GRH

Mr. Friendly
04-19-2010, 07:35 PM
OK OK I know no ones going to give me thier favorite spot
I am just looking for some MU's around George area to go moose hunting
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
GRH
read the new LEH synopsis...see where they have them laid out and those are spots Moose will be found.

moosecaller
04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
MU 7-10,7-09,7-07 oh and 7-24 they have moose in them and they are around PG.

jml11
04-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Seriously, all the MUs around Prince George have good densities of moose. There really isn't one that is any better than the other as there are so-called honey holes in each one. I put in for a different MU every year and I am a local. As long as you are putting yourself into good moose habitat (readily available in every MU) and have a bit of luck, you should find moose regardless of the MU you choose.

BCrams
04-19-2010, 07:57 PM
MU 7-10,7-09,7-07 oh and 7-24 they have moose in them and they are around PG.

He forgot 7-06, 7-08, 7-11, 7-12, 7-15, 7-16 etc ...

For what its worth, I've taken moose out of 7-08, 7-09, 7-10, 7-11, 7-12, 7-13, 7-15, 7-24 without too much effort. Mind you though, the majority were calf moose taken during calf season with a few spike / two pointers tossed in the mix. Great eats!!

Jelvis
04-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd try any moose leh in 7-07 every year til I got it...beauty area

todbartell
04-19-2010, 08:01 PM
north west south east, fly'at'r

moosinaround
04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I was in 7-24 today and seen 1 moose, crossed into 7-14 and seen 1 moose. We shot 2 LEH bulls in 7-15 last year. I have shot numerous calf moose in 7-10, 7-13, and 7-12. PG has the moose, now come on up and find one for yourself!! PM me when you are coming up and I will point you into a more specific direction. Moosin

ROEBUCK
04-19-2010, 08:35 PM
seen 5 moose this week,in 7,12
1 bull
1cow/calf
1 tick infested skinny moose
1 moose feeding in a swamp from the highway
lots of moose out around pg,but lots of hunting pressure during the season,
with 2 point/calf restrictions,unless you get a l,e,h
not a guarantee to be successful.
about time they relaxed the restrictions in my mind.
the area is overrun with moose and yet still heavely regulated!cant understand why?

killman
04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Don't let these guy pull your leg, there are no moose around PG. Vanderhoof is where you want to be, lots of moose there.

tomahawk
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
All MU's around PG have moose including within the city limits

todbartell
04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Don't let these guy pull your leg, there are no moose around PG. Vanderhoof is where you want to be, lots of moose there.

nice try. We all drive 3 hrs to hunt north of PG :mrgreen:

silvertipp
04-19-2010, 11:39 PM
try looking out around the black water fsr lots of moose and cuts out there

moosecaller
04-20-2010, 06:07 AM
try looking out around the black water fsr lots of moose and cuts out there

Also it's a very good chance you will run into someone from the lowermainland, reunion time.

carnivore
04-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Try calling the Prince George City Hall and ask to speak to " Mr. PG" he has always been a good resource for hunting information.:twisted:

GRH
04-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks to the one's that actually helped.To all the others ,next time dont type anything!!!

peashooter
04-20-2010, 06:21 PM
wow. you ask for moose spots in pg and some people joke with ya. what did you expect.

Paulyman
04-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I would suggest 7-14, but my uncle and i shot the very last one last year.

The Dawg
04-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks to the one's that actually helped.To all the others ,next time dont type anything!!!

Try posting more than 20 times in a year before asking for information about peoples hunting areas and you might get a better response.

BCBRAD
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
if you are a good shot at 100yds, fine, if you are a good shot at 200yds you 4X'd your area. west of Burns lake is good and also have some of the best mule deer in BC

Model 94 30-30
04-20-2010, 09:32 PM
7-16 good hunting

elkdom
04-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Try posting more than 20 times in a year before asking for information about peoples hunting areas and you might get a better response.

easy on the nu-guy Noahpuppy !:wink:,,,

lets see ?? oh yah! try Hwy 97 and the BCR Rail-line!

ps, watch out for car and trains!:wink:

GRH
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I appreciate each and every post.

GRH
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Why would the # of my posts matter?
I'm just asking a simple question.I'm not asking for the 3rd rock,by the stream on the south side.
Just general info on MU's....I'll stay away from the gold stake...I promise

Jelvis
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Another good one is Mu 7-09 Willow river west from the Willow River road system from Hwy 97 @ Buckhorn, Red Rock, and roads between Red Rock and Hixon try Leh here can't go wrong if you get one ... If you can't get a moose here, hang up the ole shooting iron ...Willy

GRH
04-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks Jelvis

ve7iuq
04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Why would the # of my posts matter?
I'm just asking a simple question.I'm not asking for the 3rd rock,by the stream on the south side.
Just general info on MU's....I'll stay away from the gold stake...I promise

The oldest adage going, about prospecting for gold, is, "Gold is where you find it."
The same thing could be said about hunting for moose.
Regarding this low number of postings thing. Some regulars who frequent this blog, and other hunting type threads, think a person with a low posting count, is a rank amateur, therefore it is fine to poke the fun at him and by no means don't pay any attention to any information he gives.
Fortuneately, there are also a great many fine people on any of these threads, who realize a very experienced hunter, shooter and outdoorsman, may by just starting out on these places and are willing to learn from him.

blackwater moose
04-22-2010, 10:09 AM
try 7-10,7-11or 7-12, find a good game trail or swamp, do some callin and sittin

moosecaller
04-22-2010, 03:54 PM
. Some regulars who frequent this blog, and other hunting type threads, think a person with a low posting count, is a rank amateur, therefore it is fine to poke the fun at him and by no means don't pay any attention to any information he gives.

I don't think dawg or anyone else was poking fun because of amateur status in regards to the number of posts, this is a community that survives on sharing of information and when it appears people post just to expand their own knowledge base and not to help out others they can expect a certain amount of ribbing. Information flows both ways on these sites that is what keeps them going, I am sure the the OP has some information on his home turf or some expertice in some area that he could have shared more often than his post count would indicate, it's all about helping each other and giving back not just taking. In looking at the responses he got for the way his question was phrased he recieved the information he requested, moose hunting in all the MU's around PG is good and no MU has it too much over another. Good luck on your hunt and if you want more specific information on the areas PM me I would be more than happy to share with you.

CanuckShooter
04-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Another good one is Mu 7-09 Willow river west from the Willow River road system from Hwy 97 @ Buckhorn, Red Rock, and roads between Red Rock and Hixon try Leh here can't go wrong if you get one ... If you can't get a moose here, hang up the ole shooting iron ...Willy

Or you can go a little east from there and hunt the Bowron river drainage...lots of good moose hunting around there both north and south of hwy16.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/moose5.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4062&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=505)
This is 7-09 across the WR from our house in 7-07.....

Long bow
04-23-2010, 09:15 AM
As most of the posters have eluded to, put your time in a good looking area, and you will find em, cause they are there. Having said that..here's some wisdome from a guy who lived out at Baldy Hughes in the late 70's, early eighties..It was a wonderful place, so many moose, we had names for em, and if you got a cow LEH..you just picked the day when you wanted to harvest one. I worked a trap line around Mackenzie lakes, and the old fire tower, on my days off from the base.. I remember days that you could go out and see moose every day...but..when the big guy upstairs throws the switch...they would disappear, and we could go a week and not see a thing, sign sure, but no critters. And this was before ATV's an such so we did everything by canoe and on foot on game trails..suddenly, he'd throw the switch..and moose were every where again. I shot my first moose out behind Lynx lake back then..Well I went back last year, and what a shocker...the timber thats been taken out was mind bogglin..but, thats ok I guess, cause it opened a lot of areas. Mulies were everywhere, we had a few back then, but not the numbers that are there are now. Grouse wore helmets and flak jackets and were real spooky. The day before calf season, it wasnt safe for man or beast on the back roads..Trucks, trailers, ATV's, were racing around on most main roads...One camp at Punchaw lake had 13 hunters..Thats just one camp, and all had ATV's. You couldnt sit on a high ground anywhere with out the drone of roadhunters..its quite a change from the old days..having babbled about all that..lots of moose were harvested. Maybe its the math, more hunters, more moose taken..I duhno...I guess like most things, its just not like the old days. I didnt find the road hunters as curtious..it was a race everyday, it seemed, for guys to cover as much ground as possible. Even though we were way back in..the same trucks, knowing we were in there, kept coming by every day, clearly disturbing our hunt..We never used to do that. And sadly, as when they first opened the immature bull season in the early eighties..we found bulls shot by the road side and left because they had one or more to many tines..The shoot first and see what we got tactic is still alive and well.
Now, having rambled on long enough, it still remains beautiful country, and with time in the bush, and a little luck, you should do ok or at least see something..Just my rambling 2 cents..

ve7iuq
04-23-2010, 09:25 PM
"I guess like most things, its just not like the old days"

Sorry, but I think the good old days were long gone by the 1970s. You should have seen how nice it was down the Blackwater road before the air base was built, right over the road. I can't remember the exact year it was built, but would be about 1952, or there abouts.

ThinAir
04-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Calf season around PG would make a great reality TV show:mrgreen:

Ohhh...the drama.

Riverratz
04-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Ohhh...the drama.

X 2. Qualifies for the old "Gong Show" on TV. Most of us just sit it out at home and wait for the madness and idiocy to end. What a performance, where do these clowns come from????? MOE should just cut the cow/calf season completely, wouldn't bother me a bit.

Tenacious Billy
04-23-2010, 11:36 PM
X 2. Qualifies for the old "Gong Show" on TV. Most of us just sit it out at home and wait for the madness and idiocy to end. What a performance, where do these clowns come from????? MOE should just cut the cow/calf season completely, wouldn't bother me a bit.

X3 - Hahahaha!!! Surprisingly, I think they come from all corners of the province.

moosinaround
04-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Ohhh...the drama.
Ya know it is funny, I hunt the moose/calf season very near PG in 7-12b. I can go out and not bump into another hunter in the "bush". Sure I see lots on the road in and out, but when I am in "Tonto Mode" actually hunting, never hardly see another person!! I have a fairly respectable record when it comes to harvesting moose, and mule deer, almost all within a 100km radius of the city! Now ELK on the other hand is a different story!! Moosin

BCrams
04-24-2010, 08:29 AM

Ohhh...the drama.

X3 - Hahahaha!!! Surprisingly, I think they come from all corners of the province.

Sounds like you guys don't know how to avoid the crowds during calf season. :-D

The calf season is very sustainable and viable for a healthy moose population in this region and I welcome all out of towners to the region. You won't find a NIMBY attitude here.

ryanhuntslots
04-24-2010, 09:12 AM
calf season gives me the time around home to get everything ready for winter, the number of guys/gals in the bush is one thing, but just trying to get down the fsr without some near misses is another,

MichelD
04-24-2010, 09:32 AM
I was in 7-11 during the calf season last year as my buddy had a cow draw and we thought we'd have a chance at a cow and a calf.

Sure, like anywhere else in the province, people come from all over, it's B.C. hunting licence after all, and it wasn't too crowded during the week, but on the weekend, day-trippers from Quesnel were so thick on the roads it was like the demolition derby at the PNE.

308Lover
04-24-2010, 11:01 AM
When you get here you will see all your friends from Van Isle and Lower Mainland. Just ask them where to go. I've already told them once or twice.

ThinAir
04-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Sounds like you guys don't know how to avoid the crowds during calf season. :-D

The calf season is very sustainable and viable for a healthy moose population in this region and I welcome all out of towners to the region. You won't find a NIMBY attitude here.

Don't worry...I know how to avoid crowds. I'm talking about all the crazy stuff in hunting camps, main FSR's and such. When the bush goes from zero to sixty in a few hours starting mid October it gets interesting:-D

I still think it would make good TV:mrgreen:

Jelvis
04-24-2010, 08:00 PM
MU 7-15 - Fair moose hunting and is a winner choice mu for moose hunters from PG for sure .. access from Reid Lake road which leaves highway 16 about 39 km west, of Prince George ..
Boat access along lower reaches of Stuart River, and boat access from Nechako River. Several access roads turn north from Hwy 16 between Prince George and Reid Lake turn-off.
Access to northern portion of 7-15 from Teardrop road system from Ft. St. James, which connects up with Hwy 97 about 25 km north of Prince George.
Try Taginchill Area .. Shamrock and Chief lake area go for LEH early mooses
jELvi$ ... MU 7-15 PG west is a beauty moose spot .. Chief Lake way ..Shamrock .. Taginchill Got Moose?

moosinaround
04-25-2010, 07:26 AM
calf season gives me the time around home to get everything ready for winter, the number of guys/gals in the bush is one thing, but just trying to get down the fsr without some near misses is another,
Yup it is crazy in and around the roads!! Lots of quads put-puttin around! It is fun though to be watching a moose and have other hunters drive right past!! Moosin

pitbell
04-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Sounds like you guys don't know how to avoid the crowds during calf season. :grin:

BCrams,
not even you can avoid the crowds during the calf season. :mrgreen:

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 10:19 AM
MU 7-17
Prince George Northeast
..............................+
Here's an LEH place or gos look it up in the leh syn check 7-17 for LEH validation ..
7-17 lies along the north bank of the Fraser River bounded by the McGregor River on the northeast to the Morkill River along the southwest
Good moose hunting
Some access from McGregor River road from Hwy 97.
River access best from Fraser.
Note: Watch for rapids on Fraser, particularly along the northwest section.
Bonus: Lots of black bear
Try Walker Creek
Morkill
Fraser
jElvi$
MU 7-17 ... PeeeeG Northeast .. Good moose ..

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
MU 7-10
Prince George Southwest
................................+
Access from Hwy 16 via Blackwater road, 7 km west of Prince George.
Extensive access over Westlake roads system.
Fair moose hunting (away) from roads
Bonus: Fair deer
Jelne$$
MU 7-10 PG southwest

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Last but certainly (Not) least is the twins
MU's 7-11 and 7-12
Naltesby Lake
Large system of roads connects with the Black water system ..how?
...By turning onto the Bobtail road only 54 km west of Prince George on Hwy 16
Fair to good moose hunting, some deer.
Access also to 7-11 from Bednesti Lake 45 km west of PG on Hwy 16, via Norman Lake road.
a few little wabbit and grouse..
Jelly Belly Bean Bagzz-pgrocksfor-moosehunting.ca.phd.da.fbi.

BCrams
04-25-2010, 12:00 PM
BCrams,
not even you can avoid the crowds during the calf season. :mrgreen:

Sure can!!! My father and I get our calf moose every year we don't get a bull moose draw and sometimes the odd spike / fork bull.

Now in some respects you are correct. The main gravel road systems are as busy as anything but as soon as you get quarter mile or more off these roads, there's no one. Thats why it is so nice that we have the ATV restriction for the AM.

pnbrock
04-25-2010, 01:17 PM
i had the region 7 bull draw once ,drove there to only shoot an imature fork bull go figure.

barry1974w
04-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Getting to Reid lake road from highway 16...... Bit of a river in the way.

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Try the Chief Lake road behind the gas station into Taginchill and Shamrock you will see moose galore and local hunting groups along the road into but hey keep looking and you'll see em in there cuz PG has moose galore...

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
MU 7-6 .......... Like moose meat? ....... . . . Willow - Bowron Rivers ...
""""""""""
You get in the hunting by the Willow River road from highways 97, 16 or from Hwy 16 on Bowron road. Poor moose hunting off Bowron road, fair to good moose hunting from Willow River (south) road. Lots of frenetic hunting action ..
Jel - (Action) Jackson MU 7-6 Willow - Bowron Rivers .. Fill your quiver ..
Try Haggen Creek

ThinAir
04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
MU 7-6 .......... Like moose meat? ....... . . . Willow - Bowron Rivers ...
""""""""""
You get in the hunting by the Willow River road from highways 97, 16 or from Hwy 16 on Bowron road. Poor moose hunting off Bowron road, fair to good moose hunting from Willow River (south) road. Lots of frenetic hunting action ..
Jel - (Action) Jackson MU 7-6 Willow - Bowron Rivers .. Fill your quiver ..
Try Haggen Creek

Whatever you do, do not drift the willow downstream from Hwy 16. You will die.

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Moose learn to avoid roads and the ones that don't get scarcer every year lol ..
MU 7-8
Hixon-Ahbau Lake
Hixon is on Hwy 97, 60 km south of Prince George good MU for moose
Access Willow river road system
At Hixon road and Terry creek and from Ahbau Creek road 25 km south of Hixon
Moose and some deerskies ....
Jelly ( Sweet Breads ) Head Cheese

DevilDog77
04-25-2010, 06:46 PM
it was a race everyday, it seemed, for guys to cover as much ground as possible.

Get out and cover as much ground as you can. The swamp donkeys are everywhere, If you cant find one in PG or northern BC, take up a new sport.

Jelvis
04-25-2010, 07:31 PM
MU 7-7
Good moose along Bowron River north of Hwy 16

Willow River .. You want very good moose or what? Speak up or for ever ole thy piece .. uh
You got it!
................> Willow River has willows so
.... access from Hwy 16 along the Willow River road which leaves Hwy 16 about 37 km east of Prince George. .. I can't believe I'm telling you this ..
Also reached from Buckhorn, 15 km south of PG on Hwy 97, and from Stoner, 30 km south of Prince on 97.
Can be very good moose here with fine access roads and the kicker
Bonus extra ... good rabbit and fat tender grouse everywhere ... POW!
Jelly Hydro Mu 7-7 Willow River Rocks in from Stoner 30 km south of Peeeg ... Be there or be totally square

CanuckShooter
04-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Whatever you do, do not drift the willow dowstream from Hwy 16. You will die.

You cannot stress that tidbit of information enough. There is also a log jam spanning the willow river downstream from the Beaver FSR...you'll have to portage if you try to drift that section.

Jelly where you getting your info?? You don't mention the giant elk on the bowron??:wink: Is it a secret spot your holding back???

Jelvis
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
NOTE: Region 7 ... MUs 7,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,24 and 25 are hunted big time by local sports people ..

moosinaround
04-26-2010, 01:11 PM
NOTE: Region 7 ... MUs 7,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,24 and 25 are hunted big time by local sports people ..
You forgot mu's 16, 17, and 18 as well!! The 7a MU is actually hunted harder than any MU's in the entire province!! Just stand at the highway 16/97 junction around september 9th and watch all the riggin role by!! But I hear the Kooteneys will be like that this fall for ELK!!! Moosin

moosetaken
04-30-2010, 10:39 AM
There are moose in every direction from PG, the trick is finding an area with less road warriors. I've hunted most every place around here and there are moose in all of them. I admit to being a hunting slut, I'll hunt anywhere, with anyone for anything so I don't play favorites.

Jelvis
04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Who likes beaver dams, and good hunting for swamp donkeys (moose)
MU 7-14
Great Beaver
Access from Fort St. James along Teardrop forest service road.
Fair to good moose hunting pardner ..
Using the waterways of the PG country for transportation opens up lots of good hunting country where the success ratio can be high.
This mu has part of the Salmon river also
You gotta moose on your mind?
Jel ( tacos, fettacheenie, lingweenie, martini, tortaleenie bikini ..) Bull moose ..Leave it to Beaver lol

300wsmXboltKiller
04-30-2010, 05:58 PM
7-5 if you want a big bull :) 61 inches came out of there last year i here mine was only 54 :(

italhunter
04-30-2010, 06:20 PM
There are no moose in 7-10. Don't believe anyone who says otherwise.

Jelvis
04-30-2010, 07:15 PM
MU 7-5
McBride - Slim Creek
The Bell Mountain road, 5 km northwest of McBride runs back into fair moose country. From there along Hwy 16 to Slim Creek, fair to good moose hunting is found via hike-ins or a few short access roads.
Note: No shooting for 0.4 km on either side of the highway. ? meters take a tape measure lol
This is generally quite heavily wooded with a mix of cedar, spruce, hemlock and fir with some logged over land.
Some grouse to shoot as well hunter. Don't shoot the wood peckers lol ..
jElvi$ .. McBride to Slim Creek for a peek...Zeek try the Milk River area.
Milk it..lol..also Slim Creek will make you fat with good moose meat shish ka bobs lol ...Mmmmyah

Jelvis
05-01-2010, 01:33 PM
This unit is a good one but hey try leh and if you get it...Luck of the draw!
MU 7-3
Holmes River North
Hwy 5 joins Hwy 16
@ Tete Jaune Cache
Hunting starts here lol.. About 15 km west of the juntion, a road up the Small River runs back, Patty wack through fair moose hunting and yes, mule deer, Mr. Man. Carry on another 6 km west from here and see the Horsey River road runs northeast from Hwy 16, some moose and deer. At 53 km west of the Tete Jaune Junction, a road northwest runs beside the Holmes River into fair moose, goat and grizzly hunting areas, growl lol.
You can view goats from this road too at a certain point.
On the north side of the mighty Fraser river, 18 km north of McBride, the McKale Creek and the East Twin roads follow those streams (fields of dreams lol)
Fair moose and goat hunting from McKale; moose from East Twin(see regulation for goat closure).
Northwest of McBride, access roads drop down from Hwy 16 to the mighty Fraser River. Don't shiver lol. Good moose and deer along this
...S..t..r..e..t..c..h..> by boat, awesome moose and deer with some of the larger tributaries such as the famous Morkill navigable BAM! At least for short distances.
Jelly..( MoreKill River) lol, C'mon man do it once in your life .. Get your goat too!
MU 7-3 ... Holmes River North ...Fill your quiver... dress warm and dry ... moose liver?
POW! Big Bull Down .. Billy got your GOAT! .. 13 inch goats? ... Fields of Dreams ... Clear Streams ... ..