PDA

View Full Version : Bufoons in the west Koots. Gobble

sfire436
04-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow, lost a lot of respect for our brotherhood as I went for the turkey opener in eastern region 8. Lets see........ some ****** on an ATV got off his quad only to shoot a turkey that a foot hunter had been calling in. Thing was the guy on the quad did not look at blasted his pellets feet from the other hunter. The hunter was so shook up he went fishing for the rest of his trip. I hiked in everywhere and set up decoys only to hear quad after quad putting around only to stop to make a cluck. Get off your damn quads people! Oh yeah and some yahoos decided to park their quads RIGHT next to my old mans truck, only to walk into the same area, actually walk pass my father and then shoot a gobbler. Complete jerks.

The place was a zoo with hunters. I mean thats fine we are all able to hunt where we like but have some respect and get off your quads. You guys give us a bad name.

RANT!

04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Was the guy who was calling in the turkey in cammo? Was he hiding?
mabye the guy on the quad did not see him in his cammo? Mabye the guy should set up somewhere not beside a road.
Maybe you should find somewhere not so close to a road or less busy.

No excuse for parking beside a truck and going into the same area though.

trapperRick
04-19-2010, 10:50 AM
I have had the same thing happen to me all set up in a blind or hunting in spot and someone will walk up say hello/or park and then instead of leaving me to hunt they will just keep on doing what they want to regardless of the fact that I am there ahead of them ,,no manners or respect for another hunter already set up. Also I am not one to say people can't do this or can't do that not big on rules but quads hunters are starting to get to me, I was parked on a small old logging road and started to walk nice and quiet/slow and two quad hunters pulled up said hello I told them I was alone and going to walk up the road just to see what may be up there and they said good luck and then just drove right past me up the road I was going to walk up, ruined my whole day/plan.

Fisher-Dude
04-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I mean thats fine we are all able to hunt where we like but have some respect and get off your quads. You guys give us a bad name.

RANT!

So, someone who hunts differently from you is wrong? Someone who enjoys putting along down a logging road hunting gives us a bad name?

I think you're giving us a bad name by thinking your method of hunting is somehow better than someone else's. Get off the road if you don't want to see other road hunters (yes, you're a road hunter).

sfire436
04-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Its one thing to use it to get where you are going, its truly another to just ride around all day. Yeah I know its legal and all that but if we want people to see us as the true outdoorsmans we all should be, having every second hunter bombing around on a quad all day looking to shoot something does not help our cause.

And Fisher Dude, get off both your quad and your high horse.

04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
There is nothing wrong with bombing around on a quad all day.
if i had one i would do it, and yes with a gun out hunting. Not the only way i would hunt. Riding a quad is fun. If they stay on roads or trails they are supposed to, so what. I can understand it when quads are in the alpine etc. But just because you dont think it is the way people should hunt doesnt mean they have to listen.
Road hunter vs foot hunter arguement is getting old. If you dont want to see people driving get away from the road.

Browningridge
04-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Ya parking next to your fathers truck that is pretty bad ,but ive been there.But as far as the folks driving around on quads thats how some people like to hunt,ive done it myself i also walk and sit depending on the situation,sometimes i drive my quad past others to where my tree stand is.We cant be condeming the fellas that hunt with thier trucks or quads,each to thier own,we will always as hunters in this age have to run the risk of being in a spot and have another hunter stumble across that same area...

boxhitch
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Wow, lost a lot of respect for our brotherhood .........Doesn't take much to set you off now, does it ?
Seems even the road hunters are divided.
Simply parking a truck doesn't convey intentions nor does it stake a claim to an area.
But the upside is you obviously picked the right spot, all the turkeys were there.

sfire436
04-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Well I suppose I am the odd man out then. Not too proud to admit that. Keep riding your quads and happy hunting then. I just think hunting in general has moved from the tradition of long hikes in the woods to driving around on 10,000 dollar quads all day. I think it's a shame.

Anyways we did get one Turkey on the opener.

04-19-2010, 01:03 PM
You arent the od man out otherwise the "road hunt vs still hunt"
arguement wouldnt keep coming up.

Just like fly fishermen are "superior" to gear fishermen.

To each their own, And as soon as you let it go it wont spoil yor day out.

Slee
04-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Wow, lost a lot of respect for our brotherhood as I went for the turkey opener in eastern region 8. Lets see........ some ****** on an ATV got off his quad only to shoot a turkey that a foot hunter had been calling in. Thing was the guy on the quad did not look at blasted his pellets feet from the other hunter. The hunter was so shook up he went fishing for the rest of his trip. I hiked in everywhere and set up decoys only to hear quad after quad putting around only to stop to make a cluck. Get off your damn quads people! Oh yeah and some yahoos decided to park their quads RIGHT next to my old mans truck, only to walk into the same area, actually walk pass my father and then shoot a gobbler. Complete jerks.

The place was a zoo with hunters. I mean thats fine we are all able to hunt where we like but have some respect and get off your quads. You guys give us a bad name.

RANT!

sounds like the quad hunters did better then you guys???? I am like you and rather hike in to areas and will never own a quad. But when i hike into an area I usually try to stay away from the roads / road hunters. thats the point of hiking. We need to stop bitching each other out. unless someone is breaking the law then suck it up and hike to a spot that they cant drive to.

jessbennett
04-19-2010, 01:24 PM
You arent the od man out otherwise the "road hunt vs still hunt"
arguement wouldnt keep coming up.

Just like fly fishermen are "superior" to gear fishermen.

To each their own, And as soon as you let it go it wont spoil yor day out.

problem is time in and time out, the kootenays is a $hit show when it comes to quads. its pretty hard to get off the beaten path when quads just start bush wacking off of trails. they just start plowing through the bush making an absolute racket. driving around on quads road hunting is one thing. but man stick to the trails and roads.

04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
problem is time in and time out, the kootenays is a $hit show when it comes to quads. its pretty hard to get off the beaten path when quads just start bush wacking off of trails. they just start plowing through the bush making an absolute racket. driving around on quads road hunting is one thing. but man stick to the trails and roads.

Exactly why i said quads on roads are fine. Or for recovery in certain cases, like in a cut block.

i can totaly understand bushwacken is not good, but if the hunter is being ethical and legal then let him ride

OOBuck
04-19-2010, 01:34 PM
. I think it's a shame.

I think its a shame to lie in waiting and kill a harmless forest
creature that doesn't see you ride up to it on a quad..:mrgreen:

Browningridge
04-19-2010, 01:58 PM
i agree with 835,main roads for quadin is fine thats how i do it stay on the mains, i hunt with my quad and also do a heck of alot of walking,and quaddin and hunting is legal,so untill its not anymore we will all be sharing the woods with the quads....:-D

huntinnewbie
04-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Last fall my son was hunting. yes, on a quad, on the roads. he was planning on going up a certain deadend road and as he was about to turn up it another hunter came out on a quad. they exchnaged greetings and the other guy said he didn`t see a thing. My son figured there was no point in going up as the other hunter had just covered the area but then at the last minute changed his mind and went anyway. Guess what, he got a nice buck!
2 years ago hubby and i did the same thing and got a buck where the people we were with had checked numerous times that morning. And we were all on quads on the logging roads.
Wether your walking, riding in your truck or on a quad you just never know where a buck will show up.
I do agree that if you are going into an area and it`s obvious that someone else is hunting there that you should be gracious enough to find another area.

358mag
04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
If you think it was a gong show of quads + truck traffic with so called hunters showing little or no respect for other hunters,well you aint seen nothing yet!!!! Just wait for the GOS for elk in the West Kootenays it will be like a Macy's Day Parade compared to your Turkey hunt!!!.But many on line will still call that a quality hunt.

mark
04-19-2010, 09:41 PM

RANT!

pretty weak rant! Why someone would set up and call on a road or quad trail is beyond me????

Why would you ask for everyone to get off their quads to hunt....then the bush would be busy with hiker-hunters????

I wish everyone would hunt on quads all the time....then the bush would be all mine! :-D

I hunted the same town you did opening day.....never met a soul on my hike! :-D

GoatGuy
04-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Didn't see any hunters. Turkeys though...................................

peashooter
04-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I just lost respect for you.

aggiehunter
04-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Maybe some braniac will figure out soon enough we shouldn't be hunting turkeys with high velocity .17s...wont' be long boys until someone get's er'. Oh I am so sorry if I offended someones way of hunting...NOT! And I seen a pile of 'em too way off road.....tons of 'em way off the road...bagged out already with the recurve. Only got my decoy shot once so that's not bad....little shoo goo and as good as new. I shouldn't complain cause a guy actually shot my duck decoys one day...could'nt really help but laugh....just glad to still be here and talk about it.

Ambush
04-19-2010, 10:26 PM
I used to think that I wanted to live in the Koots. Beautiful country, forests flush with game, sparkling waters teeming with fish and friendly, welcoming folks that all get along.

I used to think that.

Fisher-Dude
04-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Maybe some braniac will figure out soon enough we shouldn't be hunting turkeys with high velocity .17s...wont' be long boys until someone get's er'. Oh I am so sorry if I offended someones way of hunting...NOT! And I seen a pile of 'em too way off road.....tons of 'em way off the road...bagged out already with the recurve. Only got my decoy shot once so that's not bad....little shoo goo and as good as new. I shouldn't complain cause a guy actually shot my duck decoys one day...could'nt really help but laugh....just glad to still be here and talk about it.

Good chance that some assmunch with a recurve will stick your decoy too. Who shot your decoy? Some guy with a disabled permit, or a kid with a gun during a bow only turkey season? There's another thread on here about hunting myths. Pathetic bullshitter you are Ern.

huntwriter
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM

RANT!

Not to mention all the trespassers that shoot at turkeys in peoples yards. It is no wonder then that locals get so upset with hunters that they come running out of their yards with metal bars in hand to chase the hunters away. It happened on the same day that the hunter you mention got shot at by that idiot on the quad and when he realized what he had done he just run away.

A father with two young kids was approached by an angry local and threatened in front of the kinds. The two boys where pretty shaken up when they returned to camp. Personally I was shocked how selfish and dangerous some so called hunters behaved without a shred of concern for others.

Quite a few hunters left camp early because they where sick and tired of the "zoo". Behaviour like that is real good advertising for hunters. Not!

What days where you there Sfire436? I didn't see you in camp and I thought I spoke to everyone.

huntwriter
04-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Was the guy who was calling in the turkey in cammo? Was he hiding?
mabye the guy on the quad did not see him in his cammo? Mabye the guy should set up somewhere not beside a road.
Maybe you should find somewhere not so close to a road or less busy.

No excuse for parking beside a truck and going into the same area though.

Maybe hunters should obey the law and not shoot out of vehicles and from running quads.

Maybe hunters should obey ethics and not shot at movement or before they have identified the animal as a legal target.

I have been there for one week and the behaviour I have witnessed bordered on disgusting and a disgrace to hunting. Personally I have never in my entire live seen anything like it. It was like someone opened the gates of the lunatic asylum.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-20-2010, 04:55 AM
Obviously, there's only one solution..........LEH:wink:.

SSS

Browningridge
04-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Maybe hunters should obey the law and not shoot out of vehicles and from running quads.

Maybe hunters should obey ethics and not shot at movement or before they have identified the animal as a legal target.

I have been there for one week and the behaviour I have witnessed bordered on disgusting and a disgrace to hunting. Personally I have never in my entire live seen anything like it. It was like someone opened the gates of the lunatic asylum.

I was unaware that every hunter that hunts from thier quad shoots off thier quad...since some people poach does that mean you poach????
Cause neither myself or any of my hunting partners have ever shot out of our vehicles....

04-20-2010, 07:35 AM

Well the way you say it H.W it sounds pretty bad. I dont see where I tryed to defend Idiots here, but it sounds like the place is full of them.
I just hate it when still hunters hate quad hunters who hate hikers who hate us. Maybe you misunderstood me

moosinaround
04-20-2010, 07:45 AM
I don't care how CRAZY you guys make it out to be in the Kootenys, I am still coming down for elk!!! So look out I am heading down and I will have a MINIMUM of 3 flats of BUDWEISER in cans!!!!:wink::twisted:

.330 Dakota
04-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Its one thing to use it to get where you are going, its truly another to just ride around all day. Yeah I know its legal and all that but if we want people to see us as the true outdoorsmans we all should be, having every second hunter bombing around on a quad all day looking to shoot something does not help our cause.

In some ways I agree, but as humans we usually speak before we think.
I dont unload the quad until game is on the ground(but thats me, I can walk and I am healthy) We do have people who are less fortunate, some with heart problems that like to hunt but cant walk anymore.
They should be able to enjoy the day as well, even if it means driving around all day.
Get off the trails if you want seclusion. Hike in and you wont see quads. These people have rights too.

Browningridge
04-20-2010, 08:03 AM
I don't care how CRAZY you guys make it out to be in the Kootenys, I am still coming down for elk!!! So look out I am heading down and I will have a MINIMUM of 3 flats of BUDWEISER in cans!!!!:wink::twisted:

OH OH now youve done it ,now this is going to turn into a debate about drinkin while hunting and such....well im going to beat you there with 4 flats of bud!!!!!!!!:-D

04-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Your the one!

yamadirt 426
04-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Quite a few hunters left camp early because they where sick and tired of the "zoo". Behaviour like that is real good advertising for hunters. Not!

Huntwriter did you just make a not joke? Awesome, I haven't heard one since Borat. Classic !!

moosinaround
04-20-2010, 08:17 AM
OH OH now youve done it ,now this is going to turn into a debate about drinkin while hunting and such....well im going to beat you there with 4 flats of bud!!!!!!!!:-D

Your the one!

Haa Haaa finally some folks with a little humour!! Lighten up folks!! It is supposed to be a sport, which is done for "FUN"!! Moosin

Paulyman
04-20-2010, 08:31 AM
this thread is going ok so far, don't let this happen to you :)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/25472_114350705251132_100000286083147_212821_19116 30_n.jpg

aggiehunter
04-20-2010, 08:41 AM
FD...mark my words..when your all nestled in with your decoy out and your camo'd out and a guy opens up from 100 metres away with his highpowered rimfire you'll know what it's like. Guys...it is possible to get away from the Quasbow hunters. Just be safe.

wetcoasthunter
04-20-2010, 08:50 AM
... the true outdoorsmans we all should be, having every second hunter bombing around on a quad all day looking to shoot something does not help our cause.

What was that about a high horse?? Applying your ideals of what it means to be a hunter onto others is pretty pompous, no?

Like others have said, get off the trails the quads can run on if you don't like it, shouldn't be too hard for a true outdoorsman like yourself.

GoatGuy
04-20-2010, 09:21 AM

I suppose the .17 might be a problem but it makes me wonder if the individual who shot at it was simply a moron. What kind of decoy, calling???

It is interesting that you're running into and seeing a 'pile' of people all over the place, how far is a 'way off road'? 50 yards?

Funny, the same people always having the same problems. I'm sure I'll see another hunter turkey hunting in the bush someday. Until that time just have to be content with seeing turkeys.

Phreddy
04-20-2010, 09:27 AM
In some ways I agree, but as humans we usually speak before we think.
I dont unload the quad until game is on the ground(but thats me, I can walk and I am healthy) We do have people who are less fortunate, some with heart problems that like to hunt but cant walk anymore.
They should be able to enjoy the day as well, even if it means driving around all day.
Get off the trails if you want seclusion. Hike in and you wont see quads. These people have rights too.

Amen.
Just because someone looks like they might be healthy doesn't mean that they are. I finally got a quad because I have trouble walking a lot, but I try not to screw up anyone elses hunt.
Keep in mind, too, a remark I've made on other occassions on this site that camo was invented to fool hunters because most game is colour blind. Odds are that the guy you are complaining about didn't even see you.
Let's try not to help the anti's divide and conquer us. We do what we do the way we do it because of free choice, and that's what the antis' don't want us to have.

hardnocks
04-20-2010, 09:58 AM
I totally agree with sfire436 and will not hunt turkeys anymore because of it...Just because its your legal right to ride around on you quad hunting turkeys. Is it your right to shoot someone decoys ? How many hunters are going to get shot before we learn some turkey hunting edicate...witch is DON`T SHOOT AT A TURKEY YOU HAVEN`T CALLED IN.

weatherby_man
04-20-2010, 10:12 AM
We do what we do the way we do it because of free choice, and that's what the antis' don't want us to have.

Thats a great quote right there.

Lone Ranger
04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I was up here opening day as well, seen a number of the guys mentioned. I stayed off the quad until the afternoon and then rode the roads (and found one old Teck Cominco mine to check out as well). It was an absolute gong show here, one guy got shot at. We were up religiously for the morning hunt, and didn't bother doing anything other than road hunting for the rest of the day because it was safer. All it did was spook the turkeys to the point that they wandered south back towards the border area, and left the original area everyone was hunting. We're still up here puttering around, and there's still lots of turkeys out and thankfully its a lot quieter now.

I went for a quiet afternoon quad ride Friday I think it was, and accidentally stumbled across a guy setup 3' off the road, I tried riding through as quietly as any quad can because I was headed to the bottom of the cut block to find the old mine tramway, and guys were still yelling at us for riding along the road. I definitely won't bother hunting this area again during season opener, a lot of really good guys to talk to but definitely a lot of aholes as well.. and the bush was crawling with hunters as bad as it was with ticks. First time through and I learned a valuable lesson - hunt elsewhere. We did a ton of walking, got a few good shots off but I need a full choke barrel for my shotgun, too much spread on the one I have now so its not effective enough. For me now I'm just enjoying the rest of my vacation and yup, I'm putting a good 10 hours a day on my quad enjoying the local area - and no, I'm not ripping around off trail either. LR

abbyfireguy
04-20-2010, 11:16 AM
How blind does one have to be to shoot a decoy. Don't they take the time to look at it with optics and see that its not moving at all like most of us do.
Either its one heck of a fantasic decoy or one blind hunter(maybe both!!):?

I gave up on the Koots years ago, too many nutjobs with itchy trigger fingers.
We have hunted for years in 5-13 which has a "No unlicensed MV's rule". This keeps the quads out of your hair.. It just sucks to pack a big Bull moose out 5 km's after 5 major knee surgeries(broken down athlete)!!
No turkeys up there yet, with the exception of a few of the not so rare "Vancouver Island Bearded Gobblers" around. But, you don't need a quad to hunt them.
To call them, just sit in any quiet, out of the way forest campsite, and activate the pull tab on your favorite brew and they come scuttling right up to you!!!:-D:mrgreen: LOL

Angus
04-20-2010, 12:07 PM

RANT!

Where does it say in the OP that he was set up by the road?

04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Wholly,
I am beginning to think that this thread should have been directed to all the mayhem in this area, rather than single out quaders.
I've never been out there turkey hunting but it sure sounds like a gong show. Good to stay away from.
My only contention was i dont like singling out road hunters, This place seens to have taken things to a new level

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I totally agree with sfire436 and will not hunt turkeys anymore because of it...Just because its your legal right to ride around on you quad hunting turkeys. Is it your right to shoot someone decoys ? How many hunters are going to get shot before we learn some turkey hunting edicate...witch is DON`T SHOOT AT A TURKEY YOU HAVEN`T CALLED IN.

Who said that only someone who rides a quad shoots at decoys? Maybe some jackass walking through the bush 20 miles from the road with a recurve bow (yes, a REAL hunter, not just some quad hunter with a shotgun or 17 cal) will shoot your decoy.

You bow boys sure love each other. :?

skibum
04-20-2010, 12:38 PM
isn't stalking turkeys banned in some places in the states because of safety issues? Parts of this thread seem like the origin of that rule.

Mind you, setting up a blind beside a forestry road in a busy local doesn't seem to be the smartest idea.

aggiehunter
04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
FD...you seem to get your panties in quite a knot over what is only one mans opinion...get a grip. Shouldn't a moderator give you a warning after calling people a....holes....and spelling it right too! I have no idea who you are and vice versa.

mcrae
04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Where abouts did all this happen? I am a bit confused?

The original post references region 8? That to me is Boundary country not the West Koots?

I was out for a day this past weeked in the W.Koots and I didn't see another person?

scope-bite
04-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Where abouts did all this happen? I am a bit confused?

The original post references region 8? That to me is Boundary country not the West Koots?

I was out for a day this past weeked in the W.Koots and I didn't see another person?

I am confused as well but judging by the number of quads encountered, it sounds like he is talking about the Pend d'Oreille. That place can be a sh!t show at times.

OutWest
04-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Maybe some braniac will figure out soon enough we shouldn't be hunting turkeys with high velocity .17s....

I can agree with that. Too many guys out there with .22s and .17s. Someone is going to get it one day. Not to mention the number of guys who failed to retrieve their birds after shooting them with rimfire. I'm sure most of them didn't even know they'd hit the bird.

Jelvis
04-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I guess your saying it's time for BLAZE ORANGE if it's as bad as you guys are saying in the Koots, it sounds dangerous, dangerous it's a bad girl ..I've seen this type before
Jel .. She's dangerous lol...BLAZING SADDLES ..MANDATORY sorry!

Lone Ranger
04-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Fife Rd, Christina Lake. Thats the area that is being discussed. LR

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
FD...you seem to get your panties in quite a knot over what is only one mans opinion...get a grip. Shouldn't a moderator give you a warning after calling people a....holes....and spelling it right too! I have no idea who you are and vice versa.

I know exactly who you are Ern.

huntwriter
04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
isn't stalking turkeys banned in some places in the states because of safety issues? Parts of this thread seem like the origin of that rule.

Mind you, setting up a blind beside a forestry road in a busy local doesn't seem to be the smartest idea.

It's not banned but Americans do have more turkey hunting sense because they been doing it longer. Here most hunters, and many told me so, hunt turkeys like deer. Big mistake!!!

Fortunately most hunters that that came to my seminars knew how to hunt turkeys and some even managed to kill a tom. :wink:

huntwriter
04-20-2010, 04:59 PM
I can agree with that. Too many guys out there with .22s and .17s. Someone is going to get it one day. Not to mention the number of guys who failed to retrieve their birds after shooting them with rimfire. I'm sure most of them didn't even know they'd hit the bird.

It puzzles me to no end that the regulations permit rimfire for turkeys. To me it is glaringly obvious that the person/s who came up with that haven't got the foggiest clue about turkeys and turkey hunting. The worst choice for a turkey hunter is rimfire. The kill zone of a turkey is very small and because of that more turkeys are crippled or lost than with any other weapon.

Turkeys are shotgun, no less than 12 gauge, game and for a special challenge try a bow equipped with broadheads that do NOT provide a pass trough shot.

sfire436
04-20-2010, 05:06 PM
You know its bad when you get a phone call from your Buddy saying that you are getting a new arsehole chewed out on HBC. Ha!

I'm having a beer and some butterball.

huntwriter
04-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I guess your saying it's time for BLAZE ORANGE if it's as bad as you guys are saying in the Koots, it sounds dangerous, dangerous it's a bad girl ..I've seen this type before
Jel .. She's dangerous lol...BLAZING SADDLES ..MANDATORY sorry!

Wear hunter orange to hunt turkeys and the effects are the same as staying home. Turkeys have a better eyesight than eagles. However, I do wear a blaze orange vest on my walk to and from my set up. I also cover my bird with a blaze orange vest, and as those who attended my seminars know, I also tie a blaze orange ribbon onto my decoys and sometimes even around the tree I use as my set up.

Having said that people that have not been there this past week can not understand what mayhem it was. It truly felt like someone opened the gates of the lunatic asylum. I have NEVER seen anything like it and can now fully understand why a fair share of locals are hostile toward visiting hunters. As for me I have secured exclusive access to private land for next year.:-D

bigben
04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I jsut wonder whats it going to be like when the elk season opens up HMMMMMMMMMM

aggiehunter
04-20-2010, 05:26 PM
FD, I will promise you that you have no idea of who I am and I like it that way....spend more time working on your poor posts then worrying about who has what opinion.

eastkoot
04-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Have to disagree. I've done lots of turkeys with a .22, all called in to decent range, and been with a few others with .22 and .17's.. Never seen one get away. First one with shotgun this year and same results.. Never had one go more that a few feet.. It's the same with anything one shoots, you have to be sure of your shot and make the shot.. Read a post on here this year that admitted the shotgun without a full choke wasn't quite enough, so they are still out there looking for another turkey..So, how is that turkey doing after a poor shot or not enough pellets??:-? I did kill one last year that I didn't claim (put it out of it's misery) that had been hit with a shotgun previously, pretty rotten, hot and green on one side and walking on one leg, not a good thing to see.. I think it all comes down to waiting for the right time and making the right shot, no different than any other hunting situation or game animal. I think this whole turkey thing is blown out of porportion, what happened to going out, enjoying the day and the experience.. If it's too much for you go somewhere else. Obviously everyone is after the same turkey in the same place, move and enjoy the experience..

308Lover
04-20-2010, 05:36 PM
But golly! Every time someone sounds off about quads it seems everyone on the site thinks their sooooo sweeeelllll! Yah. I know. Pit bulls are safe. It's just their masters. And quads in a turkey zone being ridden by turkeys in camo? I can just see it now.

huntwriter
04-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Have to disagree. I've done lots of turkeys with a .22, all called in to decent range, and been with a few others with .22 and .17's.. Never seen one get away. First one with shotgun this year and same results.. Never had one go more that a few feet.. It's the same with anything one shoots, you have to be sure of your shot and make the shot.. Read a post on here this year that admitted the shotgun without a full choke wasn't quite enough, so they are still out there looking for another turkey..So, how is that turkey doing after a poor shot or not enough pellets??:-? I did kill one last year that I didn't claim (put it out of it's misery) that had been hit with a shotgun previously, pretty rotten, hot and green on one side and walking on one leg, not a good thing to see.. I think it all comes down to waiting for the right time and making the right shot, no different than any other hunting situation or game animal. I think this whole turkey thing is blown out of porportion, what happened to going out, enjoying the day and the experience.. If it's too much for you go somewhere else. Obviously everyone is after the same turkey in the same place, move and enjoy the experience..

Statistics show clearly that the .22 and .17 are the least effective, so much so that some U.S. states have outlawed them for turkey hunting.

Of course a shotgun that is not patterned properly is useless too. Having guided and hunted turkeys for many years I have seen many guys that came to camp with a full choke any old ammunition in #4, #5, #6. Because they where told or read somewhere that that is all that is needed.

Despite that, the shotgun IS the most effective weapon for turkeys, 99% of veteran and professional turkey hunters can't be wrong.:wink:

Turkey hunting is still very new to BC and hunters have a very steep learning curve that cannot be mastered by watching You-Tube videos, as often recommended by some.:)

Rutger
04-20-2010, 06:46 PM
I also think, once "the unwashed masses" realize how hard it is and that driving around on your quad on FSR's all day with nothing to show for it is expensive, that will thin the herd a bit.

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Statistics show clearly that the .22 and .17 are the least effective, so much so that some U.S. states have outlawed them for turkey hunting.

Show us the statistics.

dana
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM

RANT!

Since when did the West Koots become Region 8??? Were you lost? Hunters who don't have a clue where they are, give other hunters a bad rep.

358mag
04-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Show us the statistics.
Statistics are for "Losers"

urbanhermit
04-20-2010, 08:20 PM
every one over there turkey hunting, just simmer down or Jelvis is gonna come over and kick some @ss.

huntwriter
04-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Show us the statistics.

Go find them yourself. US government hunting statistics. I get mine set to me by mail every year. And no I do not scan them to post here.:wink:

ARC
04-20-2010, 08:58 PM
I know of a few guys hunting with .22s and .17s who have had birds get away. I prefer a shotgun.

mcrae
04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Since when did the West Koots become Region 8??? Were you lost? Hunters who don't have a clue where they are, give other hunters a bad rep.

Kind of what I was thinking:-D

BlacktailStalker
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM

RANT!

I had a guy sneak in and hammer my 342" rocky mountain elk I had coming in hot to my cow calls 2 years ago.
It happens :)

urbanhermit
04-20-2010, 09:15 PM
its been like that the last few years on the turkey opener, unless you have some private land secured or hike way way back somewhere, a reasonable person would have to assume its not going to be a quality hunt. Never any excuse for poor ethics, being disrespectful to others or being unsafe but with that volume of people trying to shake off cabin fever you cant be too shocked..

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Go find them yourself. US government hunting statistics. I get mine set to me by mail every year. And no I do not scan them to post here.:wink:

My reply will now be put in plain English, as my sarcasm was obviously lost on you: YOU'RE FULL OF BS. Clearly. Again.

eastkoot
04-20-2010, 09:21 PM
If I remember correctly, the reason rimfires were disallowed in the good old US of A was because of a safety concern, not effectiveness at taking a bird. There's just too many damn Yankees and not enough land to be safe when shooting a rimfire that can carry any distance unlike a shotgun.. No other reason...

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Statistics are for "Losers"

Hubbard: elk hunting pressure has more than doubled in the past 10 years in region 8!

GG: statistics show that number of elk hunters in region 8 has fallen by 60% in the past 10 years.

Yes, when guys like Skip and Hubbard have their old wives' tales proven wrong, statistics are for losers.

NitwiT
04-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I read, the opening quote wasn't so much about road hunting vs hike hunting, and which one is da bomb, so much as it was about a complete lack of respect for the other hunters out there with them.

Need I mention a little rule in the hunting regs where it happens to be illegal to disrupt another hunter's legal hunt? I personally hate road hunting, and will only ever do that for bear, I'm in the process of finding a place not too far away, where I can get in a good day's hunt on foot, and not see a damn truck or ATV anywhere. THAT would be sweet!

Nothing against road hunters, but I love serenity!

bc sportsman
04-20-2010, 09:43 PM
"Well I suppose I am the odd man out then. Not too proud to admit that. Keep riding your quads and happy hunting then. I just think hunting in general has moved from the tradition of long hikes in the woods to driving around on 10,000 dollar quads all day. I think it's a shame. "Seems that Sfire436 has the balls to admit he hasn't got majority support for his position and takes it like a man rather than striking out against those who disagree with him. Nothing about Sfire436 not to respect.

For everyone else's info...twas I who was in camo. I was some 50-75 ydst from the road, had a good treeline separating me from the road, was just down from a ridge top and had turkey sign in the area. Even had two hens walk right past me at about 10 feet after I was settled in and calling.

Regarding the other hunters who parked their ATVs next to our truck. The two hunters walked behind and past me while I was hunkered down and gobblin. I had a gobbler 'gobblin' at me down below the hill slope that I was on. I had been gobblin at him and he was responding to it and my purr calls.

Anyways...the guys returned with a gobbler in tow some 30 min later...looked like they took it with an arrow or bolt.

I don't take exception at guys parking next to me...its a big country...but they could have turned around and gone on foot in the opposite direction when they saw me, heard me gobblin and heard the Tom answering back. I was actively working that bird. If they then stalked that bird after realizing that, well...not very kosher.

Would have been a different story if they had passed me and I had not gotten a Tom to start answering my calls. If they had walked well beyond my position and called in their own etc..I would have had no complaints. Also, to be fair...no way to tell if they took the same Tom I was calling.

Anyways...what they apparently did is not illegal, just not friendly. Like I said, if I had been them and saw that a hunter was calling a bird, I would have not hunted that bird and would have gone in the other direction.

mark
04-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Just for the record....anyone who has been turned off of the thought of turkey hunting from this thread....dont be.
Ive turkey hunted opening day for 5 years now, yes the roads are busy but Ive yet to see another hunter in the bush!
Calling a turkey in, in the bush is where its at...(Very exciting, and gratifying) shooting a turkey on the road after jumping out of a vehicle is a waste of your time!
I followed a tom in my truck for 200 yards, till he walked off the road this year, could of had one in the first 10 minutes of season.

I hunted all day, had numerous close calls with Gobblers, but it never came together. I had way more fun than I would of, had I plugged one on the road and gone home!

BTW turkey huntin is not gay, its a riot!

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Regarding the other hunters who parked their ATVs next to our truck. The two hunters walked behind and past me while I was hunkered down and gobblin. I had a gobbler 'gobblin' at me down below the hill slope that I was on. I had been gobblin at him and he was responding to it and my purr calls.

Anyways...the guys returned with a gobbler in tow some 30 min later...looked like they took it with an arrow or bolt.

I don't take exception at guys parking next to me...its a big country...but they could have turned around and gone on foot in the opposite direction when they saw me, heard me gobblin and heard the Tom answering back. I was actively working that bird. If they then stalked that bird after realizing that, well...not very kosher.

Would have been a different story if they had passed me and I had not gotten a Tom to start answering my calls. If they had walked well beyond my position and called in their own etc..I would have had no complaints. Also, to be fair...no way to tell if they took the same Tom I was calling.

Anyways...what they apparently did is not illegal, just not friendly. Like I said, if I had been them and saw that a hunter was calling a bird, I would have not hunted that bird and would have gone in the other direction.

The ATVers were BOW hunters? *****! That's friggin' hilarious! Aggie is gonna need a good recipe for crow! :lol::lol::lol:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3225/Eating_Crow.jpg

GoatGuy
04-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Just for the record....anyone who has been turned off of the thought of turkey hunting from this thread....dont be.
Ive turkey hunted opening day for 5 years now, yes the roads are busy but Ive yet to see another hunter in the bush!
Calling a turkey in, in the bush is where its at...(Very exciting, and gratifying) shooting a turkey on the road after jumping out of a vehicle is a waste of your time!
I followed a tom in my truck for 200 yards, till he walked off the road this year, could of had one in the first 10 minutes of season.

I hunted all day, had numerous close calls with Gobblers, but it never came together. I had way more fun than I would of, had I plugged one on the road and gone home!

BTW turkey huntin is not gay, its a riot!

Have to agree. Yet to see another turkey hunter, just turkeys.

Guess it's no different than anything else. Hunters road hunt, or walk down a road (aka road hunting) and don't expect to see other hunters. Hunt near farms for turkeys and don't expect to see other hunters. Hunt in areas that everyone talks about on the internet and don't expect to see other hunters.

It's interesting.

Even better when you get a guy like Aggiehunter who complains because he wants road closures for 'quality hunts' and more animals. Anndddddddd he hunts near a road.:roll: And better yet complains about it.

Makes you wonder what the expectations really are??

urbanhermit
04-20-2010, 10:35 PM
i read a few of those posts as well where people were calling from the edge of the road and had their hunt ruined by someone driving by!
um, maybe 400 yards, 90 degrees from the road would be the quiet youre looking for..

OutWest
04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Fife and Santa Rosa were absolute gongshows during the first few days of the season. But as Mark said and (like usual) I got away from roads and never came across another hunter. There was 4 of us and we were able reach our limit quite easily. Lots of guys who were road hunting weren't having much luck seeing birds let alone having the chance to harvest one. I'm not trying to dump on any of the road hunters out there but I wouldn't find it satisfying to jump out of the truck and shoot a gobbler.

It's kind of funny to see how many hunters mistake Jakes for Toms because of beard length ;).

In regards to the guy who was apparently shot at. We talked to a guy and his son who were hunting partners of this fellow and he explained the story to us like this:

It happened on the opposite side of Christina Lake. The hunter was hunkered down in some grass and the gobbler was closing quick on him. A guy on his quad drove up and didn't see the other hunter laying in the grass. He did however see the turkey and took a shot at it. Apparently hitting only a few feet away from the guy who was doing the calling. Again this is only what we were told by the guys hunting partner so take it as you want.

hunter1947
04-21-2010, 04:54 AM
You get people like this that spoil it for others the only thing you can do id put it behind you and move on.
The chances of this happening again are slim.

huntwriter
04-21-2010, 05:54 AM
My reply will now be put in plain English, as my sarcasm was obviously lost on you: YOU'RE FULL OF BS. Clearly. Again.

That's you standard answer to everybody you disagree with it. However, I have the researched facts and many years of personal turkey hunting and guiding experience. In addition to that, the vast majority of veteran and professional turkey hunters are in my corner. I am in pretty good company.
Here is a hint for you. You cannot build a respected reputation in the outdoor industry and keep it for decades with BS.:wink: So if your foolish comment was meant as a lame attempt to insult me it failed horribly.

If I remember correctly, the reason rimfires were disallowed in the good old US of A was because of a safety concern, not effectiveness at taking a bird. There's just too many damn Yankees and not enough land to be safe when shooting a rimfire that can carry any distance unlike a shotgun.. No other reason...

Safety is another issue. Here we talk about effectiveness and there is reliable statistics and research to prove that. Besides that there is a thing called simple logic too. Which would give you the greater chance of hitting a moving dime sized target, a shotgun or a single projectile? Sure you can aim at the chest of a turkey, which is a slightly larger target. It's also a well protected target. Again their is reliable research and firsthand records of bullets just bouncing of the turkeys wings. In my many years of turkey hunter guiding I have come to disallow rimfire on my hunts because of that fact.

Fisher-Dude
04-21-2010, 06:10 AM
Which would give you the greater chance of hitting a moving dime sized target, a shotgun or a single projectile?

I'll vote for a single projectile in the hands of an experienced shooter hitting a dime-sized target compared to the shoot-and-pray randomness of a shotgun's pattern. I can hit a dime reliably with my 22, but can only hope to hit it with a shotgun at say, 20 yards.

So a turkey only has a dime-sized kill zone? That's news to me. But, you're the expert here. 8)

huntwriter
04-21-2010, 06:39 AM
I'll vote for a single projectile in the hands of an experienced shooter hitting a dime-sized target compared to the shoot-and-pray randomness of a shotgun's pattern. I can hit a dime reliably with my 22, but can only hope to hit it with a shotgun at say, 20 yards.

That's the problem, most hunters are not "experienced" shooters. Most people go a day or two before the season opens to the range shoot a few rounds and then go hunting. There is nothing random about a properly patterned shotgun.

Most hunters do not wait for the turkey to come close they shoot at it when it is 50, 70 yards or even further away. We have seen that many times on the hunt last week. Heck, one fellow tried to kill a bird with a shotgun that still was a good 50 yards out.

So a turkey only has a dime-sized kill zone? That's news to me. But, you're the expert here. 8)The brain of a turkey is not much larger than a time and the spinal column is less than a pencil thick. These are the only reliable kill zones for small caliber firearms. Bowhunters have more options.

04-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Seems that Sfire436 has the balls to admit he hasn't got majority support for his position and takes it like a man rather than striking out against those who disagree with him. Nothing about Sfire436 not to respect.

For everyone else's info...twas I who was in camo. I was some 50-75 ydst from the road, had a good treeline separating me from the road, was just down from a ridge top and had turkey sign in the area. Even had two hens walk right past me at about 10 feet after I was settled in and calling.

I understand what you are saying. I have had that happen with moose, quad drove past me on a tiny spir and shot my bull. I hate that as well. I find it poor ethics. I do not disagree with road hunting by truck or quad. The way sfire put it was harsh to hunters and hunting. Mabye where you were was a gong show, It most certainly sounds that way.But saying you disrespect another form of hunting is wrong. In your case you can say you disrespect the guy who took that tom and i would aggree with you.

sfire436
04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Just checking in on the shit storm I created.

Why dont we all get together for a big turkey dinner and we can all be friends again? Everyone can bring their wives or girlfriends. Fisher-Dude and Dana can come together, no one will stare.

bighornbob
04-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Of course a shotgun that is not patterned properly is useless too. Having guided and hunted turkeys for many years I have seen many guys that came to camp with a full choke any old ammunition in #4, #5, #6. Because they where told or read somewhere that that is all that is needed.

Despite that, the shotgun IS the most effective weapon for turkeys, 99% of veteran and professional turkey hunters can't be wrong.:wink:

Turkey hunting is still very new to BC and hunters have a very steep learning curve that cannot be mastered by watching You-Tube videos, as often recommended by some.:)

Couldn't the same thing be said about bow hunting big game in BC. The high power rifle is the most effective weapon for Big Game in BC, 99% of veteran and professioanl big game hunters cant be wrong.

So why is it you use a bow quite often hunting big game in BC???????????????

Maybe using a rimfire for turkeys is the new thing like bow hunting. Shotguns are too easy, using rimfires take patients and waiting for the right shot and the head to be still.

Maybe the rimfire turkey hunters will want their own seasons soon as they have a disadvantage using a .22 or a .17 compared to a shotgun.

BHB

04-21-2010, 08:41 AM
:mrgreen:
Just checking in on the shit storm I created.

Why dont we all get together for a big turkey dinner and we can all be friends again? Everyone can bring their wives or girlfriends. Fisher-Dude and Dana can come together, no one will stare.

The entertainment value on this one has been quite good :mrgreen:

NoLimit99
04-21-2010, 08:58 AM
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq243/nolimit99/IMG_3855.jpg

Now that I have your attention...lol
We saw these ones and many others couple of days after opening season.

Had a fellow hbc member from the koots known as deeks1989 took me and my prego wife under his wings and took us out to a few of his spots for our one and only turkey hunt for the year. Our baby will be joining us on or near july 29th, so the wife and I needed to get a bit of camping/hunting out of our system before our baby boy joins our family.

deeks1989 the wife and I want to thank you big time for getting us on some turkeys and showing us elk and white tail and oh ya that big bear... that was just out of our reach...lol you know what I mean. And for sure i'll see ya opening season elk and lets keep in touch we enjoyed your company. Oh by the way did I forget my box call in your truck?

treestandjunky
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Look at the tails and eye patches on those birds - clearly those are are blue grouse/turkey crosses ....

bforce750
04-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Dont confuse YOUR OWN edicate with everyone elses,I'll shoot a turkey on the ground,in the air ,out of a tree.....whatever,I also dont' care if I call it in,run it over with my quad (by accident of course:wink:) or shoot someones decoys that they placed on the road..so take that:)

leatherlungs
04-21-2010, 03:22 PM
As a hunter of anything and everything and on anything and everything I do understand what sfire is saying. The one basic rule other than safety that I live by is treating everyone like I would want to be treated. If I see someone hunting a spot or area I will leave them be and find another area. It can get crowded no matter where you go these days so we all have to be careful. Show your fellow hunters the respect they and you deserve not matter how they hunt as long as its legal.

I was there when the two parked next to our truck and walked in and started hunting by my hunting partner that day. I was also standing on the road talking with a local road hunter(great guy) when they came back out of the bush with there tom. I was standing at the trail mouth chatting and when they saw us instead of walking to the road to say hi and showing off there bird they immediately headed into the thick bush walking parallel to the road about 50 feet in and about 100 feet up to where we both were parked. That to me is not the actions of a proud hunter but the actions of a couple of hunters that knew they were in the wrong. Oh well what can you do. Live and learn and the funny thing is karma has a way of biting people like that in the **s down the road. Well everyone take care and I hope all your hunts are successful and safe.

aggiehunter
04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
FD...stay on the topic...concentrate...forget about who people are...your gettin' creepy! One of the points raised was the safety of people....a missed .17 or a pass through will kill you....and this type of hunting should not be permitted. And as far as I heard those guys were Quasbow hunters...

hardnocks
04-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Dont confuse YOUR OWN edicate with everyone elses,I'll shoot a turkey on the ground,in the air ,out of a tree.....whatever,I also dont' care if I call it in,run it over with my quad (by accident of course:wink:) or shoot someones decoys that they placed on the road..so take that:)
so you just don`t care that a hunter might be sitting just on the other side of his decoys.

theirs a reason in place`s that have had turkey hunting for a long time why you don`t shoot turkey that you don`t call in. and thats hunter safety .

358mag
04-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Hubbard: elk hunting pressure has more than doubled in the past 10 years in region 8!

GG: statistics show that number of elk hunters in region 8 has fallen by 60% in the past 10 years.

Yes, when guys like Skip and Hubbard have their old wives' tales proven wrong, statistics are for losers.
So Patrick what your saying is that GG statistics are for losers ????
Having hunted elk in region 8 for over 35 years a little local info might not be a bad idea but then again you can always take statistics and twist + bend the to what ever you + the BCWF belive.Maybe you should show up at the MOE meeting in May and stand on your little milk box and face everyone at the table + tell them too .
Please remeber this tread was about Bufoons in the WK not about you in Region 8:-D

Browningridge
04-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I myself love to ride my quad doing a head stand one hand on the throttle one hand on my 22 blastin away at decoys with my 4 flats of budweiser strapped to the front:-D....enough with the quad bashin just because some people make a mistake dont condemn us all for enjoying our time in the bush....