PDA

View Full Version : Boar (pig) spotted in Region 8

Buckmeister
04-25-2010, 10:40 PM
The other day my wife saw 3 boars on the side of the road while driving up to a friends farm. This was in the Enderby area. Our friends stated that they had just seen them for the 1st time the day before. Our guess is that they escaped from a local farm nearby that raises organic boars. She said that they wern't very big, about a foot tall by about 2' long nose to tail, and that they were being very aggresive with each other, snorting and grunting at each other. Hopefully these loose hogs don't turn into a problem and create a feral hog population.

Benelli FanBoy
04-25-2010, 10:42 PM
...Hopefully these loose hogs don't turn into a problem and create a feral hog population.

If they do multiply, we might be able to get a GOS on them :mrgreen:

boxhitch
04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Apparently it doesn't take long for them revert back to true wild pigs, color change and tusks.
They sound like good roaster size now, where abouts are they ??:wink:

cainer
04-26-2010, 12:09 AM
I love the smell of bacon in the morning

Billyisgr8
04-26-2010, 08:42 AM
We have some wild pigs in Sicamous too. There was 5 we saw last summer in a group on owlshead mountain.

Buckmeister
04-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I've read some posts on this site about wild boars, and by the sounds of it, one doesn't really want to have them running around. Apparently they become quite the pest and an invasive species. The only good thing is they make for some good hunting and eats.

Lillypuff
04-26-2010, 02:12 PM
They are horrible things if you call the game warden he will come out and shoot them. Or maybe even tell you to shoot them

papaken
04-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't see boars listed anywhere in the regs. I would take it that you would have to get written authorization to shoot them in the wild. Maybe they can be added to the Schedule C list???

Lillypuff
04-26-2010, 02:47 PM
dont know about here in b.c. but in alberta there would be a big fine for the farmer. Good friend was a co there and she told a farmer who wanted to let pigs roam on his property fenced of course, and she told him flat out if any ever got away she would make his life miserable. They are awful things. We shot 1 once and she was pretty happy with us. There is now a bounty for them in Northern Alberta

boxhitch
04-26-2010, 03:35 PM
They aren't wildlife, so won't appear in Sched C.

mark
04-26-2010, 09:27 PM
If they do multiply, we might be able to get a GOS on them :mrgreen:

They are horrible things if you call the game warden he will come out and shoot them. Or maybe even tell you to shoot them

I don't see boars listed anywhere in the regs. I would take it that you would have to get written authorization to shoot them in the wild. Maybe they can be added to the Schedule C list???

There has rumored to be some around kelowna also, I asked a CO about this once.....he openly told me, shoot them at will!

RBH
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
They aren't wildlife, so won't appear in Sched C.

What is it that makes one animal 'wildlife' and another not? Obviously they are not native, but if the are feral and no longer domesticated, how are they different than fallow deer, for instance, that live in a wild state in parts of BC? Just curious how the regs differentiate.

Gunner
04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Fallow deer are confined to Sidney Island.If you see a pig shoot the damn thing. Gunner

Benelli FanBoy
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
...If you see a pig shoot the damn thing. Gunner

Im liking the attitude with that comment! :twisted:

boxhitch
04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Should feel the same about turkeys. They aren't native either.

Buckmeister
04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I sent a CO in Vernon an email about the boars. He replied and stated that he was aware of the boars. He said that 9 boars escaped from a slaughter facility in the area. He also gave me a name and a phone # for a person who is responsible for rounding up the boars.

whitespringer
04-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Wouldn't think twice, Bacon, Yum!:wink: