PDA

View Full Version : How hungry are the spring blackies?

rollingrock
03-23-2006, 11:32 AM
looks like they still don't have fixed diet after they walked out of their dens. :lol: my buddy warned me not to get too close to them as they're pretty hungry right now.

PGKris
03-23-2006, 11:37 AM
You have bears? We still have three feet of snow!

rollingrock
03-23-2006, 12:08 PM
yes, I have bears walking now. :)

mark
03-23-2006, 12:08 PM
BS, all a bear can eat is greens when they come out of a den! they havnt gone number 2 for a few months and they need the veggies to get the plumbing flowing. they are also pretty slow and grogy at first. id worry more in the fall when a bear is looking for a huge meat feast to fatten up for hibbernation. ( im not an expert but thats my understanding and observations)

Gus
03-23-2006, 12:14 PM
for sure Mark, their system cant handle a whole lot when they first come out and need some greens. A bear in the late fall however knows he's going down and needs all the fat reserves he can get, there for will be wanting to eat anything he can get.

rollingrock
03-23-2006, 12:34 PM
:lol: :lol: ahhh, but one my buddy saw was running pretty fast though. I only saw him moving his ass slowly while digging for food.

willyqbc
03-23-2006, 12:35 PM
well i will throw my thoughts in here. When mr blackie comes out of the den he will take a few days of movin around to throw his "plug". I believe that once thats done he will eat whatever presents itself. Just so happens that with no berry crops etc, no fawns yet....fresh greens are the only readily available food supply so it makes up the majority of their diet. I have seen bear crap very early in the spring full of lots of things includinggrass, last years juniper berries etc, and also have seen it with blood/hair in it, which would indicate that they are every bit as opportunistic early as they are when the fawns start to drop, or in the fall. As far as aggressive goes...not usually untl the breeding season, they don't seem as territorial about food sources in the spring because they seem to know there is a long season of eating ahead.

just my observations
Chris

huntwriter
03-23-2006, 12:45 PM
BS, all a bear can eat is greens when they come out of a den! they havnt gone number 2 for a few months and they need the veggies to get the plumbing flowing. they are also pretty slow and grogy at first. id worry more in the fall when a bear is looking for a huge meat feast to fatten up for hibbernation. ( im not an expert but thats my understanding and observations)

I have to agree with that statement 100%.

jamiedouglas
03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Hello All, I am brand new at spring bear hunting and i was scout out a few locations last week. I didn't see any signs of bears Chehalis Mt area. I am I in the wrong area to find spring bears?
Thanks Guys
Jamie

Ozone
03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Jamie, not sure were that is but most bears are still sleeping still. On the Island I dont useally start looking till April 15.

jamiedouglas
03-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks Ozone,
What kind of areas should I be looking in, Grassy field type places or more foresty type spots?
Jamie

todbartell
03-23-2006, 01:35 PM
I would of thought a bear would crap in its den over the winter

you know, from all the porridge and honey...:-|

MichelD
03-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Be careful where you park your truck. They come out to lick the winter's road salt off the tires and eat them. :wink:

Ozone
03-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Would that be baiting?

Ozone
03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Grassy roadsides, slashes. They also love skunk cabbage. Ive always found afternoons better than mornings.

rollingrock
03-23-2006, 02:59 PM

actually spring bears eat veggies only for this simple reason: scarce food. some bear might even starve to death because once they wake up from hibernation their bodies lose energy faster than what they bring into the bodies. as a matter of fact bears cant digest veggies very well, and that's why they eat veggies in big volume.

mark
03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Be careful where you park your truck. They come out to lick the winter's road salt off the tires and eat them. :wink:

then theyd get it for sure! no mercy! :mad:

BigfishCanada
03-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Rolling Rock where did you see them, Ive been up eagle mountain on my quad and havent seen sign yet. I saw a cougar running but no sign of bear. In june the area is littered with Bears, and as I said my dumb neighbor feeds them his garbage so I usually have one in my yard regulary. Is it illegal yet to leave garbage out? If not why not?

rollingrock
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Bigfish,

:tongue: believe it or not, I saw two deer too in the same area, close by where I live. oh man I need to load some ammo now! :wink:

Sikanni Stalker
03-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Ants grubs etc. Up here before the grass and the berries begin they are eating bugs, old crops anything they can pretty much.

johnes50
03-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Once when I was dirt bike camping my buddy had a bear chew the seat off his dirt bike, but didn't touch the tires. We blamed it on the beans.