PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with this story??

Everett
04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=361691

Ran across this while reseaching a Caribou hunt something caught my eye as to possibly being illegal. I have checked the regs and it looks illegal to me just want some confirmation of my suspicions. Please read and tell me if you see something thats not right.

The Dawg
04-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Are you talking about the foxes? Thats the first thing that jumped to me, but I dont know the regs for where they were.

Everett
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Are you talking about the foxes? Thats the first thing that jumped to me, but I dont know the regs for where they were.

Thats it according to last years regs there is know region 6 fox season. The poster claims to be on the the Kawdy which is region 6. Not sure if there was a region 6 fox season in the past.

The Dawg
04-22-2010, 10:12 PM
The date on his post is Oct 2008, so who knows about then.

Everett
04-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Just looked at regs going back to 2004 and no fox season that I can find.

The Dawg
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow...seems like someone might have just hung themselves by posting pics like that :evil:

Moose Guide
04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I went through the regs back to 2002 and could find no season on fox in reg. 6! someone should talk to a C.O.

Everett
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
So whats a person to do? Any CO's reading this post please feal free to deal with this personaly not normaly the cop calling type.

RJ
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Aren't foxes fur bearing? So would they fall under small game? Just a thought...

Everett
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Aren't foxes fur bearing? So would they fall under small game? Just a thought...

Thats the sort of thought that kept me from calling the cops been thinking about this for two days. Mayby the guy was killing them under a trappers license or hell mayby he his native so rules don't apply. Mind you this would be tahltan territory and those asshats don't like anyone hunting on there turf native or not so I can't see them giving an out of province native permission to shoot fox.

KB90
04-22-2010, 10:55 PM
There is no season for hunting fox, so unless his trapline is up there?

shaner338
04-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Thread kinda ended when someone said "I didn't know BC had openings for foxs":-?
wtf

BCBear
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
you can trap fox using a rifle shotgun or bow...if that makes any sense at all...page 95

Everett
04-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Went through the regs there is no hunting season for fox in BC there is a trapping season though.

shaner338
04-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Trapping season isn't in Aug!

Everett
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
So lets have a vote is he a poacher who needs a visit from the BC CO service or is there something I am missing.

shaner338
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Trapping season in reg 6 Oct 15 - Feb 28 & Caribou end Oct 10.:-?
Somehow I don't think it would be Oct by the looks of the weather!:-?

The Dawg
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Like I said before, I think he hung himself with those pics. Should be reported IMO.

shaner338
04-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Dosn't hurt to let the COs know.

hunter1947
04-23-2010, 06:02 AM
You would think that the COS would know about this already after putting the pic and story up on the web sight ???.

Ozone
04-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Im guessing FNs who dont have to fallow laws.

Gateholio
04-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Even if there is a trapping season, looks like he is not a BC resident. I don't think non BC residents can have a trapping lic in BC, but I may be wrong.

One Shot
04-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Sent the links to the COs. Let them sort it out.

Everett
04-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Thank you for saving me the hassle.

The Dawg
04-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Yep, I did it last night as well. In their hands now.

Darksith
04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
looks like he is not a BC resident.
what makes you say that? I'm gonna bet hes got a FN get out of jail whenever you want card.

silvicon
04-23-2010, 01:36 PM
If he is an indian, he can do what he wants where he wants,
No season, bag limit, closed area or oder obstacles.
Almost forgot: don't pay any taxes.

Gateholio
04-23-2010, 01:37 PM
what makes you say that? .

He is posting on an Alberta board and his location is listed as Calgary.

RJ
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Now that this information has been passed on, is there anyway to find out what the outcome would be?

steel_ram
04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Kawdy Plateau is strictly a fly in show. Doubt the pilot would have let illegal kills on his plane if he knew.

Mik
04-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Report it all you want, make yourself feel better, I'd be shocked if something ever came about of the situation! Until the Go ernment decides to stand up , good luck:(

ruger#1
04-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Kawdy Plateau is strictly a fly in show. Doubt the pilot would have let illegal kills on his plane if he knew. Do you really believe all bush pilots are honest?

aggiehunter
04-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Are you guys gonna report someone shooting a wolf where there is no season...doubt it!

Darksith
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
He is posting on an Alberta board and his location is listed as Calgary.
wow, you went a whole lot further than I did. Nice research, you do any PI work on the side?

Pioneerman
04-24-2010, 06:41 AM
wow, you went a whole lot further than I did. Nice research, you do any PI work on the side?

Wasn't a lot of sleuthing needed it says his location right beside the guys profile.

steel_ram
04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm almost getting the impression that some of you think shooting wildlife out of season is OK, just because they are Fox's. The location (Kawdy Plateau) is remote, however hundreds of camps have been flown into that particular little lake, (since it's the only lake) and those little animals have become almost the camp pets. If some ignorant person get's off on blasting them then they should be held accountable.

If someone shot a wolf where they were closed I would report them.

Gateholio
04-24-2010, 12:30 PM

Rockford, this is Mr. Dow. If you think I'm going to pay to have your car repainted, you're nuts. You can take your expense bill and stuff it

308Lover
04-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Laugh at me if you want, but just because you CAN shoot foxes, why shoot them after a successful hunt instead of just leaving them and the other critters the offal? The Yukon/Cassiar/Dease Lake area has beautiful foxes to see.
I've seen hundreds, but never felt it necessary to blast them. We don't have to shoot EVERYTHING just because we can. I suppose the ptarmigan were legal too. How about the green mess they cooked up. Sure made me hungry! LOL

Everett
04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Well said!
Personally I would have attempted to get in touch with the owners, administrators or the moderators of Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum. – possibly Rob Miskosky Publisher/Editor-Alberta Outdoorsmen before posting on HBC re: your concern!

I’m in no position to say what he did was right or wrong. He was simply sharing some memories with some beautiful photos.
Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemies.!:(

From my perspective as the OP he was poaching foxes. I posted the thread to make sure I was not missing something in the regs. From the members responses I was correct. Unless he is a native hunting in his traditional territory or has the trapping license to that area he is a poacher and since he is a white guy with a Alberta location he is probably neither and hopefully will be charged and convicted for his actions.
As for being our own worst eanmy this guy from what I can see is a poacher he isn't one of us.

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
04-24-2010, 07:11 PM
As for being our own worst enemy this guy from what I can see is a poacher he isn't one of us.

well said.

RJ
04-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Did anyone save a copy of those pics? Looks like he's deleted all of em...

BCBear
04-24-2010, 07:33 PM
it certainly looks like they killed the foxes illegally, but since he posted the pictures it's hard to believe they were poaching intentionally. They most likely were just ignorant about the matter.. no excuse i know, but lets not wish him and his dad hell fire over this.

abbyfireguy
04-24-2010, 08:50 PM
He knows he broke the law now. Why else would he delete the pics?
Run criminal run.....LOL...
Don't think the CO's will get too worked up about two red foxes..

Krico
04-24-2010, 09:03 PM
it certainly looks like they killed the foxes illegally, but since he posted the pictures it's hard to believe they were poaching intentionally. They most likely were just ignorant about the matter.. no excuse i know, but lets not wish him and his dad hell fire over this.

My thoughts exactly. An honest mistake. The feeding frenzies with all the white knights beating their chests can get a little tiresome around here.

steel_ram
04-24-2010, 09:19 PM
My thoughts exactly. An honest mistake. The feeding frenzies with all the white knights beating their chests can get a little tiresome around here.

Yeah, people that give a Sh*t are jerks.:roll:

I'd bet more damage is done in total to wildlife by "ignorant" hunters making "error's" than hard core poachers. Someone who's gone to the trouble to research, pay for and go on a hunt sure as heck should know what the regs are. But heck, let's let them off this time, they seem like nice fellows.

gh300
04-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Isn't he from the same province that baits bears. Oh wait I think we're the only province that doesn't. I guess we like the challenge of fair chase and actually HUNTING!!!

Ambush
04-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Isn't he from the same province that baits bears. Oh wait I think we're the only province that doesn't. I guess we like the challenge of fair chase and actually HUNTING!!!

No. We don't do it 'cause it's illegal here.

Mr. Dean
04-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Devils Advocate speaking here;

Once upon a time,,, I nearly whacked a Bobcat when out hunting yote's - The little buggar showed up when I was retrieving my call. The only thing that saved his life was the fact that I left my rifle, back in the "nest".

Bobs closed the day before AND the regs were sitting on the dashboard of my Jeep. That said; Kitty would have gone down *IF* I had a gun in my hand.

Pretty silly/st00pid - Guilty.
Poacher - Not.

A man that hasn't tasted crow, hasn't experienced life - Just my opinion. :wink:

Gateholio
04-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Shooting a fox out of a season is illegal. It maybe an honest mistake, but if you make that mistake, the honorable thing to do is to man up and deal with it.

Mr. Dean
04-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Shooting a fox out of a season is illegal. It maybe an honest mistake, but if you make that mistake, the honorable thing to do is to man up and deal with it.

Granted. But I have no idea if he is or isn't "dealing with it". Too call this person a poacher, IMO, is a little premature.

Now if he runs and tries to hide; different story. :wink:

RJ
04-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Too call this person a poacher, IMO, is a little premature.

An animal shot out of season (or where there is no season) is a poached animal. Even if it was a mistake, still poached. Crappy situation but there really is no other way to describe it

Mr. Dean
04-25-2010, 02:08 AM
An animal shot out of season (or where there is no season) is a poached animal. Even if it was a mistake, still poached. Crappy situation but there really is no other way to describe it

The we must agree to disagree.

I see a poacher as a person with wanton disregards to wildlife and the laws that govern it.... You know, like the guy that lives on the island (Mr. Shithead Addison) - That's a poacher.

Here we have a person that's not trying to hide his endeavours.... I'm leaning towards a Hunter that fooked up - Different ball park.

Like I said; JMO.
And FWIW, I'm not advocating a 'get out of jail free card'.

One Shot
04-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Did anyone save a copy of those pics? Looks like he's deleted all of em...

Yup!

I have a copy of the pics and posts in the likely event :eek:that the originals got delete deleted.:mrgreen:

ty_davis34
04-25-2010, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by gunslinger http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=571440#post571440)
oohhh boy , shooter i sure hope you knew what you were doing and it is legal becasue it looks like theres a couple people trying to get to the bottom of it,

Thats because everyone in this world is so worried about everyone else.
Drives me nuts.

Last post on the thread.. Is this person for real?? In other words,

"Attention all hunters: Instead of looking out for people not playing by the rules, lets all turn a blind eye and let our sport/heritage go down the drain thanks to poachers"

RAPP exists for this reason alone - because people actually CARE.. Unbelievable.

Krico
04-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, people that give a Sh*t are jerks.:roll:

I'd bet more damage is done in total to wildlife by "ignorant" hunters making "error's" than hard core poachers. Someone who's gone to the trouble to research, pay for and go on a hunt sure as heck should know what the regs are. But heck, let's let them off this time, they seem like nice fellows.

I never said people who give a sh1t are jerks. Nor that these guys should be let off. I'm just not wishing hellfire on them.

Should a random speeding ticket result in the same penalty as a fatal hit and run? Not many would suggest so. But when it comes to "poaching" there seems to be no distinguishing between infractions in the minds of many. Judging by the responses several others on here feel the same way as I do.

We can just agree to disagree.

gwillim
04-25-2010, 08:28 PM
"Should a random speeding ticket result in the same penalty as a fatal hit and run? "

I would think from the fox perspective, that this was a fatal "hit and run"!

This being "Victims of Crime Week", courtesy our federal govt., maybe the children of the agrieved fox family should be making victim impact statements...

SteadyGirl
04-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Devils Advocate speaking here;

Once upon a time,,, I nearly whacked a Bobcat when out hunting yote's - The little buggar showed up when I was retrieving my call. The only thing that saved his life was the fact that I left my rifle, back in the "nest".

Bobs closed the day before AND the regs were sitting on the dashboard of my Jeep. That said; Kitty would have gone down *IF* I had a gun in my hand.

Pretty silly/st00pid - Guilty.
Poacher - Not.

A man that hasn't tasted crow, hasn't experienced life - Just my opinion. :wink:

ROTF*****

Mr.Dean, Hilarious!!!!

Mr. Dean
04-26-2010, 12:24 AM
ROTF*****

Mr.Dean, Hilarious!!!!

Not really, if at all.

Lets consider that my next stand was beyond where the electro-caller was positioned... I woulda packed my rifle w/ me and it would've been ready. That cat, would also be dead. No doubt about it. :(

I was only lucky; seldom do I leave a firearm behind. But the snow was above the knee and the next stand was beyond the one I just quit on. And too top it off, I was sure as shit that the cats closed the following weekend. Or should I say; I *thought* I was sure.

Seldom in life is there clear black, and clear white. Every year, my story unfolds true for many. Whether it's; a tine short of requirement, 7 and a half years old instead of 8, a 2nd deer that popped up after one was just dropped, mistaken ID of a salmon, or a critter thats *mistakenly* been taken out of season - Shit happens and it happens to the best of us that have the sincerest of intentions.

In my books, the dividing line is how the individual deals with it. If a guy f00ked up and exclaimed; "Hey! I f00ked up", I'd still respect him. Maybe even more-so than the day before. But never could I paint that guy as being a poacher.

Them dudes are, 'different'. :wink:

In this threads case, I really have no idea of the individuals intentions and am only surmising that because the person wasn't hiding the outcome of the kills, he/she probably wasn't plotting to do evil.

I'll take the middle road on this till I see all the story/facts... Hopefully the person deals with it.

silvertipp
04-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Seldom in life is there clear black, and clear white. Every year, my story unfolds true for many. Whether it's; a tine short of requirement, 7 and a half years old instead of 8, a 2nd deer that popped up after one was just dropped, mistaken ID of a salmon, or a critter thats *mistakenly* been taken out of season - Shit happens and it happens to the best of us that have the sincerest of intentions.

In my books, the dividing line is how the individual deals with it. If a guy f00ked up and exclaimed; "Hey! I f00ked up", I'd still respect him. Maybe even more-so than the day before. But never could I paint that guy as being a poacher.

Them dudes are, 'different'. :wink:

In this threads case, I really have no idea of the individuals intentions and am only surmising that because the person wasn't hiding the outcome of the kills, he/she probably wasn't plotting to do evil.

I'll take the middle road on this till I see all the story/facts... Hopefully the person deals with it.[/quote]
well dais dean

silvertipp
04-26-2010, 12:39 AM
ill try again well said Dean i adree totaly

Mr. Dean
04-27-2010, 12:44 AM
ill try again well said Dean i adree totaly

Thanks-------> Feel free to stop by the campfire for a coffee, anytime.

j270wsm
04-27-2010, 11:35 AM
judging by the fact the kid looks young I am going to assume that he still lives at home with his parents, which would mean that both live in Calgary. If that is correct then he had to be hunting with a BC resident/hunter host, or they were guided, in either case the the person they were with should have know the rules/regulations.

I know people do stupid things all the time, but I find it hard to believe he would post pics of an animal that he intentionally shot illegaly, they made a mistake, and should be punished for it, ingorance is not an excuse to poach.

Trapper
04-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Unless i missed something in his post...........there's nowhere i seen that he was the shooter.

04-27-2010, 12:21 PM
looks like RBF has some hard feelings. I guess he joind there after he got he boot here, wonder how long he will be there for?

Maxx
05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
what ever became of this story?