PDA

View Full Version : Hound question.

Jimsue
04-16-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm going to check with a CO but heres the question anyways.
If a US citizen brings his hounds to BC and only handles the dogs on a bear hunt, I do the shooting, I have the tags, are we legal?

Thanks Jim

Barracuda
04-16-2010, 08:55 AM
if he is the handler then he is hunting also i think .

check with the CO but i would say no

yukon john
04-16-2010, 09:18 AM
I know a guy who does it, and he has never had a problem, but i would check with the co's

Jimsue
04-16-2010, 10:24 AM
just had a long discussion with a CO, he's pretty sure its a no no, but he said he would look into it further.

cavebear
04-16-2010, 11:09 AM
my understanding is that he would still be considered in pursuit which is hunting. Would probably need a visitors permit.

BlacktailStalker
04-16-2010, 12:03 PM
I looked in to this extensively.
No, you're not legal.
There are no permits or any way to make this legal.

digger dogger
04-16-2010, 08:42 PM
i do believe, a guy can rent dogs from the owner. if i'm right, the renter must be the one to do ALL the handling of the dogs. if the owner is present, that could be guideing. (plus it looks pretty scetchy too.) pretty soon it will be, the only person to shoot an animal while hunting with dogs will be hunters that have a dog involved with the pursuit, family, or a guided hunt with an outfitter... no friends...(but that's a rumour)

BlacktailStalker
04-16-2010, 09:20 PM
That would be considered income and is a whole different set of laws (U.S citizen working in BC) so I can't see that being legal, basically sub contracting out dogs for a profit... seems kinda :confused:

I talked to numerous people who were "up there" in both gov't and conservation and there was NO way around it so if somebody knows FOR SURE I'd like to hear it, followed by a name and number to confirm it.

digger dogger
04-16-2010, 10:01 PM
the us citizen, making $ in canada sounds like alot of paperwork, and to much b.s for what its worth. andy, can a guy rent out his hounds if hes a b.c resident, to a b.c resident? (or is that a rumour too?)

BlacktailStalker
04-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Sure thats an agreement between two people and thats the extent of it. If the outfitter is doing the guiding/handling, you're not there then you're not considered an assistant guide. All your hounds are is an accessory, no different than if you let him use your truck, if he wanted to pay you for wear and tear thats an agreement between you two and irrelevant I believe.

Hounds aren't required to be licenced or registered if they reside in BC so there are no laws being broken that I know of.

digger dogger
04-16-2010, 11:21 PM
thanx, andy that's the way i was told aswell. (dogs are an accessory) e.g "sure you can use my swarovski binos for your hunting trip for 50 bux, but if you lose them or damage them the price is 2600 bux") kinda thing..

Jimsue
04-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all the replys, it looks like a certin NO No.

Regards Jimsue