PDA

View Full Version : Bears and new clear cuts

Browningridge
04-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I am heading up to harrison tonight to try my luck for a bear,was up last weekend and they have logged into a few new areas that look promising but are brand new cuts,would many of you recommend hunting a new clearing or would it be better to wait a few years??

Advice would be appreciated,thanks.

Brew
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
I think you will find them in the new ones but mostly the 2 year old ones where the nice new grasses are growing. I was up there last week and did not see a single dropping or a bear. The week before I saw a bear but he was pretty small. The skunk cabbage is growing pretty good up there but none of it had been touched by a bear as of yet. Good luck hope ya get a big one. please post a report when you get back.

Steeleco
04-23-2010, 01:06 PM
If the cut block is turning green it's a good one to spend some time on, if not keep looking!! Just east of the old Bear creek rec site there's a few roads that were covered in clover the last time I was in there, find them and you may just find something to take home!!

cavebear
04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
most the bears i find are in older slashes with a lot of new growth ie grasses, berries etc:-D

Browningridge
04-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks fellas,i will let you know how it goes and if i cross paths with a few.

Steeleco
04-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks fellas,i will let you know how it goes and if i cross paths with a few.

You'd better, it's the HBC law :wink::wink:

bruin
04-23-2010, 06:33 PM
I've had good luck quietly walking old, overgrown roads. As long as there isn't too much of a canopy there will be good feed and they don't get any pressure in those spots. You'll know it if you get into their living room.
Avoid new clearcuts though anything is possible.

hunter1947
04-25-2010, 05:08 AM
The best clear cuts to hunt are the ones that have a few years of growth in them..

Ltbullken
04-25-2010, 07:10 AM
DO NOT HUNT CLEAR CUTS FOR BEARS! They do not like the fresh grass and forbes that grow there in the spring! Blech! They hate that s**t! It is a myth that they hang out there early in the morning and late in the afternoon in the spring. Especially, do not hunt the clear cut that I am on!! :mrgreen: Especially if it is a few years old. That is even worse!

Tikka270wsm
04-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Usually older slashes with lots of greenery or old deactivated roads. Early in the season try to find areas with lots of skunk cabbage. End of May and beginning of June is when you should concentrate most of your time and efforts.

marbles67
04-25-2010, 09:11 AM
where do you guys get your bear meat done at,and what all do get ,sausage ect?

Browningridge
04-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Well we went up the west side dealt with a downpour but still put some miles on the quad rain or shine.So we came across one small bear and alot of sign just about every old road i went up had sign on it,and lots of grenery coming in as well, skunk cabbage all over the place,did some hiking on sunday well it was nice came across three deer and one grouse was in around the 37 km mark,so not a bad trip,with all the sign they must be moving around so will hit it again next weekend and try a little further in.