. Hopefully this question is helpful to the thread, sorry for the jack.
BigBore the hams are the hind leg portions of the critter. Normally includes the Inside/outside round, and the sirloin tip, with the bone in. It will be the Hip portion of the carcass. They are then brind and smoked, depending on what you are looking for. Just like a pork Ham. Moosin

04-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Here is a poll i conducted pre season this year for the same reason as you.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45648&highlight=beat+meat
i'll try to find my spring or fall poll as well for you

Steeleco
04-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Here's a chart:
http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/uploaded_images/PorkCutsChartLarge.jpg
I like bear more then most other game meat. The burger goes faster than any other, good thing there's a spring season!!

If you get the right bear, all the cuts you like on deer, should also be good on your bear.

BTW, look for a brown rug, black is so passe!!!! LOL

Bow Walker
04-28-2010, 08:30 AM
A "ham" can come from any part of the animal - shoulder, loin, leg, or anywhere in between. A ham can be bone-in or boneless and tied up as a roast before being processed into a "ham".

Shoulder Picnic Ham (bone-in), Shoulder Cottage Roll (boneless), Loin Ham piece (bone-in) or cut up into Kassler Loin Chops. Leg Ham (hind leg) either bone-in or boneless.

You can use part of the leg for boneless hams so that you're not eating ham for days on end. Or you can do the whole leg into a ham for a special occasion.

If you want the "ham" shape to your hind leg that we are all familiar with, then hang the animal by its heels to stretch the legs.

Hams are (I've been told) delicious hot as a main meal and they make very good leftovers for sandwiches and breakfasts.

04-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Take the rumps to the butcher, have him smoke em like hams, FANTASTIC.
Chops out of the back straps Marinate them, sausage the rest.

Good eats !

I'll never hunt with out a bear tag again.

CT

700bdl
04-28-2010, 03:05 PM

No need to apologize as I was wondering the same thing myself.

Bow Walker
04-28-2010, 03:24 PM
There is a guy who does custom cutting, game processing, sausages, hams, etc. He lives/works in the Duncan area. I'm not sure about posting his name or phone number on the internet, but anyone can pm or email me and I'll pass it along.