PDA

View Full Version : kootenay elk

blackwater moose
04-12-2010, 01:49 PM
my wife and i are looking into a kootaney( region 4) elk hunt at the end of september early october before we head up for our annual moose hunt. we have not hunted the kootaney's and we are looking for some leads to any area's that might be productive.

Ddog
04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
thats not a very good joke buddy.

04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Hey BM,
There is about to be a bunch o' flack comming your way. That question is a doosie! Them EK'ers dont like giving up their spots, or any spots for that matter.
Seems there is alot of elk in reg4 and its setting up to be busy this year. Get the back road map book and pick somewhere where ther is a lot or roads to explore.
I have only hunted that way once so i have no info

Good luck to you

blackwater moose
04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
sorry, as per unofficial site rules ,joke first question later.

Two friends rented a boat and fished in a lake every day. one day they caught 30 fish.one guy says to his friend.
"mark this spot so we can come back here again tommorrow. "
the next day when they were going to rent the boat, the same guy asked his friend, " did you mark the spot ?"
the first one said " yeah, i put a big X on the bottom of the boat"
the first one said " you idiot ! what if we don't get the same boat today ?"

moosinaround
04-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Funny Joke for sure...........................................but I don't think it will yield any elk spots!! Welcome to HBC! Moosin

Buckman
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
No elk in the kootenays all ran away to west kootenays, try Castelgar!

Darksith
04-12-2010, 04:43 PM
good luck getting any info from the EK boys. They are dirty hunters that don't give up any spots, even if they have elk running down main street!

GoatGuy
04-12-2010, 05:41 PM
You name it there's elk and there's no 'secret spots' in the EK just spots that are overlooked. Starting on the west side back end of the redding, couple spots up st.mary's, findlay, dutch creek all have good spots. That's only a couple mu's to get you started.

blackwater moose
04-12-2010, 05:54 PM
i would never ask anyone for their "secret spot" , all hunters have a spot or 2 that they favour , me included , just a point in the general direction and we will do the rest .

Poguebilt
04-12-2010, 06:01 PM
look up bull river on a map.... good luck....

04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
You can't go wrong anyplace south of Fairmont, lots of elk everyplace, go up any logging road. You will need to hike a little to get away from the crowds and the roads. You'll find the EK boys are not as bad as these guys are letting on,,,, just plain country folks just like everywhere else in rural BC.

Ddog
04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
ummmm,,,correction there 6616, ya,,we are that bad. there is no elk,,waste of time driving up here.;)

Hunterguy
I think this year there will be so many hunters that even the Griz will be nervous!!!

blackwater moose
fella i hunt with used to work on the coast, and always complained about the PG boys. that is until one year he moved up to PG. his response " I are they "

blackwater moose
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
with the grizz nervous , that should let the pressure off the sheep

Lillypuff
04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I would try up around ELKFORD and Fernie, Lake Koocanusa is a gong show but there are elk there

Poguebilt
04-12-2010, 07:24 PM
H47 is moving to town.... better off going to PG now I figure!!!

Rocksteady is making some kind of Elk hunting gang and anyone not invited better look out :mrgreen:

eastkoot
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
my wife and i are looking into a kootaney( region 4) elk hunt at the end of september early october before we head up for our annual moose hunt. we have not hunted the kootaney's and we are looking for some leads to any area's that might be productive.

You didn't have to post the second joke, the first one was good enough:twisted:

Fisher-Dude
04-12-2010, 07:35 PM
You'll find the EK boys are not as bad as these guys are letting on,,,, just plain country folks just like everywhere else in rural BC.

http://www.torbwine.com/funnies/hillbillies_files/image001.jpg

Jagermeister
04-12-2010, 07:43 PM

Fawk, now that is FuNNNy! ********!

j270wsm
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I would try up around ELKFORD and Fernie, Lake Koocanusa is a gong show but there are elk there

Thanks for throwing us ELKFORD folks under the bus.

hoyt
04-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Well this is one LOADED question! Just go to an area, use your sight, do call, and pay attention to the hills, you will find them, it isn't easy but they are there. Just put in some honest time and things will fall into place one day.
Don't expect it to happen and it just might! If you had horses, you'd be golden, getting away from the crouds always helps, but you can pull it off on foot too, just keep on going.
I can't say where to start, but hey, they are all over the place, time will pay off for you one day if you are real in your hunting and effort.

04-12-2010, 10:19 PM

Those guys just gotta be from Kelowna, Oceola hill billies I'd guess, from left to right Goatguy, One Shot Wonder, and Fisher-dude.

quincy
04-12-2010, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Buckman;659822]No elk in the kootenays all ran away to west kootenays, try Castelgar![/QUOT

Ive lived in castlegar for 20 years and never seen an elk, They may be here but the terrain is to gnarly to spot them let alone hunt them. Now the gentle rolling hills of the east koots, thats elk country.:-D

04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
ummmm,,,correction there 6616, ya,,we are that bad. there is no elk,,waste of time driving up here.;)

At least our knuckles don't drag on the ground when we walk like those Oceola boys...!

Glassman
04-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Dodge Creek. Just south and east of Creston.
Hey EKers, Pay it Forward. One day you will need it and appreciate that someone did it for you. What goes around comes around. Thanks to the guys that helped my 2 boys and myself. Kept us in steaks and jerky and pepperoni for most of the year.

Ghost Stalker
04-12-2010, 11:57 PM
u can sure pick out the road hunters hey lilly..lol

hunter1947
04-13-2010, 03:58 AM
Lamb creek above moyie lake holds a good number of elk this lake is about 18 miles before you come to cranbrook the logging road that heads off into this area is off highway 3 it is on your left side to wards the Cranbrook side at the end of the lake ,there is a campsite there as well ,good luck with your elk hunt this year http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif ..

boyd050
04-13-2010, 09:46 PM
good luck getting any info from the EK boys. They are dirty hunters that don't give up any spots, even if they have elk running down main street!
which we do......:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

sawmill
04-14-2010, 05:53 AM
I`m seeing over a hundred a day just out of town but it`s private land.Bull River is a gong show,same as Perry Creek and St. Mary`s.

Vader
04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Just do a search for Jelvis... his posts pretty much identify 90% of the places known to mankind.. Take you a while to read them all though.. :-D

igojuone
04-14-2010, 03:47 PM
sorry, as per unofficial site rules ,joke first question later.

Two friends rented a boat and fished in a lake every day. one day they caught 30 fish.one guy says to his friend.
"mark this spot so we can come back here again tommorrow. "
the next day when they were going to rent the boat, the same guy asked his friend, " did you mark the spot ?"
the first one said " yeah, i put a big X on the bottom of the boat"
the first one said " you idiot ! what if we don't get the same boat today ?"

OK I got the joke so here is your answer, if you don't get the same boat just keep trolling you'll get lucky sooner or later.

Magnumb
04-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Pretty hard to go wrong in the EK's, every second town, river, mountain, and creek has the name elk in it for good reason.:-D

Moose Guide
04-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Irishman Creek, or so I've been told

hunter1947
04-17-2010, 03:26 AM
Irishman Creek, or so I've been told

I know where that creek is and that creek is not named after an elk :confused:..

Moose Guide
04-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I know where that creek is and that creek is not named after an elk :confused:..
I thought he wanted ELKOHOL and thought Irish whiskey would flow from said creek:wink:

bearhunter338-06
04-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Oh to be young again

I thought he wanted ELKOHOL and thought Irish whiskey would flow from said creek:wink:

Ghost Stalker
04-17-2010, 10:59 PM
thought i might throw this lil diddy in... what method of hunting do u plan on using?.......driving hiking or driving? if ur gonna drive then GODS SPEED MY CHILD, but if ur gonna hike then find a road closure or a no road valley. any will do but make sure that it is not a outfit territory or u might have to put an extra mile on. if ur gonna road hunt then stay home.. the old dogs got most roads patrolled pretty good.

hunter1947
04-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Like I had mentioned earlier on this thread on where to go for elk in the EK.
It is as good as you can get ,this place is fair elk hunting if you get out and put some foot miles on..