PDA

View Full Version : stone sheep advice

sheepaholic
04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi, just wondering if anyone had advice on where to start for a backpack stone sheep hunt doesnt matter how far north or how far to hike looking to go for approx. 10 days?
any help would be awsome.

dutchie
04-12-2010, 10:46 AM
As per site rules... Joke first and then rebuttle! :D

Or was the question the joke?

Dutchie

sheepaholic
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
fairly new to this just looking for advice

04-12-2010, 11:03 AM
There is a site requirement for a joke to be posted first, Then you ask questions :)

Unofficial forum rules.
If i knew anything about sheep id let you in on it, but i dont. Sorry

Welcome to the site
And if you go to the "search" function on the top to the left of the sign in spot punch in "stonesheep" or "sheep" OR "stone". It will show you all threads with this in it. You can surf old posts.

bighornbob
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi, just wondering if anyone had advice on where to start for a backpack stone sheep hunt doesnt matter how far north or how far to hike looking to go for approx. 10 days?
any help would be awsome.

Are you looking at using horses, being dropped off by plane or jet boat, hiking from the highway etc. Need more info on how you plan to hunt.

But basically a plane will get you out the farthest away from the highway traffic and guys on horses but also the most expensive.

BHB

sheepaholic
04-12-2010, 11:10 AM
i was planning on hiking in somewhere from the hiway, not sure what direction to head on a fly in hunt definatly open to the option of flying but would prefer to hike in

Kirby
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Just hit the search button. Look up some stone sheep threads, stone sheep lakes, etc. Tons of information here, sheep areas aren't given out. You'll get some ideas then you just gotta go out and burn some boot leather.

KodiakHntr
04-12-2010, 11:36 AM
People whining about needing a joke first is really getting kind of tiresome.

If Marc wanted a joke as the first post it would have been stated as such upon sign up.

Kirby
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

bigwhiteys
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Take a day trip up the highway on August 1st. Keep note of all the pickups and vehicles parked at drainages/washes/creeks between Summit and Muncho. Drive home and come back in two weeks...

Most guys will be gone and then you can just pick a spot and go... They pretty much all have sheep as evidenced by the amount of vehicles you will see parked.

Carl

sheepaholic
04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
thanks guys
ive been looking at maps and at google earth and thinking about hiking into the yedhe lakes has anyone been in there? whats the area like?

Brett
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
You might run into a couple guys that way, second or so week of August :mrgreen:

Gateholio
04-12-2010, 02:40 PM

If Marc wanted a joke as the first post it would have been stated as such upon sign up.

Yeah, the joke thing is ridiculous. I've pointed out several times that there is no "joke requirement" but people persist...

sheepaholic
04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
wolud it be better to hike in off the road or use a utv to get back aways then hike like the churchill copper mine road or the yedhe road? has anyone quaded into the prophet river before?

bridger
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
can't quad into the prophet sheep areas

sheepaholic
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
hey bridger
what is the prophet like i had a buddy offer to take me up there in his boat and drop me off but never hunted that country before

Bear Chaser
04-12-2010, 06:07 PM

X3. This is a hunting forum. If I wanted to read jokes I`d look elsewhere. If somebody wants to share a humorous hunting or outdoors story that`s great. It shouldn`t be expected or encouraged as a need to get respect around here. Just my .02.

KodiakHntr
04-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah, the joke thing is ridiculous. I've pointed out several times that there is no "joke requirement" but people persist...

Infractions handed out for guys who demand jokes might be a good place to start......

I'm just sayin'

bridger
04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
hey bridger
what is the prophet like i had a buddy offer to take me up there in his boat and drop me off but never hunted that country before

your buddy would have to have a really good boat and be a really good skinner to get up into the prophet sheep country. the river has lots of boulder patches and shelves once you get above the mouth of the besa and isn't a place you want to riverboat without having your affairs in order. some guys fly into the head of the prophet and float out with a raft but that takes some experience as well. you can fly into the head of the prophet and back pack over in to zoo valley and the head of the west fork of the muskwa. better idea than a river boat.