PDA

View Full Version : question for shed hunters

bear buster
04-11-2010, 09:52 AM
I have been out lots this spring and have still not found any moose sheds? We seen lots of bulls this winter and kept tabs on them, still no moose sheds. Where do you guys find most moose sheds? Have found lots of deer sheds, nothing to big, still lots of snow in bush here going out again today. Thanks in advance, Carson.

Darksith
04-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I usually find my moose sheds on the ground. Seem to have more success looking there than when Im walking around looking up!

Alpine85
04-11-2010, 03:41 PM
When in the winter did you see the moose? Usually go look where you see moose in the end of November tell Christmas time. Moose shed early so if you are watching them in February chances are the bulls shed up in higher ground then moved down a bit lower. This is what I have found, when out looking for moose and moose sheds.

ufishifish2
04-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Around here, there is still lots of snow on the ground in the areas I typically find moose sheds.

bear buster
04-11-2010, 09:03 PM
still seen moose packing doubles in end of Jan, mid Feb.

whitetailsheds
04-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Moose sheds are usually a S.O.B........get a helicopter and check meadows.

Ghost Stalker
04-12-2010, 12:22 AM
if you been seeing moose still packin' in feb then ur a glue huffer!!!most all moose horn on the ground in december! might wanns stretch ue legs once in a while.

hunter1947
04-12-2010, 04:14 AM
It might be that the moose sheds are under the snow moose are one of the first to drop there head gear Dec ,maybe wait till the snow has left then head out to the areas where you had seen lots of bulls earlier..

srupp
04-12-2010, 04:26 AM
hmm STILL seeing deer packing headgear last week..

srr

Ghost Stalker
04-12-2010, 02:50 PM
no you weren't

dana
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I picked up my first fresh paddle of the season the first week of Dec. My bet is if you ain't finding paddles you are either hitting a cow/calf area or the paddles are still buried under the snow. Pretty easy to tell if you are in a cow/calf versus bull area by the scat. Also look for big rubs. The bulls rub hard to knock those paddles off. Normally a paddle isn't too far away from a rub if not right under it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/April22010033a.jpg

hunter1947
04-13-2010, 04:06 AM
I picked up my first fresh paddle of the season the first week of Dec. My bet is if you ain't finding paddles you are either hitting a cow/calf area or the paddles are still buried under the snow. Pretty easy to tell if you are in a cow/calf versus bull area by the scat. Also look for big rubs. The bulls rub hard to knock those paddles off. Normally a paddle isn't too far away from a rub if not right under it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/April22010033a.jpg

Thats a dandy moose pick up you posted Dana http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif..

Squamch
04-13-2010, 10:50 AM
no you weren't

I guess you're A wildlife biologist or...?
I saw bucks with last years headgear still on this last weekend.

bear buster
04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
[quote=Ghost Stalker;659485]if you been seeing moose still packin' in feb then ur a glue huffer!!!most all moose horn on the ground in december! might wanns stretch ue legs once in a while.
we walk plenty thanks, and yes we have seen moose in late jan and up to feb 17 with bone.

dana
04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
My son saw a bull still packin' one side in mid-March this year. If you want a timeframe of when they drop, you pretty much can say between the end of Nov and the middle of March. ;)

mark
04-13-2010, 09:15 PM
My son saw a bull still packin' one side in mid-March this year. If you want a timeframe of when they drop, you pretty much can say between the end of Nov and the middle of March. ;)

X2... a buddy of mine was snowmobiling at sub-alpine level, in march, a couple years ago. he took a pic of 2 monster bull moose still packing! He's not a hunter, didnt know that it was odd, just sent me the pics!

The moral of this story is, there's no solid rules in nature, only general ones!

Buckmeister
04-13-2010, 11:00 PM
I've found moose sheds in the sub alpine and the valley floor. However, almost every shed I've found has been on a wide game trail or even an old road. My personal theory is that they like to stick to ease of access trails during the deeper snow periods. But with the low snowpack this last winter, they could be just about anywhere.

hunter1947
04-14-2010, 05:54 AM
I have been out lots this spring and have still not found any moose sheds? We seen lots of bulls this winter and kept tabs on them, still no moose sheds. Where do you guys find most moose sheds? Have found lots of deer sheds, nothing to big, still lots of snow in bush here going out again today. Thanks in advance, Carson.

bear buster It would be interesting for you to back step in this area you have seen all the moose after the snow has left if you find a few moose sheds this will tell others on this forum that they where indeed under the snow at this time..

Springer
04-14-2010, 08:24 PM
I saw a Cranker Whitetail last saturday packing both sides. I have mostly picked up 2-3 yr old Sheds so hopefully I will stumble onto some decent ones.

I walk the Trails used by Deer all winter and some of the field they feed in mostly. But you never know. My Best whitetail shed was beside the fenceline along a gravel road. I searched extensively in the area for the other side but my fear is it fell off on the road and someone picked it up already.

Put the time and miles in on your quest for Moose sheds or ,just follow Dana around,he seems to have it figured out !!

Good luck.