PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow Shooting Range

JK_RUBICON
04-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi folks,
Ive been lurking around and trying to find a course/field to go shoot my dads new Parker Terminator 175lber.
Ive been practicing my Bow shooting at Burnaby Archery field, but was notified that shooting my dads crossbow on that range is Illigal:confused:
I need some help here. Please confirm if that is true, if so where in LM I can practice shoot a crossbow.
Thank you very much,
Sam:-D

Rutger
04-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Call Bormans in New West. They sell crossbows and can tell you the answer you seek.

bsa30-06
04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Yep your not allowed crossbows at the burnaby lake field.

arcadia
04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I was in a gun shop recently and the guys were saying that the archery guys don't like the crossbow guys. A friend of mine got a little older and had some financial pressure so he sold his Harley and bought a Yamaha V Star. Now his riding buddies won't ride with him. They are just TOO COOL. Is it true that cross bows don't get no respect (like the Yamaha riders)? I think to each his own.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi folks,
Ive been lurking around and trying to find a course/field to go shoot my dads new Parker Terminator 175lber.
Ive been practicing my Bow shooting at Burnaby Archery field, but was notified that shooting my dads crossbow on that range is Illigal:confused:
I need some help here. Please confirm if that is true, if so where in LM I can practice shoot a crossbow.
Thank you very much,
Sam:-D

Cant see it being "illegal" but then again I have no idea what the Burnaby By-laws state ....

but could see the range not having insurance for it .. or making it their policy

I know that the Calgary Archery Center (that sells crossbows by the way ) could not allow them to be shot at their indoor range due as per their insurance carrier .... the Insurance guys stated because a Crossbow could be cocked and then set down... Al Southwood (CAC owner) had lenthy discussions with their current carrier at the time ... and has since switched carriers at a more pricey premium mind you ... and his sales has since almost doubled because one can now try it out ... buy it .. and go there to shoot in their 40 yard indoor range any time they want (there are rules of course ...the common sense ones that we all know ...draw while pointing down range etc..... the only one unique to Crossbowers is that once drawn a Bolt must be shot downrange or must be let down and bolt removed ...or to that effect anyway, not totally certain on the exact wording ....

It is well documented here and elsewhere that I am not a fan of Crossbows under the umbrella of "Archery" I do accept it in the eyes of the jurisdictional government, In this case British Columbia. I have never been opposed to crossbows to provide another avenue for those that cannot normally draw a (for lack of better word) Conventional bow and nor have I ever opposed it as another way to harvest animals, But have oppossed Crossbows in Archery seasons ... Mainly from my time in Alberta where the Archery seasons are extremly liberal (from the first wednesday after labour day untill Nov 1st) whereas the learning curve is fairly simple in my eyes and it encourages buddy to buy a Crossbow aug 31st (whitch by the way all owners I have talked to have seen a noticable sales increase in all equipment in the 2 weeks before any given season opens) thinking that harvesting is simple because its held like a rifle so it must shoot like a rifle ... mess up a shot wound a critter and giving all archers (whether it crossbow or otherwise a bad name)

If a crossbowyer (is that even a word???) wants to shoot competivly .... lets make a crossbow class (The IBO ...International Bowhunters Organization... has for all its sanctioned shoots... Eventullay I beleive the FCA ..Federation of Canadian Archers... will follow suit if they havent allready... someone that knows the FCA better than I as I have been detaached as of late can answer that) ... If ya wanna shoot for fun ... You are more than welcome in my group. At the FCA national outdoor Championship a few years back there was a crossbow class (but not sanctioned, it was a host club perogitive to have that class and I seem to recall there was 25 or so shooters out of almost 400 total)
I have no idea on the BCAA's ... BC Archery Assoc...stance is as again I have been detached a bit from the competive side the last couple years with various issues ..maybe someone in the Know (Ted , Steve, Chris all come to mind) could clarify this... I would assume that the BCAA would be onboard with Crossbows as they are considered legal Archery tackle in BC and therefore would be included in their insurance and therefore the Burnaby club should be included under that rider ...whitch leads me back to City of Burnaby Bylaws ....kind of a long way to come but there ya are ...

if there is no such by-law in Burnaby then its the clubs policy in whitch case should be amendend IMHO, because they are missing the boat on paying members of the public that wanna use the range(I assume you would buy a day pass if you were not a club member and wanna go shoot.)

Rectifier
04-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Supposedly crossbows are actually ILLEGAL in Burnaby itself. Not sure if it's discharge or even simple possession!?

I asked Ron about it awhile ago (got a friend with a bad shoulder, can't draw a compound) and he doesn't have a problem with xbows, but said it was a legal problem with Burnaby itself...

Riverjet
05-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I was in a gun shop recently and the guys were saying that the archery guys don't like the crossbow guys. A friend of mine got a little older and had some financial pressure so he sold his Harley and bought a Yamaha V Star. Now his riding buddies won't ride with him. They are just TOO COOL. Is it true that cross bows don't get no respect (like the Yamaha riders)? I think to each his own.

I recently read somewhere that the archery hunting gang in Alberta is trying to prevent crossbows from being used for deer hunting. I'm not sure exactly what the complete story on it is. Maybe someone else knows the whole story?

It's not good when hunters are fighting amongst themselves. We all must stick together no matter what methods we use to hunt that are legal.

mikeinajeep
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Jk Welcome to my world!!! It is hard to play with a crossbow around here, I shoot mine 2-3 hours aweek but have given up trying to go to ranges. I have a great target and a place to shoot but it took some doing. I know they will let you shoot indoors at semiamoo if you bring your own target.

Cdn-Redneck
05-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Supposedly crossbows are actually ILLEGAL in Burnaby itself. Not sure if it's discharge or even simple possession!?

I asked Ron about it awhile ago (got a friend with a bad shoulder, can't draw a compound) and he doesn't have a problem with xbows, but said it was a legal problem with Burnaby itself...

I think this comes from a young lady who was killed by a crossbow bolt at or near BCIT a number of years ago. I don't think they ever caught the shooter.

Centerfire
05-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Check out the PCDHFC (Port Coquitlam & District Hunting and Fishing Club) on Burke Mountain. They have a large outdoor archery course. Crossbows are allowed.

-Centerfire

huntwriter
05-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Reading this thread shows once again how widespread ignorance among the archery/bowhunting segment is. In a time when we should all come together to face the serious challenges ahead pertaining to hunting in general and bowhunting in particular we choose to segregate and discriminate each other. With backward behaviour like this it is no wonder that hunters keep loosing ground and clout. Sad, very sad.:cry:

huntwriter
05-02-2010, 10:50 AM
... But have oppossed Crossbows in Archery seasons ... Mainly from my time in Alberta where the Archery seasons are extremly liberal (from the first wednesday after labour day untill Nov 1st) whereas the learning curve is fairly simple in my eyes and it encourages buddy to buy a Crossbow aug 31st (whitch by the way all owners I have talked to have seen a noticable sales increase in all equipment in the 2 weeks before any given season opens) thinking that harvesting is simple because its held like a rifle so it must shoot like a rifle ...

You know I respect your opinions. But I am also old enough to know that the above statement, or very similar, was used against compound bows when they came onto the market. Back then I canceled my membership in a very large bowhunting organization because they wrote letters to government authorities with the aim to denounce compound bows and outlaw them for hunting. And look at it today. The compound bow is the number one choice of bowhunters. Incidentally, that same organization, obviously smelling the money, now fully endorses compound bows. heck they even wrote the rules on 3-D target tournaments. :roll:

As for the increase in crossbow sales, the same is true for compound bows. I agree with you that the "gun" label attached to crossbow, which has been heavily perpetrated by archery and bowhunting organizations in an effort to discredit crossbows, does give the impression that they are as easy to shoot as a rifle. Fact is however that a crossbow requires the same practice and hunting tactics as the compound bow, even the effectively of the crossbow is similar to that of the compound bow.

What bowhunters and their organizations do not realize is that this crossbow v. other bows is akin to digging their own grave. Bowhunter numbers keep falling as new people do not enter and older people retire because they can't pull the string any longer. However, I am confident, that should hunting last that long, in 10 to 15 years from now the crossbow WILL be replacing the compound bow as the number one choice for bowhunters. Look what happens in the archery industry. More and bow bow manufacturers include crossbows in their line ups. It won't take many years until we see a Matthew crossbow on the market, they already work on it in the design studio. You didn't hear that last bit from me.:wink:

jessbennett
05-02-2010, 11:39 PM
As for the increase in crossbow sales, the same is true for compound bows. I agree with you that the "gun" label attached to crossbow, which has been heavily perpetrated by archery and bowhunting organizations in an effort to discredit crossbows, does give the impression that they are as easy to shoot as a rifle. Fact is however that a crossbow requires the same practice and hunting tactics as the compound bow, even the effectively of the crossbow is similar to that of the compound bow.

However, I am confident, that should hunting last that long, in 10 to 15 years from now the crossbow WILL be replacing the compound bow as the number one choice for bowhunters. Look what happens in the archery industry. More and bow bow manufacturers include crossbows in their line ups. It won't take many years until we see a Matthew crossbow on the market, they already work on it in the design studio. You didn't hear that last bit from me.:wink:

Problem is for the most part, people dont spend the time to practice and learn the finer points of shooting the crossbow before going out to the woods and using the weapon. the vast majority of cross bow hunting going on is in part to the extra seasons eg. early elk in the kootenays and the whitetail season at the same time. i personally spoke to one of the sporting goods retailers down there and the had people showing up from the lower mainland purchasing a crossbow and heading out to the woods to hunt elk.

im not saying that EVERYONE who shoots a crossbow is this way. IM in NO way trying to lump ALL crossbow shooters together.heck theres lots of people shooting a compound or a recurve that have no business being in the woods trying to harvest an animal.
the reason crossbow sales have increased is 1. increased seasons
2. simple crossover from firearms to crossbow(eg. the weapon is mechanically held at full draw, scopes, the similarities in which the weapon is held, etc.) And 3. the notion that the crossbow is " easier" than say a compound or a recurve.

I think that saying just beacuse a particular bow manufacturer has a crossbow in its line up that it will replace the compound bow is silly. its simple marketing really. of course if p.s.e. puts out a crossbow, that darton may want their share of the pie. and then if ol mat mcpherson sees that darton and p.s.e are eating pie, he mite want some pie too. i mean technology and the industry are changing. i mean how long did we have to listen to mathews claiming that the solo cam was the best thing in the world? oh wait.............. whats the mathews monster?? or the rezen???? :wink:

jessbennett
05-02-2010, 11:46 PM
now look what weve done. we kinda threw this thread of course didnt we?

sorry to the original poster.:-D