PDA

View Full Version : Northern migration

field marshal
04-14-2010, 06:27 PM
The northern migration is in full swing.
Picking wild asparagus today at Cowichan estuary.
Thousands of Specklebellies going over driving our Lab pup nuts with their
squealing. I don't remember a Spring such as this one, with so many varieties of ducks staging for the flights north!!! Here's hoping nesting conditions are excellent. Keeping fingers crossed for bountiful fall .
Cheers, Field Marshal.

bridger
04-15-2010, 07:28 AM
lots of canada's in the peace now. seems like more than usual

fowl language
04-15-2010, 05:51 PM
the snow geese in richmond have a changing number every day. they will go from 2000 to 25000 in a day and back to 2000 a few days later......fowl

elkdom
04-15-2010, 06:01 PM
hundreds Canada's have been around for a couple of weeks, many Swans also, mallards the last few days,,,,

and lots of fields with un-harvested wheat and oats for them to feed on,,

but they are having a tough time on the lake, ICE 2 feet thick !, makes for a bumpy and humorous landing strip! :shock: :lol:

Tanya
04-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Heard a bunch of high pitched squawkers goin' over the house heading north yesterday morning. Winter must be ending!

Ian F.
04-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Have been seeing lots of mallard bachelor groups lately, with most of the birds who make the trip, GONE from the lower mainland!

More importantly, how bout some pics of your asparagus haul!

field marshal
04-16-2010, 02:27 PM
One small bunch of asparagus does not a picture make.:mrgreen:
Where it used to be prolific,it has all but disappeared.
We were very disappointed.:cry: We didn't get out to pick it last Spring and I'm wondering if the previous Winter's long cold snap had anything to do with it disappearing. Still the odd plant here and there, so it might come back??
Cheers, Field Marshal.

fowl language
04-16-2010, 04:11 PM
the brant must also be on the move as we saw at least 2000 between the ports yesterday, and i heard there was a pile outside of parksville,,,,,fowl

Ian F.
04-17-2010, 08:21 AM
My grampa Groves was a railway man in Ontario and I always heard stories of his prowess bringing home pillow cases full of asparagus and morels. Unfortunately he died when I was in grade 2, so I never got to go with him. A real sign of spring in my family though!

Dirty
04-17-2010, 08:30 AM
We saw about 300 Wigeon last weekend. I have never seen a flock of ducks that big at this time of the year.

Marc
04-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Saw a flock of Specks this morning flying over Esquimalt. There definitely on the move.

longshot
04-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Thousands of SPECKS have flown over our house here in Victoria heading north. We see atleast 100-300 fly a day.

We live near a few huge farmers fields that I have permission to walk through and last week on my way home from school I saw about 400 Specks while walking through the field. Very neat sight.