PDA

View Full Version : Bison Zone A or B

KB90
04-13-2010, 06:38 PM
A bunch of my family are putting in for buffalo hunt, and were not sure which zone to put in for.

I noticed the odds were quite a bit higher for zone A. Why are more people putting in for A than B? Is it that much of a better hunt? Animal Numbers? Access?

Cheers Kyle.

eaglesj
04-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Zone A is more open than Zone B. Zone B is more forested in the Valleys. However, a lot of people in Zone A pay the 175 dollar per person fee to cross the indian land where you do not need to pay that fee in Zone B. However, we did have troubles accessing the south area of Zone B last year because the only crossing was on the private property of the people that own the lodge/outfitting company in Zone B, and they would not let us cross the river on their property because we did not stay at the lodge.

Most people say Zone A is an easier hunt.

tomahawk
04-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Zone "A" success rates are far better than "B" as noted again this last season. Most guys that I talked to in "B" were leaving the area having never seen a bison the whole trip. "A" hunters were for the most part choosing which bison to shoot. The odds are what they are because hunters have caught on to where the bison now go when the season opens and that's area "A"

curt
04-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Simple zone A has vehicle access almost right to the bison zone b is a whole lot more work only snowmoblie or quad accessable is most spots in B

04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Sounds like you should go "A" Kyle!

tuchodi
04-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I have had success in both A & B but A is defiantly easier to hunt and chances are better. It's a $175 question.

waistdeep
04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
if you go in the early season when other species are available, then it is $175 per person in your group. That does make a difference!

Darksith
04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
it will all be different now that there are hunts into january though. It should be much easier to access zone b in january than in the early part of the hunt.

Fraink
04-15-2010, 05:38 AM
I'll have to check again but I only saw Jan. hunts available in zone A. I agree acess is better in A, have been both and saw more bison in A.

Boombb
05-03-2010, 10:20 PM
also interested in bison hunt this year.....

Wondering if that BS toll is required both ways?

( thinking heli in - out?)

Mik
05-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Been in both areas, successful both times.There are many posts on this site regarding both areas and even how to get around the $ charges. Good luck with the draw.

MuleyMadness
05-03-2010, 10:44 PM
also interested in bison hunt this year.....

Wondering if that BS toll is required both ways?

( thinking heli in - out?)

Little problem with that:

It is unlawful to:

to hunt or transport hunters or wildlife
by a helicopter.

right out of the regs

Honestly if I was hunting up there, and there were plentyful game on the reserve land, or on land only reasonable accessed via the reserve, I would pay it. You are gonna spend that much on fuel driving around it for 2 weeks anyways, you might as well save yourself some time on top of it. It's called spending a buck to save 10 cents I believe.