PDA

View Full Version : bear tracks

brock77
04-25-2010, 08:12 AM
After shooting some goffers in a farmers fields, we decided to take a drive where we usually hunt for elk. Right down the middle of the road are these bear tracks,i think grizz? is it the width plus an inch for anaverage size of the bear ? i could put my hole shoe (size 10) in the tracks http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100424191500_1_.jpg
Ater seing these,we drove up the road a little further and seen four bull (2 spikers) still carying head gear wierd, thought even the little guys would have dropped by now.

swampthing
04-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Kind of hard to tell by the pic but it looks like a black bear track sliding in the mud. I dont see the big claw marks up front that a griz leaves.

digger dogger
04-25-2010, 08:18 AM
yup, front paw width and add a inch.. 7" width add the inch and the bear should go 8' ish.

.330 Dakota
04-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Looks like a black bear track to me, the claws are tight to the pad, whereas a Griz has the claws out in front and are very visable and seperate from the main part of the imprint

brock77
04-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Kind of hard to tell by the pic but it looks like a black bear track sliding in the mud. I dont see the big claw marks up front that a griz leaves.

there were claw marks in some tracks and not in others, do black bears not leave claw marks ? the pic is from my phone, three tracks back from this one there was a perfect track like this one, but without the slide marks, but my phone died, if a black bear, pretty descent size no?

sawmill
04-25-2010, 08:39 AM
there were claw marks in some tracks and not in others, do black bears not leave claw marks ? the pic is from my phone, three tracks back from this one there was a perfect track like this one, but without the slide marks, but my phone died, if a black bear, pretty descent size no?
Hell yeah! If you see him hammer him .that is a real good bear.Black I`m thinking .Claws on a black are tight to the pads,a grizz has long toenails and the track should have imprints a few inches out from the pads.My grizz had 6 inch claws and you could see the imprints way in front of the tracks.

brock77
04-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Hell yeah! If you see him hammer him .that is a real good bear.Black I`m thinking .Claws on a black are tight to the pads,a grizz has long toenails and the track should have imprints a few inches out from the pads.My grizz had 6 inch claws and you could see the imprints way in front of the tracks.

never hunted bear, the wife doesn't want me to, but i told if hes big he going down and a tanned hide on the back off the couch,:wink: so hopefully i see him the next time, maybe this afternoon

luckynuts
04-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Pretty poor pic but a real easy way to tell, is a grizz will have all of his toes above his pad and a black will have his pinky beside or kinda below the pad. Grizz don't always leave claw marks I take pics of 4-5 different grizzly track every spring almost kinda personnel with these bears and sometimes if the mud is really soft and wet you will get the whole claw going straight out though most times just points out from the pad like a black would leave. Wait for Srupp to reply he should be able to tell you. Though that back track in the picture has me thinking blackie. Actually seen my first set of grizz tracks this morning a little 6'

Good luck hope you find him and he turns out to be a black

W.