PDA

View Full Version : Spring Is Here!

longshot
04-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Hey Guys,

Well its the off season... on a Saturday... and I had nothing better to do... so I took out my bike and headed out to the farms for some bird watching. :mrgreen:

I rode by many pieces of private farms and public marshes and most of the birds are paired off. I know of a hidden marsh full of cat-tails and mush-brush that not many people know about. I park my bike and walk out into the marsh, there I saw... Ring-necks, Gadwalls, and Blue-wing Teal, and a breeding pair of Canada's. Very neat sight.

I rode by many private grasslands and in every field I saw atleast 2 pairs of mallards in fresh nests. Good sign for a good hatch.

I rode right through anbother field that I have permission to bike/walk through and in it were 3 goose nests in use by Canada Geese. Can't wait till some gosslings appear. :-D

Right around 6:00 I went into a barren black-berry turf and there were TONS of eastern-cottontails bouncing all over the place. Wary little buggers!!

I had just enough time to check out one more field before dinner... and sure enough, Speckle-Bellies were in it. There were about 10 of them and they have been using this field for the past 2 weeks.

I forgot to bring my camera so maybe I'll get back riding tomorrow and get some pics of all the birds and those cool Specks!! :-D Hope to add pics soon....

Longshot jr.

hopsing
04-24-2010, 11:19 PM
thanks longshot for taking us along your walk

gutpile
04-25-2010, 02:19 AM
Storys with out pictures! come on man get with it !

longshot
04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Storys with out pictures! come on man get with it !

I know I know, :(, but I am going to get a bunch today and hopefully I can track down those Specks again. :wink:

Longshot jr.