PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Report

huntinnewbie
04-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Spent the weekend in the Princeton area. Put about 100K on the quads.
Saw 1 grouse, no bears, tons of mulies.
People camped next to us saw 1 yearling black bear.
No bear sign at all anywhere that we went. From valley bottom to snow line. Guess it's still a little early.
The mule deer we saw were in wonderful condition with lots of does still sporting their twins from last year. These last year fawns were also looking very good and had some real good size on them.
Our total mulie count was approaching 75+. of course seeing upwards of 30 in a field beside Hwy 3 helped with the count.
Couldn't say if any were bucks as no one was sporting antlers, porbably dropped already.
Saw one doe with last year twins that looked like a freaking draft horse, biggest doe I have ever seen, really tall and I swear her ears were 15" plus in length.
Didn't hear any grouse drumming so I guess a few weeks early for that also.
Did see 1 blackie in Manning Park, south slope eating green grass.
Will be back, probably for May long weekend and let you know what we see or get.:-D

snowhunter
04-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Bears are rare sights around Princeton. I know couple of locals who spend all their sparetime looking for spring bears from the quad, without any luck.

In all my years of hunting and hiking Princeton area, I have only come across two bears.

SHACK
04-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Awe come on now, there is plenty enough bears in the region. I myself have shot 3-4 from within a 40 mile radius of Princeton. One of the top 10 largest bears I ever seen was in that radius as well. The closest one I ever seen to Priceton proper was at the right turn China Creek ski area, on the benches just above town. Plenty around siwash, red creek, trout main, and all those lovely areas to the east of town near Bankier.

huntinnewbie
04-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Snowhunter must be looking in the wrong places, or he doesn't want anyone to know, lol.
We had relatives here, last summer, from the UK and all they wanted to see was a real wild bear. We took them camping in the Princeton area and saw 11 bears in 2 days of quading. Including a couple of nice cinnamon ones.
There are lots of bears in the Princeton area.

ruger#1
04-26-2010, 09:16 AM
You should try upper hat creek. Lots there in september. I seen a yellowish black bear when i was going to goose lake last year, It was a wierd color. Also had a talk with one of the forestry guys and he said there is a grizzley up around hornet lake.

snowhunter
04-26-2010, 09:23 AM
I have never been looking for bears around the town of Princeton, especially in "40 mile radius of Princeton". I am talking about looking for bears within the view of Princeton. Yes, one of them was a large one. I have also encountered cougar within the view of Princeton.

The locals I know that used a quad for bear hunting, was driving the quad, in and out of Princeton.

I am certain, increasing the bear hunt to a "40 mile radius (60 km)" of Princeton, would increase your chances for shooting a bear.

ruger#1
04-26-2010, 09:38 AM
I have never been looking for bears around the town of Princeton, especially in "40 mile radius of Princeton". I am talking about looking for bears within the view of Princeton. Yes, one of them was a large one. I have also encountered cougar within the view of Princeton.

The locals I know that used a quad for bear hunting, was driving the quad, in and out of Princeton.

I am certain, increasing the bear hunt to a "40 mile radius (60 km)" of Princeton, would increase your chances for shooting a bear.Darcy mountain is a good place to start Also copper canyon road.

Phreddy
04-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Naw there aren't any bears in Princeton. You can trust me, I used to work for the government. ;-)

weatherby_man
04-26-2010, 11:43 AM
You can trust me, I used to work for the government. ;-)

There goes your credibility,,,,,

snowhunter
04-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Been on Copper Mountain roads lots of time, never seen any bears there. Lots of mule deer, coyotes and hunters, sometimes locals, who hunts to and from work.

shekarchi
04-26-2010, 02:31 PM
I have been to Copper Mountain roads twice and I have seen 3 bears, one very nice cinnamon bear (too small though). they are there.

papaken
04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I have seen lots of bears in the Princeton area over the years. Shot 1 up Whipsaw, 1 up China Creek, and 1 up Ketchan lake Rd. None were huge but they were all good eatin'. All blacks but I have seen cinnamon and brown phase. Might be a little early yet but very soon they will be out. 2 I got while hiking old skidder trails. The 1 up whipsaw came to the landing we were camped at when I was elk bugling. Don't know if he was curious, stupid or I maybe I sounded like a dyin' elk. LOL

huntinnewbie
04-26-2010, 03:08 PM
I also have seen a black bear on Copper Mtn Rd. just a little guy and he scrambled up a tree and gave us a photo op. Just can't remember where the pics are. It wasn't hunting season at the time and he/she was too little anyway.
Seen a bruiser of a bear a few years back up at Snowpatch, roly poly belly on the ground kinda black bear with an unbelievable coat on him, he shimmered and shook like jelly as he ran across an open field by the old ski lodge. Also saw a shooter behind the rodeo grounds when we were horse back riding. He was settled in a semi dry swamp eating what looked to be cattails. Probably can't hunt there, to close to town.

huntinnewbie
04-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Bears are rare sights around Princeton. I know couple of locals who spend all their sparetime looking for spring bears from the quad, without any luck.

In all my years of hunting and hiking Princeton area, I have only come across two bears.

Hmmmmm, "snowhunter" he who hunts in the snow..................that,s the problem, there all in bed when your out and about:mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't help that one,LOL

snowhunter
04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Snowhunting is facinatin, once I come across fresh cougar tracks at minus 25 celcius, then follow fresh coyote tracks and see how they chase mice under the snow. Another time, I came upon, several frozen, deer stomac contens on a frozen lake, clearly the only "leftovers", not eaten by the coyote's who had chased the deer's out on the frozen lakes snow covered ice, where they were unable to escape the hungry coyote's. In winters, I like to walk indside the forrest, since the snow is not as deep as out in the open.

ruger#1
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I have seen dead deer on the ice at otter lake. Not a nice site. But the yotes and birds got their fill. Also have seen a few nice bears around garrison lakes. I think I only see them because I do not hunt them.

Iron Glove
04-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Like Huntinewbie, we just got back from an extended weekend in Tulameen / Princeton. Damn mulies all over the place, had to chase two from the Otter Valley Gun Range so the son and I could do some shooting. Lots and lots of large mulies to be seen, can't tell if they were boys or girls tho'.
One bear, maybe the same one in Manning at the side of the road.
Princeton is surrounded by bears. Son used to work about 8 km out of town and ran into bears on almost a daily basis when biking home on the KVR or whem fishing the creeks.
In Tulameen, we've had a Blackie about 100 m. from our place and a Grizzly cub across the river @ 1 km away.

snowhunter
04-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Tulameen is far away from Princeton. It's going to be a different story, just like last years hunting season, when the deer disappears after the opening day shotings and particularily, the dramatic change in human behaviors from tourist to predatory animals, which the deer immidiatly reacts to by hiding and turning more to nocturnal activities.

We will again, as usual, from September to December, read and hear in these fine page, "that there are very few deer" in Tulameen/Princeton :)

ruger#1
04-27-2010, 09:09 AM
They also migrate to their wintering grounds, One reason they are not seen. Then you have the city deer you see all year round.

Iron Glove
04-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Tulameen is far away from Princeton. It's going to be a different story, just like last years hunting season, when the deer disappears after the opening day shotings and particularily, the dramatic change in human behaviors from tourist to predatory animals, which the deer immidiatly reacts to by hiding and turning more to nocturnal activities.

We will again, as usual, from September to December, read and hear in these fine page, "that there are very few deer" in Tulameen/Princeton :)

Well, some were refering to a "40 km. radius" and Tulameen is well within that. :mrgreen:
And yes, come hunting season it'll be a wee bit harder to find deer and bear but they are there and it's usually us Tulameeners who say there is nothing around to keep the all you interlopers away. :twisted:
But back on topic re bears within sight of Princeton, they are all over the place around there. You might not bag one walking down Vermillion on a Sunday afternoon but a quick short drive and they are out there.

CanuckShooter
04-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Just go hunt near the tunnel on the flats.......

snowhunter
04-27-2010, 12:34 PM
There is only one tunnel in Princeton, and it is within city limits, and therefore no hunting or any discharge of firearms around it. I do not see those flats as good deer hunting areas. There are lots of deer within city limits, however, I have never encountered bears within the city of Princeton. One cougar was, in broad daylight, spotted on a roof along the main street. Cougars and deers are bigger problem in the town of Princeton than bears.

"Princeton area" is frequented by about 3500 hunters yearly, which is good for the towns economy. I seldom meet other hunters on my "Princeton area" hunting areas. The same story goes for the other areas I hunt in B.C.

ruger#1
04-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Well, some were refering to a "40 km. radius" and Tulameen is well within that. :mrgreen:
And yes, come hunting season it'll be a wee bit harder to find deer and bear but they are there and it's usually us Tulameeners who say there is nothing around to keep the all you interlopers away. :twisted:
But back on topic re bears within sight of Princeton, they are all over the place around there. You might not bag one walking down Vermillion on a Sunday afternoon but a quick short drive and they are out there.I know there is one down town, I have seen him at the A&W a few times, He is a big bugger to.

deerstocker
04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
last year seen 3 blackies in one day one right buy the airport

snowhunter
04-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Hunting and discharging firearms around the Princeton Airport will provoke serious and costly reactions:

1. The town of Princeton, which have banned hunting within it's city limits.

2. Airport, owned by the Federal Government, is located next to the high school.

3. Consider the same servere penalties as if you brought your loaded gun into the Vancouver Airport grounds and started to "hunt".

4. Please show respect for Princeton residents, by not hunting within the city limits. If in doubts, contact City of Princeton at Main Street or the CO office, and look at a map of citiy limits, before you hunt.

Iron Glove
04-28-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't think that anyone was seriously suggesting ( at least I hope not :confused: ) hunting in the town of Princeton. Son's Mother-In-Law lives right by the Airport and they regularly see wildlife there but I don't think anyone is foolish enough to shoot anything.
It is interesting tho' that the town folk have looked into various ways of reducing or eliminating the deer population that runs wild in the town. have heard stories of the odd deer falling to an arrow in the night but don't have any proof.
I agree tho', lets all respect Princeton, it's a great town with a great attitude towards outdoors activities.

huntinnewbie
04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Ya beat me to it. Seeing bears within the town limits is one thing, shooting them is entirely different.
I love Princeton, one of my favorite places to go for some R&R and hunting or both. Love the small town feel, friendly people and beautiful countryside. And the fact that it doesn't rain eveery second freaking day is a real bonus.
One day we will retire there for good.

Phreddy
04-28-2010, 10:44 AM

I can't let this one go by. I want to be first before the rush in Sept/Dec so let me go on record with "There are very few deer in Tulameen/Princeton."
Ah....that feels much better.

huntinnewbie
04-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I can't let this one go by. I want to be first before the rush in Sept/Dec so let me go on record with "There are very few deer in Tulameen/Princeton."
Ah....that feels much better.

Yup, I heard they are as scarce as pine trees in the Princeton area:wink:

Iron Glove
04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Yup, I heard they are as scarce as pine trees in the Princeton area:wink:

Actually, the pine tree is an endangered species now in the area due to the Pine Beetle. :mrgreen:
As Phreddy says, there are no deer around the Princeton / Tulameen area. There are, however, countless thousands of big bucks waiting to be harvested on Lawless Road, just a few miles off the Coquihalla. All Lower Mainlanders are encouraged to go there this fall. :wink:

swampdonkey
04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
There's no more deer on lawless either to many locals:wink:

snowhunter
04-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I hear that the fire at Lawless has improved the deer habitat, and a helicopter pilot told that he spotted large herds of deer at Lawless, shortly after the fire.

Iron Glove
04-28-2010, 03:43 PM
I hear that the fire at Lawless has improved the deer habitat, and a helicopter pilot told that he spotted large herds of deer at Lawless, shortly after the fire.

No, no deer.
There was however a large influx of mushroom pickers who look like deer. :-D

mikeman20
04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
was in tulameen 3 weeks ago and saw mule deer EVERYWHERE, no bears or grouse though. My girlfriends dad has told me alot of deer just winter there, so come hunting season i doubt its going to be as plentiful

CanuckShooter
04-29-2010, 04:16 AM
There is only one tunnel in Princeton, and it is within city limits, and therefore no hunting or any discharge of firearms around it. I do not see those flats as good deer hunting areas. There are lots of deer within city limits, however, I have never encountered bears within the city of Princeton. One cougar was, in broad daylight, spotted on a roof along the main street. Cougars and deers are bigger problem in the town of Princeton than bears.

"Princeton area" is frequented by about 3500 hunters yearly, which is good for the towns economy. I seldom meet other hunters on my "Princeton area" hunting areas. The same story goes for the other areas I hunt in B.C.

And where do you think the old rail bed that goes through the tunnel goes?? Do you think perhaps it goes outside of the city limits?? I gave you a hot tip on where to find bucks..you don't want to listen that's your choice. ;-)

snowhunter
04-29-2010, 08:26 AM
I have bicycled the old rail road bed from Tulameen to past the tunnel at Princeton, and will not consider it to be prime deer habitat. The first part from Princeton is a very steep canyon for a while, and the rail road bed does go through some semi open areas, and I have seen few deer along these openings, but not long enough to figure out if they had antlers, before they jumped into the dense forrest.

There is a very steep and narrow road on the southern side of the river from Princeton, and I have seen and shoot few grouse along that road, which are in shade, and the road eventually ends up at an old gold mining operation a long the river, and that's were I have encountered deer.

Check it out yourself, and you might bag one or two grouse ? If you continue on the road on the southern side of the river, you will end up at some stone mining operation, and I have never seen any deer on that road, which are very dense on both side of the road.