PDA

View Full Version : My first shotgun :)YAY

Matty_ola
04-15-2010, 10:29 AM
As it says I bought my very first shotgun this week and I'm heading out this weekend for a little shooting practice. Box of shells, a box of clay pigeons and a wife with a hell of an arm;)

It's a Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U And it's amazing (Thank you wifey:)). Now on to the questions.

I know it's early yet :-? but I'd like to hunt all types of game birds with it but I'm unsure about what type of loads to use and what size shot for what animal. eg. Grouse, Chuckers, Geese, Ducks???

I know with all migratory game must be shot with steel or non-toxic loads but which ones work best and what are the best chokes to use for what ranges? I'd like to get my practice in early so I can gun train my new puppy (GSP) at the same time:) IMO you can never practice too much.

Does anyone reload their own shells? Does it save as much as rifle cartridges? I've been reloading for my 30cal for ages but looking at the shotshell reloading info it looks like I'm learning a whole process????:confused:

Just looking for any advise from anyone who's had to learn the hard way. I like learning from others as much as possible. Why do something the wrong way twice???

Thanks in advance for all your input. It's always appreciated.

04-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Awsome,
grouse chucker- 2-3/4" #6 walmart or crappy tire go cheep
ducks biggest you can chamber, 3" im sure for a o/u #2-4 i like kent but there are people who shoot cheep stuff for ducks as well and do fine
Geese 3" bb's

grouse you can take'em with a 12 at 40yds but stick to 30- for water fowel

i keep a modifyed choke in my gun at all times. I do have a full tube but i like the mod.

save 2-3 shells out of every box you buy and pattern your gun with them at varied ranges. 2' circle and count pellets and look for holes.

try cheep stuff and expensive, whatever patterns best use that.

lotsa people load but i dont

Have fun

04-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Oh ya save some wings and even a whole duck or 2 for trainers. If you live on the chuck buffle heads are great "trainers"

MichelD
04-15-2010, 11:49 AM
The only other thing I'd add maybe is that if I had a gun as pretty as that I wouldn't dare take it duck hunting in some of the places I go.

You have a beautiful skeet and upland bird gun

Now you have to get a knockabout pump or semi for ducks and geese.

Matty_ola
04-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. I'll try out some different loads this weekend and see what makes the best pattern and stick with what works:) The wife said she's gonna inspect it every time I come home to ensure I'm looking after my new toy;) I agree I might not be too keen of playing in the water with it so maybe a Browning Silver hunter would be more appropriate for the waterfowl? Or an SPS pump maybe?

Can you imagine the wife's face when I go bird hunting and leave behind the bird gun she bought me, and grab the pump... That's a one way ticket to the doggy house. Come to think of it... I think his TV's bigger anyway;)

MichelD
04-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I bought a Browning Gold last year and even though it is 2nd hand and already dinged up it's too danged nice to bring near salt water so I take my 870 Express.

04-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Forget about it, take the nice gun. Just not to the chuck.
I dont throw my 835 in the mud and it was 300 bucks. Just be careful with it. I have a 3000$ 20ga Grulla sxs handed down to me as an heirloom. It marches through the thickets after grouse rain or sun, just clean your gun! Its what their for.

Matty_ola
04-15-2010, 12:43 PM
True true:) I suppose It's like having a truck and never leaving the pavement;)

Thanks guys gets me started anyway:)

04-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Exactly,
Except I hardly wash my truck but I clean my shot gun's and rifles as soon as I get home

Mr. Dean
04-19-2010, 01:37 AM
That's a F I N E firearm. Just use it wisely and it'll last long time.

For Grouse, just buy bricks of cheap target ammo from C-Tire or Wally-World (size 6-8's). Works like a charm, for me.