PDA

View Full Version : Baiting for ungulates, legal in B.C.?

Call of the Wild
04-26-2010, 01:53 PM
I don’t want to start an argument in regard of baiting. I’m studying the BC regulation and I would appreciate clarification in regards of baiting for ungulates in B.C.

From my understanding it is legal to bait in B.C. for certain species (Ex. Deer). Personally I mean/define baiting as food plots, cereals and mineral station. As well if a bear would be present at a bait, it would be illegal to harvest the bear.

The only information in regards of baiting I can find (bellow), prevent (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear) any kind of baiting.

1)B.C. regulation defines bait as: Means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.
2)As well from the 2009-2010 hunting regulations on P.14, #16 it’s unlawful to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.

Call of the Wild

KB90
04-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey,

The only thing you cannot bait in BC is bears.

Cheers Kyle

Pioneerman
04-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Hey,

The only thing you cannot bait in BC is bears.

Cheers Kyle

You can not bait for cougars , or wolves either unless I read it wrong rule # 16 it is unlawful to:To intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar,Coyote,Wolf and Bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.

So this means unless you have special permission no it is not legal to bait these dangerous or predatory animals (page 14 last years regs)

Confused
04-26-2010, 03:13 PM
It is illegal to bait bears and migratory bame birds, and that is it. you can bait everything else.........end of thread.:-D

Pioneerman
04-26-2010, 03:26 PM
It is illegal to bait bears and migratory bame birds, and that is it. you can bait everything else.........end of thread.:-D

Could you be kind enough to explain to me about the regs please, you seem to have a good knowledge of them and I don't understand your perception, thank in advance for your clarification . I know you can bait for deer , elk moose, but nothing else that I knew of.

Kind of funny that you can't bait for migratory birds, yet you can hunt in crop fields where they feed

moosinaround
04-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Could you be kind enough to explain to me about the regs please, you seem to have a good knowledge of them and I don't understand your perception, thank in advance for your clarification . I know you can bait for deer , elk moose, but nothing else that I knew of.

Kind of funny that you can't bait for migratory birds, yet you can hunt in crop fields where they feed

And you can hunt bears in an oat or grain field, but not put out oats or grain for them to eat??? Kind of Fu$%^d if you ask me!! Moosin

BlacktailStalker
04-26-2010, 03:37 PM
You can not bait for cougars , or wolves either unless I read it wrong rule # 16 it is unlawful to:To intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar,Coyote,Wolf and Bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.

So this means unless you have special permission no it is not legal to bait these dangerous or predatory animals (page 14 last years regs)

The answer is within the rule, "lawfully engaged in hunting" meaning you cant feed something in your yard because its fun but you can feed/bait if you want to kill the animal, i.e wolves.
Hunting geese in corn fields is no different than hunting blacktails in a slash, they're just eating food that is already there.

Pioneerman
04-26-2010, 03:57 PM
The answer is within the rule, "lawfully engaged in hunting" meaning you cant feed something in your yard because its fun but you can feed/bait if you want to kill the animal, i.e wolves.
Hunting geese in corn fields is no different than hunting blacktails in a slash, they're just eating food that is already there.

When you say it this way , it would be good, but I wonder why in the regs as posted above that you used as an example too, bear is also in those brackets, doesn't that mean the same thing then as the other 3 species mentioned ? I guess if it is legal for the other three why would they put bear in the same spot in the regs. This would mean as you say all would be allowed to be baited since bear is there too, no ?

Thanks

To intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar,Coyote,Wolf and Bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.

Confused
04-26-2010, 04:09 PM
When you say it this way , it would be good, but I wonder why in the regs as posted above that you used as an example too, bear is also in those brackets, doesn't that mean the same thing then as the other 3 species mentioned ? I guess if it is legal for the other three why would they put bear in the same spot in the regs. This would mean as you say all would be allowed to be baited since bear is there too, no ?

Thanks

To intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar,Coyote,Wolf and Bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized.

You are getting the two regs mixed up, the one you quote deals with feeding dangerous wildlife, it is illegal to feed dangerous game, anyone could potentialy be doing this, not just hunters.

Elsewhere in the regs it states it is illegal to bait bears and migratory game birds for hunting.

Pioneerman
04-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks can you point out where that is for me, thanks

Confused
04-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks can you point out where that is for me, thanks

The bear baiting reg is on page 16(of the 09-10 regs), bottom #6

Migatory game birds is on page 18 #16

dana
04-26-2010, 04:31 PM

Thanks

You can lawfully engage in hunting or trapping by baiting when it comes to cougar, coyote and wolf. Not so with bear, as stated in the regs.

Pioneerman
04-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for clearing that up

Call of the Wild
04-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys. There’s a lot to know about the BC regulations.

Call of the Wild

Confused
You read the regs like a lawyer. Make sense your explanation of The P.14, #16 and P. 16 # 6 is the regulation about no bear baiting.

Gauge
04-26-2010, 05:28 PM
spoke with a c.o and he stated the same to me... bear and migratory birds only two not allowed to bait...

MuleyMadness
04-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Pioneerman, the bolded portion lays it out pretty clearly...it's illegal to intentionally feed or try to feed dangerous wildlife EXCEPT when lawfully hunting or trapping.

It's pretty clear that means, you can bait them, as long as it's not specifically disallowed, as it is with bears.

BlacktailStalker
04-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Good points.
And they wonder why people without an english speaking background (and people with one!) would have problems understanding the regs :roll:

Pioneerman
04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
The confusing part of the bold text is why put the word Bear in there if it is never allowed while the others are, that is confusing. I went through all this years ago, when there was a hunting mag called BC hunting, which was actually printed in Alberta, and in this mag they were baiting for bears. so I called and talked to the CO locally and he said no you can't bait any animals for hunting then he did some checking and came back with you can't bait predatory animals, and of course migratory birds

slayer B
04-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Interesting..... so now does anyone know how to convince my wife that I need a tan colored goat for some "Cougar Annie" style hunting (she already said no to hounds but I did get a beagle that loves to chase the house cats)

TyTy
04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
so it is considered fair chase if I put salt licks out?? then hunt over them??

Fisher-Dude
04-26-2010, 07:07 PM
How tough is this?

Legal hunting methods and provincial bag limits:

6. bear may not be hunted by placing bait or by using a dead animal or part of it as bait.

You guys are yapping about FEEDING dangerous wildlife, which is prohibited.

Call of the Wild
04-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh ya, also migratory birds . I don't hunt birds since all my time is well spent on big game.

Fisher-Dude
04-26-2010, 07:11 PM
so it is considered fair chase if I put salt licks out?? then hunt over them??

Fill yer boots. Just don't shoot a bear or migratory bird on yer salt lick. :wink:

blackbart
04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Regardless of legality the practice of "baiting" does not turn my crank. Go find some natural habitat and enjoy the experience of "fair chase".

If you just want to kill something go to a buffalo ranch.

log_roller
04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Bait is for fishing and trapping anything else is just weak

Gateholio
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM

x2

DOne deal!:-D

hunter1947
04-27-2010, 03:57 AM
If you are thinking of baiting an animal and not sure if you can check the regs first and if still in dough then call up the wildlife branch and ask..

Gateholio
04-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Bait is for fishing and trapping anything else is just weak

Using bait for fishing is weak. Anyone that uses bait for fishing is a hack. Fly fishing only.

oldtimer
04-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Using bait for fishing is weak. Anyone that uses bait for fishing is a hack. Fly fishing only.

Prey tell o wise one , what particular fly do you use for , Halibut, red snapper, ling cod. Mike

Gateholio
04-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Prey tell o wise one , what particular fly do you use for , Halibut, red snapper, ling cod. Mike

I think you missed the point....

oldtimer
04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Sorry Gate, I missed the subtle nuance of sarcasm. Be a little more blunt and I will get it right away. :) Mike

Gateholio
04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
When I am blunt, people tell me I am being too harsh.:wink:

bforce750
04-27-2010, 12:27 PM
When I am blunt, people tell me I am being too harsh.:wink:

I dont think people can see the sarcastic look on your face:wink: And isnt it a rule,any method or hunting...if its legal.... ITS LEGAL and your not suppose to frown upon legal methods of hunting others choose to perfom .Right Gate:wink:

Gateholio
04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I dont think people can see the sarcastic look on your face:wink: And isnt it a rule,any method or hunting...if its legal.... ITS LEGAL and your not suppose to frown upon legal methods of hunting others choose to perfom .Right Gate:wink:

Yes, that's one of our rules. However, that doesn't preclude discussion about various methods.

GoatGuy
04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
It isn't exclusively an ethics argument.

There are impacts to wildlife when it comes to baiting and supplemental feeding.

Hotshoe
04-27-2010, 02:19 PM
It isn't exclusively an ethics argument.

There are impacts to wildlife when it comes to baiting and supplemental feeding.

Do tell.....

log_roller
04-27-2010, 06:03 PM

Bait is a luring substance , technically you are baiting the fish while fly fishing ..... whats that about hacks ?:wink:

GoatGuy
04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Do tell.....

Which part?

Localized over-browsing, increased mortality due to incorrect feeding, habituation, disease outbreaks and increased transmission.

Gateholio
04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Bait is a luring substance , technically you are baiting the fish while fly fishing ..... whats that about hacks ?:wink:

You missed the point, too...And it was already spelled out, too!:)

boxhitch
04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Bait is a luring substance , technically you are baiting the fish while fly fishing ..... whats that about hacks ?:wink:In your eyes
What do you use in a 'bait ban' lake ?

boxhitch
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Prey tell o wise one , what particular fly do you use for , Halibut, red snapper, ling cod. MikeSomething large, lots of pink, and heavy enough to get to bottom.
Looks like any Hali jig, but run it on fly line and rod.

log_roller
04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
In your eyes
What do you use in a 'bait ban' lake ?

Dynamite :mrgreen:

------------------------------------------------------
Bait

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bait usually refers to:

Bait (luring substance) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait_(luring_substance)),

boxhitch
04-27-2010, 09:30 PM
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediavalue is in the price.

Bait should be defined as food sources
Like fishing, a worm is bait, a spoon is a lure.

Hotshoe
04-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Which part?

Localized over-browsing, increased mortality due to incorrect feeding, habituation, disease outbreaks and increased transmission.

O.K. for argument sake lets look at the Whitetailed deer. Whitetails are one of the most adaptable species we have in north america, right up there with the coyote. They have flourished in agricultural areas which in turn are one of the, if not thee most, altered landscapes on earth. In the winter these deer take advantage of the left over grain that remains after harvest. You don't have to drive very far in winter to find a group of deer yarded up for the winter on one of these fields, often times herds of more than 100 can be found. So, with these deer on a huge "bait" all winter how have they managed to survive with all of the "localized over-browsing, increased mortality due to incorrect feeding, habituation, disease outbreaks and increased transmission"?
I know what all of the Wildlife ecology text books say, but what has been your observations??

ratherbefishin
04-28-2010, 06:34 AM
I suppose technically speaking ,even setting up on a gut pile for a bear would be baiting

GoatGuy
04-28-2010, 11:29 AM
O.K. for argument sake lets look at the Whitetailed deer. Whitetails are one of the most adaptable species we have in north america, right up there with the coyote. They have flourished in agricultural areas which in turn are one of the, if not thee most, altered landscapes on earth. In the winter these deer take advantage of the left over grain that remains after harvest. You don't have to drive very far in winter to find a group of deer yarded up for the winter on one of these fields, often times herds of more than 100 can be found. So, with these deer on a huge "bait" all winter how have they managed to survive with all of the "localized over-browsing, increased mortality due to incorrect feeding, habituation, disease outbreaks and increased transmission"?
I know what all of the Wildlife ecology text books say, but what has been your observations??

If was referring more to mule deer.

If we're going to talk about white-tails we might as well talk about cattle. Yes, far more adaptable and all the rest of it that comes along with white-tailed deer. Course the TB outbreak in MG certainly raised some eyebrows in the 90s.

My guess is you live in Alberta where in most spots predator populations aren't intact to the same extent as they are in BC. You also don't have the issue of extremely limited winter range which is predominantly browse for mule deer. In Alberta you're dealing with a totally different 'winter range' especially if we're talking about white-tailed deer.

In BC we've had localized attempts at supplementary feeding for mule deer and the predators follow them right in. Past attempts have resulted in md dieing from impaction because good intentioned hunters figured they could simply feed them hay. By the time mule deer are being fed it's usually too late and mule deer won't survive simply on 'hay'. We don't keep track of over-browsing but you can certainly find out about it in the states.

You can see the effect of what you're describing by hiking around in the North Okanagan. White-tails live on MD winter range 12 months/year and eat on farmers fields. Result is few mule deer and 'winter range' that is over-browsed.

In terms of sheep BC has had some huge outbreaks of disease when densities get high and/or contact with domestics and supplemental
feeding.... followed by massive dieoffs.

That's just in BC. Here's a link to the WAFWA - good group of individuals:

http://www.createstrat.com/muledeerinthewest/feeding.html

arcadia
04-28-2010, 01:27 PM
My little kids are hacks, my mom (74 years old) is a hack too. I am glad that you got us all figured out.

Hotshoe
04-28-2010, 02:03 PM
If was referring more to mule deer.

If we're going to talk about white-tails we might as well talk about cattle. Yes, far more adaptable and all the rest of it that comes along with white-tailed deer. Course the TB outbreak in MG certainly raised some eyebrows in the 90s.

My guess is you live in Alberta where in most spots predator populations aren't intact to the same extent as they are in BC. You also don't have the issue of extremely limited winter range which is predominantly browse for mule deer. In Alberta you're dealing with a totally different 'winter range' especially if we're talking about white-tailed deer.

In BC we've had localized attempts at supplementary feeding for mule deer and the predators follow them right in. Past attempts have resulted in md dieing from impaction because good intentioned hunters figured they could simply feed them hay. By the time mule deer are being fed it's usually too late and mule deer won't survive simply on 'hay'. We don't keep track of over-browsing but you can certainly find out about it in the states.

You can see the effect of what you're describing by hiking around in the North Okanagan. White-tails live on MD winter range 12 months/year and eat on farmers fields. Result is few mule deer and 'winter range' that is over-browsed.

In terms of sheep BC has had some huge outbreaks of disease when densities get high and/or contact with domestics and supplemental
feeding.... followed by massive dieoffs.

That's just in BC. Here's a link to the WAFWA - good group of individuals:

http://www.createstrat.com/muledeerinthewest/feeding.html

From your previous posts I assumed you wanted to debate baiting, not give a localized description of a herd of Mule deer.
Could your issue with baiting be more of an overpopulation and confinement issue, rather than a baiting one, regarding ungulate populations?

GoatGuy
04-28-2010, 02:48 PM
From your previous posts I assumed you wanted to debate baiting, not give a localized description of a herd of Mule deer.
Could your issue with baiting be more of an overpopulation and confinement issue, rather than a baiting one, regarding ungulate populations?

Not sure what you mean by overpopulation and 'confinement'.

Comparing winter range in BC and ag land in Alberta is a bit of a stretch especially if we're talking about white-tails.

In BC we're limited more by winter 'range' than we are by winter, if you know what I mean. Snow depth and temperature play a large role but generally speaking in BC we don't have the same nutritional plane as Alberta. Artificially concentrating deer through baiting or supplemental feeding will certainly result in permanent damage (death) of adjacent browse communities. Course if this occurs late in the season when deer are on 'winter range' this will have an effect.

In Alberta you count 'fields' and 'grain' as part of your winter range. In many parts of BC food on winter ranges is predominantly shrubs, not agricultural fields. Deer rely heavily on browse which of course has a lower DE and is not 'regenerated' through seeding, fertilization and harvesting. Once it's overbrowsed, it's either permanently damaged or destroyed. With fire suppression these ecosystems generally revert to back to grasslands so the 'browse' is lost forever.

In any case, instead of having deer spread across the winter range you would end up with deer in a highly localized area resulting in damage.

The white-tail, mule deer issue is relevant across most of the Okanagan where ag and winter range are in close proximity and high density wt pops occur. Relevant to the Kootenays as well. Probably the same issue with elk ag and winter range overlap issues (overpopulation I suppose).

In terms of habituation you can again look at Washington state, or the old data on the 'dump bears' (grizz) that were collared here in BC.

In BC baiting and supplemental feeding, for the most part aren't 'big' issues. Really only occurs for a few sheep populations now.

Seem to be using baiting and supplemental feeding interchangeably. Suppose supplemental feeding is simply baiting on a higher level? If baiting is limited it probably does not have a measurable effect but it it's use was widespread we'd end up with a problem, particularly if it's done on winter range.

J_T
04-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Sounds like you should apply that theory to hunting. Bow only. I know, you like your guns.

04-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Uhhhhh ummmmm whats a Hack?
I fly fish so i musnt be one, unless im trolling Chinookies...then im a hack.
but when im bucktailing coho im not unless im bottom bouncing for lings with a Greenie errrrr Whats a Hack? am i one?

GoatGuy
04-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Sarcasm..........

04-28-2010, 03:56 PM
all round......

Gateholio
04-28-2010, 04:53 PM
My little kids are hacks, my mom (74 years old) is a hack too. I am glad that you got us all figured out.

Third one that missed the point....:wink:

Sounds like you should apply that theory to hunting. Bow only. I know, you like your guns.

Fourth one that missed the point....:wink:

Sarcasm..........

Check out the big brain on Goat Guy!

:biggrin::biggrin:

J_T
04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I got the point. Perhaps you missed mine?

JeremyCarrano302
04-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Ok back to the baiting talk. What about those scent sticks? They illegal or not technically they lure game to an area u want them to be and they make then for just about any species of animal and are sold at wholesale sports?

Gateholio
04-28-2010, 06:43 PM
I got the point. Perhaps you missed mine?

Didn't look like it, but if you say so.:wink:

Hotshoe
04-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Which part?

This quote is what I was wanting you to address with respect to baiting and since there is not baiting allowed in B.C. your discription of B.C. Mule deer populations are not relevant at all. What I meant by saying "over population" and "confinement" is that I think your beliefs on the effects of a baited population should be applied to herds that are over populated and as a result forced or confined to be in closer proximity to one another, than otherwise would be normal.
If you apply your quote to an over populated population then I can see your text book point with but implying that baiting directly results in over-browsing, increased mortality, habituation, disease outbreaks and increased transmission is misleading to most at best, especially when it appears you have never been "around" it before.
By the way I do not live in Alberta where baiting for ungulates is also prohibited and is irrelavant to any "baiting" analogies, and do you really consider the Whitetail deer to be on the same level as cattle??

GoatGuy
04-29-2010, 08:20 PM
This quote is what I was wanting you to address with respect to baiting and since there is not baiting allowed in B.C. your discription of B.C. Mule deer populations are not relevant at all. What I meant by saying "over population" and "confinement" is that I think your beliefs on the effects of a baited population should be applied to herds that are over populated and as a result forced or confined to be in closer proximity to one another, than otherwise would be normal.
If you apply your quote to an over populated population then I can see your text book point with but implying that baiting directly results in over-browsing, increased mortality, habituation, disease outbreaks and increased transmission is misleading to most at best, especially when it appears you have never been "around" it before.
By the way I do not live in Alberta where baiting for ungulates is also prohibited and is irrelavant to any "baiting" analogies, and do you really consider the Whitetail deer to be on the same level as cattle??

Baiting is legal in BC, it just isn't commonly practiced. In BC baiting, particularly on winter range, would result in all the above as has occurred with supplemental feeding. It's a no brainer really. Baiting certainly concentrates deer in 'closer proximity to one another', that's why it's conducted.:wink: There is 'evidence' ( unpublished data, published papers etc) of habituation, disease outbreaks and transmission, negative effects on herd health etc from supplemental feeding for multiple species. You can also 'see it' in BC. There have been several papers out of the US for deer, elk and bears on all of the above directly from baiting and/or supplemental feeding (bears). There's really no point in going over what's already been studied and found multiple times. There are literally hundreds of papers on it. Particularly when you consider most states don't have to deal with the bottleneck of extremely limited winter range that we have in BC.

White-tailed deer are one of the most adaptive species in NA. The species is found all across NA apparently including the Yukon and can eek out a living in almost any type of habitat and if left unchecked they can damage any type of habitat due to their prolific nature. In BC we have a huge diversity of wildlife and to be very honest species like sheep, grizzly bears, goats, caribou and mule deer have more value placed on them because they are a significant part of BC's diversity and one of the remaining areas with somewhat intact ecosystems for these species.

Besides that there's also plenty of science from various 'theories' and authors that has shown white-tailed deer are either directly or indirectly responsible for negatively affecting mule deer and other ungulate populations (caribou). So yes if we're going to worry about species and baiting we're going to worry about the impacts on goats, sheep, caribou, mule deer and probably even elk before we worry about white-tailed deer, much like we concern ourselves with those species before cattle. Those are just the 'game species'.

Hotshoe
04-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Baiting is legal in BC, it just isn't commonly practiced. In BC baiting, particularly on winter range, would result in all the above as has occurred with supplemental feeding. It's a no brainer really. Baiting certainly concentrates deer in 'closer proximity to one another', that's why it's conducted.:wink: There is 'evidence' ( unpublished data, published papers etc) of habituation, disease outbreaks and transmission, negative effects on herd health etc from supplemental feeding for multiple species. You can also 'see it' in BC. There have been several papers out of the US for deer, elk and bears on all of the above directly from baiting and/or supplemental feeding (bears). There's really no point in going over what's already been studied and found multiple times. There are literally hundreds of papers on it. Particularly when you consider most states don't have to deal with the bottleneck of extremely limited winter range that we have in BC.

White-tailed deer are one of the most adaptive species in NA. The species is found all across NA apparently including the Yukon and can eek out a living in almost any type of habitat and if left unchecked they can damage any type of habitat due to their prolific nature. In BC we have a huge diversity of wildlife and to be very honest species like sheep, grizzly bears, goats, caribou and mule deer have more value placed on them because they are a significant part of BC's diversity and one of the remaining areas with somewhat intact ecosystems for these species.

Besides that there's also plenty of science from various 'theories' and authors that has shown white-tailed deer are either directly or indirectly responsible for negatively affecting mule deer and other ungulate populations (caribou). So yes if we're going to worry about species and baiting we're going to worry about the impacts on goats, sheep, caribou, mule deer and probably even elk before we worry about white-tailed deer, much like we concern ourselves with those species before cattle. Those are just the 'game species'.
Good response! You win. But, I still think you have baiting confused with winter supplemental feeding, which is different in my eyes. Also, baiting doesn't create the problems you speak of, it's the over population that does. One other thing I have to mention before I shut up is lots of times the anti-bait debaters imply that baiting somehow creates disease.....it may increase transmissions through increased contact but it isn't responsable for "creating" disease. I am done now.

digger dogger
04-30-2010, 08:26 AM
i could see if an outfit, was baiting that could be a prob. ( always something to eat from sept to dec) no need to find other natural areas! in the case of the hobby hunter, i doubt a baiting station is gonna screw things up. i bait on my property only! deer Co caine all year, c'mere deer in the early fall, and apples in the late fall. (once the bears are gone to sleep) tons of doe piss in the rut.. i've taken 1 buck on my property in the last 4 yrs, seen tons of lil fellers. not what i'm lookin for.. imo doe piss is the best when used at the right time.. if its legal hunt how it suits you best..

GoatGuy
04-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Good response! You win. But, I still think you have baiting confused with winter supplemental feeding, which is different in my eyes. Also, baiting doesn't create the problems you speak of, it's the over population that does. One other thing I have to mention before I shut up is lots of times the anti-bait debaters imply that baiting somehow creates disease.....it may increase transmissions through increased contact but it isn't responsable for "creating" disease. I am done now.

The stuff I have is hard copy and 'pay' only.

Google baiting for white-tailed deer and see what comes up. I'm sure you'll end up with a bunch of work. There is some work specifically directed at bait, not just supplemental feeding.

The bait debate is left for the social area, most of the implications are pretty clear to science.

naswell
10-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Sorry to keep this post going. But what are reg's on Live bait ? i havnt been able to find a No

boxhitch
10-14-2012, 08:25 AM
what are reg's on Live bait ? i havnt been able to find a No Then you have answered your own question, unless your own ethics are looking for support.

sparkes3
10-14-2012, 09:30 AM
if you know the gut pile is there and your hunting over it for bears then i would say you using it as bait.
but if your driving along or hiking along and shoot a bear then discover the gut pile i dont see it as baiting .
would probally be interesting to see how a c o would see it,outcome would probally have a lot to do with your actions and demeanor .
second scenario i see everyone going happily on their way.

naswell
10-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Then you have answered your own question, unless your own ethics are looking for support.

Well it should be stated in the Regulations not word of mouth

Rick42wood
05-28-2021, 06:33 PM
Current update. Regulations have changed. There is no baiting of any ungulates in BC.

Cat catcher
05-28-2021, 06:51 PM
Where did you see this?

huntingfamily
05-28-2021, 06:55 PM
Current update. Regulations have changed. There is no baiting of any ungulates in BC.

Kootenay region only. Check the reg's...

IronNoggin
05-29-2021, 12:39 PM

https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ROFLMAO.gif

Riiiiight!!! :roll:

Nog