PDA

View Full Version : Taking Newbies hunting

kebes
04-15-2010, 12:37 AM
I have a couple of buddies who want to go hunting next year. One of them is completely new to hunting so he'll need to do the core. I wanted to get him started on the bcwf online stuff that's supposed to be up this month but I'm not going to hold my breath on that. Can I pick up the book for the course at a bc access centre or do I need to go into a sports shop to get it? Anyways, it looks like a good year for the whitetail doe season to start, hopefully I'll be able to get a couple of guys hooked :-D.

Steeleco
04-15-2010, 12:48 AM
You can get them at the BCWF office in Burnaby. Take your buddies out for a ride along this year before they get their core, they may not wait so long to get onboard!!

hunter1947
04-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Thats a good idea to take out a few of your buddies to see if they really like the hunting thing ,good luck with your up coming outings this year http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

MichelD
04-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I just told my 19-year-old sherpa (I mean newbie) to get the book out of the library.

He did that with the PAL course and a few hands-on lessons in my basement and then challenged the test and passed with flying colours.

I expect him to have his hunter number and be ready for September 1 if not before bear season ends.

kebes
04-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys...one more quick question, how much does the book cost?

Steeleco
04-15-2010, 03:32 PM
The one my son got last year in his class was $19.95

Surrey Boy
04-15-2010, 07:36 PM
I just told my 19-year-old sherpa (I mean newbie) to get the book out of the library.

Best thing is to take a new hunter and prospective hunting partner and see how well he bears up for various jobs. Gotta pay your dues.

MichelD
04-16-2010, 10:35 AM
"Best thing is to take a new hunter and prospective hunting partner and see how well he bears up for various jobs. Gotta pay your dues."

Did that already. We hiked into the alpine for September 1. He shares all camp duties, is a strong hiker and has remarkable patience for a 19 year old.

We hid in a natural blind blind through wind rain and fog for hours watching a gully I've seen deer cross before and he barely fidgeted. Said he'd been studying the ways of the Ninja.

Surrey Boy
04-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Good job. Hope you guys keep going out. (That was meant in a dignified way)

drivintrucks_shootinbucks
04-17-2010, 05:38 PM
been taking my 15 year old cousin out shooting, as he is excited to start hunting. set him up on some pop cans with an open sighted 30-30 lever action at 100 yards. we had 5 cans and 5 rounds he he hit them all in his first five shots at open sights. doesnt matter what gun i put him on, he hits or is very close...definately will be making kill shots. i think i get more excited than he does and and really looking forward to getting him a deer this year. introducing someone to hunting is exciting, but to see them succesful and happy is an even bigger thrill.