PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help on bear hunt !!

Photonuts
04-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi everyone, I was at Squamish Valley road yesterday trying to tag my first bear. For the whole day, I only seen one bear 500+ yds away which is on the other side of river! (At appox 34 mile) But I have no idea how to find the bear, I checked most of the logging road, and we drove up and down like 3 times. Is that anything we do wrong? Please help !!

Kirby
04-12-2010, 10:45 AM
sounds like your doing the right thing. Its still a bit early, I only saw the first one of the year yesterday for myself.

Watch the south facing slopes with fresh green grass.

Marlin375
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Sounds to me like you had a good day. Its early, and you saw a Bear, next weekend you will see a couple more. Relax, the fun part is finding them then watching them...should I or should'nt I. Nothing worse than getting one in the first hour on the first day out. Try hitting the evening hours instead of the morning, bears really like feeding in the late afternoon.

yukon john
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Your doing it right IMO, keep at it, its still early. Its important not to get desperate because you 're not seeing many. If you do you may jump outta the truck and blast one only to hear cubs in the treeline, I've had some close calls over the years, you gotta be careful. Good luck

YJ

ratherbefishin
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Yes, I always used to go out at first light-and saw a few bears, but more when we were going home later on-so decided to go out AFTER lunch and stay till dark-voila'-saw more bears.And while the odd one is being taken now,May seems to be more productive.Another thing I observed-was we saw more bear sign lower down than higher up-stands to reason, more grass greening up lower down earlier in the season.oh-and one more thing-only look on the HIGH side of the road...you'll figure it out if you shoot one DOWNHILL

JeremyCarrano302
04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
i was all over hells half acre yesterday the greenery is just starting to come up in the higher regions and i didnt see any sign either wait till the beginning of may and it hopefully will be warmer out and more movement

Surrey Boy
04-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes, I always used to go out at first light-and saw a few bears, but more when we were going home later on-so decided to go out AFTER lunch and stay till dark-voila'-saw more bears.And while the odd one is being taken now,May seems to be more productive.Another thing I observed-was we saw more bear sign lower down than higher up-stands to reason, more grass greening up lower down earlier in the season.oh-and one more thing-only look on the HIGH side of the road...you'll figure it out if you shoot one DOWNHILL

Absolutely right. You want to roll it downhill rather than drag it up. Also remember to never shoot a moose in a swamp, even in only two feet of water.

bigwhiteys
04-12-2010, 12:27 PM
But I have no idea how to find the bear, I checked most of the logging road, and we drove up and down like 3 times.

Only 3 times...??? It's pretty much standard bear hunter knowledge you've got to put in 4 passes. You were just one more round trip away from your bear!

Instead of burning up Gas find some spots where you can glass opposing (and accessible) hillsides that have grass/recontoured roads with a good vantage. Sit there for a few hours when the sun is out... It doesn't take much foliage to hide a bear in a clearcut and you could just be driving by at all the wrong times. So increase the speed of your runs (get more in) or slow down and watch what nature does around you :)

Carl

MichelD
04-12-2010, 12:36 PM
"we drove up and down like 3 times."

I think I know the spot he means and it can be frustrating to see a bear there, but there's no access across the river between the Ashlu and Elaho bridges.

BlacktailStalker
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Walk, dont drive.
Lots of bears arent stupid, I've sat on a bluff glassing a handfull of bears and watched them lift their head from steady feeding, turn and walk into the timber when the steady drone of a truck came in to hearing.

If that doesnt work, camp out for a couple days and eat bacon three times a day.

Photonuts
04-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Thank you very much guys! Those are very good advise. I will keep it in mind and hopefully will do better next time

Photonuts
04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. Beside Squamish, anywhere is good for a day trip? please PM me. thanks

TheDuckinator
04-19-2010, 08:48 PM
I hear lotsa good things about east harrison, but im a coquihalla hunter myself and gotta wait at least another 3 weeks.

rhinogeek
04-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Absolutely right. You want to roll it downhill rather than drag it up. Also remember to never shoot a moose in a swamp, even in only two feet of water.

Spoken like a man with experience. :-D