PDA

View Full Version : shotgun question

Trevorg
04-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Ok first ill apologize since this thread is probably in the wrong section.
Im looking to buy a shotgun but i was wondering about which caliber would be best all around bird gun, (grouse to goose) or would i need more than one? ive just been using my 22 for grouse but im kinda thinking about getting into the migratory birds when the season opens again and i dont like the mess the 22 makes. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Trevor

marbles67
04-17-2010, 09:24 AM
well anything bigger thana grouse I use a 12 gauge thats just me the best bang for your buck if you like hike as well and want protection ( I hu=ike where there are lots of bears and acts)get the remington 870 exspress it comes with two barrels,smaller one is perfect for hiking in nasty terraian

Matty_ola
04-17-2010, 09:34 AM
One more thing to point out is you don't really have a choice for geese or ducks as you cannot legally use anything but shotguns with non-toxic shot in them. No rimfires allowed on migratory game birds. Personally this is my first year hunting migratory game and there is lots of articles on what guns are best and what kind of shot to use for whatever game your hunting. Do a quick search and you'll find a wealth of info on this site about it:)

Good luck and keep us updated to what you decide to buy and where:)

yamadirt 426
04-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Ill say just get a 12 for an all around. Change your barrels and chokes for slugs to light bird shot. Do a search in the newbie section as its been asked a few times. Good threads lots of opinions. I'm to lazy to post a link to them right now.

Trevorg
04-17-2010, 11:25 AM
thanks for the advice

PressurePoint
04-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Remington 870 express with 26inch barrel. I acutally forgot my paddle once and used my 870 for one... Shoots even better now.
The gun is bullet proof. $399 for the gun and $40 for the steel MOD choke. Your set for a gun that will take a licken. I shoot geese and ducks on the Fraser river and sand gets everywhere and I have never had an issue with performance. I am trying to screw this gun up and its been impossible to do so.