PDA

View Full Version : Bears & Hiking

Woodpile
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi All,

I love to hunt, but I also love to hike. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of an area where I can hike in say 20 or 25 km for bear at the end of May. I'm not asking for any specific spot, but just an area in region 2 or western parts of 3 or 8. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Not to knock your plan but.....
20-25 km walk for bears? are you CRAZY?
sorry :)

Kirby
04-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Have you ever shot a bear? A decent sized black bear has alot of meat on it... your in for one hell of a trip 20km with a 150lbs + pack minimum.

If your looking for a hike in hunt I can give you some pointers but it sure ain't gonna be 20km.

Barracuda
04-19-2010, 12:45 PM
dragging a bear a km in bush is a nasty tough experiance. even dragging one on a logging road is tough enough with two people over a long distance. You do realize that you have to take the meat right? it isnt as if all you have to pack out is a skin (which is also pretty heavy especially with the skull) .

BCBear
04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Don't forget the fur slips real easily on BBs if they're left out in the warm

boxhitch
04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Hiking 20 k. for a bear hunt isn't a bad idea, if you can get a vehicle closer when needed to retrieve the critter.
A 20k. hike on any logging road giving access to some blocks and slashes is nothing different than getting in via vehicle, just a tad slower. Probably will be more productive because of the increased viewing time. Pay attention to the wet areas, the low draws not seen from the road.
Hunting will be low level, no alpine ridges are free of snow yet.

Woodpile
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM
haha...ya i know i have to take the meat and it will be heavy. I have 3 other guys i normally hike with that i was going to bring along. Even at that i admit 20k may still be a tad long.

04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Do your two friends know you are bringing them as mules?
haha
sorry for the tough time have fun

Woodpile
04-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Oh yea, they know. It's nice to experience new things with friends even if it is hard work. We all made it to the top of Mount Rainier so I figure this shouldn't be too bad.

BlacktailStalker
04-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Shoot a bear off the road with your first tag.
Then decide if you want to shoot another one any further back than the first one was.
Just keep forgetting things when you walk in to get your bear, then you can hike back and forth as many times as you want and you wont be faced with the thoughts of leaving the bear in the bush with 19.5kms to go.

proguide66
04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Come up to Whistler , hike up the mountain , wack one..if its too heavy jump on the gondola with it and have lunch at the Dublin Gate !..shoot one beside Macdonalds with your second tag !!:mrgreen:

shadow1982
04-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Oh yea, they know. It's nice to experience new things with friends even if it is hard work. We all made it to the top of Mount Rainier so I figure this shouldn't be too bad.

True freinds, mind if i can borrow them, i heard mules are very costly. LOL :mrgreen:

Alpine85
04-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Woodpile, that sounds like something my friends and I would do. I say go for it and have a hell of a time!!!.You have to remember, some people on hbc excercise level while hunting is walking off the road to shit.
Terry

Big Lew
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I shot a large, fat black bear high up and about 3 kms. beyond the last logging road at the north end of sylvester many years ago....won't do it again. I had to cut it in half and ended up making 4 relay trips out. As earlier mentioned, the hide and skull were very slippery and heavy, and it was all I could do to pack that load through the twisted, wind-swept brush, and up the near-vertical ridges. I was very used to hiking and packing in the mountians at that time, but I've never had such burning lungs as I did that day. Once on the de-comissioned logging road, I stashed everything and went out and brought back my wife, young daughter, and a wheelbarrow. It took me about 12 hours, 9 of it hard labour. Perhaps with a couple of buddies, it wouldn't have been such an ordeal.

.330 Dakota
04-19-2010, 08:21 PM
haha...ya i know i have to take the meat and it will be heavy. I have 3 other guys i normally hike with that i was going to bring along. Even at that i admit 20k may still be a tad long.

I d have to say its about 19.5 km too long

urbanhermit
04-19-2010, 08:33 PM
its all about the adventure, get out and do it while you still can. Stay within your limitations and go make a story you can tell your grand kids.

Camp Cook
04-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Do your 20 klm hike in and on the hike back out shoot the bear where you can get a wheel barrow/ATV/vehicle in to it.

That will make everyone happy... :mrgreen:

Dirty
04-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Find a road that is gated. Hike the road until you shoot a bear. When you get back to the truck think about how much easier it would have been if you chose a road without a gate.:mrgreen:

BromBones
04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Don't listen to the guys saying it's too far, etc., just go do it. Hard work never hurt anyone. You'll either have a great trip, or have the worst time of your life and never do it again, but you don't know 'til you try.

One of my favorite areas for black bears is a 15 k hike with part of it on snowshoes depending on when you go. Have to pack the bear out and go back for the camp & gear. Do-able, just takes time.

De-bone the meat, and be sure to clean skin the hide as best you can, keeping the fat & meat on the carcass. Also, cape out the head when you get the hide off, and carve any meat you can off of the skull. Every little bit helps when you're packing that far.

bruin
04-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Good advice BromBones.

Big Lew
04-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Another thing to consider....I shot that big, fat bear in october, it was still hot up high during the days, so the bugs and flies were terrible. For some reason they are attracted to bear meat and hide far greater then deer carcass. Having all those distractions while struggling through boulders etc. can drive you nuts. If you're able, better to go later when it's cold, or early in the spring before the bugs.