PDA

View Full Version : bungle vs cow call "hootchie moma"

ewiebehunter
04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
I like to start a debate on what people prefer to use when hunting the great ELk. Please dont rant to long thanks .

bridger
04-26-2010, 10:15 PM
a .338 gets the job done

thetackdriver
04-26-2010, 11:43 PM
a .338 gets the job done

ID have to agree with your decission 100% haha

hunter1947
04-27-2010, 03:50 AM
I like using the reed mouth diafram I use it for cow talk and bugle as for bull chirps ,when a bull is in close you can still call without moving your hands..

BCRiverBoater
04-27-2010, 05:45 AM
With my experience it all depends on time of season and the particular elk that day in the area. I have used several different bugles, reeds and cow calls. They all have worked some days and none have work other days.

But one thing for sure is the .338 RUM gets her done every time.

leadpillproductions
04-27-2010, 05:47 AM
It's a secret.

Darksith
04-27-2010, 07:24 AM
whos that whos that hoochie mamma

Buckmeister
04-27-2010, 09:11 AM
What's a "bungle"? :-?:) An ELK Bugle gone bad?

sheepaholic
04-27-2010, 10:20 AM
on the 3 elk ive got i bugled to locate them then cow called them in the one we got to waltch from the top of a hill and i called him in from aprox a mile to 30 yards it was the best elk hunting experience ive had

4 point
04-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I called a cougar in one time...oh ya that was in a bar. Sorry off topic.

bozzdrywall
04-27-2010, 12:28 PM
I like to use a power bugle to find the bull and depending on the time of year and what the elk are doing i will switch between mouth reeds and cow calls. STAY AWAY FROM THE HOOTCHIE. It only make 3 sounds and an elk can make hundreds if not thousands of sounds. I love to use imakadabullcrazy buy primos in both long and short range. great call for getting them in close

bforce750
04-27-2010, 12:34 PM
X2 Bozz hootchie mama's are crap,thunder bugle is pretty good, diaphram cow calls are good,if it sounds different than any other call it will work!

SteadyGirl
04-27-2010, 02:39 PM
what bozz says. with all the little reeds there is no excuse not to take a pocketful, why sound like one bull or one cow when you can sound like a whole herd

Vader
04-27-2010, 04:51 PM
The hootchie is consistant and that has been it's downfall to me.. There is very little variation of sounds that you can do. Any of the mouth reeds is an excellent choice with a very wide range of noises available. Not easily mastered but very effective. The assortment of lip calls such as the Imakkadabull series or primos also work very well.. Pay attention to what the elk are up to.. your freezer has a good chance of being full.

pescado
04-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Nice to have a few calls you like. Abe & son's calls seem to work. A hootchie mama in your pocket can't hurt. Power bugle has some range. Having confidence in a call in tight can make the diffrence so try a few and see what works with your technique. Good luck, have fun.

Bear Chaser
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
What's a "bungle"? :-?:) An ELK Bugle gone bad?

A bungle is what happens when you shoot a rut crazed bull at close range and he charges straight toward you. Your second shot is from the hip with the elk at full gallop, eyes wide with fear & surprise. Shot #3 at spitting distance broadside brings the excitement to an end and you say "Whew, I nearly bungled that one."

elkdom
04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I think I will hunt with the infamous "HOOTCHIE- MOMMA",,,,:mrgreen:

far too many guys use the " bungle " !:?

thus "bungled" results , and no nice Bull Elk!:wink:

Riverratz
04-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Because of the little typo error in the title, ....a little bit of fun.......with a little advice thrown in.:smile:

I prefer to bugle and try hard not to bungle. If given the choice between a "bungle" and a cow-call, and I'm not able to use a "bugle" I would definitely choose the cow-call. No one wants to bungle. Most can learn to bugle. Almost everyone can make a bugle bungle, so be careful. It's impossible to make a cow-call bugle, but you can make a cow-call bungle.

Pre-season, you should practice with your bugle and other calls as much as possible. Get some good bugle recordings, or DVD's, watch and listen and practice lots, that way you reduce the chances of making a bugle bungle.

Nobody wants to make a bugle bungle, 'cause this sometimes means the elk gets away. If you do make a bugle bungle try not to end up being miserable for the rest of the day. In truth, bull elk make many bugles and your bungle may not be noticed. Even the best bugler can be a bungler. Later on around the fire, you can trade stories of bugle bungles and have lots of laughs. Bugles don't bungle on their own, it is usually the result of a bungling bugler bungling his bugling.

If elk are in the area, and the rut is on or getting near, break out your favorite bugle and bugle your best bugle as best as you can , concentrating on not making a bugle bungle. Wait and listen, sometimes for 10-20 minutes. If you don't hear a bull bugle, bugle another bugle with your bugle, trying very hard not to bungle your bugle. If a bull can hear your bugle, and you didn't bungle, sometimes he will bugle back. Wait some more. If he bugles closer then you know he's coming to the sound of your bugle, and that means you didn't bungle the bugle. Elk are very wary, sometimes they bugle and sometimes they don't, but they seldom bungle. Sometimes they do bungle and that means they never get to bugle again. Not every bugle elk ends up dead, but if a bugle elk bungles by coming to the hunter's bugle, well, that's a different story.

When he gets very close, like 100-200 meters or so, start to use one of your cow calls. When using the cow call don't bungle. It's easy enough to bungle with a bugle, but you can bungle a cow call too. You should have practiced lots before the bugle season. If you don't bungle the cow call, and with a little bit of luck, and, if you are hidden well enough, he comes out of the timber and you get to see him. He has come to your bugle and now he has made a bungle. He's looking for you 'cause he thinks you are another big bugle bull. He might bugle, he might not, but one way or another, he has made a bungle. If he sees or smells you, you have bungled. Bye bye bugle bull.
This is not the time for you to bugle because if you bugle your bugle now, you will bungle and he will be gone before you can even blink. Then you will know what it feels like to have committed the big bugle bungle. Once he has heard your bungled bugle, no amount of bugle will get him back again.

Use long distance bugling to lure him in. When he gets in close, don't bugle your bugle. Use your cow call and don't bungle.

There are some newer bigger baffle bugle bugles with a bulge. I haven't tried them yet because I don't want to make big bulging baffle bugle bungles, and besides, my pack is already bulging with big bugles.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

IslandHunterBXL
04-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Because of the little typo error in the title, ....a little bit of fun.......with a little advice thrown in.:smile:

I prefer to bugle and try hard not to bungle. If given the choice between a "bungle" and a cow-call, and I'm not able to use a "bugle" I would definitely choose the cow-call. No one wants to bungle. Most can learn to bugle. Almost everyone can make a bugle bungle, so be careful. It's impossible to make a cow-call bugle, but you can make a cow-call bungle.

Pre-season, you should practice with your bugle and other calls as much as possible. Get some good bugle recordings, or DVD's, watch and listen and practice lots, that way you reduce the chances of making a bugle bungle.

Nobody wants to make a bugle bungle, 'cause this sometimes means the elk gets away. If you do make a bugle bungle try not to end up being miserable for the rest of the day. In truth, bull elk make many bugles and your bungle may not be noticed. Even the best bugler can be a bungler. Later on around the fire, you can trade stories of bugle bungles and have lots of laughs. Bugles don't bungle on their own, it is usually the result of a bungling bugler bungling his bugling.

If elk are in the area, and the rut is on or getting near, break out your favorite bugle and bugle your best bugle as best as you can , concentrating on not making a bugle bungle. Wait and listen, sometimes for 10-20 minutes. If you don't hear a bull bugle, bugle another bugle with your bugle, trying very hard not to bungle your bugle. If a bull can hear your bugle, and you didn't bungle, sometimes he will bugle back. Wait some more. If he bugles closer then you know he's coming to the sound of your bugle, and that means you didn't bungle the bugle. Elk are very wary, sometimes they bugle and sometimes they don't, but they seldom bungle. Sometimes they do bungle and that means they never get to bugle again. Not every bugle elk ends up dead, but if a bugle elk bungles by coming to the hunter's bugle, well, that's a different story.

When he gets very close, like 100-200 meters or so, start to use one of your cow calls. When using the cow call don't bungle. It's easy enough to bungle with a bugle, but you can bungle a cow call too. You should have practiced lots before the bugle season. If you don't bungle the cow call, and with a little bit of luck, and, if you are hidden well enough, he comes out of the timber and you get to see him. He has come to your bugle and now he has made a bungle. He's looking for you 'cause he thinks you are another big bugle bull. He might bugle, he might not, but one way or another, he has made a bungle. If he sees or smells you, you have bungled. Bye bye bugle bull.
This is not the time for you to bugle because if you bugle your bugle now, you will bungle and he will be gone before you can even blink. Then you will know what it feels like to have committed the big bugle bungle. Once he has heard your bungled bugle, no amount of bugle will get him back again.

Use long distance bugling to lure him in. When he gets in close, don't bugle your bugle. Use your cow call and don't bungle.

There are some newer bigger baffle bugle bugles with a bulge. I haven't tried them yet because I don't want to make big bulging baffle bugle bungles, and besides, my pack is already bulging with big bugles.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
you lost me in two lines with all the bugle, bungle repetition. my brain hurts

elkdom
04-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Bungle in the Jungle !:? coo kah chew- coo kah chew!

I cant wait for "jelvis" to finish writing the lyrics to this new HBC hit!:wink:

elkdom
04-27-2010, 08:04 PM
I have used hootchies' since the first one came out, some seasons bringing in several different bulls close up and personal! and cows and calves included!

, many times the "bugle" is paramount to success, but also many times when hunting a valley with other hunters, a loud bugle will bring in some "no brain er" blasting his lungs out on BUBBAS" do-it all WSS GUARANTEED Elk Bugle", not only will the hootchie bring bulls up close( 9 paces closest shot on a 6X6 bull), but many times I have brought a spooked Bull back with the 'hootchie", sometimes as many as 3 times!, just for fun, passing up a 6 pointer lookin for something bigger!

dont blame your:oops: "bungle" on the hootchie! ,,,lmao!

Vader
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
'parently you've never had a failure with one.. or in my case three.. you couldn't give me one.. and I gave away the another one I found.. or did the hunter huck it away cause it f*@*@d up. At any rate it does work, just not reliable enough for me and requires "hands on" to make it go. Much prefer hands free to draw and chirp to stop.

elkdom
04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
'parently you've never had a failure with one.. or in my case three.. you couldn't give me one.. and I gave away the another one I found.. or did the hunter huck it away cause it f*@*@d up. At any rate it does work, just not reliable enough for me and requires "hands on" to make it go. Much prefer hands free to draw and chirp to stop.

I must do something different to have success ,year after year, :?

elkdom
04-27-2010, 08:41 PM
I have experimented and used the 'hootchie" at different times of the year, late winter, Jan,Feb, brought in feeding elk,mid summer, same story,

I "play with elk" all year around!, and YES you can spook elk with a hootchie-momma ! just as you can with a mouth diaphragm, bugle or any other sound you choose or not choose to make! just a wrong amount of pressure and you make a distress/panic/flee Elk type sound!:cry:

I have tried it several times, find a bunch of feeding or bedded elk, make "good elk sounds" get some elk responding, coming closer! ,,,

then give a "distress bleat" and watch /listen to the entire herd stampede away!:oops:

I have also used a "hootchie" in the open ,daylight, standing up, with the wind in my favor, walked slowly making cow/calf sounds with a "hootchie" and walked upright to within 75 yards of feeding cows, bulls and calves! before they became nervous and walked away into cover!:wink:

hunter#1_300
04-27-2010, 09:43 PM
hochie mamma is good as long as you use it right just like any outher call i know some people that think there mouth reeds sound good but truly sound like crap and have also had people blow good chances when they squeked on a huchie, huchie can be a litle loud at some times but sometimes not. like outhers have said bugle them then cow call them sometimes u only have to bugle and they come in lookin to kick some ass. I find one of the best cow calls is the cow talk also have good luck with the primos sonic dome series and most of the primose calls like the cow girl and imakedabullcrazzy calls best bet is to find a call or several that u can use that best sounds like a real elk

ewiebehunter
04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
For the record this goes to the bunk ranters the bungle was on purpose.

hunter1947
04-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Like a few have said regarding this thread the key is to know when to use it and when not to use your elk call.

I take about a dozen elk calls when I go elk hunting and all 12 are different elk calls..

elkdom
04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
hochie mamma is good as long as you use it right just like any outher call i know some people that think there mouth reeds sound good but truly sound like crap and have also had people blow good chances when they squeked on a huchie, huchie can be a litle loud at some times but sometimes not. like outhers have said bugle them then cow call them sometimes u only have to bugle and they come in lookin to kick some ass. I find one of the best cow calls is the cow talk also have good luck with the primos sonic dome series and most of the primose calls like the cow girl and imakedabullcrazzy calls best bet is to find a call or several that u can use that best sounds like a real elk

WHAT ? constitutes "real elk sounds" ???

A few years ago while sneaking into one my my favorite elk haunts, driving my toyota 4x4 pic-up, opening day, Sept 01, 6am, crawling down a steep hill about 2 klms per hour, my BRAKES started to make the most GAWD awful squeal!, seconds later a bull elk BUGLED about a 100 yards from the trail, then I tried to come to a full stop, the brakes squealed once more!, the bull bugled right back!, I shut off the truck, grabbed my .338 Win and my binos, and a cow call and a bugle, started moving DIRECTLY to the bugling bull,and within 5 minutes shot a large 7x7 at 20 yards, ONE shot in the chest! the other bull continued to bugle and thrash the bush, not 100 yards away while I gutted the 7x bull,

yeah, REAL elk sounds? there are 1000"s !:wink:
when their HOT their HOT!, when their not, their NOT!:confused:

04-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Island hunter BXL,
that was funny

GoatGuy
04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
WHAT ? constitutes "real elk sounds" ???

A few years ago while sneaking into one my my favorite elk haunts, driving my toyota 4x4 pic-up, opening day, Sept 01, 6am, crawling down a steep hill about 2 klms per hour, my BRAKES stared the most GAWD awful squeal, seconds later a bull elk BUGLED about a 100 yards from the tril, then I tried to come to a full stop, the brakes squealed once more, the bull bugled back, I shut off the truck, grabbed my .338 Win and my binos, and a cow call and a bugle, started moving DIRECTLY to the bugling bull,and within 5 minutes shot a large 7x7 at 20 yards, ONE shot in the chest! the other bull continued to bugle and thrash the bush, not 100 yards away while I gutted the 7x bull,

yeah, REAL elk sounds? there are 1000"s !:wink:
when their HOT their HOT!, when their not, their NOT!:confused:

Hahahaha, the best call is to have a pack mule. One of them multi-purpose tool.

Bugle M In
04-28-2010, 09:40 PM
From long to mid range , a bugle is good, as long as you leave the bungle out.
Up close, cow call.
If the bull has a harem, bugle is a bungle if they are far off.
In close, a bugle on a bull with harem, and look out!
Almost run over twice.

As for Bugle, mouth reed is the best.
If to hard, Berry Thunder Bugle is the next best thing I have tried.
Power Bugle is good, for long range.

As for cow call, really no reason not to use a mouth reed.
If not, I like the primos lead cow / calf call, or screery or quaker boy make similar ones.
Work well even in close!
Hootchie momma, not my favorite, I have one, use it every year, but
always revert back to cow call reed.

hunter1947
04-29-2010, 04:33 AM
From long to mid range , a bugle is good, as long as you leave the bungle out.
Up close, cow call.
If the bull has a harem, bugle is a bungle if they are far off.
In close, a bugle on a bull with harem, and look out!
Almost run over twice.

As for Bugle, mouth reed is the best.
If to hard, Berry Thunder Bugle is the next best thing I have tried.
Power Bugle is good, for long range.

As for cow call, really no reason not to use a mouth reed.
If not, I like the primos lead cow / calf call, or screery or quaker boy make similar ones.
Work well even in close!
Hootchie momma, not my favorite, I have one, use it every year, but
always revert back to cow call reed.

Very well put statment I couldent agree more with your post ,good post http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

leadpillproductions
04-29-2010, 06:27 AM
i use nothin but primos there the most user friendly to use . But as for the hoochi i find every one use's it the elk get wise to it . But i do still carry it it does still work . But cant give you the secret weapon call

hunter1947
04-29-2010, 05:11 PM
I have never had any luck using a hootchie moma ,I got two of them and anyone that wants them can have them for free :wink:..

elkdom
04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I have never had any luck using a hootchie moma ,I got two of them and anyone that wants them can have them for free :wink:..

didnt it take you 6 weeks to connect on an elk last year?:?

bigshooter
04-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Today I picked up the primos 3 reed pack with sonic dome from Wholesale sports Nanaimo . It comes with a cd to listen to in the truck. Nanaimo to Shawnigan lake 50 minutes of practice and I think I could fool one ( maybe )

Bugle M In
04-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Sonic Domes by Primos are a good choice.
I used to use the Dome's by HS Specialties, but I believe they were taken to court by Primos and lost so they no longer sell them.

It's a personal preference however.

LeadPills secret weapon may be the Bugle itself ??
Possibly one that ya can't find hanging in any Hunting Store/ Supplier?!!!

Never tried that Abe and Sons Bugle.

Want secrets of the trade...check out an Elk Calling Competition!!

hunter1947
04-30-2010, 03:19 AM
didnt it take you 6 weeks to connect on an elk last year?:?

Yes it did take me 7 weeks to get the job done but and it was not that I was not into bulls every day ,over the entire 7 week elk hunt I encountered around 300 elk.

Out of the 300 elk there was at lest 50 bulls I had seen over this time period ,I declined on a few bulls that I thought were 6 points because I was not sure.

I had many call ins but most bulls where ether a 5x5 or smaller and it was not with a hootchie moma all call ins where with a HS reed mouth diafram.

My video footage of a couple bulls that where 5x5 I posted on HBC after I got back from my elk hunt last years shows that my calling worked very well with the reed ...

bigshooter
04-30-2010, 07:16 PM
How do you store the reed calls after use?
4 hours in the mouth with breakfast coffee etc.
I was thinking spit for the first 10 minutes and your good but maybe another way.

RJ
04-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Hunter1947 Im looking to get into Elk this fall. I would be happy to pay shipping :mrgreen:

hunter1947
05-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Hunter1947 Im looking to get into Elk this fall. I would be happy to pay shipping :mrgreen:

Send me your address with a private message and I will send the Hootchie Mona to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

hunter1947
05-01-2010, 03:32 AM
I was thinking spit for the first 10 minutes and your good but maybe another way.

When I am walking in the elk country I carry mine out side my mouth I hold the end without the latex in my lips.

Before I put it away I make sure it is dry before putting away ,I will put it in the shade for about 5 min then its good to store..

GoatGuy
05-01-2010, 06:49 AM

Copenhagen tin is the way to go.

Lance Barkman
05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Every Elk reacts differently, Find a number of different calls, and see which one fits his fancy. Some years bugling works great, and others it scares them away. Start of slow and sensative, then more aggressive. All else fails, chase him all day with a bugle, eventually he will get tired of you chasing, and come for a fight.