PDA

View Full Version : Tanned hides

one-shot-wonder
04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Does anybody have any remedy or fix for taken the smell of a tannery off of a tanned hide? I got my wolf hide back from the tannery and I can't stand to have it in my living room, so it is hung in the storage room which is a real shame.
Would airing it out help?
Do Spray products damage the leather?

high and to the right
04-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Yup - air it out. Worked for me. They're just like a new carpet which is full of noxious fumes for the first while until it aires out. There's lots of chemicals in the tanning process. Some warmth, a gentle breeze and lots of space. If that doesn't work you can pm me and I'll store it for you or you can try fabreeze or perhaps another taxidermist has a better idea.

Fisher-Dude
04-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't spray anything on it. The chemmies are still working on your hide - patience, Grasshopper.

BCbillies
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM
She'll get used to it . . . just like your socks and underwear! :wink:

My wife has gotten used to the fresh smell of grizz hides. I find the odour most noticeable in the warm weather but after a year or so it goes away and all we notice is the beautiful rug! :-D

boxhitch
04-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Sounds like it should have been tumbled one more time.
Did you get a discount ?

Would airing it out help? Airing out your living room would never hurt

Stone Sheep Steve
04-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Ask your wife to put on a tonne of your favorite perfume, wrap the wofl hide around her neck and take her out for a night on the town. Repeat nightly for two straight weeks. She will learn to like the wolf.:wink:

What tanning process was used?? I've found that I like the smell of Easy100 better than Lutan(sp?).

SSS

one-shot-wonder
04-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds like it should have been tumbled one more time.
Did you get a discount ?
Airing out your living room would never hurt

I did get a discount. But only because I have a connection and ca$h talks.

I will finish tumbling it then next time the wife dries the laundry.

one-shot-wonder
04-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Ask your wife to put on a tonne of your favorite perfume, wrap the wofl hide around her neck and take her out for a night on the town. Repeat nightly for two straight weeks. She will learn to like the wolf.:wink:

What tanning process was used?? I've found that I like the smell of Easy100 better than Lutan(sp?).

SSS

Prudent advise from a warrior marriage veteran......duly noted.

Not sure the type of tanning process was used, a typical throw rug done just north of town.