PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot ducks with their bow? On the water?

Rectifier
04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Just read on some other forum that carbon arrows float... gave it a try in a bucket here and sure enough, floats like... a duck

So I checked the regs and it turns out we can shoot ducks with a bow, does anyone do it around here? Or is it just a recipe for losing arrows. I don't have a dog, but I do have a backpack sized inflatable I could use to retrieve 'em. Maybe even shoot from it but I think that's asking to pop the boat. I do fish from it but carefully.

I love eating duck... would be fun to shoot with a bow, I think. And something I can do here in the GVRD area without too much travel.

That got me thinking about bowfishing rigs and duck hunting, but I'm thinking that the line would disturb the arrow flight too much out past 10 yards or so.

Kirby
04-18-2010, 06:49 PM
I've thought about it, but think its just a way to loose arrows. I do however have plans to try nailing geese this fall with the bow, gonna try it in the fields.

Kirby

nolan-sawka
04-18-2010, 07:24 PM
i bowfish and you can shoot past ten yard easy get thinner line, the only thing is the heavy arrow so is quite slow

Bowzone_Mikey
04-18-2010, 07:49 PM
it wouldnt be that hard ... get a reel for bow fishing that fits in you Stabilizer hole .... drill a small hole in the back of your nock (big nocks like an "X-Nock" or alike) ...feed some mono filament line throu it .... feed it up the arrow shaft ... tie it to back of insert ... glue insert in ... press nock in screw a head on and you are good to go ....

I have been pondering doing this for water foul ....

hardnocks
04-19-2010, 08:27 AM
it wouldnt be that hard ... get a reel for bow fishing that fits in you Stabilizer hole .... drill a small hole in the back of your nock (big nocks like an "X-Nock" or alike) ...feed some mono filament line throu it .... feed it up the arrow shaft ... tie it to back of insert ... glue insert in ... press nock in screw a head on and you are good to go ....

I have been pondering doing this for water foul ....

never never do this...make a ring that slides on the shaft so you have the ring and line on the tip of the arrow when shot . Fish line has a nasty habit of getting rapped around arrow rests . It ether breaks and you loose your arrow or worse the arrow comes back and go`s into your forehead.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-19-2010, 02:16 PM
good point .... but wouldnt it be better to put the ring stationary on the front of the arrow ...press it between the shaft and head ... like a home made SGH?

Ddog
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
i Have done it, i have done it. aluminum arrows float, got me a goose with one.
in the fields the arrows just stick in the ground if you miss.

hardnocks
04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
good point .... but wouldnt it be better to put the ring stationary on the front of the arrow ...press it between the shaft and head ... like a home made SGH?
no a line on the front will stear it ..so you want it to slide to rear rite away.