PDA

View Full Version : bison...

fumder
04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
has anyone here gotten lucky enough to get a bison draw?
where can a guy get any leads on a herd?

moosinaround
04-25-2010, 09:43 PM
has anyone here gotten lucky enough to get a bison draw?
where can a guy get any leads on a herd?
Yellowstone National Park???

Maybe even see Yogi and BooBoo??!!

Watch your pic-anic basket!!:wink:

Kiddin, get a hold of the Misirty of Environment in Ft St John. They can fill you in on odds, and where there are herds. Also check out the Ministry website.

Also do a search on this site using "Bison" or "LEH Bison"

Moosinaround

treeclimber
04-25-2010, 09:47 PM
My dad got a draw 2 years ago, and we found the herd in the bush :)

Lillypuff
04-25-2010, 09:56 PM
they might be a little more friendly if the draw has been done and u have a tag

cwocarsten
04-25-2010, 09:59 PM
The odds suck! Had 2 buddies whom applied for the first time and both got one. Bast**ds. Oh well someone has to get one.

04-26-2010, 07:51 AM
I got the draw last season, 1st in 15 years of trying.

Downed my 1st Bison, great eats, CCCCOOLLLLDDDD cold season, snow machines a must if you have a later draw. This is a hunt that needs to be well planned, so do your home work. Your odds on success will be greater if you get more snow. Over all, it is not a cheap hunt either, accommodations, access fees, travel, rental of machines, best go with at least 1 or 2 guys on a draw. They can be huge and to hard to deal with on your own.

Pink Mountain area, cool experience.

CT

Bighorn hunter
04-26-2010, 08:07 AM
If you get drawn you will be over run with poachers and wolf hunters,,,,at least thats what Jim Shockey said about his hunt last year:roll:

04-26-2010, 08:33 AM
We were there when Shockey was there, it appears he was very jealous, for one thing he hunted the same area as the regular residents, he was guided, you would think the guide or he himself would have done more home work and been able to find one of those big bulls in some basin or mountain top away from the crowds. As far as wolf hunters and poachers, we never say any wolves taken nor did we see any Bison poached.
If a guy hunts hard, keeps trying and is willing to do what it takes, them TaTonka are there.
The later the better your odds.

CT

trigger
04-26-2010, 02:05 PM
neat experience.
look in your leh synopsis. it will show you the odds. when and if you get the draw it will come with info as to where and a list of accomodation.
also theres alot of info on here if you search bison , tatonka, buffalo

heres mine from last year

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/buffalo/IMG_1650.jpg

4 point
04-26-2010, 03:38 PM
I love some of these posts of "where can I." Makes me chuckel a bit. In person I get tired of where are the deer, moose or fish around here. I always say the same thing, in the bush, in the lake now go fly at it.

moosinaround
04-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I love some of these posts of "where can I." Makes me chuckel a bit. In person I get tired of where are the deer, moose or fish around here. I always say the same thing, in the bush, in the lake now go fly at it.
I always try to throw a person some info. Man it is a big ole province out there. Some day I may want to ask for some info, and I am hopeing it will be payed back as I payed it forward!! Karma pays back eventually good and bad, if it is only to feel good that you helped a fellow hunting brother or sister!! Moosin

Twobucks
04-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Amen Moosin. The "I ain't helpin no one" attitude makes ME "chuckel".

ufishifish2
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
That's the spirit Moosin'
It's so easy to be negative, but the opposite is good for all involved!
Good attitude.

The Dawg
04-26-2010, 11:59 PM
I always try to throw a person some info. Man it is a big ole province out there. Some day I may want to ask for some info, and I am hopeing it will be payed back as I payed it forward!! Karma pays back eventually good and bad, if it is only to feel good that you helped a fellow hunting brother or sister!! Moosin

When I first moved to PG, Moosin was kind enough to take me out and show me some nice areas that he knew. We have become great friends because of it, and I ended up showing him some great areas of mine too.

I have shot a bear in his, he's shot moose in mine. Many more adventures to come :D

fumder
04-27-2010, 01:03 AM
i don't mind doing the leg work and scouting in person, but fact of the matter is, anywhere that is open for bison, is a LONG way away, there is no way to really see it first hand before the actual hunt.. if it were deer, moose, elk etc, that's a different story, there is a chance some of us may get an LEH for one of those species more then once in a lifetime, and spoiling a draw isn't that big of an upset. spoiling bison, sheep/goat draws.... i'd lose some sleep over it.

thanks for the info, and places to look none the less

good luck on the draws

Kudu
04-27-2010, 12:53 PM
There are a lot of people that simply do not know what the crack is when it comes to hunting and fishing in BC - be it that they come from another province, city or country.

When I first arrived in BC from overseas, I naturally started looking for information, to tell the truth - Hunting BC was possibly one of the worst resources I came across. I could have sworn that it was a state secret, punishable by severe dismemberment - to help another hunter or fisherman find his feet.

The are very limited folk on here that will try and help a foreigner or newbie. Despite all of that - many, if not most, will go ahead and pick up a rifle or rod and find the query they seek anyway.

Hunting and fishing - contrary to popular belief, does not vary that much world wide. If a person hunted or fished successfully in the Antipodes, Africa, Asia or Europe - hunting out here would come quite naturally, the only thing the new hunter has to do is understand the local regs and laws.

tomahawk
04-27-2010, 01:09 PM
I've been in on 4 Bison draws in 12 years of applying, 3 were mine and 1 my buddies.

The herds are near the highway and lower valleys until the hunters start chasing them back into the mountains amd remote area's come fall. 12 yrs ago just after LEH started for Bison, they were all over the place. But now they get smart early and book it for the hills when the pressure is on. Area A has the bulk of the herds now and you will see many more bison in A then in B. A is where Shockey had his draw but he couldn't handle being around other resident hunters so he tried to save face and cry poachers instead of manning up and walking away. This year in B most hunters went home without seeing a single bison for there efforts, its changed dramatically over the years and the herds have moved.

shawnwells
07-08-2010, 02:15 AM
Well its the 2010 season now and im happy to say i got a bison draw and....as gravy my sister and law did too...its gonna be a great family and friend adventure....but it has taken me 5 or 6 years to be in these leh holding shoes !!:-D

bridger
07-08-2010, 05:19 AM
the bison are basically found in two main river valleys. The Halfway (zone a) and the sikanni (zone b). the bison travel back and forth between the two valley's and sometimes you will see lots of them in one zone or the other. One reason there seems to be more bison in zone a is that the halfway valley is basically sub alpine and the bison are easier to spot due to the openess of the valey. the sikanni on the other hand is more timbered and the bison hole up in thick timber when the shooting starts. zone a is always my first choice when i apply and some day I might even draw a tag who knows.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-08-2010, 05:48 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0306.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19366&ppuser=14071)
look up and you will see bison!

ianwuzhere
07-08-2010, 06:01 PM
i was lucky enough to get an early oct draw for region B this year.
cant wait!
i think some scouting will be in order before the season starts!!!

Caveman
07-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Any one going to ask the $100 dollar question?

Fumder, did you get a Bison draw?

ianwuzhere
07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
oya, im still waiting for the package from victoria with maps/info etc, do i have to mail a cheque to get a bison tag?? says in leh synopsis licenses are only available by mail?

moose2
07-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I have taken bison in both areas. Both on the 27 of Dec five years apart. Each hunt both offered many challenges. Zone A was about -45 with a 50 km wind blowing on top of that. Four of us went up but due to the weather 2 guys stayed with the trucks and kept them running. My partner and I went in on sleds and I took a large bull on its own in a low meadow. Gutting a large bison that lays on its legs when it dies is not a one man job. We had to roll it using the sled. We had two chain saws with us neither would run, had to half the bison with a hand saw. We started back to truck near dark and were having problems with one sled loosing power. Thankfully two other hunters were heading out with there bull and offered to pull one of our skimmers for us.

Zone B we booked into stay at the outfitters (room and meals) in my opinion this is well worth the money. Really good experience with that. We spoke to some hunters at the gated parking lot when we were heading in. They had been unsuccessful and said they didn't see much. So on the way in I saw about 12 black spots on an alpine ridge after stopping and glassing we had spotted about 20 bison in the alpine about a 2 hour walk from the sleds. I said to my partners how bad do you you guys want to work for one. The one guy said that is why we are here , so off I went. I reached the herd by late afternoon and was able to take a large cow. I skinned the hide back enough to expose most of the meat , and had to leave the carcase for the night. I got back to my partners at dark and we headed to the lodge with head lights. The next day after a great breakfast , we headed up the hill again with a couple tarps. We were able to drag and slide the halves down the snowy mountain right to the machines. We spent one more night at the lodge and packed up and headed out the next morning. This is not a hunt to be taken lightly it can throw alot of curves at you. A good game plan and reliable equipment is a must. If you are more interested in the meat the cow was ten times better to eat than the bull was. We used most of the bull for sausage and it was a nice head mount that came back so both hunts were great. Good luck to all that have drawn for bison in 2010
Mike

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/bison_1996.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17867&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=13763)

Darksith
07-09-2010, 12:01 PM
the thing that gets me is, what if the internet wasn't around, would these peeps that are putting in for draws that barely know where the draw is for still be doin it?

Mik
07-09-2010, 07:22 PM
the thing that gets me is, what if the internet wasn't around, would these peeps that are putting in for draws that barely know where the draw is for still be doin it?

Absolutely they would!! It's a hunt of a lifetime, people just have to learn to give up info!!!!! And there's other places to get info, but then again, this is a hunting website......so let's have it!!!!

ufishifish2
07-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Can't wait, can't wait!
My hunting partner drew "A" for the first two weeks in January. Damn will it be cold though. My camper has the "Arctic Package." Sure hope it is warm enough.

Buck
07-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Can't wait, can't wait!
My hunting partner drew "A" for the first two weeks in January. Damn will it be cold though. My camper has the "Arctic Package." Sure hope it is warm enough.

Wow you may be taking a chance there.Minus 40 with a windchill what is your Arctic package rated for?

Mik
07-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Can't wait, can't wait!
We'll see you up there, same time, same area......im hoping to win that wall tent that "Deluxe Wall Tent" has offered up.....Thanks in advance Perry:-D

ishootbambi
07-11-2010, 12:12 AM
the highway from ft nelsom to ft liard is covered with them....at least in spring. i have pics in my phone of a mammoth bull on the highway that wouldnt move. i had to wait 20 minutes to get by the stubborn bugger. in a half ton i could have gone around, but my tractor trailer wideload meant waiting.