PDA

View Full Version : Greater Swiss Mountain Dog

KB90
04-14-2010, 05:46 PM
So originally I thought after I am finished school I wanted a wire haired pointer of some kind as I loved their unique look, but after some thinking, at this point in my life I don't have much interest in bird hunting. So it is probably not the breed for me...
(maybe when i'm too old and out of shape to climb a mountain:mrgreen:)

So after some internet research I came across the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. They look like a good hunting partner/pack dog but at the same time a nice family pet

Does anyone here have one, or has previously had one? What are your thoughts on the breed?

Also I've never seen one in person before so if anyone has one I'd love to see it. I've done a quick search for BC breeders with no luck.

Cheers Kyle

4blade
04-14-2010, 07:29 PM
if they are anything like the bernese mountain dog should be a great choice as long as you have the time to spend with them.i,ve had mine while scouting ,had a couple bulls at 30 yds and telling him to be quiet he just growled at them .i have packs for him but he hasnt packed alot of weight ,but he loves to go hiking,not one to be lseft at home

KB90
04-14-2010, 07:37 PM
if they are anything like the bernese mountain dog should be a great choice as long as you have the time to spend with them.i,ve had mine while scouting ,had a couple bulls at 30 yds and telling him to be quiet he just growled at them .i have packs for him but he hasnt packed alot of weight ,but he loves to go hiking,not one to be lseft at home

Sounds like the perfect dog!

I'v been looking at breeders from Alberta and the US just now and they don't look like they will be easy to get.

Especially with the 5 page resume they make you fill out... I wonder if when I do send away applications if I should mention I plan on having her as a hunting/hiking buddy, perhaps they will say no just because of that.

jessonml
04-14-2010, 07:42 PM
my bud has one and he is a really nice and friendly dog. Very personable and actually takes offense if you dont want to socialize with him. Very gentle with kids. If you want to know his breeder just send me a PM and I'll ask him.
He plays with my Toller all the time.
Matt

Sideofabarn
04-14-2010, 08:20 PM
I was going to suggest the Bernese over the Greater Swiss, but a little research tells me that the Bernese are very short lived, and that would just suck after only 7 or so years. Have you considered a Pyrenees? Great big sucks, but they are equally happy on long walks (and they love winter). Apparently the females can be a little ornery if you let them though.
BTW, quit procrastinating, those exams don't write themselves!

KB90
04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
BTW, quit procrastinating, those exams don't write themselves!

Don't remind me... I still have to pack and be ready to move on sunday. And my exams aren't until monday and wednesday. O well I get to test out my new sleeping bag and pro lite in my empty basement suite for a couple nights :)

And yes I have looked into them, couple things that get me
1. Long hair
and
2. White

I like short hair theres not as much of a mess, and a white dog is a dirty dog.

Brew
04-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I have been looking for an all around dog and I think you just pointed me in the right direction kyle. A little research shows a lot of good traits in this breed and they are also very nice looking as well. Good luck and I hope you find one.

KB90
04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
I have been looking for an all around dog and I think you just pointed me in the right direction kyle. A little research shows a lot of good traits in this breed and they are also very nice looking as well. Good luck and I hope you find one.

Thanks! They do look awesome I hope to find one and see what they are really like.

Good Luck on your dog search,
Kyle

Sideofabarn
04-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Don't remind me... I still have to pack and be ready to move on sunday. And my exams aren't until monday and wednesday. O well I get to test out my new sleeping bag and pro lite in my empty basement suite for a couple nights :)

And yes I have looked into them, couple things that get me
1. Long hair
and
2. White

I like short hair theres not as much of a mess, and a white dog is a dirty dog.

I know they're not popular here, but have you considered greyhounds? I used to look after the reject racing dogs, and I found they had a very gentle temperament (maybe the prime reason they were rejected?). Neat looking dogs, speed to burn, and short haired...

Angel
04-15-2010, 09:48 AM
http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-The-Puppies-are-Here-W0QQAdIdZ197944480

Here ya go Kyle, go pick one up!

BigBanger
04-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Nice looking dogs.
Not sure if you have been to this site but I really like it.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greaterswissmountain.htm

04-15-2010, 10:58 AM
You seem to like the black, white and brown dog thing!
they look like a cool dog.

But dont write off bird hunting, It is way more fun when you hunt with your dog. Especially up where you live where there is lotsa grouse and ducks

Ben Fougere
04-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Looks like a good breed to me. I was looking at this breed before we got our dog, but chose a chesapeake instead. I wanted a dog to hunt with, but also one that was unique and able to go for hikes up the mountain side.

Did you consider this dog's size as a factor? I read that they can reach weights over 130 pounds. Our Chessie, Kingston, as of yesterday weighs 89 pounds and sometimes, when he's excited, it can be a lot to handle on the leash. My wife has a hard enough time with an 89 pound dog. I could only imagine 130lbs.

BCTRUCKER
04-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Look up the golden mountain dog. Its a Burnise, golden retriever cross. I
got one just before Christmas. I have a female thats 6 months old. 100+ lbs.
The best of both breeds. Very easy to train.

MIKE