PDA

View Full Version : never hunted Goats before

fozzy
04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
This coming fall my Wife wants to go after goats. I've never hunted them before and only seen them once before, just outside of Keremeos.
Any advice or tips from those who have been sucessful with these high altitude critters?
cheers
Fozzy

bruin
04-20-2010, 09:50 PM
My brother got that permit several years ago. We ended up hiking off the highway for a goat which he got. Our strategy was pretty simple, just drove the highway and lots of glassing. We don't see alot of goats from the highway anymore and some of the locals have said that they spend most of their time at this mine site.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/bruin_photo/Keremeos.jpg

I would suggest checking both.

fozzy
04-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Where are the highest population of goats in BC?

BlacktailStalker
04-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Skeena area holds a lot.

BCbillies
04-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Where are the highest population of goats in BC?

The zone that my house is situated (Terrace area) is rumoured to have the highest population anywhere. Within that zone there are some very large concentrations of goats - we have counted herds in the 50 to 60 range and some nice horn genetics to boot on the mature billies. The big billies aren't typically with those big herds.

BTW - You're post caught my attention . . . don't know many wives that want to hunt goats!

fozzy
04-21-2010, 12:24 AM
The zone that my house is situated (Terrace area) is rumoured to have the highest population anywhere. Within that zone there are some very large concentrations of goats - we have counted herds in the 50 to 60 range and some nice horn genetics to boot on the mature billies. The big billies aren't typically with those big herds.

BTW - You're post caught my attention . . . don't know many wives that want to hunt goats!

Thanks guys for the posts, I'll take any tips offered :) I know there is a wealth of info between all the members on the site.

Last year, I asked Nadine what she wanted to do for this season and she said she wanted a Goat, game on! Just nobody tell her about things like the grand slam ok :)

I have been doing a fair bit of reading and looking on google earth etc. It should be a fun season.

j270wsm
04-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Region 4-23 has a health population as well. I always put in for zone A- 20 tags with 7.4:1 odds, and zone B -148 tags with 0.9:1 odds. Zone A has more vehicle access. Zone B requires a bit more hiking, but you can be into goats after about 2km. Both areas can be glassed from the roads.

goatdancer
04-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Get in good physical shape because you will need to be. You might get lucky and find an easy one but the odds are it will be a grunt. Good luck. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Don_Abbate
04-21-2010, 04:40 PM
I have not got a goat but i would suggest doing the grouse grind, regularly its a nice little hike which helps then i would do squats, sprinting, stairs, lunges, high intensity cardio 160 to 180 heart rate to work your heart more endurance. squats def good idea for leg strength will help climb easily have fun

Don_Abbate
04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
grouse grind or similar hike what ever is closest to you

slyfox
04-21-2010, 04:47 PM
SHIT! Don you sound like a athlete.

silvertipp
04-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I have not got a goat but i would suggest doing the grouse grind, regularly its a nice little hike which helps then i would do squats, sprinting, stairs, lunges, high intensity cardio 160 to 180 heart rate to work your heart more endurance. squats def good idea for leg strength will help climb easily have fun

holly crap lets not get caried away ,starting to scare me now
maybe a little extra cardio within reason & a few beer

d6dan
04-21-2010, 04:53 PM
holly crap lets not get caried away ,starting to scare me now
maybe a little extra cardio within reason & a few beer

Holy Cow!! Can you believe that shit Silvertipp?. That boys got to get out of Vancouver. Glad to not be livin there:mrgreen:. Grouse Grind, Yuppie ville.....giddy-up:-D.

Bluedsteel
04-21-2010, 06:26 PM
I have had the opportunity to guide for big game for many years and my advice is to make sure you shoot it in a spot that you can get to safely, keep in mind you may be caping this animal on a ledge with very little room to spare. When you do take the shot make it count and drop him on the spot or else you risk having him jump off of the nearest cliff or twitch his way off of the ledge and then you will be trying to find the broken horns in the rocks, not likely to find them. If the goat is unattainable then get yourself situated and wait for him to come out to feed which is usually in the evening or early morning. Some big Billies rarely come down to feed as they can live off of very little and have grown quite inteligent over the years. If you go after them too early in the season their hide can be quite thin and scruffy. Good luck, it's a great hunt.

Don_Abbate
04-21-2010, 10:08 PM
every little bit of hiking helps im from vancouver so its easy i can go for a small hike right after work its very easy to add in after work and still get home for dinner and relax this way i don't have to drive out to the bush to train nothing wrong with the grind and nothing wrong with training its best to be as prepared as you can be some of the hills can take your life if your not in excellent shape and the easier the hike the more enjoyable your hunt and i aint no yuppy

Don_Abbate
04-21-2010, 10:20 PM
I have had surgery on both knees so thats why i need to be extra cautious i don't wanna get hurt and not be able to hunt that would be the worst thing that could happen to me but yeah you don't have to go all hard core everyone is in different shape for some it comes easier then others thats all

GoatGuy
04-21-2010, 10:52 PM

That is good practice.

Trying to get past all the nimrods on the grouse grind is just like going through thick buck brush and shin tangle.

hopsing
04-21-2010, 10:57 PM
This coming fall my Wife wants to go after goats. I've never hunted them before and only seen them once before, just outside of Keremeos.
Any advice or tips from those who have been sucessful with these high altitude critters?
cheers
Fozzy

Oh you are so lucky! Doing the vertical challenge high octane hunt chasing those snow white Satans gotta be the best. What area you want to go? Any goat or winter coat?

Don_Abbate
04-22-2010, 07:39 AM
goatguy your right on with that one can be hectic at times. if i get a weekend where im free come may to september id much rather go up into the bush probobly the elaho and start climbing good training plus i can scout some of the areas in there at the same time.

steel_ram
04-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Why not ride your quad as close to as possible, and then snipe them with your ULTRA magnum. ;)

silvertipp
04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
I have had surgery on both knees so thats why i need to be extra cautious i don't wanna get hurt and not be able to hunt that would be the worst thing that could happen to me but yeah you don't have to go all hard core everyone is in different shape for some it comes easier then others thats all
i just cant see myself climbing a mountain for no reason other then to get into shape gota have some animals to spot or at least shoot

Mooseter
04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Get in shape, look for loners or pairs high on the mtn, stalk out of sight and try to get above them.

Don_Abbate
04-22-2010, 09:32 AM
well yah that makes it way better. climbing to train is more of a chore no real payout. any suggestions on nice packs not to heavy but built to last

steel_ram
04-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Nothing wrong with climbing a mountain to get to the top. Enjoy the views, the journey and reward yourself with a not so healthy treat when you get back, you earned it.

It doesn't always have to be about killing stuff. There are way bigger rewards to staying in shape.

Don_Abbate
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM
exactly steel ram

pg83
04-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Like some of the guys said. Get yourself and the lady into shape. Depending on where you are hunting you're gonna do a lot of climbing. Dunno when you plan to go, but early season is easier to see them and to get to them, late season gives you a better coat. I've been with my Dad on two successful goat hunts and been skunked on many more and the best piece of advice I can tell you is that goats are tough. You need to be careful about where that billy is when you shoot at him and you need to be prepared to shoot him a couple of times even if your first shot is bang on. Dads second billy took three .308 magnum shots to keep him in his place(1 heart, 2 double lung). The things just didnt want to stay down. Goat are an awesome hunt and amazing to eat.
Enjoy and best of luck to you!

Chuck Norris
04-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I heartily agree to getting into the best shape possible before hunting goats (or any animal in BC for that matter). This could be the difference between returning from your hunt having "seen" lots of animals, or returning from your hunt with a trophy. The better shape you are in will translate to less hesitation leaving your vehicle, going further and getting there faster. Likewise, it will make your hunt extremely more enjoyable, and could be the difference between a single goat hunting experience or many! Best of luck in any case, always great to see interest from the ladies!

Don_Abbate
04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
i will be packin my 300 win mag 180 gr mrx i hope it drops the goat ill need to make a good clean shot no matter what size gun. CANT WAIT WOOOOOO

Caribou_lou
04-23-2010, 09:22 AM
The one thing I have learned when hunting goat. Make sure you see them first. After they see you it's usually game over. So take your time and do lots of glassing. Slow and steady.
The only way to train for a goat hunt, is to hike. Those treadmills and stairmasters don't prepare you for the terrain you will be in.

silvertipp
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Nothing wrong with climbing a mountain to get to the top. Enjoy the views, the journey and reward yourself with a not so healthy treat when you get back, you earned it.

It doesn't always have to be about killing stuff. There are way bigger rewards to staying in shape.
i not saying i have to kill something to go on a hike all im saying is why not take a set off glasses and do a little glassing. running up & down the grouse grind is a waiste of time. any goat hunt ive bean on its a slow

climb take your time ,get the wind right, get above & stock in. they do not move around a whole lot unless they are spooked so generally there is no hurry slower down and enjoy the hunt

fozzy
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the replies so far :)

We went over to the mainland for the Kamloops gun show on the weekend. After the show we stopped in at a buddies place for a visit. We saw over a dozen goats between Princeton and Olala! Nadine was thrilled to see them up there on the rocks. I left my good camera at home but managed a few pics with a cell phone through bino's, next time we'll get better pics.

SteadyGirl
04-25-2010, 11:02 PM
With goats concider a shot that will take both shoulder blades out... a wee bit high of the boiler room. that can clip the spinal column too and you have an anchored goat one way or another.