PDA

View Full Version : Nelson "hunters and environmentalists"

snowhunter
04-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I just listen to CBC radio, sunday morning, that "Nelson area hunters and local environmentalist" wants to reduce hunting of deer around Nelson and rest of British Columbia, to the same level of Washington State, which they claim only have 9 days of mule deer hunting yearly, against our 51 days, which are now proposed to be increased to 61 days, against the wishes of "hunters and environmentalist" of Nelson, British Columbia.

"Hunters and environmentalist" of Nelson claim that there is a danger of hunters destroying the whole deer population of British Columbia, if the B.C. hunting seaseon is not reduced to the level of Washington State, which are about a quarter the size of British Columbia and have a larger population than of British columbia.

kgs
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but increasing the length of the hunts and creating an open season for mule deer and elk is because there has been an increase in the animal population.

BCrams
04-25-2010, 09:26 AM
I just listen to CBC radio, sunday morning, that "Nelson area hunters and local environmentalist" wants to reduce hunting of deer around Nelson and rest of British Columbia, to the same level of Washington State, which they claim only have 9 days of mule deer hunting yearly, against our 51 days, which are now proposed to be increased to 61 days, against the wishes of "hunters and environmentalist" of Nelson, British Columbia.

"Hunters and environmentalist" of Nelson claim that there is a danger of hunters destroying the whole deer population of British Columbia, if the B.C. hunting seaseon is not reduced to the level of Washington State, which are about a quarter the size of British Columbia and have a larger population than of British columbia.

Thats the most uneducated drivel I have heard in a long time. If "hunters" indeed in that area have that mentality, there is something seriously wrong here.

mark
04-25-2010, 09:26 AM
"Hunters and environmentalists" ???? Brambles must be president! LOL :wink:

They smoke too much laughing lettuce in that town!

mark
04-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Thats the most uneducated drivel I have heard in a long time. If "hunters" indeed in that area have that mentality, there is something seriously wrong here.

Like I said....They smoke too much laughing lettuce in that town!

mcrae
04-25-2010, 09:30 AM

They don't. There is a small vocal minority that seem to be pushing an "anti-hunting" agenda. They claim to be hunters but a hunter would not push for a decrease in opportunity when there is no conservation concern.

The Nelson Rod and Gun club supported many of the recent proposals in the area

Lucky77_
04-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Who are They? the H&E

mcrae
04-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Like I said....They smoke too much laughing lettuce in that town!

You know believe it or not this is one of the reason why some "locals" push so hard to reduce access to the area for anything...

There is a huge cash crop growing around here in the bush and they don't want people stumbling around "their" grow ops in Sept.

My wife works at a farmers supply store and she spends all day selling fertilizer, and 100's of feet of plastic house to skids,hippies, and deadbeats right now.

You should see some of the messes we have cleaned up after these "environmentalists" are done.

huntwriter
04-25-2010, 10:08 AM

That to me sounds very much like animal rights. They often masquerade as "concerned hunters" and "environmentalist" even as "biologists" to add weight to their claims. BC has a huge deer population and that is the reason why the hunting season is made longer in some areas.

GoatGuy
04-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Anyone have any names of these individuals?

scope-bite
04-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Certainly not the view of hunters I've talked with in the WK. Something tells me this story has a bit more to do with the enviro's. I don't think the Kootenays and Washington state are at all comparable...much more open landscape in Washington state and they use a 3-point season.

I thought we already had 61 days (Sep. 10th-Nov 10th) and the proposed change was to increase it 5 days in length to Nov. 15th??

MichelD
04-25-2010, 10:36 AM
It was guide Barry Brandow they quoted but didn't identify him as a guide but as a "long time hunter." The story made it sound like he has allies in the area.

Tanya
04-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Just googled Brandow.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/topic.html?t=Person&q=Barry+Brandow

papaken
04-25-2010, 10:48 AM
If he is so "concerned" about the wildlife in BC, he should stop hunting.

kootenay redneck
04-25-2010, 11:04 AM
there just a bunch of howdy doody welfare cases out there leaching of the honest hardworking true canadian the leaf lickers out in nelson should be concerning themselves with there gardens and peeling potatoes,tnx i've ranted enough

Fisher-Dude
04-25-2010, 11:05 AM
It was guide Barry Brandow they quoted but didn't identify him as a guide but as a "long time hunter." The story made it sound like he has allies in the area.

Figures. He really needs a muzzle. Interesting that he just participated in a mule deer count that showed huge increases in mule deer. FFS! :mad:

Gilpin Mule Deer Count

MU 8-15, March 23, 2010

Navigator/Recorder: Brian Harris. Observers: Aaron Reid, Bear Brandow

This study encountered mule deer at 150.5 deer per hour, which is much more frequently than recent previous surveys (table 2).
Table 2. Mule deer classification surveys in the Gilpin area near Grand Forks, 1997-2008.
Survey Date

Total Deer Classified

Percent Fawns

Mule deer per hour

March 23, 2010

Jan 15, 2008

March 16, 2004

March 21, 2003

December 20, 2002

December 11, 2000

Not available

March 22, 1999

Not available

March 30, 1998

Not available

Paulyman
04-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Ah it all makes sense now! why wouldn't a go try and reduce hunting opportunities for you and I and look after his own agenda?

aggiehunter
04-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Brandow told me he hasn't guided a mule deer hunter for 15 years....

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Older people should let the new hunters have their chance now and teach how to hunt better skills and leave the season as long as the MOE deems suitable, sustainable, and working with winter ranges for mule deer like Gilpin happens to be.. leave a lengthy season for to enjoy..

Brambles
04-25-2010, 12:18 PM
"Hunters and environmentalists" ???? Brambles must be president! LOL :wink:

Glad you put an LOL beside that, otherwise I would have been offended.

As mentioned before I don't listen to CBC so I don't know whats going on there. I also don't know who these "Hunters and Environmentalists" are, never heard of them.

I for one, put a request in for a longer season for Mule Deer to align the Kootenays. I would be opposed to a 9 day hunting season.

Anyone got a link to a replay of the CBC broadcast?

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Let the hunters hunt from September to December 10th and figure the rest like gos, leh, species, antlerless, any buck October, Four point or bigger, break during peak like reg 5 has implemented all things de scuss sed at the round table.
All user groups .. I shot the antlerless .. but I did not shoot the deputy .. lol .. Eric Clap of the Yapton .
Like Brando and Betty Grable ..in Sable .. Lay it on the table .. BAM! I shot the Sher Reeeeeeffff ..

Brambles
04-25-2010, 12:54 PM
BAM! I shot the Sher Reeeeeeffff ..

I think you smoked the Sher Reeeeeeeffffeeeerrrr

04-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Figures. He really needs a muzzle. Interesting that he just participated in a mule deer count that showed huge increases in mule deer. FFS! :mad:

Gilpin Mule Deer Count

MU 8-15, March 23, 2010

Navigator/Recorder: Brian Harris. Observers: Aaron Reid, Bear Brandow

This study encountered mule deer at 150.5 deer per hour, which is much more frequently than recent previous surveys (table 2).

It should also be mentioned that they stopped counting white tailed deer (the species of concern to Brandow) after the first 15 min of flight time because there was so many of them.

one-shot-wonder
04-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Brandow told me he hasn't guided a mule deer hunter for 15 years....

You can believe him if you want, but any idiot stating there are no WT's in the boundary country is a bull$hitter in my books!

Paulyman
04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
You can believe him if you want, but any idiot stating there are no WT's in the boundary country is a bull$hitter in my books!

Thank you, well said.

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Good hunter's bullshit the best are all out liars ...
That's why I'm normal I shoot big bucks but not the biggest in North America yet lol ... half decent hunter .. use all of my emotion and half wit lol ...
Jelly Bottoms Up! Loose the hunters .. that is looooose ok not lose hahaha lol

gwillim
04-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Not sure who this Brandow fellow is, but any of the environmental reps I've talked to around Nelson are all for shooting as many white-tail deer as possible, as a means of limiting the predator populations, which in turn will give the caribou a fighting chance.

PS I'm still curious what CBC program this guy was on. I thought Sunday morning was arts and entertainment programming...

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Brandow can take his rebellion some where else .. a rebel with out a real cause ..
Thinks he's Marlon Brandow...Gilpin is a mule deer winter range sa preemo may I say
....Preemo Del a reeemo so let's use the area and improve the area ..
Keep winter range healthy for the herds and you will have many deer ...
Jello . Mellow Yellow .. they call me Mellow jello ... that's right ... lol ...60's...deer hunters forever
and forever is a mighty long time ..

Chuck
04-25-2010, 09:04 PM
I caught most of that story and I think that the concern was in the Grand Forks area, which is MU 8, not 4. Problem in 4, as someone has already said, is the fact that too many hunters are definitely "finding" the crops. I haven't heard anyone in and around Nelson talking about how they were anti this new regulation, but if there is some, they are definitely "low key" about it anyway. Imo it could be some guides or someone who likes to stir the $hit.

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Nelson has some people that don't ah hunt probably too much.
Lot of laid back living and a wonderful setting ...
Some hill billy types also related to each other lol ..
Jel ..
MU 4-7 try Salmo River
Next Creek
Summit Creek
In MU 4-8
Try Cotton wood Creek
Kootenay River too all along if you can find a spot?
Jel .. Brandow can make like the birds ..
P.S. mu 4-7 .. Kootenay Lake West
mu 4-8......... Nelson South and has the biggest bull elk Just south of Trail
Walk a ridge back Jack mules whites and a huge bugling six-point elk is truly the regal prize --

Big Lew
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
The bigger problem is lack of accountability for journalists, news reporters, or anyone looking for a sensationalist story. Too few bother to check their facts, or try to hear both sides to a story in order to properly present an unbiased and balanced story. I have a huge library of books covering western Canada written by many authors about pioneers, explorers, the fur trappers, gold seekers, etc. beginning in the late 1700's up until the 1900's. Some of the more prolific writers were so keen to put out another book, they didn't bother to check the facts, of simply made up some of their stories and passed them off as fact.

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 09:39 PM
MU 4-18 ..... Nelson .. North Shore
Some access via Sproule Grohman ( Grow Man lol) Creek roads, from Taghum( Tag them) in Hwy 3A west of Nelson.
Hwy 3A runs along West Arm; powerline a short distance above it.
this provides good whitetail still hunting along it.
Some big bucks in the North Shore area .. Elk too ..
Coffee Creek and Woodbury Creek roads fair deer .. from Hwy 31
private land dwellers too lol ..
Jel .. MU 4-18 lots of game to hunt ... Nelson - North Shore

boxhitch
04-25-2010, 11:19 PM
The bigger problem is lack of accountability for journalists, news reporters, or anyone looking for a sensationalist story. Too few bother to check their facts, or try to hear both sides to a story in order to properly present an unbiased and balanced story.Would sure look good if someone from the local area would take the CBC idjits to task. Not just as a contradiction to the story, but for passing on such untruths.

hunter1947
04-26-2010, 03:51 AM
What a crock on there thoughts what are they thinking ???? ,O I know what they want more deer to feed the predators :roll: I would like the government to spend more time on looking after there duties on there spending etc in this Provence then that of reducing a mule deer season.

Start looking after the reduction of predators first if they want to do something so there not feeding more deer to them ,what a crock its some kind of back up so they can fix there mis management :evil:..

04-26-2010, 07:02 AM
I live close to Nelson and except for a couple of store boycott the whole place altogether.It is a town based on drug culture economy,that has no interest in anything other than pot and 30year old guys hanging on skateboards.Hippy shit hole.

Brambles
04-26-2010, 08:38 AM
I live close to Nelson and except for a couple of store boycott the whole place altogether.It is a town based on drug culture economy,that has no interest in anything other than pot and 30year old guys hanging on skateboards.Hippy shit hole.

Hey, be careful painting the whole town with the same brush. Not all Nelsonites are as you described, there are lots of hard working people in this town, unfortunatly the weirdo's are the ones everyone see because they come to Nelson to shop Baker st and the weirdo's mainly hang out there.

04-26-2010, 09:04 AM
I apologize to the hard workers left inthat town,but Ive lived here all my life and watched Nelson erode into the counter culture hub,where the greenies reign supreme and everyone turns a blind-eye to the "farming".I have friends in Nelson who just shake their head at what ideas come out of that place.Brambles once again I didnt mean to paint all Nellies with the same brush

mcrae
04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
I apologize to the hard workers left in that town,but Ive lived here all my life and watched Nelson erode into the counter culture hub,where the greenies reign supreme and everyone turns a blind-eye to the "farming".I have friends in Nelson who just shake their head at what ideas come out of that place.Brambles once again I didn't mean to paint all Nellies with the same brush

The "farming" and drug culture is the entire area not just the city of Nelson. Just as much of it going on in Castlegar,Trail,New Denver, etc...

I would say the real hot bed of the "drug culture" is in the Slocan valley these days...

Its kind of funny though because during the winter none of the "transients" that cause all the issues are around. Nelson is a ski town with semi normal people around. Its hard for me to describe skiers as normal:-D. As soon as the weather warms up though the "transients" crawl outta of there holes and come back.

Its important to remember these people are not Nelsonites. They are free loading welfare cases for the most part. For some reason the people of Nelson tolerate it and accept it its like having a dowtown East side in a city of 10,000 people. Every community has them its just that Nelsons are very visible and tolerated...

Back to the anti hunting issue and my theory on that is again Nelson seems to be a destination for people from the lower Mainland. Allot of the people I have talked to about anti hunting issues are recent arrivals from bigger cities. Allot bring the values they have with them so its not neccissarly very indicitive of the actual people that have grown up in Nelson...

Brambles for example has grown up in Nelson and is an avid outdoorsman and hunter. Many of the people I meet that are born and raised Nelsonites are the same. I am a trasnplant from the Lower Mainland who was already a hunter. I married a Nelsonite. No anti hunters in her family either. Mind you they don't hunt but they are not opposed to hunting...

While I agree that Nelson has some social issues that many find annoying the good hard working blue collar types far outweigh the people you are describing. I fear in the years to come though that this will not be the case....

35 Whelen
04-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Well said Mcrae.

The sub culture IS the minority. Most of Nelson is made up of hard working people who live here by choice, rather than the rat hole lower mainland.

04-26-2010, 11:07 AM
I know my town has lots of farmers too no is free of that type in the interior.I just wish that the transient types wouldnt overshadow the hard working people in towns like Nelson,Slocan,Kaslo etc.I am sorry to hi-jack the topic,now back to deer hunting.

mcrae
04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I know my town has lots of farmers too no is free of that type in the interior.I just wish that the transient types wouldnt overshadow the hard working people in towns like Nelson,Slocan,Kaslo etc.I am sorry to hi-jack the topic,now back to deer hunting.

Agreed in the good ole days the good old boys would have run them all outta town:-D...

I am not to worried about a 10 day deer season everone with half a brain will see thru that nonsnense that was spouted on the CBC...

Jelvis
04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
MU 4-17
Slocan Valley East for the wild big game beasts ...
Reached from Hwy 6 via Wilson Creek road 12 km south of Nakusp, remember that name Nakusp; Hwy 31A between New Denver and Kaslo (poor access), Silveton, Enterprize and squeeze my Lemmon Creek roads ..lol
Fair hunting for whites and mules ... Like a cool Kokanee?
Kokanee Glacier Park in eastern edge, reached from Lemon Creek road don't look so sour ..
Check reg's for Kokanee hunting ..... Check Lemmon Creek
Bonanza creek
Wilson creek
Halfway
Kuskanax
trout lake
Jelly and the Nelson Eddy's .. up the Lemmon ...Sour puss ... lol

one-shot-wonder
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
I am sorry to hi-jack the topic

Jelly where's your apology?

Fisher-Dude
04-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Brambles for example has grown up

That's open for debate. Maybe we should start a new thread with a poll? :rolleyes:

Jelvis
04-26-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm so sorry for Hi - Jackin yer thread topic,and (one shot wounder) can promote Marlon Brandow lol...if he wants to .. free country ..
I prefer a long hunting season for all hunters in B.C. tho
Jel .. sorry! Whoaly you Nelsonettes are emotional girls lol ...

steepNdeep
04-26-2010, 12:43 PM
"Nelson area hunters and local environmentalist wants to reduce hunting of deer around Nelson..."
That is total bs and typical "green-washing" of the facts... surprise, surprise... :rolleyes:

Anyone have any names of these individuals?

Just your 'friend' the GO Barry Brandow from Grand Forks again... ;) Looks like he's spewin' the same sh!t as always... Good thing we have Jesse stating the FACTS!..http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/story.html?id=accd441b-f3de-441c-827f-2d196bae26ab

Funny, the exploding ('homesteading') deer population has become such a problem in Grand Forks that they are trying to legalize a hunt WITHIN the City limits!! I suppose that's a sign of the dwindling deer population that he spouts off about... :rolleyes:

Apparently his pocket book is more important that the hunting rights of all British Columbians...