PDA

View Full Version : reegion 8 turkey

bckev
03-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi
Did anyone get a turkey in region 8 last fall? Is anyone hunting them this spring?

mark
03-24-2006, 08:53 AM
i would if i knew where to find em! personally ive never seen one in the OK

Fred
03-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Apperently there are lots of them in the Grand Forks/Christina Lake area. There are also Turkeys in the Midway/Rock Creek region and they are trending north from there.
Mark, if you were to head up past Joe Rich and loop around towards Beaverdell you might run into some. Fred

bckev
03-24-2006, 11:40 AM
I saw some just before the season opened, and then didn't see them again. I picked up a call at the sportsman show and will try it out this spring. I am just curious if anyone had any luck.

mark
03-24-2006, 12:53 PM
has anyone hunted them with a bow? is it legel or possible?

slyfox
03-24-2006, 01:09 PM
ITS legel to hunt them with a bow mark and you could kill one with a bow if you get close to them i would say up to 35 yards i shot one at 15 yards with a shot gun on time i could have killed them with a rock after i shot the biggest one the others did not even move only when i ran at them but that was when it was leh and not that many hunters around.

dave_fras
03-24-2006, 02:31 PM
there r a few up in carmi too...... theres a couple guys who trap them and let them go around there..... ive seen lots

NightOwl74
03-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi, I heard from the guy that works at Bear Creek Sports here in Kelowna that 150 were released in the kelowna area 3 years ago. He gave me a tip where they were released, but I don't wanna say where lol! I only saw one in the ok it was on the way to my salmon hole near enderby. A loner out in a field. I'll give it a try I think with my Recurve this spring.

sealevel
03-24-2006, 03:38 PM
My friend is one of them moving and counting turks one year ago six of then counted 450 of them in beaverdale in the christainson valley they figger there is 1000 birds. I know where there are some around kelowna. There is a few around enderby but not many.

huntwriter
03-24-2006, 04:50 PM
has anyone hunted them with a bow? is it legel or possible?
It is very much possible to kill a turkey with a bow mark.
There are a few requirements for the bow and the set up.

Use a good natural groundblind so the turkey cannot see you moving when pulling the string.

Set the bow to a weight which you can comfortably hold back for several minutes.

Use a brunt broadhead with judo snags or buy a set of turkey broadheads. My broadheads are old Magnus cut to the tip that I have cut notches in the sides and cut of the tip too. The shot should never be a pass trough on any turkey. Chances of loosing him with a pass trough shoot are very common as the turkey will fly away.

A compound is preferable to a long bow. A crossbow is even better.

Learn how to make a purr call with a mouth call. That way when the you hear the bird coming in you can get ready with the bow and call him the last few yards closer with the mouth call.

On a strutting tom aim right in the center of the body. A better way to immoblize them is to let them strut in front of you and then wait till the tom turns his back on you now you can make a perfect "Texas Hearthshot" and this will keep him for sure on the ground.

After the shot drop everything jump up and run as fast as you can to the bird and stretch its neck. The later bit is adviseable for shotgun hunters too.

I have seen hunters hooting, hollering and high fiveing after they shot a turkey square in the noggin. While they where doing that the turkey got up a flew away. A turkey aint dead till you make sure he is by stretching his neck.

Seth
03-24-2006, 08:25 PM
I seen eight turkeys off to the side of a logging road in 8-14 last fall. I thought they are supposed to spook easy! These things just sat there like grouse. Stupid things. . . It's weird seeing them in the wild instead of on some American hunting show.

cowboy-up69
03-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I seen eight turkeys off to the side of a logging road in 8-14 last fall. I thought they are supposed to spook easy! These things just sat there like grouse. Stupid things. . . It's weird seeing them in the wild instead of on some American hunting show.

Good, thats what I liek to hear! Kishman is plannin a trip there on the 12th of April, and I might tag along and bag some of them things. Would be cool, gunna hunt them with my new bow! ;)

NightOwl74
03-24-2006, 08:34 PM
This topic is makin my mouth water. But how do these wild turkeys taste? The same as a store bought, more gamey, darker meat? ?:confused:

NightOwl74
03-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey Huntwriter, you mentioned fashioning a natural ground blind. But how do you locate these delicious creatures, so that you do not waste your time? I am from Kelowna, for example, so what type of cover do Turkeys prefer in the mixed pine forests of this area? What do they prefer to eat here? Do they need to live near water, or do they get water from there food, kinda like a grouse?:?: :?: :wink:

kishman
03-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Hey Huntwriter, you mentioned fashioning a natural ground blind. But how do you locate these delicious creatures, so that you do not waste your time? I am from Kelowna, for example, so what type of cover do Turkeys prefer in the mixed pine forests of this area? What do they prefer to eat here? Do they need to live near water, or do they get water from there food, kinda like a grouse?:?: :?: :wink:

From what I've read Turkeys do need a water source, as for diet it sounds like they'll eat damn near anything,from seeds and shoots to small Frogs and Lizards. Good hunting.

kishman,

huntwriter
03-24-2006, 11:07 PM

Waith until the hunting season opens and the first turkey gets a head full of pellets. Then you will see how stpid this birds are. They learn quick and an inner clock seems to tell them when the hunters come for them.

huntwriter
03-24-2006, 11:31 PM
It's much better to make a ground blind with natural material than to use a commerical blind. Just make sure you make it not to elaborate so it does not become an eyesore and obvious to the animals. Often a fallen tree with a few branches added will do just fine.

If you don't want to waist time then the quickest way to get a turkey is in Save-on-Food.:biggrin:

Turkeys roost in higher elevations, like a ridge top or so. They also prefer trees with sturdy branches and not to many leafs. These are heavy and big birds that fly very well but have problems in the takeoff and landing. At dawn the hens fly down then mingle a bit before they go off downhill preferably into a river bottom or farmers fields to feed. The toms will fly down a little later and then follow the hens. On the way to the feeding area toms stray a bit to see if their are more girls in the area and they do so by walking along ridge tops and along cover edges like a forest line or a right of way lane.

Find out where turkeys roost. This is done by driving the roads and farm roads at dawn and dusk looking for the birds and where they head to roost. Another tactic is to roost the birds yourself. Find a flock right at dusk then chase them until they take off flying. Watch where they fly to and then be back there early the next morning. Go above the birds on a ridge top and make a few locator calls right at dawn.

If there are many crows in the area use a crow call as locator call if it's coyotes use a lound coyote howl. Turkey toms will answer with a gobble to any loud sound in the morning.
Once you located the birds go ahead of where they travel, if you scouted and watched them you know where they go and what rout they use. Set up somewhere near the roosting tree but not closer than 200 to 300 yards and start calling for the tom with lovesick hen calls.

If you are not lucky at the first set up follow the turkey, out of sight, to the feeding area and set up again near the feeding area but ahead of the travelling birds. If you by now still have no tom you can do one of two things. Either go fishing or try again but this time more to the roosting tree because in the afternoon turkeys loaf a bit around and then head home up the hill. This turkey hunting thing is in many regards a bit like elk hunting.

But I can tell you this, like in all hunting, there is no easy way around it. You got to scout and you got to learn the turkeys daily habits otherwise your hunting success will depend on luck and you know how that turns out.

Scouting is the most important part of hunting. If I go on a short hunting trip over the weekend, I rather spend two days scouting and hunt one day.That's how important to me scouting is, in fact for me it is hunting.

Summary: Find the roosting tree. Find the food source. Figure out how the birds go from A to B and Bingo Bob is your uncle. It's easy.

Good luck to you.

Freshtracks
03-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Found where some gobblers were last Sept. WT hunting ... now if they stick around there this spring we're in the money.

bckev
03-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Good information. I raise domestic turkeys and am curious how the wild ones taste. I will let people know if I get one, of course I won't tell you where.

huntwriter
03-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Good information. I raise domestic turkeys and am curious how the wild ones taste. I will let people know if I get one, of course I won't tell you where.
Wild turkey meat is not as tender as domestic turkey but is has a better flavour. Depending what the birds primary diet is the flavour can change a bit but generally speaking it is gamey. I like it better than domestic turkey. When I cook a wild turkey I use different spices than for a domestic bird. I use more different herbs plus salt and pepper. As stuffing I use a mixture of dark brown breed, herbs, red wine and chestnuts. With that I want to compliment the "wild" flavour of the bird rather than kill it with traditional seasoning.

dave_fras
03-25-2006, 03:45 PM
ya ive seent he while i ewas going up salmon fishing in enderby......around cooke creek...... ive also seen some up the christainson valley too...... r u tlak about fat shit at bear creek..... hes always tellin stories but u can never believe them lol

NightOwl74
03-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Huntwriter, Thanks alot. Now the bird is down with a clean arrow shot. So now what? Is there a right and a wrong way to "de-feather" these things? Also I am into traditional archery, and it would be great to harvest the wing feathers for fletching my hexshafts.......should I bother or is it a pain in butt to make my own fletching. I dunno, just ideas.........

NightOwl74
03-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Her's another idea. Last year I was driving along a backroad near Kelowna when I cought a glimpse of a big blue grouse flying into a tree off to the left. I decided to see how close I could walk up to this guy before he would fly again. I parked, took two or three steps into bushes and 6 more grouse took off from my feet. I almost had a heartattack..so startled. Anyway, these things were absolutely gorging themselves(and so was I) on blueberries. I must have hit the peak time for these because the berries were the size of a marble. The forest was carpeted just in this 200 foot length of roadside. So, DO TURKEYS HANG OUT IN BERRY PATCHES WHEN IN SEASON?

huntwriter
03-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Huntwriter, Thanks alot. Now the bird is down with a clean arrow shot. So now what? Is there a right and a wrong way to "de-feather" these things? Also I am into traditional archery, and it would be great to harvest the wing feathers for fletching my hexshafts.......should I bother or is it a pain in butt to make my own fletching. I dunno, just ideas.........
Gut the turkey a.s.a.p.If you have a long walk to the truck and ride home. If not then you can clean the bird at home. But it is always better to clean it a.s.a.p.
Depending what you want.
If you want to keep the fan and beard to have tehm mounted as a trophy then cut of the tail bone with the feathers attached. Make an incision around the beard with a sharp knife and pull the beard off with the skin and gristle layer.
If you don't want to keep any feathers and beard, boil a big pot of water. Once the water is very hot pour it gently over the bird starting on the back legs. Then pull some feathers off. If they come off easy keep pulling them off if not then pour some more hot water over it.

A traditional bow can be used to kill a tom. Consult the Regulations and see how much draw weight is required. Can you hold comfortably 30 to 40 pounds draw weight? If yes go with that. Don't take shots much longer than 20 to 25 yards and wait until the tom turns his back on you then pull the string and let the arrow fly for a perfect Texas heart shot, aim right at the anus. Personally I do not advice to shoot a turkey broadside with traditional gear because he will see you and be gone, unless you sit in a ground blind. Remeber any turkey that comes to a call will search every inch with his eagle eyes to look for that hen he has heard so they are very watchful.

There are many teaditional hunters that make their own fletching from the wing feathers of a turkey they shot. I never did it but I do know that it is not that difficoult to do, just time consuming. But then again their is a special satisfaction in making something. There are also hunters who make their own turkey calls out of the wing bones, hence the name "Wing Bone Call".

huntwriter
03-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Her's another idea. Last year I was driving along a backroad near Kelowna when I cought a glimpse of a big blue grouse flying into a tree off to the left. I decided to see how close I could walk up to this guy before he would fly again. I parked, took two or three steps into bushes and 6 more grouse took off from my feet. I almost had a heartattack..so startled. Anyway, these things were absolutely gorging themselves(and so was I) on blueberries. I must have hit the peak time for these because the berries were the size of a marble. The forest was carpeted just in this 200 foot length of roadside. So, DO TURKEYS HANG OUT IN BERRY PATCHES WHEN IN SEASON?
You make an interesting point here. Turkeys eat a great variety of food including berries. But to know what a turkeys diet is in any given area we need to scout. As I wrote in an earlier post, scouting is absolutley imperative to hunting success.

Just the other day a guy phoned me up from Kentucky and asked me where he could find turkeys in his area. When I told him that I do not know he got a little upset and said. "But I thought you are a turkey expert Othmar." "Well that might be but I still can't tell you where they are" I answered him, "Because I have not scouted your area thus I do not know what the turkeys all eat and when that food is available to them. Neither do I know the topography and how the birds use the land to travel." As it turned he was quit surprised that even a so called expert had to scout every single time he goes hunting.

In this regard you observed well what the grouse ate and I would go back and check if the turkeys are into that food too. Find the food and find out when that food is available to the birds and then from there find out how, when and where they travel from A to B. SCOUT.

ratherbefishin
03-28-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm heading up to Kelowna sometime mid May for a spring bear hunt with my boy -one of the spots we go to is the powerline north of Mable lake,is there any chance of finding turkeys on the grassy powerline right of way?

huntwriter
03-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm heading up to Kelowna sometime mid May for a spring bear hunt with my boy -one of the spots we go to is the powerline north of Mable lake,is there any chance of finding turkeys on the grassy powerline right of way?

If the area holds turkeys then a powerline right of way is a very good place to start looking for turkey sign, featers, droppings, dusting scrapes, food sources ect.

Hint. Find a roosting tree near the right of way. These trees can be easely made out. Usually they are large with sturdy braches and the bottom of the tree is coverd in troppings and feathers. A roosting tree always stands on a higher elevation, like a ridgtop on on top of a slope ect and are a bit isolated from other trees. Then go from there. In the morning turkeys mostly, where possible, travel down hill to find water and in the afternoon they begin to wander back up again toward the roosting tree.

Good luck on your bear hunt maybe you can combine it with a turkey hunt that would be great.

sealevel
03-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm heading up to Kelowna sometime mid May for a spring bear hunt with my boy -one of the spots we go to is the powerline north of Mable lake,is there any chance of finding turkeys on the grassy powerline right of way? Wild turkey haven`t really got that far north yet there are a few around enderby but they are tame bronze turkeys that have been turned loose.I think as far north as they have come is kelowna. Alltho they have come up the columbia valley as far as golden.

ratherbefishin
03-28-2006, 04:15 PM
so-where would I go to have a reasonable chance at a bear/turkeys hunt around Kelowna?

sealevel
03-28-2006, 05:25 PM
My friend who counts and traps turkeys told me they counted close to 400 at beaverdale south of kelowna . Or chistison valley the farther southeast you can go the better grandforks trail somewhere down there.

boxhitch
03-29-2006, 11:56 AM
My friend who counts and traps turkeys
Interesting hobby. What is the capture for ??

huntwriter
03-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Interesting hobby. What is the capture for ??

I guess he is in the National Wild Turkey Federation. They often capture wild turkeys to reloacate them to other places and start a new population. This has been proven to be more successful than rearing pults in human husbandry system and release them when they are old enough.

Being a active member of the NWTF can be very exiting and a lot fun.

sealevel
03-30-2006, 08:14 AM
The armstrong f&g club have tried releaseing turks .wild turkeys hatched in captivety out off over 500 released only 2 remain that they know of. But trapping and moving turkeys is with the wild turkey fed.

boxhitch
03-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Is the capture and translocation done in BC ? With the good graces of MOE ?

sealevel
03-30-2006, 02:04 PM
I don`t think its with the good grases of moe boxhitch cause they can`t relocate onto crown land. They have to relocate onto private land and then if the turkeys walk onto crown land after that well so be it.:cool:

huntwriter
03-30-2006, 06:44 PM
The reason the NWTF releases the turkeys onto private land is because it gives them some measure of control. The turkeys can be better safeguarded on private land from four and two legged coyotes and other predators than on public (crown) Land. Turkeys are territorial animals and stay on that private land until the poulation gets to big and some start to relocate and form new populations.

This has been proven to be very successful with wild turkery's. How successful?
Well, we have more turkeys than we have had ever before and on places, like Canada, where there never have been turkeys at any time in history. Next to the whitetail deer, the turkey is the biggest wildlife conservation success in history.

And I am glad for it too because I sure like to hunt this challanging birds. For me they rank right up there with the whitetail deer, there is nothing like it.:-D

sealevel
03-30-2006, 07:22 PM
hunter writer there mandate with the moe is no releaseing on public land.

huntwriter
03-30-2006, 09:36 PM
hunter writer there mandate with the moe is no releaseing on public land.

I did not know that sealevel, thanks for the information.
However, I do know that even where the NWTF has an agreement with the authorities they prefer private land for the above stated reasons.

boxhitch
04-03-2006, 08:20 AM
we have more turkeys than we have had ever before and on places, like Canada, where there never have been turkeys at any time in history. Next to the whitetail deer, the turkey is the biggest wildlife conservation success in history.
If these are an introduced species, how can you coin the phrase "conservation success" ?? Many people feel the introduction of any new species to a habitat, has a negative effect on resident species. Turkeys are NOT welcome in many areas of public or crown lands, therefore the NWTF can only release on private lands, in trying to further their cause.
I would be very surprised if the capture of "wild" birds is a sanctioned event, and not just a "poaching" party with a name on a flag.

bighornbob
04-03-2006, 10:19 AM
IN BC, Turkeys are actually classed as agriculture and not wildlife. That is why you have groups like the Turkey Federation able to catch them and relocate them. They are moving them like they were cattle. If turkeys were classed under wildlife there would be no moves without large studies and many permits. Look how tough it is to get some elk transplanted into the kelowna area. Tons of hoops need to be jumped through before it can happen.

BHB

huntwriter
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
IN BC, Turkeys are actually classed as agriculture and not wildlife.

BHB
Where did you get that information?

According the British Columbia Wildlife Act, Schedule A - section [am. B.C. Reg. 130/99, App. 1, s. 3.] the wild turky is listed as a Game Bird. A game bird is classified as a bird that is native to British Columbia or has been introduced to British Colubia from wild populations that has not been domestically raised.

It says absolutlely nothing about the turkey being classified as "Agricultural (Farm) Animal". At least I did not find anything on the internet after researching your posting for more than an hour. I phoned up the B.C. Wildlife Office the officer said to me; "As far I know it is a wild animal under the category Game Birds or Upland Birds." When I asked specifically. "Is the turkey classfied as a agricutural animal?" He answered. "No. Not when it is a wild turkey."

huntwriter
04-03-2006, 03:14 PM
If these are an introduced species, how can you coin the phrase "conservation success" ??
The very first tukeys crossed the border into British Columbia without help of humans. Once the NWTF saw how well they did here it was decided to help the population to grow by introducing more birds to strengthen the population that already existed here. All introduced birds come from wild populations that flurish well and need to be thined out. Helping animals to survice or strengthen their numers to become a healthy population that the habitat can carry well is called conservation. Rescue and animal or habitat from certain exstinction and bring it back to heathy numbers is also called consevation.

[qote]Many people feel the introduction of any new species to a habitat, has a negative effect on resident species.[/quote]

Acually it not "Many" people that oppose the intorduction of the tukey. It is a few and these few often worry about more their own interests and not so much about the animals or the environment. In America it was phesant hunters who worried that the turkey will compete with the phesant and thus diminishing the phesant hunters "enjoyment".

The turkey has no effect on the local game and bird species. The turkey does not compete with our native birds since his diet is quit different from other birds. The diet of a turkey mainly consists of grass, larva, worms and the od small snake. The NWTF, like so many other reputable organizations conducts a lot of studies before they bring in a new species or increase the numers of an existing one. They want to make sure that there is a healthy balance between the habitat and other wildlife. Not doing this would ultimately also be the downfall of that species. This is not conservation like 100 or so years ago where somebody had the idea to bring a truckload full of bull frogs to B.C. without any concern what it might do to other animals or the environment. Today conservation is a sience.

Turkeys are NOT welcome in many areas of public or crown lands, therefore the NWTF can only release on private lands, in trying to further their cause.

I have explained in other posts why turkeys are released on private land. Another reason for this is, as metioned by bighornbob, the unimaginable mountain of mostly completely usless red tape. It's a good thing that the NWTF furthers their case. In the early 1900's there where no more than 30'000 turkeys left in North America.

Like the bison and ducks, the turkey was slaughterd for meat without any regulations. It is thanks to the efforts of the NWTF and their 300'000 members, mostly hunters, spending money, time and effort that the turkey has rebounded to almost the numbers from before of 7 million birds.This is one of the very greatest conservation successes in the the history of wildlife conservation, closely followed by the success of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and Ducks Unlimited .

If it where down to the incompetent and lethargic government bureaucracy the turkey would be a thing of the past like the Dodo.

I would be very surprised if the capture of "wild" birds is a sanctioned event, and not just a "poaching" party with a name on a flag.
It is a sanctioned event, as you call it, otherwise the NWTF would be a criminal organization spending more times in courts and paying hefty fines than helping the turkey.

Personally I find the remark "poaching" a very thoughtless remark. Poaching is the illegal killing and/or removal of a wild animal. It's a crime! Puishable with fines and/or imprisonment. If it where down to the average hunter and the govenment hunting and the conservation of wildlife and habitat would not exists. In fact we would not be able to go hunting or fishing.
That we still have a strong heritage and plentyful game is due to the fine organizations such as the NWTF, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited and the Wild Sheep Society to name only a very few from a long list. It is their continued effort in lobbing the politicans and doing field research, educating people and working hard in the field that has assured the future of our heritage. With your thoughtless and utterly missplaced remark you may just have insulted hundreds of thousands fellow hunters who donate their time, effort and great deal of money to various organizations in an effort to make sure our future generation will be able to enjoy the same heritage we can enjoy today.

Foxer
04-03-2006, 03:22 PM
According the British Columbia Wildlife Act, Schedule A - section [am. B.C. Reg. 130/99, App. 1, s. 3.] the wild turky is listed as a Game Bird.

Surely that would only apply to wild birds... i can't imagine that domestic ones in private ownership would fall under anything other than chattel law.

huntwriter
04-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Surely that would only apply to wild birds... i can't imagine that domestic ones in private ownership would fall under anything other than chattel law.

No not domestic turkeys. You are right they are "cattle". But we where talking about wild turkeys, or at least that is how I understod bighornbob's post. As far as I know you are not permitted to set domestic life stock free. Unless they escape.;)

Stone Sheep Steve
04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Wild turkey's are currently the #1 complaint wildlife in the State of California. There, they move into neighbourhoods and roost above cars where their caustic poop eats the paint right off the vehicles. Can't do much about them in areas like that.
By introducing more wild birds they are just accelerating a migation that was bound to happen on it's own. Not very detrimental in my eyes unless they reach my neighbourhood.

SSS

huntwriter
04-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Wild turkey's are currently the #1 complaint wildlife in the State of California. There, they move into neighbourhoods and roost above cars where their caustic poop eats the paint right off the vehicles. Can't do much about them in areas like that.
By introducing more wild birds they are just accelerating a migation that was bound to happen on it's own. Not very detrimental in my eyes unless they reach my neighbourhood.

SSS

When do people not complain about something or other.;)

I just been saying to my wife today. When I was a lot younger people seem to get on with their lives and took things as they where. Today everybody complains about something. This is one reason I skip the "Opinion" Page in the Newspapers, it's nothing but whining.

Besides you refer to suburban areas, where the people lobbied hard to ban hunting. Now they have to put up with to many turkeys, serves them right. I hope the car painters are smiling.;)

Foxer
04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Wild turkey's are currently the #1 complaint wildlife in the State of California. There, they move into neighbourhoods and roost above cars where their caustic poop eats the paint right off the vehicles.

GOOD!

Nothing shuts the anti's up about the "cruel sport of hunting" faster than getting their cars pooped on and their garden's eaten :)

huntwriter
04-03-2006, 06:12 PM
GOOD!

Nothing shuts the anti's up about the "cruel sport of hunting" faster than getting their cars pooped on and their garden's eaten :)

Well said.:lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
04-03-2006, 06:53 PM
When do people not complain about something or other.;)

I just been saying to my wife today. When I was a lot younger people seem to get on with their lives and took things as they where. Today everybody complains about something. This is one reason I skip the "Opinion" Page in the Newspapers, it's nothing but whining.

Besides you refer to suburban areas, where the people lobbied hard to ban hunting. Now they have to put up with to many turkeys, serves them right. I hope the car painters are smiling.;)

I agree. As hunters, our ultimate dream would have G-bears released into Stanley Park:cool: (especially the problem bears;) ). You asked for it, you got it!!!

SSS

Fred
04-03-2006, 10:46 PM
And Griz in Stanly Park would be a bad thing? Think of the reduction in numbers of the granola crunchers! ;) :biggrin: Fred

boxhitch
04-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Today everybody complains about something. This is one reason I skip the "Opinion" Page in the Newspapers, it's nothing but whining.

The opinions of other people is always a good read. With an open mind, that 'whining' may very well reveal a better truth.

If the general sentiment of a region is that 'wild' turkeys are not welcome, how is it that the NWTF can still go ahead with releases, with clear conscious, albeit on private (wink) land.
The 'wild' population that was released in the Armstrong area has declined to near non-existant levels. Because of good science ? I would tend to think the reason is that they make good table fair, and there is no bag- limit on vermin.

huntwriter
04-04-2006, 02:34 PM
If the general sentiment of a region is that 'wild' turkeys are not welcome, how is it that the NWTF can still go ahead with releases, with clear conscious, albeit on private (wink) land.
The 'wild' population that was released in the Armstrong area has declined to near non-existant levels. Because of good science ? I would tend to think the reason is that they make good table fair, and there is no bag- limit on vermin.
Are you saying with that statement what I think you are saying?

A. The turkey population is declining in the Armstrong area.
B. They decline because in that area people regard them as vermin and thus go after them even out of season any time, any where?

If that is so and you are finding this acceptable then I do not wish to communicate with you any further on this and any other matter. Because if what I suspect, from this statement, is the case then you are not a hunter or conservationist.
I sincerely hope I missunderstood that statement.

mtnmax
04-04-2006, 06:07 PM
We saw turkey today!!!
I had the day off so I put 2 out of 3 of my girls in the truck and off we went to find out if we could get into the range up Beaverlake rd. Could not get in,too much snow on the little road in the trees. So back down the mountain we came when all of a sudden ,,,,,holy turkeys ,,,,2 of the little suckers crossed right in front of the truck! They seemed pretty tame. I stopped on the side of the road and I bet I was no more than 30 yrds from them. They did not care. The land they were on is posted PRIVATE. The girls ( 3yrs old & 4 yrs old ) were so excited to see the turkey. Up till then they were dissapointed in not seeing tiger or winnie the poo. I have herd there are turkey in Winfield but have never seen any. Great day all around.

cowboy-up69
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
We saw turkey today!!!
I had the day off so I put 2 out of 3 of my girls in the truck and off we went to find out if we could get into the range up Beaverlake rd. Could not get in,too much snow on the little road in the trees. So back down the mountain we came when all of a sudden ,,,,,holy turkeys ,,,,2 of the little suckers crossed right in front of the truck! They seemed pretty tame. I stopped on the side of the road and I bet I was no more than 30 yrds from them. They did not care. The land they were on is posted PRIVATE. The girls ( 3yrs old & 4 yrs old ) were so excited to see the turkey. Up till then they were dissapointed in not seeing tiger or winnie the poo. I have herd there are turkey in Winfield but have never seen any. Great day all around.

Thats a good thing! Im looking forward to goin on a turkey hunt with Kishman in a couple weeks!!!

huntwriter
04-04-2006, 09:23 PM
We saw turkey today!!!
Good on you to take the kids out.

The turkey hunters who can go hunting this year are very lucky. The turkeys has not yet associatd hunters with predators. But after this spring season that will change drastically. Netx fall and spring the birds will exactly know what a human with a shotgun looks like and how far they have to keep away from it.;-)

Turkeys learn very fast. It's said, by people who should know, that the turkey is one of the smartest animals in North America. That's why I like to hunt them.

mtnmax
04-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I agree that they are smart. When I was 14 in Ont I took a hunting course just for turkey. Unreal how smart they are. They said for every bird you see, about 10 have seen you and left. Maybe this fall I will try for a bird, if not next spring for sure.

huntwriter
04-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I agree that they are smart. When I was 14 in Ont I took a hunting course just for turkey. Unreal how smart they are. They said for every bird you see, about 10 have seen you and left. Maybe this fall I will try for a bird, if not next spring for sure.
Turkeys have no sense of smell and a very bad sense of taste. So they do everything with their sense of vision. Their eyes are second to those of the eagle only. They can detect the slightest movement.

When I hunted in Illinois and a deer spooked it was always because of a turkey that has seen my movement and alarmed the deer to my presence. From experience I know that a turkey actually can see your eye move from about 50 to 60 yards away. Since I wear a full face mask I have less birds hang up just outside the shooting range.

If a tom comes to calling then he is looking for a receptieve hen and the closer he comes the more he expects to see something moving and he is looking over every inch on all around him. If what he does not see hen but something else then he is gone faster then you can say "dam it".

It's not an easy life to be sourounded by so many other creatures on land and in the sky that want to eat you.

troutseeker
04-05-2006, 08:55 PM
I too agree Turkeys are very smart! I get called Turkey all the time and I don't have pretty feathers, so you know why they call me that!!!

Troutseeker

huntwriter
04-05-2006, 10:58 PM
I too agree Turkeys are very smart! I get called Turkey all the time and I don't have pretty feathers, so you know why they call me that!!!

Troutseeker

:mrgreen::mrgreen: You crack me up laughing.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

boxhitch
04-06-2006, 08:46 PM
A. The turkey population is declining in the Armstrong area.
B. They decline because in that area people regard them as vermin and thus go after them even out of season any time, any where?

If that is so and you are finding this acceptable then I do not wish to communicate with you any further on this and any other matter. Because if what I suspect, from this statement, is the case then you are not a hunter or conservationist.
I sincerely hope I missunderstood that statement.

A. I have been told by locals that this is the case. Other opinions may vary.
B. If the 'wild' turkeys were of a 'feral' nature, simply someones private stock that got loose, then they can be treated as vermin when on someone elses property. I believe there is no historic accounting of true 'wild' turkeys in this area.

I realize that you are a true 'wild turkey' fanatic, and I am sorry that you are so 'thin skinned' when it comes to someones ideals that may be contrary. Your interpretation of my statement appears to be 'out there'.
To clarify my position - I do not agree with the translocation of any wildlife species, to an area that does not have a historic record of holding the species, especially where the science does not prove without a doubt that there will be no negative impacts. A true 'hunter' will always put habitat conservation first and foremost, over 'opportunity gain'. The premise that these releases of wild turkeys are on private land, with the full knowledge that the birds know no man-made boundarys, shows a disregard for what may be valid arguements against such an action. My personal opinion is that when these private stocks become feral, they may not be governed by the 'wildlife' regulations.

huntwriter
04-06-2006, 10:05 PM
I am not a "fanatic" about anything, but yes the turkey is, right next to the whitetail deer, my favourite species to hunt.

I am not "thin-skinned" either and always give people the benefit of the doubt. I make no apologies about my opinions or what I believe to be true. Neither do I exspect others to apologize for what they believe in or what their opinion is. By and large I respect other peoples opinions for what they are. Opinions! I can live very well with that.

It is of course your right to disagree with what the NWTF does or anybody else for that mater. You are also entitled to your concerns, may they be right or wrong. But the NWTF does not release turkeys against the will of the government. There are specific laws here in B.C. about releasing wild animals, or domestic ones, in the wild. If the NWTF would do this without the sanction of the government it would engage in a criminal act, but they don't and can't afford to do so either.

It seems to me, that you confuse two things here. The turkeys the NWTF releases are not "feral" they are wild captured birds. Just because these birds are released on private land and then wander off on to crown land does not make them "feral". To be a feral animal it has to be a domestic animal first, born and raised in captivity. That is not the case with the turkey.

The turkey is listed in the Wildlife Act as a "Game bird" not "Vermin" or "feral".
The hunting regulations provide specific hunting seasons in which a limited number of turkeys can be taken. In this regard it really does not matter at all what your personal opinion is about animals leaving private land and then mirculously become "feral" and legal for you to hunt. Bcause they ARE GOVERND by the hunting regulations. Go ahead and read the hunting synopsis, don't take my word for it.

bckev
04-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I have been practicing my turkey calling, watched a show on turkey hunting yesterday and will be out scouting at the end of the week, so I hope to have my first wild turkey in the freezer sometime this century (don't want to be too arrogant)

huntwriter
04-10-2006, 09:56 AM
I wish you the best of luck bckev.

Be careful though with the calling. In hunting shows/videos they tend to call nonstop. That is not real life, it's how the video is edited. So please do not call as much as you see it on TV. A short sequence of 5 to 8 minutes and then pause for about 20 and listen. Again good luck and hopefully you come back with success story to tell. :D

GoatGuy
04-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Boxhitch is right, the biologists do not want Turkeys in region 8. There's a difference between animals coming in on their own and being transplanted. They are non-natives. Course there weren't many WT's here 30 years ago BUT they came here on their own.

The turkey fed isn't doing anything illegal but the birds aren't wanted.

There isn't a whole lot of science behind it and opinions (on both sides) are somewhat anectdotal. I suppose on a macro scale we should have learned that historically speaking introducing animals/fish screws things up, but we'll find out in 20 years.

My want is more sellfish. I think they create a fantastic opportunity for new hunters, particularly in the spring. Aside from that, whatever! Have fun and get out there and pound 'em.

Walksalot
04-11-2006, 06:06 AM
The skuttlebut in the Okanagan is the turkey farmers have raised a stink about the possibility of the wild bird spreading disease to the domestic stock so thus the any bird season in the Okanagan. In the Boundary Country it is for bearded birds only so this tells me they want them as a huntable resource.
From what I have seen, in the area I hunt, there were just a few birds a few years ago but now there are scads, I counted about forty in one flock. That tells me they breed like rats. I look foreward to hunting the little buggers and understand they are an interesting bird to try and bag.

ratherbefishin
04-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Being a public spirited sort,I'd be more than happy to help solve the problem by ''ridding '' the country of a turkey or two-just tell me where I find these undesireable birds....I'll be heading up to Kelowna in the next few weeks to go on a bear hunt with my boy-and would love to have chance of a bagging a turkey as well as a bear[and a lot easier to get out of the bush, too,which possably explains the resurgance of interest in turkey hunting to us middle aged hunters]

GoatGuy
04-11-2006, 07:41 AM
I think the any turkey is only for the fall and a couple areas at that.

Part of the reason the bios don't want 'em is because they're considered pests in "agricultural" areas. They're worried they'll get in to the vineyards and make a mess.

There are turkeys on the east side of Winfield and Kelowna; I've also seen them near chute lake.

I think the Christian Valley and over to Christina Lake probably has the highest densities of birds in region 8. The Christian Valley's a good bet if you're coming this way especially if you can get permission on private property.

bckev
04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
What I heard is that the turkeys in the south okanagan moved in from washington during the fire season a couple of years ago. The farmers are concerned about the damage they can do and enviroment people are worried because turkeys are hard on rattle snakes (which are protected around here). The season in the spring is just a bearded male, but it was an open season in the fall. There is also a limit of two a year, so I am assuming that they are trying to maintain some kind of a population.

huntwriter
04-12-2006, 04:35 PM
What I heard is that the turkeys in the south okanagan moved in from washington during the fire season a couple of years ago. The farmers are concerned about the damage they can do and enviroment people are worried because turkeys are hard on rattle snakes (which are protected around here). The season in the spring is just a bearded male, but it was an open season in the fall. There is also a limit of two a year, so I am assuming that they are trying to maintain some kind of a population.

When do farmers and environmentalists not complain about somethin or other.

The turkeys are here to stay and to become yet another welcome hunting opportunity. Nowhere the turkey has been a "hazard" to farmers or environment. In this regard I personally ignore the ones that are looking for problems where there aren't any.

boxhitch
04-13-2006, 09:32 PM
- The wild turkey has been proven to cause agricultural damage in some areas. In California, it ranks in second spot (tied with raccoons) at causing damage. Deer are #1 of course.
- The turkey competes with the sharp-tail grouse for habitat.
- It is not known what is in the diet of turkeys, in the Okanagan, as some of its normal choices are not here in abundance.
- The Okanagan is home to many species that are already 'listed', and the effect of another introduced species may have some negative conotations.
- The hunting season in the Kootenays was initiated because of the complaints from landowners about the amount of damage the birds were causing.
- The bag limit in Reg. 8 was set, 'to match the level that existed in other areas'. No other reason has been given. It may be increased, if lobbying continues.

huntwriter
04-13-2006, 09:58 PM
- The wild turkey has been proven to cause agricultural damage in some areas. In California, it ranks in second spot (tied with raccoons) at causing damage. Deer are #1 of course.
- The turkey competes with the sharp-tail grouse for habitat.
- It is not known what is in the diet of turkeys, in the Okanagan, as some of its normal choices are not here in abundance.
- The Okanagan is home to many species that are already 'listed', and the effect of another introduced species may have some negative conotations.
- The hunting season in the Kootenays was initiated because of the complaints from landowners about the amount of damage the birds were causing.
- The bag limit in Reg. 8 was set, 'to match the level that existed in other areas'. No other reason has been given. It may be increased, if lobbying continues.
Do me a favour when you list problem animals and their ranking use statistics that are from areas where they are properly managed trough a hunter programm and not form California suburbs where hunting has been completely outlawed.

The hunting season in the Kootneays has been initiated because the turkey population now can sustain a hunting season. It's called wildlife management. by the way most turkeys in that area came by themselves over the border without any help from people. I guess we should have sent them right back where they came from, darn illegal aliens.
I am glad you underline may as in "...may have some negative conotations."

You know many times I get the feeling that some hunters are just complaining for the sake of it. Perhaps they are just of a pesimistic nature and see bad things where ever they turn. We have had the same in America with the wild turkeys and the pesimists just never could prove any of their fears and unfounded worries. Funny thing is today everybody is happy about the turkey and goes out hunting them rather than complaining about it.

Foxer
04-13-2006, 10:56 PM
It is not known what is in the diet of turkeys, in the Okanagan, as some of its normal choices are not here in abundance.

I hope it's dope.

That'd be the last we'd hear from the anti's about stopping hunters for a while.

huntwriter
04-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I hope it's dope.

That'd be the last we'd hear from the anti's about stopping hunters for a while.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That had me wondering too.

Here is what turkeys feed on.

Wild turkeys are omnivores, eating a variety of plant and animal matter wherever and whenever available. Poults eat large quantities of insects and other animal matter to get needed protein for development. As turkeys age, plant matter becomes the primary food source. About 90 percent of the mature turkey’s diet comes from plants, including green foliage of grasses, vines, forbs, acorns, buds, seeds, various fruits and waste grain from agricultural crops.In the south of the United States turkeys are known to kill and eat the odd rattlesnake and lizards. The bulk of a turkeys diet is grass, I am sure there is plenty of that in the Okanagan.

If in doupt go out and hunt one and then open his crop that will tell you right away what they are feeding on.

Turkeys are like chickens, ground feeders what falls on the ground is theirs. They do not go on to agricultural crop fields and pluck corn or grain from the steam unlike starrlings, sparrows and pigeons which are more of a crop "hazard" to farmers than the turkey ever will be.

Some folks seem just to look for problems where there aren't any. What's next? Is the turkey to blame for the chicken flu, or some other nasty invasive disease, perhaps the plague?

boxhitch
04-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Do me a favour when you list problem animals and their ranking use statistics that are from areas where they are properly managed trough a hunter programm and not form California suburbs where hunting has been completely outlawed
The info was given, stating a condition known in the state of Cal. Who am I to try and disect ? The fact stands.

plant matter becomes the primary food source. About 90 percent of the mature turkey’s diet comes from plants, including green foliage of grasses, vines, forbs, acorns, buds, seeds, various fruits and waste grain from agricultural crops.

Definitely, no competition with native species here. (rolling eyes)

The hunting season in the Kootneays has been initiated because the turkey population now can sustain a hunting season

Which came first, the problem or the management ??

huntwriter
04-14-2006, 01:36 PM
As hard as I try and keep tying I can find no reliable informaton that they turkey has become a problem anywhere in British Columbia. What I read are concerns what might could happen in the futrue. We will see what happens and most likely it will not have the adverse affects the doomsday preachers forecast.

Personally I find it rather sad that some people have to jump on bandwagons everytime a new issue comes up and predict problems that do not exists.

Before I get insulted again let me say that your and others concerns are duly noted and respected. However, such concerns just have never been encountered anywhere where turkeys have been released or where they moved to by themselves.

As for California. Most of the turkey population there lives in suburban areas so do the deer. Now if you outlaw hunting (wildlife control) in all suburban areas then, yes this will give you a totaly wrong number of game damage. It also will increase the animal populations to numbers that cannot be sustained by the environment.

If you look at states where suburban hunting (wildlife control) is permitted then you will find that there a no such complaints. In other words it is a bit like around here where I live. What used to be rural hobby farm land is now developed with 1000's of houses and people complain about the coyotes, squirrels and crows, but hunting them is not permitted.

As for the turkey competing with other animals for food. Turkeys do not eat as much as a Holstein, and there is plenty grass to go around for everybody, don't you think. As for crop damage, tukeys do not pluck crops they eat what falls on the ground or is left over from the harvest laying on the ground. In all my years of turkey hunting and observation I have never seen turkeys enter crop fields and eat the plants itself unlike deer. Concerned people can think about turkeys as they like but they would do the NWTF great injustice if they asume that no research is done before commiting to release turkeys. The NWTF is first and foremost a conservation organization concerned with preserving the turkey. It would make little sense then to release these animals in areas where they would become a environmetal hazard and with that damage their own existence.

boxhitch
04-16-2006, 09:41 AM
As hard as I try and keep tying I can find no reliable informaton that they turkey has become a problem anywhere in British Columbia.
Your view of 'reliable' may differ from others. The reg. 4 season was iniciated to address concerns of private property owners, who may have had the support of local sportsman, for different reasons, I'm sure.

Personally I find it rather sad that some people have to jump on bandwagons everytime a new issue comes up and predict problems that do not exists.

C-68 comes to mind. Not enough noise from the gunowners bandwagon.

As for California. Most of the turkey population there lives in suburban areas so do the deer.

If by the term 'suburban' you mean picket fences, golf courses and mini-vans, I doubt wildlife is really an issue. Except maybe 'kitty-eating coyotes'.
If you mean 'valley-bottom, developed agricultural land', which happens to be where, I'd guess, 100 % of ag land is in the South-Interior BC, then hunting should be allowed as a control, as it is here.

The NWTF is first and foremost a conservation organization concerned with preserving the turkey
This is probably very true. I believe that an underlieing, secondary purpose is to make introductions, where ever they can, to increase hunter oppurtunity, possibly without regard for all issues. IF proper science is done before hand, that is a good thing. 'Public consultation' is not one of the tools used.

Noob
04-11-2018, 07:14 PM
On a lighter note, I found this link about turkey calling:

https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/wild-turkey-basics/turkey-sounds

Also who is going (say aye), when and where from? :smile:
(https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/wild-turkey-basics/turkey-sounds)

blaker_99
04-11-2018, 07:53 PM
All the way back to 2006 well done!

ill be out cluckin away.

Andy83
04-11-2018, 08:11 PM
I've been practicing my calling. I will be out for sure!

blackbart
04-11-2018, 09:52 PM
BCKev - please post some more for us, even angry Steve came back lately. You can come back and share some shed stories. BB

boxhitch
04-12-2018, 09:12 AM
I've been practicing my calling. I will be out for sure!Me too. even have a couple of decoys